RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 Iowa vs #4 Kentucky - 3/23/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
What's impressive to me is that Clark already has 4 assists as well. Yes, she dominates the ball, and part of it is Iowa's pace, but to be a freshman leading the country in scoring AND second in assists is insane.

Yes. She's sooo good at finding Czinano on the block as well as her other guards spotting up on the 3-point line. She loves making the skip pass from wing to wing. Luckily for Iowa, those shots are actually falling today as well. So far...

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm visualizing the national team with Clark and Bueckers playing together. This would be SO SO cool.

They played together in the U18 world championships I believe... But Clark came off the bench as the back-up PG to Bueckers while Haley Van Lith was a starter. I believe that team also had Fran Belibi (and others who are currently collegiate frosh and sophs) but I could be wrong about that. Iowa's coaching staff went all the way to Thailand to watch the world championships in their efforts to recruit Clark.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm visualizing the national team with Clark and Bueckers playing together. This would be SO SO cool.

Check out this roster! https://www.usab.com/womens/u19/roster.aspx

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
myrtle wrote:

They played together in the U18 world championships I believe... But Clark came off the bench as the back-up PG to Bueckers while Haley Van Lith was a starter. I believe that team also had Fran Belibi (and others who are currently collegiate frosh and sophs) but I could be wrong about that. Iowa's coaching staff went all the way to Thailand to watch the world championships in their efforts to recruit Clark.

Thailand was 2019. Naz was the captain. I watched online because of Naz. I kept wondering why Clark hadn’t committed yet and who was going to get her!

pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky a little more awake in the third

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a pathetic performance from Kentucky. Rolling Eyes

UK1996

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One criticism I had of Mitchell is that bigs seemed to not develop well under his system. That eventually led to us not being able to recruit great posts. The last few years our post play has been nonexistent. I know more than a few fans who thought Barnhart jumped the gun making Elzy a permanent hire. I’d like to give her a few years to recruit her own players and develop her own team. Hopefully we get back to recruiting how we did in the early 2010s. Our recruiting has never recovered from the mass exodus we had. We’ve lost every elite in state prospect to Louisville, and Oregon the last couple of years. A couple others went elsewhere like Becca Greenwell to Duke.

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Kentucky a little more awake in the third

Kentucky made a good push for the first 5 minutes of the quarter. I'm really impressed that Iowa regained their composure, took better care of the ball, and worked our offense for good shots. That's the biggest improvement they've made over the course of the season. In pretty much all of our close losses earlier this year, we started panicking and making bad decisions when facing ball pressure or when our shots weren't falling. The way they closed out the 3rd quarter showed a lot of maturity.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
One criticism I had of Mitchell is that bigs seemed to not develop well under his system. That eventually led to us not being able to recruit great posts. The last few years our post play has been nonexistent. I know more than a few fans who thought Barnhart jumped the gun making Elzy a permanent hire. I’d like to give her a few years to recruit her own players and develop her own team. Hopefully we get back to recruiting how we did in the early 2010s. Our recruiting has never recovered from the mass exodus we had. We’ve lost every elite in state prospect to Louisville, and Oregon the last couple of years. A couple others went elsewhere like Becca Greenwell to Duke.

I'd really like to see Elzy succeed. Just not when Kentucky is playing my team Smile

Speebs56

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky is just not good. Missing put backs, no defense that I have seen.

I am a bit surprised with this big lead in the 4th that Bluder is leaving Clark in. Kinda risky?

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
What a pathetic performance from Kentucky. Rolling Eyes

Or, to phrase it positively, a clinic in missed layups and minimal effort on defense.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:

I am a bit surprised with this big lead in the 4th that Bluder is leaving Clark in. Kinda risky?

Every game I’ve watched, she’s left her in. I don’t get it - unless it’s stat padding.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:

Every game I’ve watched, she’s left her in. I don’t get it - unless it’s stat padding.

It's truly not stat padding. When Clark comes out things have a tendency to fall apart, fast. I don't know the exact +/-, but Central Michigan beat us during the minutes when Clark was not in the game in the first round. I imagine we'll protect our lead until there are about two minutes left, then she comes out. Why save her for the end of the game when you can close it out now?

edit: Clark usually rest right before the media timeouts. But why do that this game when she's so on fire?

Speebs56

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:

It's truly not stat padding. When Clark comes out things have a tendency to fall apart, fast. I don't know the exact +/-, but Central Michigan beat us during the minutes when Clark was not in the game in the first round. I imagine we'll protect our lead until there are about two minutes left, then she comes out. Why save her for the end of the game when you can close it out now?

edit: Clark usually rest right before the media timeouts. But why do that this game when she's so on fire?

My only thought it potential injury -- and I don't think KY could come back and take this if Clark sat the entire second half!

mzonefan

undersized_post wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:

I haven’t seen her taken out in the final minutes with a 20+ point lead. Every game I’ve watched she’s on the court when the buzzer sounds. I’m aware of it because most coaches would protect their star.

huskiemaniac

undersized_post wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:

I love Clark, but I believe it IS stat padding.

It was glaringly obvious in one of her 30+ pt games I watched.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the player & player's coach is okay with the injury risks to the player, I'm fine with stat-padding – specifically against what should be approx. equal-level competition or higher (and technically, Kentucky is the higher seed here). AFAIC, that's on the opposing team for not being able to stop the player/team in question.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If y'all want to talk about stat padding, why is Rhyne Howard still in the game launching three pointers? To quote Joe Biden, "C'mon man!"

Final score: 86-72. Would have been a 20+ point victory if not for KY's stat padding at the end Rolling Eyes

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What an amazing performance. Go Hawkeyes (my parents went there).

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

So did mine! lol

pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

If they play like they did in the first half UConn will have their hands full

PostPosted: 03/23/21 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
If y'all want to talk about stat padding, why is Rhyne Howard still in the game launching three pointers? To quote Joe Biden, "C'mon man!"

Final score: 86-72. Would have been a 20+ point victory if not for KY's stat padding at the end Rolling Eyes

To me, stat padding implies that whoever's doing it is on the team that's winning big. Didn't think a player on the team getting blown out could stat pad if you factor in the implicit salt-in-the-wound-rubbing per se, but I definitely could be wrong; Clearly I haven't cared much about the entire concept/controversy to know or understand it. Laughing

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/23/21 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

To me, stat padding implies that whoever's doing it is on the team that's winning big. Didn't think a player on the team getting blown out could stat pad if you factor in the implicit salt-in-the-wound-rubbing per se, but I definitely could be wrong; Clearly I haven't cared much about the entire concept/controversy to know or understand it. Laughing

I don't care too much either. But I want to defend my team against the accusation that Bluder only left Clark in "for the numbers," when, meanwhile, Kentucky -- down 20 -- brought a full court press with under a minute to go and left Howard in to shoots 3's against Iowa's second- and third- string players.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/23/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

You expect a team to quit? That’s an odd take.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/23/21 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tell me again who wasn't voted first team All American and not nominated for National player of the year? Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: