RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#11 Brigham Young vs #6 Rutgers - 3/22/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/22/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Poor play calling IMO. Trying to get the wrong teammates involved in the wrong situations.

agree. CViv tends to 'let them play'
Judkins OTOH is obviously a good x's and o's coach.

And yeah, Rutgers tends to play rough, bordering on dirty. I appreciated at the end there though that Mack made that last foul without taking Gonzalez out - it could have been a truly dirty foul to take out the other team's best player, but instead it was a simple foul. Giving her credit for that.

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/22/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Not Rutgers fouling a 3PT shooter with 1 on the shot clock! I hate BYU, but Rutgers deserves to lose this game lmao.

I didn’t see shit. Refs Laughing

I get why they called it though! Giles was all up in the shooter’s grill. You don’t get so close as a defender in that situation to give the ref a reason to make that call.

Still did the shooter get knocked down or get hit on her hand? Nope, refs were terrible but Rutgers still should have won this.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/22/21 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Not Rutgers fouling a 3PT shooter with 1 on the shot clock! I hate BYU, but Rutgers deserves to lose this game lmao.

I get why they called it though! Giles was all up in the shooter’s grill. You don’t get so close as a defender in that situation to give the ref a reason to make that call.

Still did the shooter get knocked down or get hit on her hand? Nope, refs were terrible but Rutgers still should have won this.

Did they actually show it in a closeup where you could see? The part I saw was with the camera on the other side of the court and I couldn't see anything but the back of the defender. The ref was standing right there in perfect position so hard to believe it was totally a bogus call.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/22/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I get why they called it though! Gilles was all up in the shooter’s grill. You don’t get so close as a defender in that situation to give the ref a reason to make that call.

Looking back on that replay, I’d say it’s plausible. The shooter released the shot weird – maybe it was due to the shot clock running out on her, but maybe it was due to having her hand slapped by the defender (which looks like could’ve happened). I also think Gilles reacted to the foul being called in a way where she knew she screwed up, rather than pleading her case profusely that she didn’t (not that that would’ve mattered in changing the call – which, maybe that’s why she reacted the way she did, too).

But Rutgers had a multiple-possession lead midway through the 4th and let it slip away. They truly lost the game at several instances down the stretch.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/22/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go BYU! I had this upset in several brackets. Cool

Judkins is an amazing coach, imo: his players executed so well in the pressures of those last minutes, with great composure. I think he's highly unheralded.

PostPosted: 03/22/21 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do believe you can directly trace this RU loss back to Rebecca Lobo, who confidently named RU as one of the tournament teams on the come that could make noise.

IIRC, RU then lost 2 straight games after that declaration.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/22/21 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
I do believe you can directly trace this RU loss back to Rebecca Lobo, who confidently named RU as one of the tournament teams on the come that could make noise.

I was rooting for RU, but they were certainly overhyped. Their winning streak was against the bottom of the big ten. Only placed 3rd in the B1G regular season because of covid cancellations. Media just likes to hype up any team with a star player like Guirantes.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/22/21 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

Yesiree. Lobo tabbed RU as a team to watch, it then lost as the 3 seed to 6 seed Iowa in the B10 tourn, quarters, then as the 6 to 11 BYU today.

Great call, Becca.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/22/21 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Yesiree. Lobo tabbed RU as a team to watch, it then lost as the 3 seed to 6 seed Iowa in the B10 tourn, quarters, then as the 6 to 11 BYU today.

Great call, Becca.

I'd give Lobo some slack here. Rutgers had a 9 game winning streak after their Covid break, including a win over Ohio State. They lost to Maryland by only 4 early in the season. Rutgers was appropriately seeded at 6 but I saw them as a team that could go either way because their resume was so thin.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/22/21 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Great call, Becca.

I'd give Lobo some slack here

Be my guest.

Lobo cursed the Scarlet Harlots, and I'm glad she did. Very Happy

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/21 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Be my guest.

Lobo cursed the Scarlet Harlots, and I'm glad she did. Very Happy[/quote]

Hey, no call for that. That's just ugly.

I was cheering for Rutgers because I never cheer for BYU. They're just in a group I don't routinely cheer for. It's complicated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: