RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/10/21 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wake Forest is actually having their best year in some time and considered a bubble team for the tournament. Their current place in the ACC standings (7th) is higher than Hoover’s previous finishes (anywhere from 9th to 15th).

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

On the other hand, among those who are stuck....basically not going anywhere after 7 seasons or so...are Kristy Curry, Robin Pingeton, and Terri Williams-Flournoy. They just don't seem to be able to get much above that 400 mark and never have. I'm sad about Jonathan Tsipis. I think he's a good coach but I think he's in an untenable situation. It looks like Barry Alvarez doesn't care any more about WBB than Pat Richter did. Sad WBB at my alma mater has gone to hell. I don't know what to think about Wake Forest. Maybe they don't care about WBB either. I mean, she's been there 9 seasons and their record is 37-95 and she's STILL there? What?????

I hope you enjoyed your alma mater’s big win today.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/11/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

On the other hand, among those who are stuck....basically not going anywhere after 7 seasons or so...are Kristy Curry, Robin Pingeton, and Terri Williams-Flournoy. They just don't seem to be able to get much above that 400 mark and never have. I'm sad about Jonathan Tsipis. I think he's a good coach but I think he's in an untenable situation. It looks like Barry Alvarez doesn't care any more about WBB than Pat Richter did. Sad WBB at my alma mater has gone to hell. I don't know what to think about Wake Forest. Maybe they don't care about WBB either. I mean, she's been there 9 seasons and their record is 37-95 and she's STILL there? What?????

I hope you enjoyed your alma mater’s big win today.

You bet I did! Any day the Badgers can beat OSU is a good day. We always joked back in the day that if they did that, they didn't have to do anything else all season. Laughing **** 'em Bucky! (sorry not sorry about that, it's an actual cheer from my alma mater which the "authorities" were always trying to suppress---there were even sweatshirts with that logo)

PostPosted: 02/12/21 4:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My coaches hot list (alphabetically) [replacement]

Sherri Coale (Oklahoma) [Johnnie Harris]
Nancy Fahey (Illinois) [Michelle Clark-Heard]
Nikki Fargas (LSU) [Holly Warlick]
Brandon Schneider (Kansas) [Sytia Messer]
Tina Thompson (Virginia) [Joanne Boyle]
Jonathan Tsipis (Wisconsin) [Karen Blair]
Sharon Versyp (Purdue) [Stephanie White]
Stephanie White (Vanderbilt) [Gail Goestenkors]
Terri Williams-Flournoy (Auburn) [Carol Ross]
Jodi Wynn (Washington) [Sue Bird]

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/12/21 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:

Why would Purdue want Stephanie White when she hasn’t proven she can turn the corner at Vanderbilt (less than .200 in SEC games)? The former player as savior concept isn’t working out so well with three current Big Ten teams.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/12/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
basketballologist wrote:

Why would Purdue want Stephanie White when she hasn’t proven she can turn the corner at Vanderbilt (less than .200 in SEC games)? The former player as savior concept isn’t working out so well with three current Big Ten teams.

Seriously. Rolling Eyes Few of those other ones are also pretty suspect as well.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/12/21 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
basketballologist wrote:

Seriously. Rolling Eyes Few of those other ones are also pretty suspect as well.

Like Carol Ross who is 61 and hasn’t coached in 7 years (or in college since 2007)? Wink

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/12/21 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that Gail Goestenkors might be more interested in Purdue -- the place where she was an assistant coach before landing the head job at Duke -- than Vanderbilt.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/12/21 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:

Back to the drawing board, hon. Why would you replace Nikki Fargas with Holly Warlick, who a. doesn't want a HC job again (she's said so), and b. didn't succeed at her last one after 7 years? And why replace Sharon Versyp with Stephanie White, who already proved she can't coach a winning team and needs to do something else? And do you really think Carol Ross wants to return to coaching? I doubt it. Or has Sue Bird shown the slightest inclination in that direction? She's a big name, but does she want to coach, and is she ready?

IMNSHO, the only one I see that's right is that Coach Boyle needs to come back to UVA...if she's done with her daughter's immigration issues and other family stuff. I don't think Oklahoma will replace Sherri Coale...they like her too much, win or lose. Jonathan Tsipis' time may indeed be up at Wisconsin, regardless of his big win the other night, but Barry Alvarez doesn't seem to care enough about WBB to replace him with anyone of any standing. As for
Illinois, that place was left in such a mess that I don't think it will ever be fixed by anyone, but let Fahey at least TRY. She's only been there 3 years.

PostPosted: 02/12/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see why Virginia would want Boyle back who went .566 while there and only went to the NCAAT once in seven years.

Likewise I don't see Holly Warlick as a HC in the SEC again. Maybe as an AC/ Recruiting Coordinator. Besides her past deficiencies, she's 62 and I think she's had her shot at the P5 HC level.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/12/21 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I don't see why Virginia would want Boyle back who went .566 while there and only went to the NCAAT once in seven years.

Likewise I don't see Holly Warlick as a HC in the SEC again. Maybe as an AC/ Recruiting Coordinator. Besides her past deficiencies, she's 62 and I think she's had her shot at the P5 HC level.

Nell Fortner went from TV back to coaching and she is doing pretty well right now and she is 61. Not saying Holly's situation is the same, but I see her doing TV now too and maybe if the right job opens up, she could hop back in. She would be outside of the presser cooker in Knoxville where anyone replacing Pat was really set up for a tough situation.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/12/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UVA was in the tank when Boyle got there. It was going up when she left. It's gone back down since.I really think she'd get it going again. The ACC is a tough conference and UVA is one of those schools with really tough admission standards, which makes recruiting a little harder. I agree with you about Holly, though. She's doing some broadcasting and doing well. She sounds so much better than she did in press conferences that I didn't recognize her at first.

Last edited by summertime blues on 02/12/21 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/12/21 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird? Interesting ... has she ever shown any interest in coaching? And if so, I don't know that Washington would be her first choice. But maybe ...

Still, I don't see UW buying out Wynn in a pandemic. In fact, my guess would be no coaches will be bought out for lack of on-court performance this year. There's not enough money to do so, and it's plausible to give a mulligan.

If that happens, though, look for lots of change a year from now.

PostPosted: 02/12/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't see anyone getting fired after this season unless their contracts are up. There may be some movement do to retirements but it would be hard to justify firing someone this year if you have a buyout.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/13/21 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
The former player as savior concept isn’t working out so well with three current Big Ten teams.

You mean former player at the school they are coaching? Whalen at Minnesota fits that but I don't see the others.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/13/21 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
The former player as savior concept isn’t working out so well with three current Big Ten teams.

You mean former player at the school they are coaching? Whalen at Minnesota fits that but I don't see the others.

The other 2 are Versyp at Purdue and Williams at Nebraska.

Just fyi, that would have been very easy to search. You could have wiped out a few schools right off the bat that have male coaches (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Northwestern) and probably even the schools that are currently doing well (Maryland, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa). My guess is any fan of women's basketball knows the story of Coach Stringer at Rutgers so she could have been ruled out easy enough. In addition, you already knew about Whalen/Minnesota so that would have left 5 schools to find the other 2: Penn State, Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska.

Just lending a helping hand on this icy, cold Saturday morning.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/13/21 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
My guess is any fan of women's basketball knows the story of Coach Stringer at Rutgers ....

Slightly OT, but....one never hears much discussion of CViv any more. I know there was, not too long ago, talk of her seat being heated. But she has persisted. Which I personally am glad about....I've always liked her, and she certainly has done some remarkable things for *our* game. Her longevity alone -- at 72, having nearly 50 years as a coach -- and her accolades, including 1000+ wins and induction to the wbb HOF make her a legend.

PostPosted: 02/13/21 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
My guess is any fan of women's basketball knows the story of Coach Stringer at Rutgers ....

Slightly OT, but....one never hears much discussion of CViv any more. I know there was, not too long ago, talk of her seat being heated. But she has persisted. Which I personally am glad about....I've always liked her, and she certainly has done some remarkable things for *our* game. Her longevity alone -- at 72, having nearly 50 years as a coach -- and her accolades, including 1000+ wins and induction to the wbb HOF make her a legend.

Not to mention the 3 different schools to the Final Four. She really is an institution and we will miss her when she is gone from the game. Hopefully she will be looked at as a trail blazer when it is said and done.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/14/21 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don’t shoot yet! Sherri Poodle Doo has her Sooners resurgent with wins this week over once ranked Iowa State and ranked West Virginia. BOOMER!

tfan

PostPosted: 02/16/21 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
tfan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

The other 2 are Versyp at Purdue and Williams at Nebraska.

Just fyi, that would have been very easy to search. You could have wiped out a few schools right off the bat that have male coaches (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Northwestern) and probably even the schools that are currently doing well (Maryland, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa). My guess is any fan of women's basketball knows the story of Coach Stringer at Rutgers so she could have been ruled out easy enough. In addition, you already knew about Whalen/Minnesota so that would have left 5 schools to find the other 2: Penn State, Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska.

Just lending a helping hand on this icy, cold Saturday morning.

I was eliminating the coaches and only had Purdue and Nebraska left. I didn't think either program met the "needed/wanted a savior" part of

"former player as savior concept isn’t working out so well "

so I quit, I should have made my confusion with the phrasing clear when I asked who was being referred to.

In the year Yori was forced out due to player complaints (2016), Nebraska was 9-9 (T-7th) in the Big 10 and 18-13 overall. Not sure that Nebraska has been that good over the years that a .500 season has them desperate to move up, particularly with Maryland and Rutgers having joined. But it is debatable. However, the Purdue team Versyp took over was 2nd in the Big 10 (13-3) and 26-7 overall and made the Sweet Sixteen the year before. Doesn't seem like they were in need of a savior.

And Versyp has been there for many years, so I didn't see her as a hire "not working out" since she is in her 15th year. To me the phrase "not working out" means the person was hired, and results or other issues have been bad enough that they aren't going to make it past their first contract renewal.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/16/21 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I was eliminating the coaches and only had Purdue and Nebraska left. I didn't think either program met the "needed/wanted a savior" part of

"former player as savior concept isn’t working out so well "

so I quit, I should have made my confusion with the phrasing clear when I asked who was being referred to.

In the year Yori was forced out due to player complaints (2016), Nebraska was 9-9 (T-7th) in the Big 10 and 18-13 overall. Not sure that Nebraska has been that good over the years that a .500 season has them desperate to move up, particularly with Maryland and Rutgers having joined. But it is debatable. However, the Purdue team Versyp took over was 2nd in the Big 10 (13-3) and 26-7 overall and made the Sweet Sixteen the year before. Doesn't seem like they were in need of a savior.

And Versyp has been there for many years, so I didn't see her as a hire "not working out" since she is in her 15th year. To me the phrase "not working out" means the person was hired, and results or other issues have been bad enough that they aren't going to make it past their first contract renewal.

Purdue needed someone to come in and straighten out the NCAA mess that the previous staff created. While the winning was there, the long list of NCAA violations also existed, which caused a few recruits to depart and was sending the program downhill in a hurry. She managed that fairly well but has really fallen on some hard times over the last few years.

Thus, despite the winning record, that program was a mess when she took over.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/17/21 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Karen Barefoot at UNCW. They're 3-10 on the season this year and 0-7 in conference play in the CAA. This is about par for the time she's been there.

PostPosted: 02/23/21 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Nell Fortner went from TV back to coaching and she is doing pretty well right now and she is 61. Not saying Holly's situation is the same, but I see her doing TV now too and maybe if the right job opens up, she could hop back in. She would be outside of the presser cooker in Knoxville where anyone replacing Pat was really set up for a tough situation.

We would love to have Holly at Auburn. Then again, someone that actually does something other than collect a paycheck would be nice.

fanaticka

PostPosted: 03/04/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/3/4/auburn-announces-womens-basketball-coaching-change.aspx
Terri Williams-Flournoy's tenure is over.
I have no idea who they should hire but I sure hope for better recruiting and results.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 03/04/21 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:
https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/3/4/auburn-announces-womens-basketball-coaching-change.aspx
Terri Williams-Flournoy's tenure is over.
I have no idea who they should hire but I sure hope for better recruiting and results.

FINALLY. With the budget that Auburn has, finding a proven coach should not be a problem. Getting this hire right is very important.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: