RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Could Bueckers become a women's basketball pioneer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/21 9:24 am    ::: Could Bueckers become a women's basketball pioneer? Reply Reply with quote

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/womens-college-basketball/is-uconn-freshman-paige-bueckers-the-player-to-break-the-mold-of-womens-hoops

Quote:
Green wondered why Bueckers couldn't declare for the WNBA Draft after her freshman season and argued that it might be good for women's basketball if she did.

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers has been put on a likely unsustainable pedestal too early. All it may take to knock her off it is missing three shots in a row or missing a game-winning shot.

Isn’t draft eligibility covered in the CBA that the players reworked recently and approved? So they seem okay with current guidelines. Don’t recall any grumblings about age of draft eligibility. But maybe media coverage like this will give them a new idea to grumble about.

I personally think Bueckers is going to want to play with her best friend Fudd at UConn for at least a couple years. As I already pointed out a couple times (to crickets), Bueckers appears to be eligible to enter the draft in 2023. We’ll see if she’s still considered the best at that time and whether or not she wants to enter that draft. It’s anybody’s guess.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Bueckers has been put on a likely unsustainable pedestal too early. All it may take to knock her off it is missing three shots in a row or missing a game-winning shot.

Diana Taurasi had a huge meltdown in her first F4, going 1/15 (0/11 from three) before fouling out in a 15 point UConn loss. It had no effect on her deification.

PostPosted: 03/28/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What might be nice is if people just left her alone to play and forget about what comes next.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/28/21 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
What might be nice is if people just left her alone to play and forget about what comes next.

Agree with this. Sadly I don’t see it happening. Her online army of followers is obsessed beyond measure in a toxic way. I wonder if many of them are children/teenagers?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/28/21 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless someone's going to take them to court to change the rules, like we've seen with the NFL once or twice, there's usually not much incentive to change the eligibility rules. The earlier and quicker new talent comes into the league, the quicker the current WNBPA membership loses their jobs. The League also loses their free minor league development system, and would end up having to carry people on their rosters for years of development that are currently done before they turn pro.

Without meaningful pressure from outside, the two sides negotiating the rules don't have much reason to open things up.

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh good. I was worried this thread would be about some moron writing an article/wondering if she could play in the NBA.

I love the 'stay in school' aspect of the WNBA CBA and hope they keep it. If it were changed at all, maybe lower the minimum age to 21. Right now there is the disparity between foreign players and college players in the US. I don't understand why foreign players are eligible before college players. So again if anything I would make both numbers the same and 21 seems like a good compromise.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/28/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Diana Taurasi had a huge meltdown in her first F4, going 1/15 (0/11 from three) before fouling out in a 15 point UConn loss. It had no effect on her deification.

Context matters. Diana went on to win national championships the next three years, including the final two with a less-than-stalwart supporting cast. If Paige implodes against Baylor, for example, and then leads UConn to three straight, she'll be lauded in a similar way.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Context matters. Diana went on to win national championships the next three years, including the final two with a less-than-stalwart supporting cast. If Paige implodes against Baylor, for example, and then leads UConn to three straight, she'll be lauded in a similar way.

Everyone still fawned over her before she won anything at UConn. That one bad game made no difference.

PostPosted: 03/28/21 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Everyone still fawned over her before she won anything at UConn. That one bad game made no difference.

I'll have to take your word for it; the 2001 championship between Notre Dame and Purdue was the catalyzing event that got me interested in women's basketball, but I was 8 Laughing

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/28/21 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just can’t envision Paige playing for anyone other than the Lynx, sorry. She belongs in Minnesota. Laughing

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/28/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
I just can’t envision Paige playing for anyone other than the Lynx, sorry. She belongs in Minnesota. Laughing

Though I'm guessing her choosing UConn over her hometown school means that even she doesn't necessarily agree with that. Embarassed

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/28/21 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We all know why she picked Uconn and now she has espn in her backpocket.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/28/21 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Though I'm guessing her choosing UConn over her hometown school means that even she doesn't necessarily agree with that. Embarassed

If she had stayed in Minnesota, with Clark at Iowa, now *that* would have been something for the big ten.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 03/28/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will not draw more fans to wnba. I personally don't believe the NBA one and dones grow the league - the NBA just has a VAST set of resources (including d league and g league) with which to help players develop.

From that perspective having her shoved down everyone's throat for 4 years at UConn will cement her wnba following and she will get more support learning at UConn that she would in the W or overseas.

This isn't the NBA where the top draftee will make live the rest of your life money before bouncing the ball on the court.

The money to be made is overseas and she is free to play there now.

Like it or not at this point even the majority of wnba players will still benefit from their degree.

Glad Draymond was watching to comment but he is not likely where I'm looking for advice on this matter.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: