RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Connecticut @ Georgetown - 2/12/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/21 1:36 am    ::: #2 Connecticut @ Georgetown - 2/12/21 Reply Reply with quote

Washington, DC - 6:00 PM ET
TV: CBS Sports Net (John Sadak, Christy Winters-Scott)

Video stream:
https://www.cbssports.com/cbs-sports-network/ (tvpli)

Live stats:
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=324722

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/12/21 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I'm just curious: are commentators actually allowed to talk about players other than Bueckers on UConn broadcasts?

(now with spelling variations)
Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/21 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=30889413&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 02/13/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So I'm just curious: are commentators actually allowed to talk about players other than Bueckers on UConn broadcasts?

Hope you enjoy Wednesday's.

Laughing

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/13/21 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I mean..generally speaking No other UConn player really gives anyone a reason to talk about them too much...

PostPosted: 02/16/21 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm gonna write that off as watching a very young, very tired team trudge its way through a contest vs an over-matched opponent.

5 days between games should be exactly what these kids need.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/16/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

It's actually part of the broadcast contract that they don't.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/16/21 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Queenie wrote:

It's actually part of the broadcast contract that they don't.

My reading of the contracts is that they are allowed to talk about Bueckers only in relation to things not happening in the actual game. For example, they can babble endlessly about Bueckers' past achievements, her recruiting process, her ranking and award possibilities, as well as her favorite sneakers, movies, music, bubble gum, social media and breakfast cereal.

Commentators are not allowed to talk about what Bueckers, or anyone else, is actually doing in the games upon which they are supposedly commenting.
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/21 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Commentators are not allowed to talk about what Bueckers, or anyone else, is actually doing in the games upon which they are supposedly commenting.

so true and so sad Crying or Very sad These days I most enjoy the games called by a single person who actually does play by play. They are few and far between but so refreshing!

- Amanda Gorman
Tally24

PostPosted: 02/17/21 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

so true and so sad Crying or Very sad These days I most enjoy the games called by a single person who actually does play by play. They are few and far between but so refreshing!

I wonder if there’s a generational gap because I don’t mind the play by play/color commentary. It’s never anything groundbreaking, but I’ve always been a fan of how often they expose listeners to things not explicitly linked to the game. As someone who started watching WCBB in 2010, I didn’t know a lot, and the threads that the broadcasters would weave together would help me paint a bigger picture that I didn’t know existed. I still like it because I don’t have the free time to watch as many games as I’d like to, so I really only watch UConn consistently. That’s just me though.
ucbart

PostPosted: 02/17/21 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I wonder if there’s a generational gap because I don’t mind the play by play/color commentary. It’s never anything groundbreaking, but I’ve always been a fan of how often they expose listeners to things not explicitly linked to the game. As someone who started watching WCBB in 2010, I didn’t know a lot, and the threads that the broadcasters would weave together would help me paint a bigger picture that I didn’t know existed. I still like it because I don’t have the free time to watch as many games as I’d like to, so I really only watch UConn consistently. That’s just me though.

It's 100% generational.

I can, without hesitation, tell you that I don't think Monica McNutt should even have a job in media. She is boldly loyal to teams, players, and coaches; to the extent that she appears to cheer for teams during the broadcast. I thought her calling of the UCONN/SC game was probably one of the most unprofessional and terrible game calls I've ever heard. She was blatantly cheering for South Carolina and "Coach Staley." She admires Staley and that's fine, there is certainly a lot to admire-but not during the broadcast. Now, I'm sure Monica is great, she certainly has a passion to grow the game, and that's never a bad thing, but IMO, she just needs to grow and be taught.

Fox has been given the goose that lays the golden egg in the women's basketball word for ratings, in UCONN. It's their job now to hire, develop, and grow the talent of their employees. Look at soccer, Fox's coverage of women's soccer is on another planet than ESPN. So, they can do it, they just need to.

As for Paige, I fear that everyone will be sick of her the way I was sick of Sabrina. Now, I like Sabrina Ionescu a LOT-but man, ESPN hitched their wagon to her star and was relentless with it. I've never seen a player get fawned over that never won a FF game in her life. Yes, last year wasn't her fault and Oregon would've made it, but still.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/17/21 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I'm guessing you don't watch much UConn BB?

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general I don't mind a bit of homerism. I actually like it when they are enthusiastic - especially about what is actually happening on the floor. On the other hand you can listen to Antonelli, Peck, Murphy et.al and it could take awhile to tell who's actually playing. Mostly you find out that their conferences are God's gift to mankind and the teams in front of them should all get #1 seeds because they are so clearly better than all the teams in those other conferences.

My favorite announcer this year is the guy who does Washington State. He is so crisp and clean, announces the game, and uses the pauses or ft line to give additional extra stats or thoughts about the players involved. It is amazing and so, so refreshing! He can get a lot of stuff in and STILL call the game.

Now I have to admit part of it is that I have a blind partner and if the announcers are rambling off topic like they often do, then he keeps asking me to mute the tv and call the game myself, so he can tell what's going on. Sometimes we're lucky if they actually mention the game after every 6th play or so. Since I'm not paid to be an announcer, I prefer to let someone else do that. I think Pam Ward actually does a fairly decent job but it depends on who is partnered with her if she can keep them on track or not. I think she and LaChina generally work well together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: