RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/19/21 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Whitcomb was brought in because the feeling is she is and will be a significantly better player than any of last year's rookies (except Jones), at least for this year and next.

Walker's PER of 4.4 and Willoughby's of 8.2 are pretty scary, and though Odom is at 11.2, Whitcomb had a 17.8 PER last year. Then again, Whitcomb's highest PER prior to last year was 12.9, and her age suggests regression is more likely than improvement.

Certainly an interesting call by the Liberty, and though it looks like Walker and Willoughby are not going to make it in the league, Jones' 2020 PER is not far from Whitcomb's career mark, and a minimal improvement by Odom would put her at Whitcomb's 2019 level.

Of course, different skills and maturity levels are involved, but it will all make for a very interesting training camp.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So basically we just tied up two years of big money because Hopkins looked at the roster and said, "Help, I need an adult!"

Very Happy Very Happy Good one Queenie!

I think Augustus could have filled the role of team grown up just as well for a lot less $ and w/o taking minutes away from developing players. Based on last year's numbers she still looks like she could contribute 10 or minutes a night and certainly the "kids" could probably learn a lot from her. Now, maybe she didn't want to take on that role, I don't know. Or maybe she is holding out hoping for a lot more money - but cap space is getting scarce and she is still unsigned.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/19/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
it looks like Walker and Willoughby are not going to make it in the league

Willoughby and Walker are both 22. They just played in a weird season where people spent most of the summer in lockdown, and then inside the Wubble, there was hardly any practice time. Walker also had Covid. Now, what was Whitcomb's PER at age 22? Or 23? Or 24? Or 25? Or 26? Or 27? Oh yes, it was zero -- she didn't enter the league until age 28 (turned 29 at midseason).

PostPosted: 02/19/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Willoughby and Walker are both 22. They just played in a weird season where people spent most of the summer in lockdown, and then inside the Wubble, there was hardly any practice time. Walker also had Covid. Now, what was Whitcomb's PER at age 22? Or 23? Or 24? Or 25? Or 26? Or 27? Oh yes, it was zero -- she didn't enter the league until age 28 (turned 29 at midseason).

This reference to Willoughby and Walker being 22 brings me back to a question I raised months ago that didn't get much discussion. I'm going to give it another try.

The preamble is: how do Kolb and Hopkins feel about the 2020 non-Sabrina rookies? They shipped out Megan Walker. That leaves Jones, Willoughby, Odom, Shook, and Holmes. Chances are that the two seasons for which Sammi Whitcomb is under contract may be her only seasons for the Liberty. Potentially, Jones, Willoughby, and any of the others could have many more seasons for New York.

It has been rightly said that adding Whitcomb will take playing time for some of those players. Which makes me wonder: how much do Kolb and Hopkins care? Do they believe in Jones, Willoughby, and the others?
Which leads to my bigger question. How safe do Kolb and Hopkins feel? Suppose things go badly for New York this season. Suppose at least two of Howard, Laney, and Whitcomb are disappointing. Suppose none of last year's non-Sabrina rookies look great. Do Kolb and Hopkins feel that they can survive a difficult season? Do they worry that Joe and Clara Tsai could decide to bring in a new leadership team?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions. But if Kolb and Hopkins have any concern that they're not necessarily safe, then that might explain giving minutes to a veteran like Whitcomb rather than sophomores like Jones and Willoughby. I'm not saying this to defend signing Whitcomb, much less signing her to a costly contract. But it could, at least in part, explain the signing. (I continue to feel it's about long-range questions regarding Durr and Johannes.)

I would definitely be curious to hear other views on the following. Do you think Kolb and Hopkins feel safe that they'll be back in 2022 even if the 2021 season proves disappointing.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The vibe I get from Joe and Clara is that they're fairly patient. They've been doing all this politically-correct, do-gooder stuff, and firing your coach after two Covid-marred years doesn't sound consistent with that world view. Unless the Liberty suffer another really ugly season, I think Kolb and Hopkins will be safe. Even if they do have a really bad year, my gut says they'd be given one more season -- but with clear notice they're on the hot seat.

I believe the Liberty signed Whitcomb because management really likes her. Given this team's horrible recent luck with injury, illness, and national team no-shows, they probably figure attrition will take care of any crowding issues. They're being fatalistic. Smile

PostPosted: 02/19/21 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The vibe I get from Joe and Clara is that they're fairly patient. They've been doing all this politically-correct, do-gooder stuff, and firing your coach after two Covid-marred years doesn't sound consistent with that world view. Unless the Liberty suffer another really ugly season, I think Kolb and Hopkins will be safe. Even if they do have a really bad year, my gut says they'd be given one more season -- but with clear notice they're on the hot seat.

I believe the Liberty signed Whitcomb because management really likes her. Given this team's horrible recent luck with injury, illness, and national team no-shows, they probably figure attrition will take care of any crowding issues. They're being fatalistic. Smile

I think you're right about the vibe that Joe and Clara Tsai have given out. But I've seen situations where the vibe given out publicly is far from the reality behind closed doors. I have no inside information. You could be absolutely correct.

Similar question regarding Kolb and Hopkins. All the public vibes have been very positive. But suppose things don't go so well this season. Does Kolb stick with Hopkins for a third season that could be the last for both of them? Or does he think he's on the hot seat and better take his possible last chance with someone new?

On this board there's been an implicit assumption that Kolb and Hopkins are safe through at least the 2022 season. Might be exactly right, but there's no convincing evidence to support that. So I question that implicit assumption. Hopefully the Liberty will have a good season and my concern will be meaningless.

PostPosted: 02/19/21 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not like they totally whiffed on the draft last year. Somehow Lib fans think all their picks should be superstars, but really if one of their three #12-#15 picks turns out as a winner, they've done well. I wouldn't worry about getting all the sophomores minutes. Pick the one they think can help in the long term and give her minutes, and maybe keep one other deep on the bench. I think they've done fabulous in free agent land. Howard, Laney, and Whitcomb are going to be worth at least an additional 10 wins IMO.

- Amanda Gorman
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/19/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It's not like they totally whiffed on the draft last year. Somehow Lib fans think all their picks should be superstars, but really if one of their three #12-#15 picks turns out as a winner, they've done well. I wouldn't worry about getting all the sophomores minutes. Pick the one they think can help in the long term and give her minutes, and maybe keep one other deep on the bench. I think they've done fabulous in free agent land. Howard, Laney, and Whitcomb are going to be worth at least an additional 10 wins IMO.

I agree about last season's rookies. I hoped last year that two of the six non-Sabrina rookies would prove over time to be good players. If that eventually is correct, then they did well. If it's only one of the six, I hope it isn't Megan Walker, though I wish her well. Smile

PostPosted: 02/20/21 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Somehow Lib fans think all their picks should be superstars

Which Lib fans? I haven't seen anyone express high expectations for any players other than Ionescu and Durr, who were taken #1 and #2. Now, that's not the same as seeing potential in some of the lower picks and wanting to give these players a chance. Remember, this was supposed to be a rebuilding team. Kolb has now rechristened it a "hybrid rebuild" where they aim to add high-level talent to the existing young pool. The implication is that they still believe in the sophomores. Now, Laney and Howard meet that high-end talent definition. Both players are in their prime, have put up All-Star numbers, and also play excellent defense. Whitcomb is not in that category. Although coming off her best season, she is still a career backup who turns 33 this year. To me, that's the type of player you add to a serious contender -- someone who can fill a bench need for outside shooting or maybe serve as a placeholder starter if you're really good at the other four positions. Unless Kolb and Hopkins think they are contenders this year, I don't view this as a smart signing. That's not to say Whitcomb can't end up playing well, but I believe it's wiser to use those minutes for developing a young player with more upside. Ultimately, that would make your team stronger. It also fits the timeline of this franchise better in terms of when they'd be ready to contend. Then, throw in the fact that NY would have more cap space flexibility to use either this season or next.

PostPosted: 02/20/21 3:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree, I think that the Tsais are patient and Kolb and Walt are safe through 2022. Did Walt get a 3 year or 4 year contract? All we’ve really heard from Kolb about Walt has been the deep dive into last season to figure out necessary changes.

As for believing in the 2nd year players.....I think it’s possible for Walt and Kolb to believe in them and want other players with more experience. I think they both still believe in all of them to be at least role players in the league. Playing time gives you experience, as does going at it in practice against more proven players/champs in a more typical season. They were thrown into the fire last season, but hopefully this season is different and they can have defined roles, perhaps smaller, and get to practice against more experience
Did we draft them to be our starters?
Ionescu/Jones/Willoughby/Odom/Shook....
The roster is deeper in talent, with those other 4 non Sab sophomores having played 21.4mpg, 17.4mpg, 20.6mpg, and 14.5mpg likely coming off the bench this season.

I think that Ionescu has a solid ‘mentor’ in Clarendon, who has been an all star and played on competitive teams, while having high assist numbers.
Howard is good for Odom, who I hope adds some strength to potentially truly be a 4.
Laney is good for Willoughby, similarly strong players- perhaps Betnijah helps Jocelyn blossom offensively. Whitcomb can be helpful for Jones, both are more shooting guard capable of limited lead guard type players.
Shook gets Stokes again Laughing perhaps she learns to shoot 23% from three.

And that’s what I like about this roster. We have experienced players who can help us win and possibly make the playoffs, while mentoring the sophomores. And the sophomores get to compete for playing time against vets while also learning from them.

I suppose I’m impatient, as a Liberty and a Kings fan I’m tired of losing seasons and no playoffs. The Libs under Bill gave me some postseason action at least. But it’s been a few years now.
So I like that we signed vets, and are deeper and more primed for a postseason run.

willtalk

PostPosted: 02/20/21 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is it always assumed that vets want to, will or even can mentor younger players. Not ever player can be a mentor. Some of the best players make horrible mnetors of coaches.

In respect to Sabrina and Clarendon, it is more likely that Sabrina could act as a mentor to Clarendon than visa versa. Sabrina has gotten where she is now purely on her BBIQ, desire and focus on the game. Players hat need mentors are those that have ridden their atheticism into the league or those that are not focsed on the game.

This is not meant as a slam on Clarendons abilities as either a player or mentor, but an acknowledgement of Sabrinas in the areas in which players usually require mentoring.

PostPosted: 02/20/21 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think Sabrina needs a mentor, nor do I assume that players want to be mentors. Despite only playing 3 games in the W, she is the best player on our team.
However I stand by what I said. Layshia is VP of the player association and has been an All star in this league. No player comes into the league knowing everything there is to know. I think Sabrina wants to soak in as much as possible, yet will still outplay Clarendon. That doesn’t mean Clarendon can’t teach her a vet move or two. Whether skill related or leadership related.

Howard and Stokes have explicitly talked about taking players under their wings. Doesn’t mean they will be great, but I like their defensive abilities which will be helpful.
I can’t recall with Whitcomb and Laney, but a mentor can be someone who gives advice/teaches or gives help to less experienced players. Whether being players who take others under their wing or not, their work ethic alone will help our less experienced players, by building that culture of pushing one another to work hard and be their best.

So perhaps ‘mentor’ is too strong a word for all five players, my main point is that I like having those five in juxtaposition with the five sophomores.
Howard, Stokes and Laney have been all defensive team at the least, while Whitcomb comes from a great defensive system and Clarendon is a pesky aggressive defender as well.
I like that experience alongside our five sophomores (six if Holmes makes it), as they have to compete against some tough defense which should make them better players.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 02/20/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://netsrepublic.com/what-sami-whitcomb-brings-to-the-new-york-liberty/

Quote:
“The part of my game that I hang my hat on is being a hard worker,” she told assembled media on Thursday, in response to a question from Erica Ayala. “I like to get in the gym, I like to work on my game. I like to be the player that comes in and does whatever you need me to do. I’m hoping that style will be something that lends itself to earning the respect of the other players.”

Last year’s efficiency landed Whitcomb in the 90th percentile一or 15th in the entire WNBA一in PPP, according to Synergy Sports. On 171 possessions, she scored 178 points, accounting for a 1.041 PPP. Over the past two seasons, Whitcomb’s assist percentage has skyrocketed; last season, despite putting the ball on the ground more, her turnover rate was at its lowest ever.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/20/21 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A timely article and a good one in terms of providing some specifics. I wish it came out a couple of days earlier. Laughing

This is what caught my attention:

Quote:
She’ll likely spend a lot of time with a young second unit, so having an assertive guard finding buckets (and teammates) with ease will be a huge boon for New York. This off-the-dribble evolution, in which flatfooted defenders were left behind, should continue in New York’s spread offense, with shooters spaced everywhere.

If true, management is investing a lot in their bench. Not saying it can't work -- there are NFL franchises that place a lot of importance on their special teams. But it's more "vision" stuff where Kolb & Hopkins are charting their own path.

Quote:
All offseason, GM Jonathan Kolb has stated that the goal for this offseason was to have a “hybrid rebuild,” and these transactions align with that thinking. “It’s rare that you could mesh that together, in terms of vets and youths at the same time,” Jonathan Kolb told the media last week. “That’s what we’re trying to do, in terms of developing players, but being highly competitive at the same time.”

It kinda sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it too. Interesting to see how the minutes shake out.

Quote:
Last season, New York fielded one of the youngest teams in WNBA history. Seven rookies crowded the Bradenton bench in what turned into, essentially, a redshirt season for Coach Hopkins’ team. A pair of the “baby vets,” Zahui B and Kia Nurse, are now elsewhere, leaving a leadership void. Whitcomb’s experience in high-level competition, both with the Storm and overseas, makes her an immediate asset to New York’s young players.

Again, it seems like the main impetus for signing Whitcomb is to provide leadership or at least a role model. Apparently, management feels that she has changed her game and found a new balance that reflects the way NY wants to play. They hope she can either teach the young players or that her approach can otherwise rub-off on them.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They just said on the Ole Miss broadcast that Austin is not WNBA-draft eligible. I think they said her listed birth date was off by a year and that’s why it was originally thought that she was. But don’t quote me about the last part. LaChina was definitive that Austin isn’t draft eligible though.

On Whitcomb starting. IMO there’s no chance she’s going to start. She’s a solid backup who is insanely streaky. Players like that do better off the bench. Plus Jones is good, man. She also brings big-time intensity and seemed to be rewarded for it with more playing time last year. Willoughby is a possibility too but I prefer Jones’ offensive awareness and perimeter defense to Willoughby. But either way, Whitcomb is a solid role player. Nothing more nothing less. Bookmark this page if you want to. I feel the only way she starts is for injury/illness reasons. Or if Jones/Willoughby are late to camp or something. But once the season gets going with all NYs players, I don’t see a pathway for Whitcomb to start.

PostPosted: 02/21/21 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Solid article. The article expounded on good points. Whitcomb is underrated off the bounce as well as defensively.

PostPosted: 02/22/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kolb and Hopkins were on WFAN with Danielle McCartan recently. They talked about a lot of things. Supposedly, Kolb saw the signings of Howard, Laney, and Whitcomb as an opportunity to improve on the defensive side of the ball. Not that these players don't also help offensively, but management felt the offense was already going to improve with the return of Sabrina.

Direct link:
https://tinyurl.com/wu5bs5ks

Intro page with download:
https://www.radio.com/podcasts/wfanam-on-demand-216/danielle-mccartan-with-jonathan-kolb-walt-hopkins-357539987

PostPosted: 02/23/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barclays Center: Check Out Our New Health & Safety Protocols

https://www.barclayscenter.com/center-info/health-safety

Quote:
All patrons and employees will be subject to rigorous health, safety, and COVID-19 testing protocols, prior to, and during, games at Barclays Center. Completion of a COVID-19 medical questionnaire and submission to a temperature check will also be required as part of the arena health and safety entry procedures.

Quote:
Except for patrons in the same seating “pod”, anyone inside the arena must maintain at least six feet of distance (or greater as may be advised by arena management) from each other.

PostPosted: 02/23/21 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So let's say Barclays only allowed season ticket holders to games. Would they have them re-select their seats? Imagine ending up with worse seats than you originally had. And with their testing protocol, I guess this would eliminate last-minute free ticket giveaways.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/24/21 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Barclays Center: Check Out Our New Health & Safety Protocols

https://www.barclayscenter.com/center-info/health-safety

Quote:
There are designated spaces assigned to each seating pod within Barclays Center for consuming food and beverages, which will provide a safe distance from other guests. All food and beverage items will be delivered to patrons individually packaged (and all food delivery personnel will be wearing PPE, including masks and gloves at all times). Mobile and remote ordering will be implemented to minimize contact.

I can't tell if that is saying people will be able to eat in the stands. Someone with their mask down to eat or drink who then screams at the refs or cheers a good play at the top of their lungs should probably be more than six feet from other folks in front/below them.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/24/21 5:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

On Whitcomb starting. IMO there’s no chance she’s going to start.

Different worlds we live in. Had Whitcomb performed at the same level and efficiency she did with Seattle last season for that New York team that lived and died with the 3 but couldn't hit the broad side of the border wall...she would have been the team's leading scorer. Jones and Willoughby are solid but they can't come close to touching Whitcomb as an outside shooter at this point, and that is why she will be more valuable to their system and get her starter minutes, even if off the bench.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 02/24/21 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/24/21 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The whole NY 'system' discussion is intriguing to me. It reminds me of years past where Tennessee had a lot of good athletes, but most weren't very good at putting the ball in the basket. Ideally you have both but often it's a balance. I think NY's draft last year, other than the obvious Ionescu, was heavy on athletes and relatively light on skill. So adding skill with some athleticism IMO will make a huge difference!

- Amanda Gorman
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/24/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Different worlds we live in. Had Whitcomb performed at the same level and efficiency she did with Seattle last season for that New York team that lived and died with the 3 but couldn't hit the broad side of a the border wall...she would have been the team's leading scorer. Jones and Willoughby are solid but they can't come close to touching Whitcomb as an outside shooter at this point, and that is why she will be more valuable to their system and get her starter minutes, even if off the bench.

I've said this before. It absolutely baffles me how basketball fans are so endlessly focused on who the starters are. The reference by PickledGinger to "starter minutes" is right on the mark. What's crucial to me is how many minutes each player is on the court and WHEN. Five minutes to go, tie game or very close game. Does Walt Hopkins want Sammi Whitcomb on the court? Or Jocelyn Willoughby? Or Jazmine Jones? Or two of those? To me, who starts the game isn't very important.

PostPosted: 02/24/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Different worlds we live in. Had Whitcomb performed at the same level and efficiency she did with Seattle last season for that New York team that lived and died with the 3 but couldn't hit the broad side of a the border wall...she would have been the team's leading scorer. Jones and Willoughby are solid but they can't come close to touching Whitcomb as an outside shooter at this point, and that is why she will be more valuable to their system and get her starter minutes, even if off the bench.

I've said this before. It absolutely baffles me how basketball fans are so endlessly focused on who the starters are. The reference by PickledGinger to "starter minutes" is right on the mark. What's crucial to me is how many minutes each player is on the court and WHEN. Five minutes to go, tie game or very close game. Does Walt Hopkins want Sammi Whitcomb on the court? Or Jocelyn Willoughby? Or Jazmine Jones? Or two of those? To me, who starts the game isn't very important.

The Warriors won titles with a finishing lineup that never started -- and Andre Igoudala was a Finals MVP off the bench.

And as the old saying goes, if you want to know who the coach thinks her best players are, see who's on the floor at the end of a close game.

PostPosted: 02/24/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think NY's draft last year, other than the obvious Ionescu, was heavy on athletes and relatively light on skill. So adding skill with some athleticism IMO will make a huge difference!

Walker averaged 19.7 ppg on .477/.451/.821 shooting. She made 2.4 three's per game. Willoughby averaged 19.2 ppg on .452/.416/.871 shooting. She was the top scorer among all P5 seniors. Throw in Sabrina, and I'm not sure how much more skill you could find coming out of college last year. The last 3 picks -- Jones, Shook, Odom -- were intended as defensive selections. Defense requires skill too. As it turns out, Jones had the best overall year. It bears repeating that conditions last season were off-the-charts abnormal. I know Shook didn't have access to a basket for shooting practice from the time Louisville shut down until the Liberty gathered in Brooklyn. That was four months without practice for a 3Pt shooter. Kia Nurse was occasionally able to shoot in a neighbor's backyard. Who knows if the hoop was even hung at regulation height? The two players who did venture out to use professional facilities -- Walker and Durr -- both contracted COVID. Then, once in the Wubble, teams had to share practice facilities -- being slotted in for limited hours -- and they also had to reduce practice time because teams played 3 games a week. There were no practice players, so fatigue and injury became bigger obstacles. While some teams adapted well, it's not difficult to imagine a squad with 10 new players -- 7 of them rookies -- having the hardest time adjusting.

One of the interesting things about that interview I posted with Kolb and Hopkins is that they attempted to recalibrate the narrative around what they're doing. Kolb said that while wanting to play five out and shoot 3s was important, they mostly looked at Howard, Laney, and Whitcomb as an opportunity to improve their defense. When asked about analytics, he said the stats were important, but that the eye-test was equally important. Actually, when evaluating players, the most crucial consideration is character and management's belief that the person will fit their culture. Kolb also noted that the Liberty are still in "build" phase, so they will approach the draft with a long-term view rather than trying to fill immediate needs.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 18 of 69

Jump to: