RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

VACCINATION NATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will You Be Getting the Coronavirus Vaccine?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Hell to the Yeah
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Throw a dart and aim for my ass, yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Use a blowgun and hit me in the neck as I drive by the ER
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, personal health reasons
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, I don't trust/believe in it.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

Howee

PostPosted: 03/07/21 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
....but how many of you, looking at the list of qualifying illnesses/severities here in California versus what those lists look like in your own states, would still be waiting for their first shot. I guess that’s a question.

I could have qualified in CA by 2 metrics, and by 4 in NY. I honestly don't know how my invitation (and yes, I was invited) to get vaccinated was determined, other than I volunteer at my local hospital. I am 65, and do have co-morbidities, but those things were never mentioned at my vaccine intake.

PostPosted: 03/07/21 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
....but how many of you, looking at the list of qualifying illnesses/severities here in California versus what those lists look like in your own states, would still be waiting for their first shot. I guess that’s a question.

I could have qualified in CA by 2 metrics, and by 4 in NY. I honestly don't know how my invitation (and yes, I was invited) to get vaccinated was determined, other than I volunteer at my local hospital. I am 65, and do have co-morbidities, but those things were never mentioned at my vaccine intake.

In at least some states, the people with qualifying comorbidities are identified by pre-emptive review of patients' medical records, i.e. computerized record review to pick up the relevant ICD-9 codes, and the qualifying patients' names are sent to the state or other entity who runs the vax program. The state can then issue "invitations." The actual diagnoses aren't transmitted because that's a HIPAA violation, so the workers at the vax intake aren't going to know anything about vacinees' (is that a word?) comorbidities, just their screening questions about allergies.

Additionally, a patient can request that their co-morbidities be reviewed, usually by the state office responsible for this function.

I received an Email from the state that I qualified to get the vaccine in Group 1C with instructions to register online, which I did, and a few hours later I got an Email through the health care facility saying they were notifying the state that I qualified.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/07/21 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
So I’m wondering, and you all know I’m incredibly happy that so many here have gotten a jab, but how many of you, looking at the list of qualifying illnesses/severities here in California versus what those lists look like in your own states, would still be waiting for their first shot. I guess that’s a question. Cool

I'm assuming that I would qualify under CA guidelines since I work in healthcare. I didn't see it on the list, but I'm thinking that's because that group was opened first and the list only includes the newest openings? Right?

Yes you would have deservedly been in the first group to be vaccinated in Cali. I do think that anyone who works in any capacity in healthcare down to cafeteria workers and parking lot attendants at hospitals or clinics were rightly in that first group.

Isn't there some way that the number if co-morbidities could be taken into account? I realize that some are more serious than others, but the number of the lesser ones should also matter.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/07/21 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
So I’m wondering, and you all know I’m incredibly happy that so many here have gotten a jab, but how many of you, looking at the list of qualifying illnesses/severities here in California versus what those lists look like in your own states, would still be waiting for their first shot. I guess that’s a question. Cool

I'm assuming that I would qualify under CA guidelines since I work in healthcare. I didn't see it on the list, but I'm thinking that's because that group was opened first and the list only includes the newest openings? Right?

Yes you would have deservedly been in the first group to be vaccinated in Cali. I do think that anyone who works in any capacity in healthcare down to cafeteria workers and parking lot attendants at hospitals or clinics were rightly in that first group.

Isn't there some way that the number if co-morbidities could be taken into account? I realize that some are more serious than others, but the number of the lesser ones should also matter.

The CDC issued a list of co-morbidities with the recommendation that a patient with 2 or more of them should qualify for the vaccine. Of course, the states amended the list, and dragged in other considerations like prisoners, and their ultimate plan often didn't resemble the CDC's. The CDC just revised their list yesterday. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/07/21 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Howee wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

In at least some states, the people with qualifying comorbidities are identified by pre-emptive review of patients' medical records, i.e. computerized record review to pick up the relevant ICD-9 codes, and the qualifying patients' names are sent to the state or other entity who runs the vax program. The state can then issue "invitations." The actual diagnoses aren't transmitted because that's a HIPAA violation, so the workers at the vax intake aren't going to know anything about vacinees' (is that a word?) comorbidities, just their screening questions about allergies.

Additionally, a patient can request that their co-morbidities be reviewed, usually by the state office responsible for this function.

I received an Email from the state that I qualified to get the vaccine in Group 1C with instructions to register online, which I did, and a few hours later I got an Email through the health care facility saying they were notifying the state that I qualified.

That cannot be what's happening in California. There's been no mention of it. The state is so big. And as I said, a doctor who has some role in LA County's COVID efforts was on KNX (this is LA's 24-hour AM news radio station. Non-political, super straight laced CBS radio network affiliate) was expressing his concerns that when the state opens up to the 16-64 w/qualifying health issues that it would be difficult to confirm any of the eligibility. And I just heard on KNX that they're opening up about 7000 vaccines in Long Beach to those with physical handicaps or infirmities. NO APPOINTMENT. And just bring some paper evidence of your handicap or infirmities. I mean, lol, God I'm all for that, but shit has hit the fan out here.

Anyway. Yeah, I really don't believe there's some software at work here in California that has been doing this. Now maybe when BlueShield takes over that's the plan.

PostPosted: 03/07/21 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I would hope so because as you say, the cumulative effects are just as problematic. But, I mean, we KNOW that high blood pressure is I believe the second most common comorbidity. lol. So COVID on top of high blood pressure is a killer that has killed hundreds of thousands already. But in California it is excluded?

I think this should be in the hands of doctors. I'm going to leave it at that. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 03/07/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

The CDC issued a list of co-morbidities with the recommendation that a patient with 2 or more of them should qualify for the vaccine. Of course, the states amended the list, and dragged in other considerations like prisoners, and their ultimate plan often didn't resemble the CDC's. The CDC just revised their list yesterday. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

Thanks for this.

PostPosted: 03/07/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I would hope so because as you say, the cumulative effects are just as problematic. But, I mean, we KNOW that high blood pressure is I believe the second most common comorbidity. lol. So COVID on top of high blood pressure is a killer that has killed hundreds of thousands already. But in California it is excluded?

I think this should be in the hands of doctors. I'm going to leave it at that. Twisted Evil

If you had doctors making these determinations, there would be a lot more inequities and patient care would grind to a halt. The CDC's list of qualifying conditions is based on research, and every patient has had their medical problems coded into a system that's searchable by their health care facility or ins. co.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/07/21 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

If you had doctors making these determinations, there would be a lot more inequities and patient care would grind to a halt. The CDC's list of qualifying conditions is based on research, and every patient has had their medical problems coded into a system that's searchable by their health care facility or ins. co.

Well then how and why does the state of California have this on their website?

Beginning March 15, healthcare providers may use their clinical judgement to vaccinate individuals age 16-64 who are deemed to be at the very highest risk for morbidity and mortality from COVID-19 as a direct result of one or more of the following severe health conditions.

And why would they be vaccinating people without appointments in Long Beach tomorrow who are only required for show some documentation that they are disabled or infirm.

So the CDC has a list of qualifying conditions and they release this to the states. Why then is New York’s list of qualifying illness and severities different from California’s?

I’m not saying there hasn’t been some plans made and guidelines suggested and data collected. But what then? In actual practice we have incredible variances in how the vaccine is distributed and to whom. You say providers can search for a patient’s medical conditions? Mine already have access to that. Are you saying there’s like a score given after some software calculates each patient’s risk of dying from COVID.

I’m kind of not getting this.

PostPosted: 03/08/21 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

So I just realized something myself over night and I'm glad I did because I was ready to fire off an email to my doc this morning. You say you could have qualified in CA etc. Well, yes, Howee, duh, your extremely advanced age would have surely put you in there long before now, it's true. Razz

But it's important to remember (especially for me as I was about to potentially embarrass myself with my own situation) that someone who is right now between the ages of 16-64 who DOES fit California's much more arduous qualifying illness severities as listed STILL ARE NOT AS YET BEING VACCINATED in this state.

Shocked

So those of you who got the vaccine because of your state's more relaxed interpretations of these illnesses and their necessary levels of severity BECAUSE the CDC guidance opened up vaccinations to the 16-64 w/qualifying illness cohort uh... how long ago was it? Well, anyway, you would NOT be getting vaccinated at this time in California EVEN if you had pulmonary disease to the point of being on oxygen.

But, under the agricultural worker category, if you were a worker in the RECREATIONAL marijuana field (is that a pun?) you would have been getting vaccinated NOW already for the last week here in California. And medicinal marijuana workers were in Tier 1A so they were getting vaccinated along with COVID ward nurses. Rolling Eyes

Can we agree that this is some amazingly fucked up shit? Mad

PostPosted: 03/08/21 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The answer to most of your questions is that the CDC's researchers evaluate the problem and it then makes recommendations to the states. The states then decide to follow the vaccine recommendations (NH) or not (CA), just like they decide whether to follow the CDC's mask recommendations (VT) or not (TX).

How's that working out for the states that decided to go off the rail?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/08/21 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The answer to most of your questions is that the CDC's researchers evaluate the problem and it then makes recommendations to the states. The states then decide to follow the vaccine recommendations (NH) or not (CA), just like they decide whether to follow the CDC's mask recommendations (VT) or not (TX).

How's that working out for the states that decided to go off the rail?

Well, I'm afraid we're going to find out. As I said many times over the last year, the virus doesn't care what we're up to either emotionally, politically, or economically. We either provide a method for the coronavirus to jump from one human being to another or we don't. The scientists right now are warning that this respite from infections and death may only be the "eye of the hurricane." They are uniformly dour. The politicians, however, in contrast, have never EVER looked more moronic.

PostPosted: 03/09/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This vaccine rollout highlights exactly why many people oppose government run healthcare. Politicians making political decisions about vital medical practices while people's lives hang in the balance. The public will never get behind it unless there are sufficient safeguards to keep the politicians out of the decision making process so it won't all be like this.

PostPosted: 03/09/21 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The CA thing gets worse. More reporting today that the whole SF Bay Area, home to 20% of the state's population, got only I think it was 2% of the zip codes chosen for the increased vaccines. There are plenty of poorer zip codes in the Bay Area. Local pols are trying to get the new rollout "fixed." It also seems the state selected zip codes in many rural counties, which are poorer but that's mostly because few people live there and no larger cities, no "rich" zip codes.

On another note, I just got an email from Kaiser, my HMO, that I am eligible to get vaccinated, and I get my first shot Monday. I am thrilled but confused. I am NOT eligible per the state right now. I signed up for all kinds of notifications from the state that were to tell me when I became eligible. I got no notification that I am now eligible. So I have no clue what Kaiser is doing. Everything I see is 65+ or categories that do not include me. I did not contact my doctor or anyone else ever to ask for an appointment. Just got an email with a link to get an appointment. So very odd, but I am certainly not going to ask any questions.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/10/21 3:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
The CA thing gets worse. More reporting today that the whole SF Bay Area, home to 20% of the state's population, got only I think it was 2% of the zip codes chosen for the increased vaccines. There are plenty of poorer zip codes in the Bay Area. Local pols are trying to get the new rollout "fixed." It also seems the state selected zip codes in many rural counties, which are poorer but that's mostly because few people live there and no larger cities, no "rich" zip codes.

On another note, I just got an email from Kaiser, my HMO, that I am eligible to get vaccinated, and I get my first shot Monday. I am thrilled but confused. I am NOT eligible per the state right now. I signed up for all kinds of notifications from the state that were to tell me when I became eligible. I got no notification that I am now eligible. So I have no clue what Kaiser is doing. Everything I see is 65+ or categories that do not include me. I did not contact my doctor or anyone else ever to ask for an appointment. Just got an email with a link to get an appointment. So very odd, but I am certainly not going to ask any questions.

So I was talking over the weekend here about how we’re suddenly not hearing anything about Blue Shield. And mrs jammer says she doesn’t think the contract has been signed. I’m like what?

Turns out she was right as I heard on the radio yesterday that MANY counties have not signed on and now have no plans on contracting with Blue Shield to take over the process of vaccinating the public. They’ve kind of got it figured out at this point and don’t want this corporation taking over.

Okay that’s one thing.

Oh. And the MyTurn website is now viewed BY officials in charge of vaccinations, either state or local, I don’t remember which, as being too unreliable and glitchy etc. and so they’re circumnavigating the site and are now advising at least some part of the public to go another route.

I’ve decided to keep my powder dry for the moment in terms of pressuring my doctor for a shot as hey... I’m not even eligible yet. So I’m waiting for that go signal on the 16-64 crowd and then I will point out exactly where in the guidelines I am actually qualified to get a shot.

PostPosted: 03/10/21 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you volunteer to help with vaccinations for 4 hours you can get a shot. I signed up and I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

PostPosted: 03/10/21 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
If you volunteer to help with vaccinations for 4 hours you can get a shot. I signed up and I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

Good news!

You might also try this website for leftover vaccines.
https://www.wane.com/community/health/coronavirus/new-website-alerts-you-when-spare-vaccines-are-available-nearby/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/21 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If all else fails, you can move to Alaska

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/alaska-1st-state-open-vaccinations-16/story?id=76355027

Quote:
"Effective immediately, Alaska will become the 1st state in the nation to allow anyone over the age of 16 to get the COVID-19 vaccine," Gov. Mike Dunleavy said in a post on Twitter Tuesday evening. "This marks a significant step forward in our efforts to put the virus behind us."

PostPosted: 03/10/21 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh me. Oh my.

LA Times:

Flooded with Hollywood and media workers, Pasadena cancels COVID-19 vaccine clinic

By LAURA J. NELSONSTAFF WRITER

MARCH 9, 2021 UPDATED 7:03 PM PT

Pasadena officials on Tuesday canceled a COVID-19 vaccination clinic for senior citizens, grocery store employees and other essential workers after hundreds of people who were not eligible for the shots signed up for appointments.

People who did not yet qualify for the vaccine under state guidelines claimed about 900 of the 1,500 slots at a clinic that was designed for people older than 65 and essential workers who live or work in Pasadena, city spokeswoman Lisa Derderian said.

Many of the appointments were booked by people who worked in the media and in Hollywood, Derderian said, including at production companies, streaming TV services and news outlets and on the sets of soap operas.

“Hundreds signed up within the first hour,” Derderian said. “It was like rapid fire.”

The Pasadena Public Health Department last week sent an email to healthcare workers, senior citizens, child-care workers, teachers and food workers who had expressed interest in getting the vaccine, telling them they could book appointments at a clinic at Pasadena City College.

The email told workers they would be required to present proof that they worked in an eligible industry and lived or worked in Pasadena. The email also included a registration link to California’s vaccination appointment system, CalVax, and provided slots for five days, including Thursday.

On Monday, a Los Angeles Times reporter who had received a link to sign up for an appointment called the city, Derderian said. Officials opened the registration system and saw that hundreds of people with jobs in Hollywood and the media had claimed available slots, she said.

The registration link for Thursday’s vaccination clinic had spread quickly. A warning in red letters, telling users not to forward the links, had failed to keep the links private.

The CalVax website does not allow health departments or vaccine clinics to limit registrations to people who live or work in certain ZIP Codes. That means people who are not eligible for vaccines, or not eligible at a particular site, can still fill out the registration forms and secure an appointment.

Some patients said they thought they were eligible because the page included a drop-down menu that asked users to select their industry, including “Service — entertainment, performance.” A warning message in dark red letters, directly above the form, read: “Vaccine supply is limited. Before registering, please check to see if you are eligible to sign up.”

California has limited vaccine access to people 65 and older, as well as essential workers in food and agriculture, education and child care, healthcare and emergency services. No other essential workers are currently eligible.

The Pasadena health department tries to improve its screening process by calling every person who lists an address outside the city on the registration form, Derderian said. Many are restaurant workers and grocery store employees who are eligible for shots and commute to the city for work, she said. Officials remind them to bring a pay stub, a letter from their employer or another form of documentation that shows they work within the city boundaries.

Calling 900 people within a few days to verify their eligibility or ask them not to come was just too much, Derderian said. The city decided to reschedule the clinic. No new date has been confirmed.

“We would have hundreds of people showing up who would not have qualified, and they would have been turned away,” Derderian said. “I’m sure the situation would have escalated in many cases.”

She added: “We do check for ID. We will turn you away if you don’t meet the current tier, if you don’t live in town or work in town. Our health officer will not risk her credentials or the health department’s licensing or the city’s reputation. We are very strict in adhering to the guidelines.”

Canceling the clinic was particularly difficult news for senior citizens who had struggled to get appointments, and who have been largely shut off from the world for a year, Derderian said. Some cried when they learned their appointments had been moved, she said.

Local officials have complained that the state’s technology for making and managing vaccine appointments is flawed, and does not allow them to easily reserve vaccine appointments for people in communities where infection rates are high and vaccination rates are low.

The problems in Pasadena mirrored a situation in Los Angeles County in which registration codes meant to reserve vaccination appointments for residents of communities hit hard by COVID-19 wound up in the hands of more privileged Angelenos, including private-school teachers and Hollywood workers, as The Times previously reported.

Health departments have traditionally used CalVax to schedule flu vaccine clinics, and some — including Pasadena and Long Beach — are using the software to schedule COVID-19 vaccinations too.

Other agencies, including Los Angeles County, have transitioned to a new state-run website called My Turn, which is specifically designed for the pandemic. The software has its own limitations and has been hammered by complaints of glitches and compatibility problems.

Times staff writer Melody Gutierrez contributed to this report.

PostPosted: 03/13/21 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

100 MILLION!

Quote:
About 1 in 4 U.S. adults have received at least one shot, and about 1 in 10 is fully vaccinated, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. An average of 2.2 million doses are being administered per day, up from about 1 million doses a day in mid-January.

With 2.2 million/day those numbers are really going to go up. With J&J, that fully vaccinated # is going to go up crazy fast.

Which leads me to wonder: Will J&J eventually become the default vaccine since it's only one shot and no storage issues, or will there still be a place for Pfizer and Moderna? Will people like the idea of the mRNA technology even though it currently requires two shots? Will the storage issues of Pfizer be worked out or will that be an ongoing problem with their vaccine that can't be fixed? Is it even possible to make enough of the J&J to keep up with demand if there is a yearly (hopefully only yearly at most) booster required? Oh, so many questions!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/03/13/covid-vaccine-update-us-surpasses-100-m-pfizer-appears-slow-spread/4672579001/

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/13/21 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
100 MILLION!

Quote:
About 1 in 4 U.S. adults have received at least one shot, and about 1 in 10 is fully vaccinated, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. An average of 2.2 million doses are being administered per day, up from about 1 million doses a day in mid-January.

With 2.2 million/day those numbers are really going to go up. With J&J, that fully vaccinated # is going to go up crazy fast.

Which leads me to wonder: Will J&J eventually become the default vaccine since it's only one shot and no storage issues, or will there still be a place for Pfizer and Moderna? Will people like the idea of the mRNA technology even though it currently requires two shots? Will the storage issues of Pfizer be worked out or will that be an ongoing problem with their vaccine that can't be fixed? Is it even possible to make enough of the J&J to keep up with demand if there is a yearly (hopefully only yearly at most) booster required? Oh, so many questions!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/03/13/covid-vaccine-update-us-surpasses-100-m-pfizer-appears-slow-spread/4672579001/

J&J (or any one-dose vaccine) will be the default vaccine for the third world where the cold storage and two-shot administration logistics are unworkable. However, mRNA vaccines are here to stay. It should be easier to manipulate them to fight new strains of the coronavirus, and they're going to be our biggest weapon the next time a novel virus attacks.

It's concerning that we've vaccinated that many people and the numbers of new cases has not fallen. It's plateaued at ~60K new cases/day for the last month, probably related to the surge in cases due to virus variants, which are now estimated to be responsible for 50% of new cases.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/13/21 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read that the reason the Pfizer vaccine has to be stored at such a cold temperature is that they didn't have enough time to get the fatty substance (what the mRNA gets put into) stable at higher temperatures. Moderna has been working on that issue longer and have figured out how to make it stable at higher temperatures. So Pfizer may be able to move away from the special super cold refrigeration requirements before it is all over.

Since the J&J vaccine is not as effective I am surprised that it is getting pushed now by the White House and a special Rose Garden event with the J&J and Merck CEOs. Merck is helping J&J produce more. Would rather see Merck get involved in producing more of the other two. But it could be that making 100 million J&J is a lot easier than 200 million if the other two and will take place much sooner, or Merck doesn't have the capability to make the other two.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/13/21 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My understanding is that J&J's efficacy numbers are more heavily based on the variants that are currently running around, and thus are tied to more recent data than Pfizer and Moderna. That, combined with the simplicity of a one-dose model, makes it a quicker fix.

(That being said, I got my first shot of Pfizer today! Less unpleasant than I was expecting, although it helps that it's intramuscular, not into the vein. The NYS-FEMA joint site was well-organized and moved quickly. In three weeks, I get my second, and in six weeks my dad and I will attempt to set a Guinness world record for the longest hug. Assuming he's out of the sling.)

PostPosted: 03/14/21 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s the ultimate you’re not gonna believe this story.

TOMORROW, either California or just Los Angeles County (if you can figure it out, let me know because I’m getting a little bleary on details these days) opens up vaccinations to everyone over the age of 16.

Drops mic.

Not technically, but really. Meaning in reality.

In theory, it’s the 16-64 group with qualifying medical conditions. You remember the much narrower list of more dire health issues the state listed as serious enough for those in this age group to warrant being vaccinated now that recreational cannabis workers have been getting their shots for about three weeks.

Well, as I said a few posts back, deployment of that plan in a population the size of California’s was already being deemed to be a near impossible situation. The doctor Simon was on the radio saying that and suggesting that health care providers should be involved in determining their patients qualifications and administering the vaccine.

Well, I guess even that was determined to be too difficult in actuality.

So here’s how they’re going to do it.

The honor system. Wait. (Ahem.) What I meant to say is, The Honor System.

I’d drop the mic now but I already dropped it.

So, in effect, as it is now being described by the aforementioned Dr Simon, there will be no screening done, no checking of qualifying illnesses through some database, no shown paperwork or medical records or anything at all required now from those in that age group as they go through the process of securing their shots.

Seems like this would have the potential for seeing those who don’t actually have the qualifying illnesses at all to move themselves into the vaccine lines at this time AHEAD of those who actually have the qualifying illness severities.

No? Okay.

What do I know. Let’s see how it works.

PostPosted: 03/14/21 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-03-12/here-is-how-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-beginning-monday-in-california

Who is eligible?

People ages 16 to 64 can be eligible if they are deemed to be at the very highest risk to get very sick from COVID-19. The state is also expanding eligibility to people who live or work in incarceration facilities or homeless shelters, as well as public transit workers, including airport workers for commercial airlines.

How do I get a vaccine?

Officials are urging residents to work with their healthcare providers to seek vaccinations as their first step.

“Check first with your usual healthcare provider to see if they have vaccines and available appointments. Healthcare providers who have vaccines may also begin reaching out to you, as a patient with a significant, high-risk medical condition or disability known to the provider, to schedule your vaccine appointment,” the state said.

Other options include local pharmacies, local health departments, community pop-up clinics or using the My Turn website.

Will I have to prove I qualify?

The state said people will not be required to prove they have disabilities or health conditions when they go in for vaccinations. Instead, those eligible will be expected to sign a self-attestation confirming they meet the criteria.

“To protect confidentiality, verification documentation of the diagnosis or type of disability is not required, but instead, anyone meeting the eligibility requirements will be asked to sign a self-attestation that they meet the criteria for high-risk medical conditions or disabilities,” the state said.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: