RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

VACCINATION NATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will You Be Getting the Coronavirus Vaccine?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Hell to the Yeah
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Throw a dart and aim for my ass, yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Use a blowgun and hit me in the neck as I drive by the ER
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, personal health reasons
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, I don't trust/believe in it.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/24/21 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of eyes on Israel atm as they pass 50% of the population being vaccinated

PostPosted: 02/24/21 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I have some mild arm soreness but am otherwise fine.

I had my second Moderna dose on Monday. Tuesday, I felt 3/4 *punky*....little bit achy, little lethargic, but better today. I've had a couple friends report the same thing. Hopefully, you can even skip that much....but it's not horrible.

I found this report yesterday, and am kinda glad I didn't see it prior to the 2nd vax. Shocked
Quote:
The CDC said there were 6,994 reports of so-called adverse events after vaccination, including 6,354 that were classified as “non-serious” and 640 as “serious,” which included 113 deaths. The median age of vaccine recipients was 42, according to the VAERS data, and the majority of adverse events occurred in women.

PostPosted: 02/24/21 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a worse reaction to the cheap store brand adhesive bandage they put on my arm than I did to the vaccine. You can still see the outline where it burned into my skin six days later.

PostPosted: 02/24/21 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Lots of eyes on Israel atm as they pass 50% of the population being vaccinated

Yep, every time I see an article talking about how Israel is making great progress in vaccination I go to Worldometers to check their graph. Seems like everyone is similarly coming down now from end-of-year peaks so too early to judge, but am hoping to see them hit zero.

Saturday Night Live is getting some flak for their fake news show skit having the real part "Israel has just vaccinated 50% of their population" and the comedy addition of "I think I know which 50%".

In looking at world, USA and California graphs I see a nice downtrend. Then look to the left to see how it compares with the past and it is similar - right now we are around where we were right before the big November/December surge. Hopefully with the vaccinations and already infected folks constantly increasing as well, we can continue downward towards zero. The same doctor - Marty Markary - who was saying the FDA had stalled the vaccine approval, wrote an article in the Wall Street Journal predicting herd immunity by April.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/25/21 2:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
I have some mild arm soreness but am otherwise fine.

I had my second Moderna dose on Monday. Tuesday, I felt 3/4 *punky*....little bit achy, little lethargic, but better today. I've had a couple friends report the same thing. Hopefully, you can even skip that much....but it's not horrible.

I found this report yesterday, and am kinda glad I didn't see it prior to the 2nd vax. Shocked
Quote:
The CDC said there were 6,994 reports of so-called adverse events after vaccination, including 6,354 that were classified as “non-serious” and 640 as “serious,” which included 113 deaths. The median age of vaccine recipients was 42, according to the VAERS data, and the majority of adverse events occurred in women.

A) Those adverse events (AE) were mostly self-reported, and >90% of them were minor things like sore arms and low grade fever.
B) The denominator in that report was 13.7M vaccines administered, which means the incidence of a serious AE is 0.005% or 1 in 21,000. Personally, I like those odds a lot better than getting COVID. There was a letter from researchers at UW published in JAMA this week reporting a small study in which 30% of COVID patients (mild cases to hospitalized) had persistent symptoms, i.e. became long haul patients.
C) Two-thirds of the deaths in the CDC report occurred in patients in LTC facilities and at this point, it's unclear if a lot of those deaths were even related to the vax.

tfan wrote:
...In looking at world, USA and California graphs I see a nice downtrend. Then look to the left to see how it compares with the past and it is similar - right now we are around where we were right before the big November/December surge. Hopefully with the vaccinations and already infected folks constantly increasing as well, we can continue downward towards zero. The same doctor - Marty Markary - who was saying the FDA had stalled the vaccine approval, wrote an article in the Wall Street Journal predicting herd immunity by April.

In real life, the FDA approved the emergency use authorizations for the vaccines in record time, and there's no way in hell we'll have herd immunity by April, unless he meant April 2022.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/25/21 4:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

His words were "I expect Covid will be mostly gone by April, allowing Americans to resume normal life." To me that's not quite going as far as claiming herd immunity, but anyway

IF the stated estimate of "250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March" actually holds true (it sounds like a stretch*) then I think a return to normal doesn't sound unreasonable by the end of April.
By that time I guess the size of the anti-vaxxer community is what will determine just how normal things are.
Of course so will the continued availability of the vaccine over the coming months, emergence of more Covid mutant strains, etc.

* Apparently ~ 65 million doses have been administered to date. So that estimate above would require another 185 million doses in the next 38 days, or nearly 5 million per day. Seems pretty optimistic if the current rate is ~ 1.5 million per day.

PostPosted: 02/25/21 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the flu has all but disappeared this year.
Quote:
Experts say that measures put in place to fend off the coronavirus — mask wearing, social distancing and virtual schooling — were a big factor in preventing a “twindemic” of flu and COVID-19. A push to get more people vaccinated against flu probably helped, too, as did fewer people traveling, they say.

This could be interesting. In a not-so-good way.
Quote:
More than 190 million flu vaccine doses were distributed this season, but the number of infections is so low that it’s difficult for CDC to do its annual calculation of how well the vaccine is working, Brammer said. There’s simply not enough data, she said.

That also is challenging the planning of next season’s flu vaccine. Such work usually starts with checking which flu strains are circulating around the world and predicting which of them will likely predominate in the year ahead.

https://www.wane.com/community/health/coronavirus/amid-pandemic-flu-all-but-disappears-in-us/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
tfan

PostPosted: 02/25/21 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With regard to the 5% or 6% outside the 94% 95% effectiveness of the Moderna/Pfizer vaccines, I thought I had read that even though those people got it, they felt the vaccine gave them protection from the most severe symptoms. But I can't find that now. I am hearing that about the Johnson and Johnson 75% effectiveness: 75% won't get it, but the other 25% are protected from the most severe symptoms.

Edit: heard it today said that J&J was 7x% effective in preventing infection, and 85% effective in preventing the most severe symptoms.

Last edited by tfan on 02/27/21 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/27/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Appointments opened up in Queens and I'm getting my first shot on the 13th!

PostPosted: 02/27/21 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m 71, live in WNY & can’t get one due to no vaccine. The website is a joke.

PostPosted: 02/27/21 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both my wife (Moderna) and I (Pfizer) are now fully vaccinated and past the two week window. I had no side effects other than a very slightly sore arm after the second shot. My wife had a fever for one day after the second shot.

Connecticut is doing a reasonable job of distribution. With two political exceptions, they are opening up strictly by age cohorts. They are not using the CDC comorbidity list because (a) it's underinclusive, (b) it's overinclusive, (c) it's almost impossible to administer in terms of proof of comorbidities, and (d) most of the comorbidities skew naturally into the older age cohorts. This makes sense to me.

The two political exceptions are that in addition to the eligible age cohorts, there will be a separate stream of vaccines available for black/brown minority neighborhoods and for school staffs.

Israel's post-vaccination real world data are mirroring the ~95% effectiveness claimed in the Moderna/Pfizer trials.

The flu has effectively disappeared this season not only in America but all over most of the world -- in terms of positive tests, hospital admissions and deaths. No one really knows why. The easy explanation is that masking and social distancing have driven away the flu even though it's hotly debated as what actual quantitative effect those measures have had on Covid.

Another explanation is that flu deaths are being counted as Covid deaths because of the expansive way Covid deaths are reported.

A third explanation is that PCR tests, which have lots of flaws and inaccuracies in any event, are not picking up flu infections because the labs, which are swamped with Covid testing, are not getting around to testing the flu samples until too late in the infection window. In other words, people with flu, which comes and goes much faster than Covid, are testing negative because the labs are waiting too long (three or four days) to process the submitted samples.

A fourth explanation is that, in some sort of evolutionary/microbiological sense, Covid virus is "out competing" flu virus for residence in the human host.

But it's all speculation. As Arthur C. Clarke put it in one of his three laws of science: "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert."
Howee

PostPosted: 02/27/21 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
In other words, people with flu, which comes and goes much faster than Covid, are testing negative because the labs are waiting too long (three or four days) to process the submitted samples.

Not clear on this theory....are flu tests dependent upon a close time frame for testing validity? I'm thinking that once the sample is drawn, its results are 'set', whether its evaluated in 1 day or 20 days.

PostPosted: 02/27/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
In other words, people with flu, which comes and goes much faster than Covid, are testing negative because the labs are waiting too long (three or four days) to process the submitted samples.

Not clear on this theory....are flu tests dependent upon a close time frame for testing validity? I'm thinking that once the sample is drawn, its results are 'set', whether its evaluated in 1 day or 20 days.

It's something I read in a few internet places months ago -- HERE's one. Perhaps I misstated the explanation. It's that Covid patient care and testing is so highly prioritized that by the time people can wangle a flu test order from their doctor and get a lab appointment, the infectivity window of their blood serum is already too far closed to get a positive result.

Of the four explanations for flu disappearance that I was passing alone, I think this one is the least likely, but it may have some role, as they all might.

I've also read strong disagreements among experts as to what this unprecedented ebb tide of flu portends for next winter. Some say it portends nothing; others say it portends a flood tide of flu next season because our immune systems will be that much weaker against flu, not having been exposed to it for so long.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/27/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Another explanation is that flu deaths are being counted as Covid deaths because of the expansive way Covid deaths are reported.

That explanation seems highly unlikely if you look outside the USA.
eg. down here there have been basically no influenza deaths, and also no Covid deaths to attribute influenza deaths to.

I suspect that this is one of those many occasions where the simplest & most obvious-sounding explanation will turn out to be the correct one if proof is possible.

Last edited by Luuuc on 02/27/21 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 02/27/21 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I've also read strong disagreements among experts as to what this unprecedented ebb tide of flu portends for next winter. Some say it portends nothing; others say it portends a flood tide of flu next season because our immune systems will be that much weaker against flu, not having been exposed to it for so long.

The problem with flu seems to be “it” is multiple and always changing. This article says that we have long lasting immunity to flu variants we have seen and any that are similar. And none against those that are not similar to what we have seen.

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1835907,00.html

Last edited by tfan on 02/28/21 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/28/21 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

It's something I read in a few internet places months ago -- HERE's one. Perhaps I misstated the explanation. It's that Covid patient care and testing is so highly prioritized that by the time people can wangle a flu test order from their doctor and get a lab appointment, the infectivity window of their blood serum is already too far closed to get a positive result.

Of the four explanations for flu disappearance that I was passing alone, I think this one is the least likely, but it may have some role, as they all might.

The CDC website has a very good discussion of influenza testing (as they do most other things that get contorted on here).
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/labrolesprocedures.htm

Implications for next season's flu severity aren't related to our immune systems exposure as much as potential inability of the CDC to obtain enough samples of this year's flu to perform the subtyping needed to predict what strains should be included in next fall's vaccine.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/28/21 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MIT Technology Review (Feb. 19):

Quote:
A leaked scientific report jointly prepared by Israel's health ministry and Pfizer claims that the company’s covid-19 vaccine is stopping nine out of 10 infections and the country could approach herd immunity by next month.

Quote:
The findings are important because Israel is leading the world in vaccinating its population, turning the country into real-life laboratory to understand if vaccines can end the pandemic.

Quote:
Because Israel tests people fairly comprehensively, the researchers were also able to estimate that the vaccine was 89.4% effective in preventing any detectable infection at all, including asymptomatic infections.

Translation, IF true, the vaccine is 90% effective in preventing you from getting it and also from spreading it.

HERE is an analysis of why Israel's vaccination strategy has been so successful.

The media should use the following CDC-derived chart (from the preceding link) to cross-examine talking head doctors, government bureaucrat doctors, political animal doctors, college bureaucrats, and selfishly self-interested teachers union officials as to why schools and colleges and their sports should be locked down until all staff, teachers and students are vaccinated (or even if not):

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/01/21 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have my own theory about why flu has almost disappeared. It's a form of the "out competing" idea, which I call the Wolf-Cheetah Theory.

People are deer. They can run pretty fast. But grey wolves can run faster, and have been killing the deer for centuries. The wolves prey on deer by running down the old and sickly deer, who can no longer run fast. The vast majority of deer are young and healthy enough to outrun the wolves.

Suddenly, the yellow cheetah appears on the scene. The cheetah can reproduce much faster than the wolves can, so pretty soon there are a lot more cheetahs in the world than wolves. In addition, the cheetahs can run a lot faster than wolves.

The wolves and cheetahs run after the same old and sickly deer. But there are so many more cheetahs and they are so much faster than the wolves, that there are hardly any catchable old and sickly deer left by the time the wolf pack arrives. Death counts of deer from cheetahs start to exceed death counts from wolves. This causes wolves to die out from starvation, and as this happens, the death counts from the cheetahs begins to swamp the disappearing death counts from wolves.

To keep thriving the wolves have always had to kill a few young fawns as well as old and sickly deer. But the cheetahs are so much more successful at killing old and sickly deer than the wolves, that they ignore young fawns almost completely.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/02/21 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How come wolves are starving in countries that don't even have the yellow cheetah?

PostPosted: 03/02/21 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because the deer spent the holidays at home as recommended by the cervine CDC instead of out partying with the wolves?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/02/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
How come wolves are starving in countries that don't even have the yellow cheetah?

The Wolf-Cheetah Theory is newly developed and doesn't purport to answer all questions about Cheetahs. No known theory does.

The WC Theory is an attempt to explain why places can have lots of cheetahs and fewer than usual wolves. Your question is interesting, but how many places have no wolves or cheetahs?

If you're referring to Australia, that's a rather one-off place in terms of it's isolated geography, highly restricted immigration policies even in normal times, and intense lockdowns even for a trivial sighting of cheetahs. As to flu, which is seasonal, it's summer now in Australia and I read there was an unprecedented uptake of flu vaccinations last winter.

There is no doubt that deer can temporarily avoid both wolves and cheetahs by locking themselves in barns and forgoing their natural lives and freedom. But the wolves and cheetahs don't all die. They are still out there, somewhere, waiting. Meanwhile, hide long enough and the old and sickly deer will die of something else anyway.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/04/21 4:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

The Wolf-Cheetah Theory is newly developed and doesn't purport to answer all questions about Cheetahs. No known theory does.

The WC Theory is an attempt to explain why places can have lots of cheetahs and fewer than usual wolves. Your question is interesting, but how many places have no wolves or cheetahs?

If you're referring to Australia, that's a rather one-off place in terms of it's isolated geography, highly restricted immigration policies even in normal times, and intense lockdowns even for a trivial sighting of cheetahs. As to flu, which is seasonal, it's summer now in Australia and I read there was an unprecedented uptake of flu vaccinations last winter.

There is no doubt that deer can temporarily avoid both wolves and cheetahs by locking themselves in barns and forgoing their natural lives and freedom. But the wolves and cheetahs don't all die. They are still out there, somewhere, waiting. Meanwhile, hide long enough and the old and sickly deer will die of something else anyway.

LOL
I gotta stop taking the bait.

btw there are plenty of countries that dealt with Covid sensibly. A recent study ranked Australia 8th-best, so no I wasn't referring only to Australia, though that is obviously the country whose situation I am most familiar with.

PostPosted: 03/05/21 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding the vaccination process in California, I can't. Even. I'm done.

When the story is written... wow.

It was announced just three weeks ago that California would move to vaccinating those 16-64 with certain health conditions beginning in the middle of March. I just got a notice from my health care provider of that fact on I believe the 24th of February. By the time I got that notice, that information had already been rendered essentially useless if not totally obsolete.

Because as soon as the state issued those new guidelines the governor was inundated with pressure from parents who were beyond sick of having their children on their hands 24/7 to vaccinate the entire education system and get the schools open. He is now fighting for his political life as the recall effort reached its goal of however many signatures was needed for it to move forward.

The state had previously announced, as I posted here probably six weeks ago, that it was moving away from area of employment as a determining factor for who gets the shot next and was going with using age and likelihood of actually getting seriously ill or dying of COVID. Remember that? Another short-lived finger-in-the-air of the prevailing political winds.

Now they have yet to give vaccines to the majority of those over the age of 65, who are themselves completely baffled and put off by a ridiculously difficult and failing online sign-up process... but have gone back to using employment in determining who is in what tier and so the remaining seniors are now but one third with EVERYONE working in any capacity in any form of education in California getting another third of the available vaccine and food/agriculture workers getting the last third.

AND... the latest (I think. Who knows?) by mid-March the state of California will start reserving 40% of new vaccine supplies for at-risk communities based on race or ethnicity.

Without even criticizing one of those decisions on its own... you can see what the cluster fuck of hellish boils California has made of this vaccination process. Not alone, as reports from other states show. But this what we're dealing with in California.

So... still about a 130 people dying a day in LA County. I would like to know their ages. Average age of the last 1000 people maybe who have died here. I bet they're mostly seniors.

Okay, now I will criticize some of the decisions. I said this in the very first posts I made in this thread. When you start talking about prioritizing all those who work in education in the state of California you are talking about sucking up an incredible amount of vaccine all for people who don't REALLY have to be anywhere but sitting at home like everyone else who is sitting at home. Those kids, and those parents, all under the age of 50, can gut it out for the rest of the school year and take up in person learning in the fall when everyone has been vaccinated.

We should not be sacrificing lives, which we are SURELY doing, the lives of those who are most likely to get seriously ill and die of COVID, so that we can get kids back in school right now. It's just wrong.

If you take just those education people out of the equation there would be plenty of vaccine available for essential workers and communities of color after very quickly finishing off those over the age of 65.

Except for this one nagging remaining problem. That is those mostly likely to die of COVID-19 which MOST ASSUREDLY includes so many in at-risk, under-served, communities of color. Shocked

Those ages 16-64 with significant health problems would also be a huge and potentially massively so grouping to have to prioritize. Maybe that's why they keep pushing them aside for other more politically popular prioritizations.

But this should have always been about vaccinating first those who work in health care along with those most likely to get sick and die of COVID. Everything else should have taken a back seat to those. And some better method of determining who those people exactly are and how we might better determine the very often unique qualifying levels of illness are that recommends them for receiving a jab all should have been determined a long time ago rather than the navel gazing feet shuffling way the state is doing it now.

PostPosted: 03/05/21 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can go to the dashboard and find out some info. https://covid19.ca.gov/state-dashboard/

I found where the total deaths by age are and the total cases. 65+ is at 74% of total deaths, 10.7% of the positive cases and 15.4% of the population.

Compare to 78% of deaths in Indiana are aged 70+ and 11% of positive cases.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
insidewinder

PostPosted: 03/05/21 7:54 pm    ::: I live in CA and agree things are getting screwy Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, CA is getting too complicated and silly. They keep changing the criteria, which frustrates everyone. Individually the new plan sort of makes sense, but for instance, unless there is a concrete plan to get schools going really soon, what's the point of vaccinating all teachers, school staff, etc. ahead of other groups? They aren't all in vulnerable demographics. It takes about two months to get two shots and wait a few weeks for the second shot to fully kick in. The plan is to have teachers, etc. vaccinated by the end of March I believe? So that means those people would not be ready to go back to in person school until near the end of May??? Are they going to start school at the end of May? School over the summer would make sense but is that really the plan? Have the teacher's unions agreed? Is there money to pay them extra or what? If there is a plan and money to fund it, cool, go for it. Somehow I doubt it. And what about the variants that in other countries seems to infect young kids at high rates? Is now the time to think about in person school with those variants coming our way?

Then there is this thing where people who work in any food service can get vaccinated as essential workers. So my niece, who is 20 and works part-time in a chocolate shop where she hardly sees customers, she just packs stuff up and the like, is eligible but her mother, mid-50's with some serious health issues that mean COVID could kill her, is not yet eligible. Well maybe if she kicked up a fuss she could get a shot, but that is not her way.

Giving more doses to underserved communities is good, and I am certainly willing to wait while those folks get some deserved help. I don't know that setting aside 40% of all vaccines in the state for a few zip codes is the way to go. I just don't trust that there is a plan that won't drag everything out. 40% for how long? What percentage of the 40 million people in the state will be served by that 40%? Why not set vaccination sites in those places and make sure they get well supplied without some percentage being held for those places unless that percentage is really getting into arms of the targeted people there?

I would hate to be 64 years old, knowing that people one year older are getting vaccinated now and have been for over a month, yet I will maybe become eligible in April? May? Who knows? And a 64 year old is basically the same as people a few years older in risk. I know there had to be a cutoff, but still, 65 gets vaccinated in Feb but 64 gets vaccinated months later?????

I am not 64, for the record, but I will be 60 shortly, and this kinda bugs me. My risk of serious illness is much higher than many people who are eligible. I am ok waiting my turn. But please, give me some clue and some hope that there is a plan for me. I just feel like things are going off the rails a bit and I will not be eligible for months while everything around me opens up. Family my age in other states are now eligible. I will be the last, by months, to get a vaccine. There is a vaccination site in my neighborhood two blocks down the street from me to serve my neighborhood. I see people getting shots and they are mostly younger than I am by a lot. I worry that they will do all this fancy stuff about who gets vaccinated and then say screw it and open it up to everyone under 65, and I will have to compete for vaccinations with all the 30 year olds in May or something.

I know this is all a bit whiney, but it has been a long year, and I am tired of the constantly shifting criteria for opening things, closing things, who gets vaccinated, etc. Make a solid, simple plan, and stick to it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: