RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 Connecticut @ St John’s - 2/17/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/17/21 1:23 am    ::: #1 Connecticut @ St John’s - 2/17/21 Reply Reply with quote

Queens, NY - 6:00 PM ET
TV: SNY (Allen Bestwick, Meghan Culmo)

Video stream:
http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/sny (tvpli)
https://www.foxsports.com/live (tvpli)

Audio:
https://listen.tunein.com/connecticutwbbschedule

Live stats:
https://redstormsports.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
przemoe

PostPosted: 02/17/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any idea when Anna's coming back?

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/17/21 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

przemoe wrote:
Any idea when Anna's coming back?

No information from UConn except she has some sort of leg injury.

I'm not as enamored of Muhl as others are, and like the lineup with Edwards better.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/17/21 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

46-15 at the half.

UConn shot 76% in the half (80% 3pt) and held SJ to 27%.

ONO 15pts 7-10 Bueckers 13 pts on 5-5 4r 5a.

Yeah, it's Massey No 110 but still nice to see much better team work on defense than 6 weeks ago.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/17/21 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PB could have had 2 or 3 more assists in the 1H if her mates hadn't blown layups.
Tally24

PostPosted: 02/17/21 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Muhl has to get a little less predictable on the offensive end, especially on the break.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/17/21 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One nice thing is that I can watch till the end. The talent for UConn extends deep into the roster. McClean would be a freshman star at a lot of schools.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/17/21 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The UConn defense was very good, but I'm going to pick a negative nit about the offense.

No matter that they rebounded and assisted, if two starters combine for zero points on 0-3 shooting, the offense will not be sufficient to prevail in the Final Four. And, 77 points against SJU on anomalous 65% shooting may only be 57 points against the likes of SC, Stanford, Louisville and Baylor, which likely won't cut nets.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 02/17/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, the rest and practice paid off, yes the D is improving, yes they have a bench and the last 5+ mins of these blowouts are watchable, yes CW and Ono played well...and the biggest YES of all: performed vs. Massey #110. ONE HUNDRED AND TEN.

They will go as far as PB can take them. She needs to shoot more- at least 5 shots per quarter.

Ono took only 1 three. That's 1 too many for me, but i'll sign for that for the remainder of the season.

Imo, the Makurat injury has served this team well.

I fear the poor starts, poor FT shooting, and lackluster (31%) 3FG shooting, excluding PB, will prevent a FF appearance. But, in this Season of the Covid, in which no team stands head and shoulders above the field, anything can happen.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/17/21 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The defense was much worse but the offense was overall better in the first SJU game: 94 points on 54 FG% (35-65), 43 3FG% (9-21), 88 FT% (15-17), with 27 assists.

But I can always enjoy these:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4_4ja_fWONo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/17/21 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see I made a smart life choice not watching this game.

PostPosted: 02/18/21 3:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

There were a few times I thought "Queenie would be proud of that move!!" but more oft then not even I was thinking wow that's too easy (for UConn). St. John's has some hoopers no doubt, just gotta make good decisions

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/18/21 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Out of curiosity- what do you think of the St. John’s coach. I got a certain impression, but obviously I don’t watch much so I’m curious.

Muhl seems to be stuck in a pattern of trying to be cute, Geno yanking her and telling her to not do that, and then because she’s a real husky (and therefore stubborn af) when she returns to the game, she does what she wants. Which of course is why Geno loves her.

The team always plays better with Edwards. I’m still of the “three freshman, and pick two of the others” mindset..but the two others changes per game..and maybe that’s just the way it’s going to be for the season. We’ve had enough big games to see that the Freshman play good when it matters..I guess we just ha w to see which other two show up..

I actually wouldn’t be opposed to sitting Westbrook and starting Edwards. I like Westbrook the best out of the upperclassmen, but she’s not a scorer - and I think Muhl is where we should be investing. (But we could have Williams come off the bench for a scoring spark - but I don’t want to shake her confidence either)

So glad to see Williams get her spark back these past two games.

Paige Bueckers is still on video game mode. There are times (not this game) where I think to myself (hmm, Paige isn’t shooting well” and then I look and she’s shooting over 50%..ridiculous)

PostPosted: 02/18/21 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Out of curiosity- what do you think of the St. John’s coach. I got a certain impression, but obviously I don’t watch much so I’m curious.

I felt at the time that he was the laziest possible hire that St. John's could make after KBA left, and that they couldn't even be bothered to perform an actual coaching search. My understanding is that he works cheap and knows how to work the boosters, which is good, because he has all the personality of cardboard with regular people. I don't know if he wants to be here so much as he can't think of anywhere he wants to be. I don't give a crap about how cute he thinks his kids are.

As a coach, I find his micro-managing of our point guards to be immensely frustrating and would not be surprised if that were a large part of why Tiana England grad-transferred to Florida State. I abhor the way he insists on milking the clock at the end of games, even when we're losing, and can think of multiple games he's managed to lose for us with that mindset. I despise how much time he spends yelling about things that are happening on court to players who aren't playing, often haven't played, and sometimes don't ever play. I thought that the commentators trying to slide him into the same breath as Auriemma, Bozzella, and Bruno just because he's also Italian-American was an insult to all three of those gentlemen, any of whom can coach circles around him and quite often have. He has done almost as much to move Seton Hall, Michigan, and Fordham up my rooting interests list as Tony, Kim, and the Rams have, and there have been times when the only reason I stick with St. John's is because I don't want to be one of those fans who walks away when things get bad. (Not being able to get to games during the pandemic doesn't help that either, since part of what drew me to St. John's was proximity and reasonable ticket prices.)

I, uh, may have some strong feelings on the matter?

PostPosted: 02/18/21 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a good thing, Queenie, that you have the flexibility to root for N-1 teams. (N = all of D1).

You should root for Columbia. The Lions need another fan . . . so they'll have two.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/18/21 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I felt at the time that he was the laziest possible hire that St. John's could make after KBA left, and that they couldn't even be bothered to perform an actual coaching search. My understanding is that he works cheap and knows how to work the boosters, which is good, because he has all the personality of cardboard with regular people. I don't know if he wants to be here so much as he can't think of anywhere he wants to be. I don't give a crap about how cute he thinks his kids are.

As a coach, I find his micro-managing of our point guards to be immensely frustrating and would not be surprised if that were a large part of why Tiana England grad-transferred to Florida State. I abhor the way he insists on milking the clock at the end of games, even when we're losing, and can think of multiple games he's managed to lose for us with that mindset. I despise how much time he spends yelling about things that are happening on court to players who aren't playing, often haven't played, and sometimes don't ever play. I thought that the commentators trying to slide him into the same breath as Auriemma, Bozzella, and Bruno just because he's also Italian-American was an insult to all three of those gentlemen, any of whom can coach circles around him and quite often have. He has done almost as much to move Seton Hall, Michigan, and Fordham up my rooting interests list as Tony, Kim, and the Rams have, and there have been times when the only reason I stick with St. John's is because I don't want to be one of those fans who walks away when things get bad. (Not being able to get to games during the pandemic doesn't help that either, since part of what drew me to St. John's was proximity and reasonable ticket prices.)

I, uh, may have some strong feelings on the matter?

So my “might be a talented team, but appears to be poorly coached” judgement wasn’t far off? Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/18/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
It's a good thing, Queenie, that you have the flexibility to root for N-1 teams. (N = all of D1).

You should root for Columbia. The Lions need another fan . . . so they'll have two.

In the halcyon days when we were allowed to be indoors with strangers, Columbia was on the spreadsheet and decently high in the rotation; I like Levien as a facility and Ivy League teams tend to get at least one exotic visiting team in the non-conference.

However, I have to take exception to your libel of the Columbia fan base. I have Liberty neighbors who are Columbia STH. They already have *at least* two fans.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: