RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chloe Briggs 2023: Better than Bueckers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/17/21 11:05 pm    ::: Chloe Briggs 2023: Better than Bueckers? Reply Reply with quote

She's 5-11 from Ontario, CA, the next town over from Chino, the hometown of Diana Taurasi. In fact, Chloe plays club ball for Team Taurasi and her mother, Kim, played high school ball against Diana.

In the video, watch Chloe rip three's from 25 feet, drive while wrapping the ball around her back, zip no-look passes, and pull-up after vertiginous spindarella moves.

As a high school freshman,

Quote:
Briggs scored 1,217 points during the 2019-20 season, eclipsing the 38-year mark of 1,197 set by Riverside Poly graduate Cheryl Miller, who is considered one of the greatest female basketball players of all time after playing at USC.

. . . .

Briggs set several school individual records, including scoring average (33.8 points per game), total points (1,127), field goals made (421), free throws made (233), defensive rebounds (303), assists (231), steals (176). highest 3-point field goal percentage (34.7 percent) and highest free throw percentage (77.2 percent).

<iframe width="563" height="317" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VG_33akfG_c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She has said,

Quote:
“My dream schools are Oregon or UCLA,”

and she has offers from both, among many others.
taropatch

PostPosted: 02/18/21 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering she’s currently in the 10th grade, she could surpass Paige Bueckers skillset by the time she graduates. She has Caitlin Clark 3pt range firing from five feet behind the arc to complete the full package. Strange that HoopGurlz doesn’t list her in the class of 2023. She can’t be under the radar. This is no late bloomer – she was kicking butt as a high school freshman and even before that. Maybe ClayK can weigh in on this Californian.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/18/21 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can she do anything else? Nitpicking: Her release is a little low so she can generate distance on her shot, but to be better than Bueckers, she needs to pass, drive and defend.

And sadly, Southern California is really a different state -- it's about 400 miles away. Love to get Ontario Christian to come north for the 2021 West Coast Jamboree, though.

PostPosted: 02/18/21 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HERE is a MaxPreps page that has 15 video clips of Chloe Briggs, apparently preceded by some ads.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 02/18/21 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's hope she stays south.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/18/21 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

Maybe south of WA.... Laughing Oregon will be needing her services, I'd think. Cool

PostPosted: 02/19/21 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Maybe south of WA.... Laughing Oregon will be needing her services, I'd think. Cool

From one of the articles I linked:

Quote:
Briggs’ game has been compared by some to that of college and NBA legend Pete Maravich. But Briggs’ basketball idol (other than Bryant) is someone younger than Maravich or Bryant: University of Oregon’s Sabrina Ionescu.

“It’s just the way she can score, she can rebound, she can pass. She’s everyone’s perfect point guard,” Briggs said.
taropatch

PostPosted: 02/19/21 2:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Video of perimeter sharp shooters alone don't get my extra attention. It's her passing that caught my eye. Briggs reminds me of Olivia Miles' passing skills.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/19/21 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Video of perimeter sharp shooters alone don't get my extra attention. It's her passing that caught my eye. Briggs reminds me of Olivia Miles' passing skills.

Hopefully USA Basketball will have its U17 tryouts over Memorial Day and I'll get a look at her in person, against elite competition.

PostPosted: 02/20/21 1:30 am    ::: Re: Chloe Briggs 2023: Better than Bueckers? Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“My dream schools are Oregon or UCLA,”

Call me crazy, but I think she should split the difference and go to Cal.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/20/21 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Stanford gave her an offer.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
taropatch

PostPosted: 02/20/21 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As Shades as mentioned, according to her twitter -- Stanford too.

robertoclementeforever

PostPosted: 02/21/21 9:43 am    ::: Chloe Briggs Reply Reply with quote

Briggs hasn't faced elite level competition and her skill set at this point in time is inferior to all three of the Samuelson sisters.

Briggs was given a grade of 90 but unranked by HoopsGirlz and unranked by Prospects Nation. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say she has obvious upside but time will tell how much.

Respectfully, I'll go out on a limb and say that Briggs is not now, nor will she ever be, comparable to Paige Buechers. Anyone who saw Paige in yesterdays Xavier game pass from the length of the court to a flying Christyn Williams with defenders on her strong and weak sides and hit her chest high in stride with a bomb in the paint is still wondering if it really happened.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: