Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/08/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
That explains trading for the 2nd round pick (not that the two things are related)

Now they can go post with one pick and back up PG with the other

how about Walker at 8 and Gondrezick at 16

Sloot/Gondrezick
Copper/Quigley
Deshields/Williams
Stevens/Hebard/Walker
Parker/Dolson

(I also try to mess around with the starters and came up with this one which seems more modern WNBA style)

I agree it’s probably some strategy like that. The thing about Wade is he probably doesn’t have an aversion to small PG’s, since he was a small PG himself. Could one of the perceived Top 2 PG’s (Evans or McDonald) be available at #8? I think it’s very possible considering they both have been underwhelming lately and when you consider where Dangerfield went last year. Others like Kiana Williams and Slocum have been getting performance upticks in their stock, but maybe those two can be gotten with 16. Hard to say how Wade ranks the PG’s in this class, since everyone has their own perspective.
He’ll probably have a list of guards ranked and a list of posts ranked and maybe an overall ranking between the two groups. Do you figure Walker will be the best player available at #8? I haven’t been as high on Walker as you and Root, probably because Alabama is not a very interesting team to watch compared to others. My guess is a better choice will be available at #8. I think Wade might be targeting a cheap replacement for Dolson next season if he can’t unload her this season, so true bigs like Thompson or Staiti might be good choices for that possibly available at #16.

Walker shoots three which I believeWade likes

Yes flipping it and taking Evans, Westbrook or Slocum at 8 and maybe walker, Jones and Thopson at 16 could also work. Hadn't really considered Staiti that high but she has been playing well lately

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/08/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dp

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/08/21 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And... voilà:

Quote:
The Chicago Sky have signed Astou Ndour to a 1-year deal.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/08/21 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is going to be an 11-player roster, barring a trade that moves someone like Dolson. So it makes sense for one of those picks to be a foreign player who won't show up. With Mavunga gone it's hard to see how the #16 makes the roster (except by beating out the #8).

Last edited by Richyyy on 03/08/21 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sparksfan

PostPosted: 03/08/21 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
This is going to be an 11-player roster, barring a trade that moves someone like Dolson. So it makes sense for one of those picks to be a foreign player who won't show up. With Mavunga gone it's hard to see how the #16 makes the roster (except by beating out the #Cool.

Does Chicago want to even move Dolson plus who's taking on her contract

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/08/21 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so

Sloot/#8
Copper/Quigley
Deshields/Williams
NDour/Stevens/Hebard
Parker/Dolson

and they can afford those 11 players?

I put NDour as the 2nd starter upfront because she played well with Chicago but it could just as easily be Dolson or Stevens depending on where they want to play Parker

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/08/21 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
and they can afford those 11 players?

We don't have numbers on Ndour yet. As long as she signed for no more than $71,117, yes.

PostPosted: 03/08/21 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s weird with Wade’s inside connections with the Russian and French leagues that he hasn’t had a pipeline of European players coming over.

So with the fluid situation of Ndour unexpectedly being available, that second pick may now go towards an international player? Might he favor that French player Rupert? 🤔

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/08/21 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the Sky, it’s as easy as 1-2-3

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2021/3/6/22307938/sky-wnba-candace-parker-azura-stevens-wade-cheyenne-vandersloot-quigley-brittany-boyd

Quote:
It’s unlikely DeShields, who’s on the last year of her rookie deal, would accept an extension because she could possibly earn more money next offseason based on her performance in 2021, a league source said.

PostPosted: 03/08/21 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to believe that Chicago has what it takes to win a championship this season. But free agency, injuries, and retirement has the strong teams not looking so strong anymore. I believe that the 2021 WNBA season will mirror the 2021 women's college basketball season. Anybody can get it! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 03/09/21 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Boyd could be a good backup option for the Sky, although they also might consider using their eighth overall pick to draft a versatile guard, such as Arizona star Aari McDonald.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 03/09/21 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope springs eternal every year for us longsuffering Sky fans. I keep thinking it'll happen, then injury to a key player sucks away the momentum. The defense (what defense? Embarassed) crashes and burns. Boneheaded draft picks (documented earlier in this thread) have largely shown their lack of value and wisdom. Bad coaching on top of all that is the sour icing on the fallen cake.

I'm glad Ndour is back. So now we have her and Stevens, who people felt we should have drafted her rookie year. Still not feeling acquiring Parker and hanging onto Dolson unless the former decides to consistently play ball at both ends every game and the latter adds some speed and a non-fouling spirit to her game.

It will be insufferable watching the two of them complain about every call that doesn't go their way!!! Rolling Eyes

My team, do or die! But dang, can we get a decent logo? Folks are less than thrilled with this year's changes on other teams. Seems to me ours gets more boring each year...

PostPosted: 03/13/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson has lost 22 pounds so far, from the Sky’s IG live last night. Do with the info as you will, specifically Dolson’s favorite Rock Hard. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 03/13/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Dolson has lost 22 pounds so far, from the Sky’s IG live last night. Do with the info as you will, specifically Dolson’s favorite Rock Hard. Twisted Evil

Dolson wants to get a FAT contract for 2022. The only way that will happen is that she will have to produce some good numbers in 2021. If she doesn't produce she will be hanging out with the rest of the UFAs. Unemployed Free Agents. 😃

PostPosted: 03/14/21 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Dolson wants to get a FAT contract for 2022. The only way that will happen is that she will have to produce some good numbers in 2021. If she doesn't produce she will be hanging out with the rest of the UFAs. Unemployed Free Agents. 😃

As a Gm I would always be watchful of players having career seasons during their contract year.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is so great to see so many of the women of the W in media spaces. They represent themselves, the game and women so well. Here's the most recent viral moments by the Sky's new point-forward:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-candace-parker-knocks-down-shots-tnt-studio-shaq-lefkoe-wnba-cynthia-cooper-152750856.html

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/19/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Defense has been the glaring weakness for the Chicago Sky for many years. Is James Wade fully committed on winning a championship this season? If he is then he can't continue to use the same starters that he has used in the past.
The Sky should use the best two way players on the roster as their starters if they are serious about getting that championship. That will mean benching one or two high salary players in favor of the best defensive players getting the most minutes.
Professional sports have traditionally given players with the highest salaries the most minutes or starting jobs. I will be watching Mr. Wade very closely to see if he will break with tradition and start his best players or will the players getting paid the most money get the most playing time.🤔

PostPosted: 03/19/21 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could very easily see Copper start ahead of Quigley and Quigley have the insta offense/shooting off the bench role

The harder questions is who get the majority of minutes upfront with Parker. whether we a re looking at defense, best fit with Parker or size and whether or not you think the team is better off with Parker at the 4 or the 5 I could see arguments being made for Stevens, Ndour or Dolson.

Ndour was a good fit when she was in Chicago and might be the best two way combo with Parker, Stevens has the potential to be the best of the three but hasn't had the opportunity to get there because of injury and Dolson would save Parker banging with the biggest players and while she is the slowest of the three she is probably the best at fitting her game along with the star players, if she has improved her speed and conditioning I could see her in that role.

With that said I would probably start Ndour for now and let the other two win the minutes in camp and practice. As the season progresses I won't be shocked to see Stevens get the lion share of the post minutes outside of Parker. Hebard is a great player to have as a 4th or 5th option and will be able to develop for the future but won't have the pressure to take the role right away.

(Westbrook feels like the best option at 8 for a team the needs a two way PG who can shoot the 3 ball)

Sloot/Pick 8 (Westbrook?)
Copper/Quigley
Deshields/Williams
Ndour/Stevens/Hebard
Parker/Dolson

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/19/21 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they don't go the deferral-pick route, I like either McDonald or Westbrook at #8 for this team, as a complementary defense-oriented PG to Slooty.

But yeah, they're gonna need to mix it up defensively more. Your better defensive players are Parker, DeShields, Williams, and possibly a full-strength Stevens. I hope those players + Slooty are played together quite a bit this season, since they should still be fine offensively no matter who's on the floor.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/20/21 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Astou Ndour: A big return for Sky
https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2021/3/20/22334974/astou-ndour-a-big-return-for-sky-wnba-wade-parker-dolson-azura-hebard

Quote:
”It was a privilege to come back to Chicago,” she said in a phone interview this week. “It’s where I feel comfortable on the court and off the court.”

Quote:
”You have to be deep at the post spot,” coach James Wade said. “Look at how last year where we started off deep and [where] we ended up.”

Wade paranoid about about injuries.

Quote:
Ndour credits Wade as the reason why she made it to the WNBA after he played a major role in getting the San Antonio Stars to draft her 16th overall in the 2014 draft.

I smell collusion here. Wade was responsible for that shiftiness?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/20/21 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
Ndour credits Wade as the reason why she made it to the WNBA after he played a major role in getting the San Antonio Stars to draft her 16th overall in the 2014 draft.

I smell collusion here. Wade was responsible for that shiftiness?

Wade was an assistant coach with San Antonio back in 2013. He probably scouted her while he himself was abroad. How exactly is that collusion if it's not just him doing his job? Laughing

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/20/21 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Wade was an assistant coach with San Antonio back in 2013. He probably scouted her while he himself was abroad. How exactly is that collusion if it's not just him doing his job? Laughing

Not even worth it, Stormeo. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/20/21 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Not even worth it, Stormeo. Laughing

Embarassed Laughing

Sparksfan

PostPosted: 03/22/21 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So clearly Chicago will be a run though Candace Parker offense this year

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/23/21 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people believe the Sky might lose Sloot next year. I would not worry about that. Sloot is the one player Chicago will throw a blank check at her to keep her. If she is set on leaving well that's another story. The other players that don't perform well need to worry.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 10 of 20

Jump to: