RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the rise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/21/21 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
I'm not expecting Marquette to be able to hold onto Megan Duffy for too long but I'd love to have her stay at Marquette for a long time Smile.

Sadly, this is the first coach, and fan frankly, I thought of. Marquette clearly cares and does things right, so hopefully her replacement can step right in. Marquette is a well organized and very coached team.

They moved very quickly to replace Kieger and made a great hire in Duffy. So my hope is once Duffy moves on they make another great hire. But in the meantime I'll enjoy it while she's still at Marquette Smile.

She would probably be at the top of my wish list when Purdue fires Versyp (dear God, please) in a few weeks.

#SorryNotSorry

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/21/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nope. Nope. Nopenopenopenopenope I already have a conference with multiple rooting interests, you cannot make the Big Numerically Challenged another one, nope nope nope.

(now with spelling variations)
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/21/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure how much further she can rise, but Georgia's Joni "Guns" Taylor is 115-62 (.650) in her first 5+ years as a head coach in the planet's most puissant (not pissant) conference.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/22/21 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
I'm not expecting Marquette to be able to hold onto Megan Duffy for too long but I'd love to have her stay at Marquette for a long time Smile.

Sadly, this is the first coach, and fan frankly, I thought of. Marquette clearly cares and does things right, so hopefully her replacement can step right in. Marquette is a well organized and very coached team.

They moved very quickly to replace Kieger and made a great hire in Duffy. So my hope is once Duffy moves on they make another great hire. But in the meantime I'll enjoy it while she's still at Marquette Smile.

She would probably be at the top of my wish list when Purdue fires Versyp (dear God, please) in a few weeks.

#SorryNotSorry

Dude, there is a thread on the boneyard talking about this and I either wrote, or was going to write, that the first call Purdue should make is to Duffy.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/22/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

#SorryNotSorry

Dude, there is a thread on the boneyard talking about this and I either wrote, or was going to write, that the first call Purdue should make is to Duffy.

Shh - can we get at least another two years with Duffy at MU 😀?

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 02/22/21 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Dawn Plitzuweit at South Dakota has been around long enough that she’s no longer up and coming but has enough career in front of her to be considered for a P5 job. As a Wisconsin native, I’d look for her to go to Wisconsin if Tsipis gets let go or Green Bay when Borseth retires (he’s 66).

Dawn won the D2 championship at Grand Valley in 2006. She left D2 to be the AHC under Borseth at Michigan. When he returned to Green Bay, she became the coach at Northern Kentucky and then South Dakota. She’s won over 70% of her games as a head coach.

https://goyotes.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/dawn-plitzuweit/1078

Coach P will definitely be a strong candidate for higher positions when they open up, but I see her staying at South Dakota for at least another two years. Her son son AJ is a rising star on the men’s team, having an outstanding season this year as a sophomore. I’m glad, because it will keep her at USD at least through my daughters final year next year. Her daughter will be heading to play at Grand Valley State next year, however.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/22/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

#SorryNotSorry

Given how slow Purdue has been to move on from Versyp, it wouldn't surprise me if we are stuck with her from at least two years. I wanted them them to call Duffy two years ago when she was still at Miami.

I know it is rude to openly muse about trying to steal your coach away ...

Phil

PostPosted: 02/22/21 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ethridge at WSU is not exactly a Spring chicken but she did a pretty good job at Northern Colorado before inheriting a bottom P12 team. This is her third year at WSU and this team is already a huge step above anything in recent history at WSU. It may just be because she hit the jackpot with Leger-Walker, but whatever the reason, I'll be curious to see how they progress.

I agree. Some fun games to watch.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/22/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Ethridge at WSU is not exactly a Spring chicken but she did a pretty good job at Northern Colorado before inheriting a bottom P12 team. This is her third year at WSU and this team is already a huge step above anything in recent history at WSU. It may just be because she hit the jackpot with Leger-Walker, but whatever the reason, I'll be curious to see how they progress.

I agree. Some fun games to watch.

She was also an assistant at K-State during their *impressive* seasons in the Big 12, with the likes of Shalee Lehning (who worked with her at N. Colorado), Laurie Koehn (who's with her now), and Nicole Ohlde, all of whom had decent time in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 02/22/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

#SorryNotSorry

Given how slow Purdue has been to move on from Versyp, it wouldn't surprise me if we are stuck with her from at least two years. I wanted them them to call Duffy two years ago when she was still at Miami.

I know it is rude to openly muse about trying to steal your coach away ...

Oh I understand it and it's all out of my control anyway. I also figured out soon after Duffy was hired that I shouldn't get used to any good coach staying at MU - if a coach does well here, other schools are sure to come calling. And I didn't blame Kieger for leaving her alma mater to go to the Big Ten which is a much stronger conference for women's basketball and I certainly wouldn't blame Duffy if she leaves MU to go to a school in a stronger conference.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/22/21 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Part of rooting for a mid-major is accepting that a successful coach is going to leave. Mercer was able to snag a major conference wash-out in Susie Gardner, someone unlikely to appeal to the P5 schools, and she's done extremely well here. That rarely works, though. I've never worried about her going back to the P5, there have been many times I thought she might be a candidate for a job in the MAC or the WCC or someplace like that.

PostPosted: 02/23/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Part of rooting for a mid-major is accepting that a successful coach is going to leave. Mercer was able to snag a major conference wash-out in Susie Gardner, someone unlikely to appeal to the P5 schools, and she's done extremely well here. That rarely works, though. I've never worried about her going back to the P5, there have been many times I thought she might be a candidate for a job in the MAC or the WCC or someplace like that.

Sometimes they don't leave, though. The coach at CMU who was there forever until she retired is a pretty good example (her name slips this aged person's memory, since I am not a MAC fan). And Felisha Legette-Jack may just stay at Buffalo for the long haul since she's doing pretty decently there.

PostPosted: 02/23/21 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Sometimes they don't leave, though. The coach at CMU who was there forever until she retired is a pretty good example (her name slips this aged person's memory, since I am not a MAC fan). And Felisha Legette-Jack may just stay at Buffalo for the long haul since she's doing pretty decently there.

Sue Guevara is who you are thinking of...what a truly great person and coach.

Felisha was HC at Hofstra and despite a career losing record there, she got the job at Indiana. She lasted 5 or 6 years there and was let go after not really much success. She has done well at Buffalo and may like being there as she was originally from Syracuse. That's pretty close to "home" for her.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/23/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sue Guevara was much like Gardner, a major conference wash-out. Most coaches don't get second chances at P5 jobs, especially women.

PostPosted: 02/23/21 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really really hard to turn around a bottom of the conference team in a P5 conference. It's why I really admire Adia Barnes at Arizona and am curious to see if that can be sustained when Aari is gone. Also exciting to see the rise of Washington State basketball which was truly bottom of the barrel for a very long time in the P12.

Just saying there may not be enough motivation to leave a successful mid to try to improve a poor P5. Money maybe, but I have no idea the differences there.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/24/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kenny Brooks has at least gotten VA Tech out of the cellar. He may not be able to take it any further though as the ACC is one tough conference. I admire him for taking them as far as he has. He's a dang good coach. He brought his team back to JMU a couple of years ago and the Dukes beat them in a hard-fought, tough game. Nobody's honor was stained as he acknowledged that half the team that beat his were his recruits. We still love him up here.

I hate to say it, but I don't think Jonathan Tsipis can do much more with Wisconsin than he has. He gets no support from the AD and since the B1G let Maryland in they dominate. Jonathan might do better back in the mids.

OTOH, Kellie Harper is having some pretty good success at Tennessee. Pat said once (I was at that post-game show) that Kellie was the smartest player she ever coached and she wouldn't be surprised to see her back at Tennessee one day. I'm pretty pleased at the improvement in some of the players who didn't seem to be going anywhere before she got there, like KK.

PostPosted: 02/24/21 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Kenny Brooks has at least gotten VA Tech out of the cellar. He may not be able to take it any further though as the ACC is one tough conference. I admire him for taking them as far as he has. He's a dang good coach. He brought his team back to JMU a couple of years ago and the Dukes beat them in a hard-fought, tough game. Nobody's honor was stained as he acknowledged that half the team that beat his were his recruits. We still love him up here.

I hate to say it, but I don't think Jonathan Tsipis can do much more with Wisconsin than he has. He gets no support from the AD and since the B1G let Maryland in they dominate. Jonathan might do better back in the mids.

OTOH, Kellie Harper is having some pretty good success at Tennessee. Pat said once (I was at that post-game show) that Kellie was the smartest player she ever coached and she wouldn't be surprised to see her back at Tennessee one day. I'm pretty pleased at the improvement in some of the players who didn't seem to be going anywhere before she got there, like KK.

Can you give some evidence of the lack of support for Tsipis?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/24/21 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sue Guevara was much like Gardner, a major conference wash-out. Most coaches don't get second chances at P5 jobs, especially women.

Sue had some great years at Michigan. She took the Wolverines to the NCAA tournament three times and was named the Big Ten coach of the year twice during her seven seasons. She definitely dropped off the last two, but her best year she finished 2nd in the conference which is better than KBA has done so far.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/25/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tomekia Reed (Jackson State)

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/26/21 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike McGuire at Radford. Here's a team not getting much if any notice (Big South conference, aka Nowheresville). They started out really slow and after a long pause have righted the ship. They've had an off and on rivalry with JMU.

PostPosted: 03/01/21 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adding former Vanderveer apprectice Lindy LaRocque of UNLV to the list. After taking over a team with only 2 rotation players from last season's 9-9 squad returning, they are currently 15-8 overall and 13-5 in the Mountain West, good enough for 3rd place.

PostPosted: 03/05/21 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Not sure how much further she can rise, but Georgia's Joni "Guns" Taylor is 115-62 (.650) in her first 5+ years as a head coach in the planet's most puissant (not pissant) conference.

She is about to get a fat raise and already makes around $600,000/yr. I don't think there is anywhere that she would consider making a lateral move to be.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/05/21 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joni Taylor's alma mater isn't going to put up that kind of money for WCBB, so she's probably not going anywhere.

PostPosted: 03/06/21 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Sue Guevara is who you are thinking of...what a truly great person and coach.

Felisha was HC at Hofstra and despite a career losing record there, she got the job at Indiana. She lasted 5 or 6 years there and was let go after not really much success. She has done well at Buffalo and may like being there as she was originally from Syracuse. That's pretty close to "home" for her.

So, being a native of upstate NY(I live in Syracuse), I've often been told by outsiders that people from upstate NY are just "different." We have NE attitudes, but deal with cruel, long, and dark winters, which gives us a toughness that we wear on our sleeves. Our personalities aren't for everyone. I think that might personify why FLJ has done so well at Buffalo. She is coaching in the same area in which she's from and probably getting a lot of kids that have the same attitude and toughness that she has. Maybe a place like Indiana wasn't a good fit for her personally and it could've contributed to her struggles there. My sister lives in South Bend, IN, and the people there act sooooooooo much different than I do.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/06/21 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
So, being a native of upstate NY(I live in Syracuse), I've often been told by outsiders that people from upstate NY are just "different." We have NE attitudes, but deal with cruel, long, and dark winters, which gives us a toughness that we wear on our sleeves. Our personalities aren't for everyone.

Interesting theory. Having grown up in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area, I can attest to the fact that there's a 'difference'. But I'd rate it as a GOOD difference from, say....NYC, NJ or West Coast. It's more Midwestern-y, imo. More down-home-ish. But definitely more conservative....glad I'm no longer there.

The Good News is that, like all areas, it's not monolithic -- there are many people of all stripes .... there and in every region.

I'm glad FLJ has found her niche there. Buffalo deserved that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: