RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Versyp finally out - Sort of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/26/21 9:27 am    ::: Versyp finally out - Sort of Reply Reply with quote

https://purduesports.com/news/2021/3/26/womens-basketball-gearlds-joins-coaching-staff-as-part-of-planned-succession.aspx

Really strange plan out of Purdue. Katie Gearlds joins the coaching staff as an associate head coach for 2021-22, and she will take over as head coach starting in the 2022-23 season.

I am sure that every Purdue fan is thrilled that something is happening, but this seems like about the worst way for it to happen.

Gearlds might be a great coach - she has certainly earned a chance to step up in the ranks. But this is a HUGE step up from an NAIA job, no matter how successful she has been. In an open search, it is hard to imagine she would have been the choice.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/26/21 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had put this in the coaching thread - just an fyi.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 03/26/21 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I posted in the other thread, being successful at one level does not always translate to the next.

This is going to be interesting.

PostPosted: 03/26/21 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

I was so excited to see her finally leaving (eventually) I jumped the gun.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/26/21 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I was so excited to see her finally leaving (eventually) I jumped the gun.

That's fine - just wanted to let you know there would be other discussion of it over there.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/26/21 4:23 pm    ::: Re: Versyp finally out - Sort of Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
https://purduesports.com/news/2021/3/26/womens-basketball-gearlds-joins-coaching-staff-as-part-of-planned-succession.aspx

Really strange plan out of Purdue. Katie Gearlds joins the coaching staff as an associate head coach for 2021-22, and she will take over as head coach starting in the 2022-23 season.

I am sure that every Purdue fan is thrilled that something is happening, but this seems like about the worst way for it to happen.

Gearlds might be a great coach - she has certainly earned a chance to step up in the ranks. But this is a HUGE step up from an NAIA job, no matter how successful she has been. In an open search, it is hard to imagine she would have been the choice.

Wow. Some people saw this as an option on the Purdue message boards months ago. Didn’t think it would happen! Which one of the former D1 head coaches on that bench does she replace?

Update: Balcomb is gone. https://purduesports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/26/21 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Karissa McLaughlin entered the portal after this.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/26/21 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

Does she have enough years of eligibility left for the coaching two years from now to even affect her?

I wonder if this will affect Kayana Traylor or Madison Layden, or that 6'6'' freshman center. I thought Purdue had a lot of talent this season but it didn't translate into wins.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/26/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Does she have enough years of eligibility left for the coaching two years from now to even affect her?

I wonder if this will affect Kayana Traylor or Madison Layden, or that 6'6'' freshman center. I thought Purdue had a lot of talent this season but it didn't translate into wins.

She was already an early graduate student, opted out (injury not completely healed) mid-season, and has a retake of her fourth year coming.

Some things I wonder.. Was she already planning to leave no matter what, or did the coaching announcement tip her to leave? Maybe she loves Sharon and doesn’t like her being ushered out, or maybe she was waiting for someone better and doesn’t want to play for Sharon another year. The timing of the two announcements seem tied.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/21 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, this is certainly a weird state of affairs. Perhaps it was not-so-gently suggested to Versyp that it was time for her to "retire" gracefully, or some such.

PostPosted: 03/28/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Layden's mom, who was her HS coach, has a great relationship with Gearlds so I doubt Madison would leave, but who knows.

Also, this is exactly what they did with Matt Painter on the men's side. He came in for a year of "coach in waiting" before taking over for Keady.

Players transfer after change, so not surprised that Karissa entered the portal and won't be surprised if others do as well. I mean, how many are in the portal already? 600ish?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/28/21 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Layden's mom, who was her HS coach, has a great relationship with Gearlds so I doubt Madison would leave, but who knows.

Also, this is exactly what they did with Matt Painter on the men's side. He came in for a year of "coach in waiting" before taking over for Keady.

Players transfer after change, so not surprised that Karissa entered the portal and won't be surprised if others do as well. I mean, how many are in the portal already? 600ish?

Fatou Diagne and Bria Hartman already have as well.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/29/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would the opening at Indiana State maybe have played a part in this? Could it be that ISU contacted KG about their job and Purdue decided they had to act now or lose their next coach?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/29/21 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

It affected Traylor, who today became the fifth player to enter to transfer portal.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that Versyp coached at IU and didn't do anything worth writing home about...she left and they rise to national prominence and become an Elite 8 team. She left for Purdue the first chance she got and a once national championship program and constant Sweet 16 contender at least becomes irrelevant and fades into oblivion. Is there a nickname for coaches who are like the kiss of death? Wink Rolling Eyes TBH, I'm surprised it took this long....

P.S. I was at the 2016 NAIA tourney when Katie won a title and mentioned her as a D1 coach someday and a few people thought I was crazy.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Interesting that Versyp coached at IU and didn't do anything worth writing home about...she left and they rise to national prominence and become an Elite 8 team. She left for Purdue the first chance she got and a once national championship program and constant Sweet 16 contender at least becomes irrelevant and fades into oblivion. Is there a nickname for coaches who are like the kiss of death? Wink Rolling Eyes TBH, I'm surprised it took this long....

P.S. I was at the 2016 NAIA tourney when Katie won a title and mentioned her as a D1 coach someday and a few people thought I was crazy.

Poison.

A college friend's daughter played at IU under Versyp. Dunno why, I guess it was just the place that offered her.

PostPosted: 03/30/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never followed IU much until I moved here a few years ago. Since then, I've been impressed by Teri Moren and I like her a lot. It was a heartbreaker though when IU upset Iowa at the tail end of the conference regular season in 2019. Were it not for that game, Iowa would have won the regular season B1G title.

Interestingly, Purdue/Versyp also upset Iowa earlier that season.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/30/21 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

In fairness, she was at IU for a year (made the WNIT) and it isn't like IU has much of a history in WBB. That year was also 2005-06, 15 years ago, and they have gone through other coaches between Versyp and Moren. And she wasn't forced out of IU, she chose to take the offer to return to her alma mater, which is why she left there after only a single season.

IU NCAA Tournament history to date:
1983 - 2nd round (6 seed)
1994 - 1st round (12 seed)
1995 - 1st round (14 seed)
2002 - 1st round (9 seed)

2016 - 2nd round (9 seed)
2019 - 2nd round (10 seed)

So, prior to this season, they had 3 total NCAA Tournament wins and their highest seed had been a #6.

2021 - Elite 8 (4 seed)

They would have been an NCAA Tournament team last year as well and a pretty high seed. They are in much better shape than Purdue and were clearly the top team in Indiana the last couple of years, over Notre Dame, Purdue, Butler, IUPUI, etc.

FYI, this is also Moren's 7th season at the helm. She is a very good coach and had a lot of connections from her previous stop at Indiana State. She has done a great job there for sure.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/30/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not only did Versyp drop IU after a year to go to Purdue, but Moren left her ISU team plane on the tarmac (on the way to Costa Rico for summer trip) to take the IU job.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/30/21 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Not only did Versyp drop IU after a year to go to Purdue, but Moren left her ISU team plane on the tarmac (on the way to Costa Rico for summer trip) to take the IU job.

I heard that was a myth. Is that really true? Man, that's brutal lol.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/31/21 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I heard that was a myth. Is that really true? Man, that's brutal lol.

https://www.tribstar.com/sports/todd-golden-manner-of-moren-s-exit-from-isu-highlights-player-coach-inequity/article_17c24998-21d8-11e4-8930-001a4bcf887a.html

Quote:
When IU athletic director Fred Glass called Moren to offer her the job on Saturday, ISU’s women’s team was in the air en route to Miami to catch their connecting flight to Costa Rica for their much-anticipated foreign trip.

Moren and Glass weren’t able to get in-touch until the Sycamores landed. Once there, Moren was offered and accepted the IU job.

Obviously, this was never going to be an easy situation, and to be fair, it left Moren in a bad spot to make a very hard choice. She could continue on with the Sycamores and coach in Costa Rica in a lame duck role, or, back out and return to Indiana to embark on her new adventure with the Hoosiers.

Moren chose the latter, hopped a flight in Miami and returned to Indiana.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: