RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 02/23/21 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes I hear y'all and know it's a business but sometimes I really hate the way our vets' careers wind down and how we end up saying goodbye to them (from Swoopes on) *sigh* As a long time fan and supporter, I know it's going to only get worse from here though and wish we could afford higher caps and league growth. The CBA was a good step forward for sure and a true start of a new era in the W.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/23/21 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/johnwdavis/status/1364275898174771202

Quote:
"I will retire as a Spark" -@seimoneaugustus

Though she's not boxing herself into saying she's planning on retiring specifically after this season, it does seem like that'll end up being the case based on her saying this at this point in time.

Since she signed a training camp contract though, I guess she'll be calling it a career anyway if she doesn't make the team.

Damn, though. Who would've predicted this soundbite being real as recently as 2019, let alone all the years (& Lynx championships) preceding it...

Last edited by Stormeo on 02/23/21 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/23/21 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Much as I've loved Seimone over the years, she averaged 16mpg and 6ppg last season, plus she's always an injury risk these days. That's worth the vet minimum, if you want to keep playing.

By the way, if you actually doubted my report, the official transactions page also says 'training camp contract' at this point, just to confirm it Wink.

PostPosted: 02/23/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Much as I've loved Seimone over the years, she averaged 16mpg and 6ppg last season, plus she's always an injury risk these days. That's worth the vet minimum, if you want to keep playing.

By the way, if you actually doubted my report, the official transactions page also says 'training camp contract' at this point, just to confirm it ;).

We didn't doubt it all when you reported it. Now that it's on the transactions page we aren't so sure Smile

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 02/23/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

By the way, if you actually doubted my report, the official transactions page also says 'training camp contract' at this point, just to confirm it ;).

We didn't doubt it all when you reported it. Now that it's on the transactions page we aren't so sure Smile

Laughing Indeed, now that it's on the W site I'm suspicious!

Seriously, No Richyyy, I definitely didn't doubt you. I just couldn't believe that was the offer extended and accepted... I suppose the deal may transition into something a bit better once the season starts...Maybe it gives them a little flexibility? We shall see!

GEF34

PostPosted: 02/23/21 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Vadeeva still has a year left on her rookie-scale deal, so no they can't pay her more than that, until next year. Although the excitement over her from some fans is completely out of whack with what she actually produced in the WNBA in her previous visits, in my opinion.
The excitement is from Sparks fans who watched all the games and were able to see what she was able to contribute when she was allowed to get game time.

Stormie-- The evidence is just common sense. The only reason that the Sparks were able to get her that late in the draft was because they were the only ones that had an inside track to her coming to play in the WNBA. She was never that commited to play in the states. She showed up and they gave her far less playing time than she deserved.

Everyone know that the draw to play in the NBA is not the money, but the chance for US born players to play at home and get exposure for endorsements. Another reason is that it helps to elivate their over sea resume. Vadeeva has not need for any ot those things.

I have never been that high on the level of coaching in the WNBA. Its mostly an entry level positions for players with little coaching experience. The good ones want college positons. Its basically a job that requires much less ability than being a college coach, where you have to recruit and develop.

She was planning to play in the WNBA before the worldwide pandemic occurred, so why would it be common sense to assume she is over the WNBA and have no plans on returning when she was planning to return last season had a pandemic not occurred and all those things you mentioned still happened. Now of course the pandemic changes thing, but I don’t get the conclusion that it’s just common sense she is over the WNBA when they certainly didn’t stop her in 2020.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/23/21 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused. Wasn't the driving factor for Augustus leaving the Lynx that she was insulted by their offer/negotiation but a year later, she's fine with this? And proud to retire a Spark? Strange.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/21 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My preliminary vision

Wheeler/Cooper
Toliver/Wiese/Augustus
Sykes/TRP/Holmes
NOgwumike/COgwumike
Zahui/Anigwe

Vadeeva - Not sure Zahui gets signed if she indicated she’s coming in.
Gulich - Maybe she’ll bump Anigwe if she comes in amazing shape.

I have no idea if Chiney wants to play.
#10 pick could be a decent guard or a meh post player. I think the more worthy post players go early pushing decent guards back. So 3 of 5 spots will likely be chosen from the similar group of (#10, Wiese, Augustus, TRP, and Holmes).

Now that Parker is gone, how about GJohnson added for vet minimum?

Since this is Fisher’s first year as GM, any chance he might trade NOgwumike (or possibly Chiney too) for those draft picks Dallas has so he can create a team from scratch?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GEF34

PostPosted: 02/23/21 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I'm a bit confused. Wasn't the driving factor for Augustus leaving the Lynx that she was insulted by their offer/negotiation but a year later, she's fine with this? And proud to retire a Spark? Strange.

I thought it had to do with the way the Lynx acted/approached the free agency process with her than the money itself since she signed with the Sparks for less than what the Lynx offered it.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/24/21 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
My preliminary vision

Wheeler/Cooper
Toliver/Wiese/Augustus
Sykes/TRP/Holmes
NOgwumike/COgwumike
Zahui/Anigwe

That looks like a team fighting to stay out of the lottery

PostPosted: 02/24/21 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zahui and Anigwe? How the mighty have fallen ...

PostPosted: 02/24/21 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
My preliminary vision

Wheeler/Cooper
Toliver/Wiese/Augustus
Sykes/TRP/Holmes
NOgwumike/COgwumike
Zahui/Anigwe

That looks like a team fighting to stay out of the lottery

A step above ATL?

Augustus and Holmes are both very bubbly.
Best move would probably be to cut both of them (both are on training camp contracts), add a bigger guard with #10, and add a FA like GJohnson for the post. Who’s the best FA post available? That’s assuming they can afford such a plan.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
IM in OC

PostPosted: 02/25/21 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/chiney/status/1365030575736688642

I’ve signed a multi-year contract with the Sparks and am so excited to get back on the court with my squad--C. Ogwumike

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/25/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
https://twitter.com/chiney/status/1365030575736688642

I’ve signed a multi-year contract with the Sparks and am so excited to get back on the court with my squad--C. Ogwumike

The reports of her retirement were greatly exaggerated, as it turns out. She wants to win a championship with her sister by her side. We'll see how that goes. I'm interested to see how much she signed for, considering Nneka still hasn't signed whatever she contract she agreed to weeks ago now.

Also, I'm guessing that Chiney's planned continuation of her playing career influenced the Sparks' decision to core Nneka instead of Chelsea Gray. Interesting to think about what the Sparks roster would look like had they done that instead...

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/25/21 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I'm interested to see how much she signed for...

https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1365053203625172994?s=20 Wink

PostPosted: 02/25/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
I'm interested to see how much she signed for...

https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1365053203625172994?s=20 Wink

Right on cue. Laughing Very Happy

Y'know, after catastrophically losing both Parker & Gray in free agency, the Sparks have built up a pretty affordable roster, even if Nneka ends up signing for the absolute supermax. If Fisher can coach this roster into being a contender (even when the Sparks inevitably don't win the title in 2021 Wink ), they've left themselves a good amount of room to stay competitive in free agency in the years ahead.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/25/21 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know there will be a difference of opinion on this and in another thread there is a conversation about how who starts isn't important but

IMO you have to start the sister act, it is a great story and they are a good fit together

Wheeler/Cooper
Toliver/Augustus
Sykes/Weise
N. Ogwumike/Zahui B
C. Ogwumike/Anigwe

That leaves TRP, Holmes, Gulich and pick #10 fighting for the last two spots (or the last spot if Vadeeva is back on board).

PS I can't see them cutting Augustus

It is not the Sparks of old but there are a lot of players who might have something to prove that makes me not as down on this team's potential as some might be.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/26/21 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure Anigwe is better than Gulich. Their minutes and stats aren't much different. Anigwe is more physical and plays close to the basket while Gulich is slightly more skilled and a bit more mobile in terms of being able to shoot from further out.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/26/21 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I know there will be a difference of opinion on this and in another thread there is a conversation about how who starts isn't important but

IMO you have to start the sister act, it is a great story and they are a good fit together

Exclamation I was just saying this! Chiney has clearly been at her best as a full-time starter, whereas Zahui B. has simply been up & down her whole career (yes, she was a great rebounder last year, but was a very streaky shot-maker). Still, Zahui B.'s about to make more than Chiney, so that could be the tell-tale sign right there of who's starting.

myrtle wrote:
I'm not sure Anigwe is better than Gulich. Their minutes and stats aren't much different. Anigwe is more physical and plays close to the basket while Gulich is slightly more skilled and a bit more mobile in terms of being able to shoot from further out.

Anigwe may not be better than Gülich, but she seemed to fit in with the team better than Gülich last season. Anigwe started in place of Ogwumike in their lone playoff game, whereas Gülich didn't even appear in it, even in the closing few garbage-time minutes (she had appeared in the game before, so I don't think it was because she was injured; although she might've been injured off & on the whole season since I see that she only appeared in 12 games). If anyone's on the chopping block in that post group, it's Gülich imo.

Still, new year, and certainly new Sparks. Coincidentally, this is also the third team for both Gülich & Anigwe – which isn't a great sign for either of them if Nia Coffey currently being out of the League is any indication.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/26/21 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Wheeler/Cooper
Toliver/Augustus
Sykes/Weise
N. Ogwumike/Zahui B
C. Ogwumike/Anigwe

That leaves TRP, Holmes, Gulich and pick #10 fighting for the last two spots (or the last spot if Vadeeva is back on board).

PS I can't see them cutting Augustus

It is not the Sparks of old but there are a lot of players who might have something to prove that makes me not as down on this team's potential as some might be.

Problem is that with the ten you have there (or replacements at the same level - Anigwe/Cooper/Vadeeva all cost the same, Augustus/Gulich/Holmes all cost the same), the cap could be coming into play. If Nneka signs for the supermax, that group would leave around 121k of space. That's only enough for two more players if they're on the 0-2 Years of Service minimum (or damn close to it). So if TRP, or Holmes, or even the #10 were added in, that's it. They'd have to go with 11 on opening day.

Nneka taking a small reduction would help them out, but we'll see if she does that.

PostPosted: 03/02/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/03/02/sparks-re-sign-nneka-ogwumike-on-a-multi-year-deal/

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 03/02/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post

jap

PostPosted: 03/03/21 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expected the Warrior Princess to sign up, even if her sister didn't.

PostPosted: 03/04/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sparks.wnba.com/news/sparks-sign-nia-coffey/

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 03/04/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
I expected the Warrior Princess to sign up, even if her sister didn't.

Wasn't that Tina's nickname?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: