RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Freshmen phenoms say women should be able to turn pro sooner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/01/21 12:41 pm    ::: Freshmen phenoms say women should be able to turn pro sooner Reply Reply with quote

https://sports.yahoo.com/freshmen-phenoms-women-able-turn-064907051.html

Quote:
“I’m a believer in living in the now and right now I don’t have that choice” said Bueckers

PostPosted: 04/01/21 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope she feels this strongly about the subject in 2023. Very Happy

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
blaase22

PostPosted: 04/01/21 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are right, allowing foreign women into the league at 19 but not Americans is such bullshit.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/01/21 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
They are right, allowing foreign women into the league at 19 but not Americans is such bullshit.

+1

PostPosted: 04/01/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers may be good against her college peers, but in no way, shape or form is she WNBA-ready, so it's a moot issue.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/01/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
Bueckers may be good against her college peers, but in no way, shape or form is she WNBA-ready, so it's a moot issue.

I’m very skeptical that she’d be ready enough to have an impact at the WNBA level, especially as a starter. But Napheesa Collier’s trainer/fiancé seems to feel differently.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/01/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:

She's one of the best players in college basketball. Both the raw stats and the number of awards she's either won or been shortlisted for supports that. Meanwhile, in two weeks teams are about to draft 36 players, at least a dozen or so of which will make rosters. Most of them will be college players who weren't as good as Bueckers this year. Several will get a decent amount of minutes in the WNBA this year.

She might not be ready to be an absolute superstar at the pro level, but come on. She'd at least be decent, even right now.

PostPosted: 04/01/21 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And1 wrote:

She's one of the best players in college basketball. Both the raw stats and the number of awards she's either won or been shortlisted for supports that. Meanwhile, in two weeks teams are about to draft 36 players, at least a dozen or so of which will make rosters. Most of them will be college players who weren't as good as Bueckers this year. Several will get a decent amount of minutes in the WNBA this year.

She might not be ready to be an absolute superstar at the pro level, but come on. She'd at least be decent, even right now.

Agreed ...

So here's a question: Would it make more sense to have women's basketball fans and media focus on either the WNBA or college basketball? Would it be better to have one healthier aspect of the game as opposed to two that fragment the audience?

I don't think so, but consider major league baseball. If college baseball were equally popular, what would that mean for MLB?

A corollary: Does a player like Bueckers do more for the sport overall playing in college or playing in the WNBA?

PostPosted: 04/01/21 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

I agree. And as I said elsewhere, one way to do it would be to set 21 as the age for both. I think it's important for players to get at least two years of college under their belts. Have you noticed the difference in interviews with the women vs interviews with men. Obviously not all, but I think the women sound much more coherent and intelligent. Some of the guys can barely form a real sentence. Maybe it has nothing to do with going to college and (usually) completing a degree there, but I'm guessing it does.

shontay33

PostPosted: 04/01/21 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:

What makes her not ready for the WNBA? If a 19 year old from Russia or China can get drafted and brought into training camp, why can’t she? I’m sure that if given the chance, she would definitely be in training camp with the Senior national team for USAB. She has already proven herself at the college level and is very marketable due to her following. What more does she need? I’m sure with her IQ and ability, she can hold her own.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/01/21 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
She might not be ready to be an absolute superstar at the pro level, but... She'd at least be decent, even right now.

I agree with all of this, especially since she now has a full season’s worth of games to show that she’s good. Little to no drop-off – she’s for real.

If she wanted to make money, she (and other good young players ineligible to get drafted into the W) could simply drop out of school & start playing overseas up until she gets eligible for the Draft. That would probably be a better route for a W-ready player like her to continue her b-ball development in rather than stay in college, even at a program like UConn’s. Would people forget about her in time? Perhaps not if she signs an endorsement deal or two upon dropping out of school & turning pro, and rides it out until she’s Draft-eligible. Who knows. It hasn’t been done before on the women’s side with such an elite & popular player.

And should the W drop its overall age limit to what the NBA’s is? I say sure, why not. With the transfer portal, things have now more than ever before become a total cesspool with regards to the transfer market for coaches. Total shitshow anyway, so what’s more chaos at this point? Bueckers & others could wait for the NCAA to be dramatically reformed and hope they’re some of the first ones to get paid as high-marketability student-athletes, but that could certainly take a while the way that change often only inches along. If Bueckers herself continues to talk about how she wishes she had the choice to (whether or not she’d actually do it is beside the point), eventually the W might have to address it sooner or later. I wish they had the ability to do it now.

blaase22 wrote:
allowing foreign women into the league at 19 but not Americans is such bullshit.

And I agree with this as well. IMO the W needs to stop helping NCAA wbb out with keeping younger student-athletes out of Draft eligibility and keeping them in the NCAA by default (generally speaking) – especially now that the NCAA is on the brink of a complete overhaul.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/01/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
And1 wrote:

I’m very skeptical that she’d be ready enough to have an impact at the WNBA level, especially as a starter. But Napheesa Collier’s trainer/fiancé seems to feel differently.

And you were just as skeptical about and critical of Collier ... and then Napheesa won WNBA ROY.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/01/21 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But does it really hurt the WNBA to keep these players out until they're 21/22? They get free development, they get all the publicity and profile-building for people like Bueckers while they're in college, and then they get to bring them into the league when some of the stars already have this cult following behind them. And remember, Bueckers is the very rare case of superstardom as a freshman. Some of the others might've been building something in their first year, but most take two or three at least to really draw attention.

We can talk about 'fairness' all we want - and I've been saying for years that the difference in rules for Americans and non-Americans was a nonsense - but unless someone challenges it in court, these are collectively bargained rules. That means changing them either has to make sense for both sides, or be wanted enough by one side for them to really push for it. Do the players really want to open up their league for people to come in at a younger age (when the new entries could take their jobs, and have opportunities that they didn't have)? Do the League want to let players in at a younger age, reducing the benefits mentioned above, forcing teams to draft with less information on player quality and carry players on their rosters for more years of early development?

I'd be surprised to see any particularly wholesale changes.

PostPosted: 04/01/21 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

19 year old foreigners usually start playing professional basketball from 16 - against women. That's the difference.

But, honestly this discussion is mote if were stuck with 12 leagues. Where are they going to go? It's very rare a great foreign bb player comes on the scene when we have a #1 prospect out of high school every year.

Expand the league by two teams or even simpler allow 13-15 players on the roster of 12 existing teams. How many good with potential to be great players don't make a roster every year because were stuck with 12 teams - 12 player roster. That's more important than one and done kids.

PostPosted: 04/01/21 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
19 year old foreigners usually start playing professional basketball from 16 - against women. That's the difference.

Also those players are generally not very effective at 19, even the good ones. Cambage was a part time starter who scored 11 ppg. LoJack shot 37% (31% from three) and was repeatedly exposed on defense. That's the high end of what teens do in the W. More commonly they look like JiSu Park.

PostPosted: 04/01/21 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Also those players are generally not very effective at 19, even the good ones. Cambage was a part time starter who scored 11 ppg. LoJack shot 37% (31% from three) and was repeatedly exposed on defense. That's the high end of what teens do in the W. More commonly they look like JiSu Park.

Yep! I saw a few games of Cambage as a rookie.

There's a reason why this one and done crap is surfacing for women's basketball

PostPosted: 04/01/21 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While the womens basketball players in high school are certainly better athletically than their couner parts over seas as a whole. Technically and in respect to learning other aspects of the game they are usually not ready to transition their talents to a higher level. They are stars in high school who basically use their superior athletic ability to dominate there competition. They still have to learn how to integrate their indigidual skills into the team whole. As Geno said, players know how, they just need t learn when.

Beuckers. would seem to be the exception. She knows the game very well and it might be to her advantage to go directly to the Pro's. Perhaps with her first season spent over seas.

PostPosted: 04/03/21 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cheyanne Parker had a great and extremely valuable take on this topic:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNNGBp5r0Cv/

It is amazing to see how many players have declared already... Training camp is going to be a dog fight....gracious we need expansion: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNNpwbBhCnI/

Shades

PostPosted: 04/03/21 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

It is amazing to see how many players have declared already... Training camp is going to be a dog fight....gracious we need expansion: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNNpwbBhCnI/

Did she ever graduate?

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 04/04/21 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Did she ever graduate?

I hope so, but I'm not sure.

On a related note: https://twitter.com/lexiekiah_4/status/1377083025087926273

Sad Laughing

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:

It's not a moot issue. Paige would be the #1 pick in the draft and she would be used as an investment in the future, like men's players are, or as a bargaining chip for a team that wants to trade the pick to win now.

The top 3 prospects in WCBB are Bueckers, Clark, and Boston and they would be the top 3 picks in this draft. Are any of them ready to be elite yet? No. Paige has to get stronger, Clark needs improvements on D, and Boston has to get in shape. What they all have though, is potential, and there is zero chance, if eligible to go in the 2021 draft, that they wouldn't be the top 3 picks.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/09/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
And1 wrote:

It's not a moot issue. Paige would be the #1 pick in the draft and she would be used as an investment in the future, like men's players are, or as a bargaining chip for a team that wants to trade the pick to win now.

The top 3 prospects in WCBB are Bueckers, Clark, and Boston and they would be the top 3 picks in this draft. Are any of them ready to be elite yet? No. Paige has to get stronger, Clark needs improvements on D, and Boston has to get in shape. What they all have though, is potential, and there is zero chance, if eligible to go in the 2021 draft, that they wouldn't be the top 3 picks.

X_____________

PostPosted: 04/09/21 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the NCAA loses the lawsuit about paying players, maybe we could see star players being offered more to stay in school than the WNBA pays. Not sure where that stands though.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/09/21 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
And1 wrote:

Exactly this.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/09/21 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the NCAA tournament, I think I got up close to double-digits in counting players who would probably be the #1 pick if they were magically made eligible for this year's draft.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: