RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

"Marketing" money

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 03/10/21 1:07 pm    ::: "Marketing" money Reply Reply with quote

So the salary cap is actually up to $300,000 more per team? Maybe what we're hearing is wrong or misconstrued, but it sounds like teams can give players extra money if they feel the urge.

And as for the player, a dollar is a dollar, and if it comes from my basketball deal or my "marketing" contract, it doesn't matter.

Do teams have to report how that marketing money is spent?

For example, if Candace Parker is getting $75,000 for "marketing" in Chicago, that would be a pretty good incentive to move on from L.A. if the Sparks didn't match that number.

This is a very interesting development, and it's new to me, at least. And it certainly tilts the playing field toward those franchises willing to spend an extra $300,000 each year.

PostPosted: 03/10/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's covered under Article XXXIV Section 2 of the CBA.

PostPosted: 03/10/21 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's 100k max per team, and 4k max per week for any given player. Remember when the new CBA was signed and both sides started claiming that star players could earn over 500k? It's getting the absolute max through stuff like this that made that number theoretically possible.

And again, this is different from the Time-Off Bonus stuff which is directly intended to encourage players not to play overseas. The Time-Off Bonus money, which can go up to 50k per team, counts on the cap; the marketing stuff does not.

PostPosted: 03/10/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks ... but am I correct in thinking that a team can essentially pay a player $100K above the supermax?

And if so, is there any way media could find out who was receiving that money?

PostPosted: 03/10/21 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Thanks ... but am I correct in thinking that a team can essentially pay a player $100K above the supermax?

They weren't lying when they said a star player could theoretically earn over 500k. They were just, y'know, ignoring levels of likelihood. You can read that section of the CBA pilight pointed you to as well as I can - they'd presumably have to do something to 'earn' it, but as far as I see there's nothing to block a team from giving one player the whole 100k (as long as they do something for at least 25 weeks).

ClayK wrote:
And if so, is there any way media could find out who was receiving that money?

Only if you can find a source who's going to tell you (or some other journalist does and publishes it). As mentioned before, the marketing money doesn't even count on the cap, so it's not something that's needed to track cap space or anything like that. They're separate agreements.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: