RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Loss-less and the Win-less: whatzit now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 02/19/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not much change in 10 days....

Undefeated:
Cal Baptist
Bucknell*

(*Thank you, pilight!)

Winless:
Cal
Chicago St.
Loyola MD
Northwestern St.
Tennessee St.
Weber St.

Last edited by Howee on 02/19/21 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know Bucknell hasn't played this month, but that also means they're still undefeated

PostPosted: 02/20/21 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

But there was a change. Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne gained their first win of the season today. The Mastodons, clad in pink for Vera Bradley Pink Week, beat Robert Morris 71-67. Both teams are new to the Horizon League, IPFW from the Summit and Robert Morris from the Northeast.

Shayla Sellers, the daughter of former NBA player Brad Sellers, is a sophomore who was averaging only 7 points per game a week ago. In her last two games she has set all time highs with `17 points last Sunday and 21 points today. After a close first quarter Sellers went to work in the second, scoring 13 points including 3 3-pointers. IPFW led the entire 2nd half but RM got within 2 three times in the fourth quarter. Sellers made 4 free throws in the final minute to seal the win.

Of the remaining 6 winless teams Weber St has the best chance of securing a win, hosting Cal St Sacramento for 2 games next week. Loyola (Md) has been competitive, losing their last 5 games by less than 10 points. The Greyhounds have 4 games left against American and Navy and could win any of them. Cal has been playing better of late, but their last realistic shot is Arizona St on Sunday. The Bears lost by only 4 in their first matchup. Chicago St has 2 games left against New Mexico St. Tennessee St's best chance for a win is against Eastern Kentucky who only beat them by 12 in their first meeting. Northwestern St, likely the worst team, has their best chance vs New Orleans.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/21/21 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Howee wrote:

But there was a change. Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne gained their first win of the season today. The Mastodons, clad in pink for Vera Bradley Pink Week, beat Robert Morris 71-67. Both teams are new to the Horizon League, IPFW from the Summit and Robert Morris from the Northeast.

Shayla Sellers, the daughter of former NBA player Brad Sellers, is a sophomore who was averaging only 7 points per game a week ago. In her last two games she has set all time highs with `17 points last Sunday and 21 points today. After a close first quarter Sellers went to work in the second, scoring 13 points including 3 3-pointers. IPFW led the entire 2nd half but RM got within 2 three times in the fourth quarter. Sellers made 4 free throws in the final minute to seal the win.

Of the remaining 6 winless teams Weber St has the best chance of securing a win, hosting Cal St Sacramento for 2 games next week. Loyola (Md) has been competitive, losing their last 5 games by less than 10 points. The Greyhounds have 4 games left against American and Navy and could win any of them. Cal has been playing better of late, but their last realistic shot is Arizona St on Sunday. The Bears lost by only 4 in their first matchup. Chicago St has 2 games left against New Mexico St. Tennessee St's best chance for a win is against Eastern Kentucky who only beat them by 12 in their first meeting. Northwestern St, likely the worst team, has their best chance vs New Orleans.

Just a small point: Purdue Fort Wayne has dropped the Indiana from their name (of the university, not just the sports teams). The two universities still jointly operate the IUPUI campus, but that is the only one at this point.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 02/21/21 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Undefeated:
Cal Baptist
Bucknell*

(*Thank you, pilight!)

Winless:
Cal
Chicago St.
Loyola MD
Northwestern St.
Tennessee St.
Weber St.

Congrats to Cal for getting into the W Column with a win over ASU.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/22/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal has had a very tough season. The team was very young with only one senior, Archer Olson, who had played less than 40 minutes coming into the year. Their top guard, Kianna Smith had transferred to Louisville and Alaysia Styles transferred to Maryland. And then the team was hit by season ending injuries to two of their top guards. Leilani McIntosh also went down with a concussion. Cal had only 3 non-conference games, losing to Cal St Bakersfield, San Jose St and San Francisco by single digits. That left only Pac 12 games so the Golden Bears knew they would struggle to find a win.

It took until Senior Day but it was a sophomore that led the day. Arizona St led 8-5 after the first quarter but the Bears roared back for a 26-22 halftime lead. The game stayed close until 3 minutes left in the 3rd, but then Cal went on a 15-1 run over the next 5 minutes. Leilani McIntosh scored a career high 21 points to lead Cal to a 67-55 victory. She had been a 31% shooter from 3 this season (27% for her career) but she went 4-4 yesterday.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/22/21 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That kind of win is just the kind of boost the Cal kids need and deserve after persevering through all that adversity. NEXT YEAR, baby! Cool

PostPosted: 02/22/21 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:

They were running out of options, with their only other game against Stanford.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/22/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Cal has had a very tough season. The team was very young with only one senior, Archer Olson, who had played less than 40 minutes coming into the year. Their top guard, Kianna Smith had transferred to Louisville and Alaysia Styles transferred to Maryland. And then the team was hit by season ending injuries to two of their top guards. Leilani McIntosh also went down with a concussion. Cal had only 3 non-conference games, losing to Cal St Bakersfield, San Jose St and San Francisco by single digits. That left only Pac 12 games so the Golden Bears knew they would struggle to find a win.

It took until Senior Day but it was a sophomore that led the day. Arizona St led 8-5 after the first quarter but the Bears roared back for a 26-22 halftime lead. The game stayed close until 3 minutes left in the 3rd, but then Cal went on a 15-1 run over the next 5 minutes. Leilani McIntosh scored a career high 21 points to lead Cal to a 67-55 victory. She had been a 31% shooter from 3 this season (27% for her career) but she went 4-4 yesterday.

Let's not forget Mia Mastrov, who should be a senior at Miramonte HS, and played 40 minutes. I was on the staff at Miramonte so know her pretty well, and it's great to see her out there.

PostPosted: 02/22/21 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

Moot now, but they will still have a Pac12 tournament game vs the 9 seed...I think.

Phil

PostPosted: 02/23/21 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking about regular season record only, but point taken.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/23/21 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Phil wrote:
IM in OC wrote:

Moot now, but they will still have a Pac12 tournament game vs the 9 seed...I think.

They will play the 5th seed, most likely Colorado.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/25/21 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WEBER STATE BROKE THROUGH!! They beat Sacramento St, 77-73
Wink Cool

PostPosted: 03/05/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

California Baptist got a scare today as Seattle closed within 1 with 26 seconds to go. The Lancers made 4 FT down the stretch to move to 21-0. The two teams play again tomorrow in the final game of the regular season.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/05/21 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't Chicago State on this list every year? Why are they still in D-I?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/06/21 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And then there were 3

Northwestern St 50 Central Arkansas 45

Only Chicago St, Loyola (Md) and Tennessee St haven't won. Tennessee St has finished their season.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/06/21 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
And then there were 3

Northwestern St 50 Central Arkansas 45

Only Chicago St, Loyola (Md) and Tennessee St haven't won. Tennessee St has finished their season.

Unless a miracle occurs Chicago State, who finishes their season today, will remain winless. They are down by 25 mid 4th qtr..

Note--Update that Chicago State is in the WAC tournament, Only 7 teams in the WAC tournament and Tarleton is not eligible yet for post season play. Thus Chicago State will be #7 seed Utah Valley #2 seed on Wed.
#1 seed Cal Baptist has a bye.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/11/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lehigh 63 Bucknell 54 FINAL

Two teams went undefeated through the regular season. California Baptist is ineligible for the NCAA tournament. Now the other team, Bucknell will need to get an at-large bid (I doubt seriously they will get one). Bucknell beat Lehigh 4 times during this year(including a game where they came back from an 18 point 3rd quarter deficit), but it is hard to beat the same team 5 times in the same season.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/11/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Cal Baptist for being the last undefeated team left in D1 WCBB

Final
Lehigh - 63
Bucknell -54

Bucknell now 9-1 and I guess hopes for a WNIT bid

Lehigh faces Boston Univ in Patriot League Championship game.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/11/21 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
California Baptist is ineligible for the NCAA tournament.

I knew that about Cal Baptist, but....IFFF they win the tourney, then....who goes from that conference? The runner-up?

PostPosted: 03/11/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I knew that about Cal Baptist, but....IFFF they win the tourney, then....who goes from that conference? The runner-up?

I believe I read, somewhere, if Cal Baptist loses in semi final the winner of the final goes. If Cal Baptist wins or loses in final Utah Valley will go.

I am not 100% sure of that. Will see if I can recall where I saw it.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/11/21 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Howee wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I believe I read, somewhere, if Cal Baptist loses in semi final the winner of the final goes. If Cal Baptist wins or loses in final Utah Valley will go.

Not quite right. If California Baptist wins the tournament then Utah Valley gets the NCAA berth. But if California Baptist gets to the finals and loses to Grand Canyon, Grand Canyon would get the bid. Utah Valley plays Grand Canyon after the Cal Baptist - New Mexico St. tomorrow, so if Cal Baptist wins their game Utah Valley will only need a win to get the bid. If Grand Canyon beats Utah Valley, UVU would still go if Grand Canyon wins the final.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/11/21 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
Howee wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Not quite right. If California Baptist wins the tournament then Utah Valley gets the NCAA berth. But if California Baptist gets to the finals and loses to Grand Canyon, Grand Canyon would get the bid. Utah Valley plays Grand Canyon after the Cal Baptist - New Mexico St. tomorrow, so if Cal Baptist wins their game Utah Valley will only need a win to get the bid. If Grand Canyon beats Utah Valley, UVU would still go if Grand Canyon wins the final.

HUH?? Shocked If Grand Canyon is in the final, that means they've beaten Utah Valley, and are playing Cal Baptist in the final. CB cannot go on to the NCAA, so why wouldn't the team that ends in 2nd place (assuming CB beats GC) go to the NCAA tourney? And CERTAINLY, if Grand Canyon WINS the final, why aren't they the ones that go to the national tourney??

PostPosted: 03/12/21 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
Howee wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Thanks

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/12/21 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
Howee wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

HUH?? Shocked If Grand Canyon is in the final, that means they've beaten Utah Valley, and are playing Cal Baptist in the final. CB cannot go on to the NCAA, so why wouldn't the team that ends in 2nd place (assuming CB beats GC) go to the NCAA tourney? And CERTAINLY, if Grand Canyon WINS the final, why aren't they the ones that go to the national tourney??

What makes this particularly unfair for Grand Canyon is that they split with Utah Valley in the regular season and only lost out to them for second place because GCU did not play Chicago St., who didn't win a game all season. Both teams lost one game to New Mexico St and 2 games to Cal Baptist in addition to the split.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: