RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 03/15/21 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I hope this link will work. Today (Saturday) is the one-year anniversary of the murder of Breonna Taylor. The New York Liberty has posted a one-minute video in which Jocelyn Willoughby and Kiah Stokes discuss that:

https://www.facebook.com/nyliberty/videos/490381028631625

šŸ™šŸ½Say her name, she deserves justice....still, a year later.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/17/21 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After studying the salary sheet

I am going with 3 assumptions

1 and 2 is Johannes and Xu are suspended for the season

3 is we pay Durr and keep her active (technically) whether she is able to play or not

That would put us currently at 11 active roster players

the final spot could then be either

scenario 1 Pay R. Allen the same 150K we are paying Whitcomb, use the #6 pick as a deferral pick (Rupert) and call it a day

Ionescu/Clarendon
Whitcomb/Jones/(Durr)
Laney/Odom
Allen/Willoughby
Howard/Stokes/Shook

in this line up Howard would swap to the 4 when we go two more traditional posts with Stokes or Shook on the floor

or scenario 2 Allen doesn't sign on and the 12th spot becomes a competition between the #6 pick and Holmes, unless management decides still to use #6 as a deferral.

Ionescu/Clarendon
Jones/Whitcomb/(Durr)
Laney/Odom
Howard/Willoughby/(#6 or Holmes)
Stokes/Shook

(I swapped the starting Sg mostly just for fun no deeper reason)

If there is a scenario where both Allen and #6 is on the team one of the under regular contract sophomores has to be cut, same goes for any combination of Allen and Holmes, or Holmes and #6 making the team. The only other way any combination of the two can work out is if Durr is given a medical opt out with pay, or can miss the season and be given an ambassadorship to cover her lost salary.

I am sure this has all been covered before I just wanted to map it out again. My overall feeling at the moment is that one of the two scenarios above will happen.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/17/21 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is a little interesting that Allen hasnā€™t re-signed yet. Just a little, but still.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/17/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
It is a little interesting that Allen hasnā€™t re-signed yet. Just a little, but still.

I think it's probably because they want to give her more than a training camp contract. Right now, that's all she could sign for, because they've only got 46k of cap room. Have to either cut someone or agree a full season suspension with one of the obvious candidates to create enough room to give her more money and/or years.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I think it's probably because they want to give her more than a training camp contract. Right now, that's all she could sign for, because they've only got 46k of cap room. Have to either cut someone or agree a full season suspension with one of the obvious candidates to create enough room to give her more money and/or years.

You mean, she probably wants more than a tcc. Wink Itā€™d probably be a done deal by now if she were willing to accept that.

While Iā€™ve got you: per the Libertyā€™s cap picture on HHS, how are they able to have more than 12 players signed to non-tccā€™s as things stand now? I see it totals 13. Apologies if youā€™ve already answered this question before.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/17/21 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

You mean, she probably wants more than a tcc. Wink Itā€™d probably be a done deal by now if she were willing to accept that.

While Iā€™ve got you: per the Libertyā€™s cap picture on HHS, how are they able to have more than 12 players signed to non-tccā€™s as things stand now? I see it totals 13. Apologies if youā€™ve already answered this question before.

One of the questions I answer in the article currently scheduled to come out Friday, funnily enough Wink. The answer's pretty simple - there's no roster limit in the offseason. The cap applies all year round, but as long as all the contracts that count still fit under the cap, you can have as many of them as you like until opening day.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oof, I feel like I should've known that. šŸ™ˆ Thank you! That makes sense. Should the League allow it, the team likely will be able to ā€˜carryā€™ 13 in a sense, with Durrā€™s terribly unique situation (& the cheapness of her contract) in mind.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/17/21 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Oof, I feel like I should've known that. šŸ™ˆ Thank you! That makes sense. Should the League allow it, the team likely will be able to ā€˜carryā€™ 13 in a sense, with Durrā€™s terribly unique situation (& the cheapness of her contract) in mind.

Yeah, 'keeping' 13 is certainly a possibility. Also become viable in Seattle, funnily enough, with Tuck gone (if Magbegor wanted to skip the first half, or something like that).

PostPosted: 03/17/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten any calls about season tickets? I got a voicemail today. I'm curious what they're saying the plans are. I don't live close enough for a season ticket but I'm interested to see if there are plans for any fans in attendance.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/17/21 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Has anyone gotten any calls about season tickets? I got a voicemail today. I'm curious what they're saying the plans are. I don't live close enough for a season ticket but I'm interested to see if there are plans for any fans in attendance.

I've gotten periodic calls for months. I'm only interested at most in a partial plan and won't consider anything until (a) it's clear that there WILL be games played in Brooklyn with fans; and (b) I have the 2021 schedule in front of me.

Perhaps others can confirm the following or correct me. My impression is that they are selling season ticket plans based on deposits. So if there aren't games AND fans at Brooklyn everyone gets their money back. Also, I don't believe they are definitively proclaiming that fans will be allowed to see games in Brooklyn. Again, anyone with more information should correct me if I'm wrong. And if I've got this wrong, I'm sorry.

PostPosted: 03/18/21 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe there are already small amounts of fans for Nets games at Barclays -- like 100-150 people. Anyway, I posted the link below last month.

Quote:
Barclays Center is committed to hosting world-class sports and entertainment with the primary goal of keeping all fans, guests, employees, players, and performers safe. Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been working diligently with the NBA, New York State, New York City, and our own medical experts, as informed by the CDC, to establish and implement health and safety protocols for anyone who enters the arena.

https://www.barclayscenter.com/center-info/health-safety

STHs were offered a chance to rollover their tickets from last season with a small bonus amount added to use on merch or additional tickets. I took the offer, and I know someone else who did too. I'm guessing these STHs will make up the initial pool from which they'll draw fans for socially distanced attendence.

Regarding Allen, all I know is that management keeps making unsolicited comments about her. They keep mentioning her in the same breath with Howard, Laney, Whitcomb, and Sabrina. It sure sounds like she'll be the 4 in a small line-up or one of the first off the bench in a conventional lineup.

PostPosted: 03/18/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty just sent out a survey at 11:15 this morning. They want to know how likely we are to attend games and what constitutes our major concerns. Maybe management is reading this board. Smile

PostPosted: 03/18/21 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The Liberty just sent out a survey at 11:15 this morning. They want to know how likely we are to attend games and what constitutes our major concerns. Maybe management is reading this board. Smile

Perhaps the former LFO (now LVFO) advised them that reading this board is essential. Smile

PostPosted: 03/24/21 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

I would love to, sadly Iā€™m in California.
Iā€™m hoping things clear up this fall and I can travel there and be allowed to catch a Liberty game and some US Open tennis!

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 03/24/21 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nba.com/kings/news/sacramento-kings-and-nbc-sports-california-partner-present-exclusively-women-and-non-binary

Quote:
NBC Sports Californiaā€™s coverage of the Sacramento Kings versus the Cleveland Cavaliers on March 27 will feature its first-ever exclusively women and non-binary announcing and coverage team across the live-game telecast, pregame and postgame shows, and social content.

Get it Layshia!
And sad as it can be to be a Kings fan for basketball purposes, they do us well in the social justice department ā¤ļø

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/24/21 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any updates on SAB and her rehab? Will she be 100% opening day?

PostPosted: 03/24/21 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/sabrina-ionescu-is-the-future-of-new-york-basketball/

She's on the cover of SLAM. Not sure the status of her rehab as I admittedly haven't read the article yet.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/25/21 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I hear, she's 100%.

PostPosted: 03/25/21 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was waiting for someone else to post it, but I guess nobody cares. Laughing The Liberty also have a 25th Anniversary logo.

https://liberty.wnba.com/news/liberty-reveal-anniversary-logo-in-celebration-of-franchises-25th-year/

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That logo is so much better than the league-wide one.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/28/21 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every current mock draft Iā€™m seeing has Mack falling below 6. If the Liberty have a chance at Mack and pass her up Iā€™m not going to be happy.

PostPosted: 03/28/21 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Every current mock draft Iā€™m seeing has Mack falling below 6. If the Liberty have a chance at Mack and pass her up Iā€™m not going to be happy.

They already have one player that doesnā€™t fit the 5-out system in Stokes. Why would they add another one?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/28/21 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

They already have one player that doesnā€™t fit the 5-out system in Stokes. Why would they add another one?

Management has spent the offseason talking about defense, so another rim protector makes sense. Kolb made a point of saying 5-out is important but it's not everything. The offense is built around Ionescu. At Oregon, Sabrina interacted the most with Ruthie Hebard, who was primarily a low post scorer. Pick 'n rolls were their specialty. Mack can learn to do that. She also has a serviceable midrange game that Stokes doesn't. Natasha H. should be a good mentor for Natasha M. since they are physically similar. Last but not least, NY simply needs a post much more than a perimeter player, which is what we're seing in the mocks.

PostPosted: 03/28/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Three reasons.

1) Off the ball movement is a staple of this offense as well. Players need to be able to move and cut with fluidity. Stokes was signed to an extension by this organization last year. Iā€™m pretty sure that was the reason. Mack moves really, really well also.

2) Kolb has repeatedly touted this organizationā€™s ability to develop players. Youā€™re not drafting a player for what they can be next month. Youā€™re drafting them for what they can develop into. Mack is pretty similar to Natasha Howard and Crystal Langhorne when they were drafted in terms of being a non-shooter. But, sheā€™s got more size and power than either player at the same developmental stage. Mackā€™s shooting form also isnā€™t terrible. Sheā€™s fluid and coordinated. If the two aforementioned players could develop into face-up players, IMO Mack can too.

3) In the meantime she can be a spark and defensive presence off the bench. With Jones, Laney, Howard and Stokes the team is going to have a defensive identity anyway. With little post depth, Mack would add to that identity.

Drafting a player of lesser ability because of ā€œfitā€ would upset me because it would be counter to what this regime has advertised themselves to be. That is, one of premier developmental ability.

PostPosted: 03/28/21 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Management has spent the offseason talking about defense, so another rim protector makes sense. Kolb made a point of saying 5-out is important but it's not everything. The offense is built around Ionescu. At Oregon, Sabrina interacted the most with Ruthie Hebard, who was primarily a low post scorer. Pick 'n rolls were their specialty. Mack can learn to do that. She also has a serviceable midrange game that Stokes doesn't. Natasha H. should be a good mentor for Natasha M. since they are physically similar. Last but not least, NY simply needs a post much more than a perimeter player, which is what we're seing in the mocks.

Exactly. That part about the mid-range game is of vital importance. Stokes is totally uncomfortable putting the ball on the floor and shooting it from any kind of distance. Mack on the other hand can pull up off the dribble and shoot with some degree of coordination. That speaks to an area of potential improvement for her. Stokes is too stiff in her movements to improve in that area. Mack has a much looser frame. Itā€™s a significant difference between the two players.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 20 of 69

Jump to: