RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Valparaiso University Retires Crusader Mascot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/11/21 7:59 pm    ::: Valparaiso University Retires Crusader Mascot Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"The negative connotation and violence associated with the Crusader imagery are not reflective of Valpo's mission and values, which promote a welcoming and inclusive community," Irwin-Knott said.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/education/valparaiso-university-retiring-crusader-mascot/531-f8b9e4eb-e4d7-43d5-9bff-f541d6abaf0c

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/11/21 8:35 pm    ::: Re: Valparaiso University Retires Crusader Mascot Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
"The negative connotation and violence associated with the Crusader imagery are not reflective of Valpo's mission and values, which promote a welcoming and inclusive community," Irwin-Knott said.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/education/valparaiso-university-retiring-crusader-mascot/531-f8b9e4eb-e4d7-43d5-9bff-f541d6abaf0c

This is stupid. Give me a break already.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/12/21 5:39 am    ::: Re: Valparaiso University Retires Crusader Mascot Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:

It is past time for a certain school to do away with their nickname because of the association with drunk driving. Very Happy Very Happy

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/12/21 10:38 am    ::: Re: Valparaiso University Retires Crusader Mascot Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:

It is past time for a certain school to do away with their nickname because of the association with drunk driving. Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously. I mean, isn't the little leprechaun an insult and offensive to all the Irish people in the world? Where does this oversensitivity end? I know that some teams and schools that use "Indians" as a nickname are looking into possibly changing. So, if that is the case, what about Fighting Irish? Vikings? Raiders? Saints? Yankees? Cavaliers? Spartans? Friars? Warriors? Braves? Cowboys? Sooners? 49ers?

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/12/21 11:43 am    ::: Re: Valparaiso University Retires Crusader Mascot Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:

Seriously. I mean, isn't the little leprechaun an insult and offensive to all the Irish people in the world? Where does this oversensitivity end? I know that some teams and schools that use "Indians" as a nickname are looking into possibly changing. So, if that is the case, what about Fighting Irish? Vikings? Raiders? Saints? Yankees? Cavaliers? Spartans? Friars? Warriors? Braves? Cowboys? Sooners? 49ers?

The entire cancel culture is exhausting and in most instances, totally ridiculous and it caters to a small amount of people, but it's overblown by the media, both mainstream and social.

I wish people would put half as much energy into the homeless people that live in the parking garage across the street from my apartment as they do nonsense like this.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/21 11:52 am    ::: Re: Valparaiso University Retires Crusader Mascot Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I wish people would put half as much energy into the homeless people that live in the parking garage across the street from my apartment as they do nonsense like this.

That would require people to actually inconvenience themselves. Maybe even spend their time and money helping another person. It's much easier to fight these symbolic battles.

PostPosted: 02/14/21 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, so after reading the article, part of why they're doing it is that the imagery has been appropriated by the KKK, so I kinda get why they're doing it.

PostPosted: 02/14/21 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being of Lutheran heritage (as is Valpo) I'm not exactly dismayed. The Crusades, as they stand on their own, were an ISIS-like movement, with the Muslim/Christian roles reversed.

The term, "They're on a crusade" can have implications that are positive: being driven, highly motivated to accomplish a goal, etc.

That said, I'd agree that this depth of Cancel Culture is absurd, when (yes!) there are REAL problems all around us that are more pressing.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Being of Lutheran heritage (as is Valpo) I'm not exactly dismayed. The Crusades, as they stand on their own, were an ISIS-like movement, with the Muslim/Christian roles reversed.

It appears you totally bought in to the prevaricative spin that the agenda driven ani west culture has sucdcessfully employed. It might help to have less of a microspect perspective of history on that subject raiher being more inclusive of cause and effect

PostPosted: 02/16/21 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before YouTube censors the very first cartoon ever made specifically for television, here it is. TRIGGER WARNING: This cartoon may traumatize a generation of emotionally, intellectually and culturally fragile safe-spacers.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C3hHQvkUhJo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Howee

PostPosted: 02/16/21 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Howee wrote:

It appears you totally bought in to the prevaricative spin that the agenda driven ani west culture has sucdcessfully employed. It might help to have less of a microspect perspective of history on that subject raiher being more inclusive of cause and effect.

Well, mayhaps you might care to ENLIGHTEN us as to just how the Crusades were a force for Good. Double Dare ya! Razz

PostPosted: 02/16/21 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I urge academics, atheists and and other "progressives" to eradicate Billy Graham from American and world history.

Over 58 years, Graham conducted 417 evangelistic rallies in 187 countries on six continents. He, and his obviously white supremacist media lackeys, called these events CRUSADES.

The more than 200,000 million who attended Billy Graham Crusades were obviously aligned with the KKK, particularly the 3.2 million who attended the 1973 crusade in South Korea.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/16/21 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of the arguments being made here are... not persuasive, or at least not persuasive in the manner in which their makers intend. And some perhaps indicate that they are unaware of the concerns raised in the linked article.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And while we're at it, let's cancel the 50+ year Crusade Against Cancer, which, in the persuasive rhetoric of Valpariaiso, "has connections to violence and hate groups, does not represent its core values."

The hate group connections to the Crusade Against Cancer are particularly virulent, because they are 1200 years more recent than the connections to the medieval Crusades. Even worse, this hate group conspiracy movement has involved the U.S. post office, which issued a non-core value stamp . . .

. . .

and has obviously even hoodwinked black people into the omnipresent KKK . . .

Down the Orwellian memory hole with all of it. All of them. And . . . next . . . all of you.
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/16/21 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
willtalk wrote:
Howee wrote:

It appears you totally bought in to the prevaricative spin that the agenda driven ani west culture has sucdcessfully employed. It might help to have less of a microspect perspective of history on that subject raiher being more inclusive of cause and effect.

Well, mayhaps you might care to ENLIGHTEN us as to just how the Crusades were a force for Good. Double Dare ya! Razz

OK ... so the Crusades were an invasion of the Muslim world cloaked in piety. It was no different than the Muslim invasion of the Christian world 400 years earlier, which was also cloaked in piety. (One can argue about the sincerity of the religious motivations of the invaders on both sides ...)

Now of course just because Johnny was bad in the sandbox doesn't mean it's OK for Julie to be bad in the sandbox, but there is a certain symmetry here.

On to the actual question: The Crusades were an enormous kick start to the Europe, and to a lesser extent, the Arab world.

The economic benefits to both are pretty clear, as increased trade (especially in spices) were a positive to both societies.

The intellectual benefits traveled mainly east to west, but the infusion of classical literature and philosophy into the West had an enormous and lasting impact. To a much lesser degree, the Arab world did gain access to knowledge and ideas it did not possess.

The cultural benefits for both sides were ongoing, as the interchange between the two sides took place on the common ground of the Levant, and continued unabated thereafter.

To be clear, I am not arguing that the Crusades were a wholly, or even primarily, a positive, beneficial event, but there were clear economic, cultural and intellectual outcomes that moved the world towards a better place. And though certainly one invasion does not justify the next, there is that piece to consider as well.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I urge academics, atheists and and other "progressives" to eradicate Billy Graham from American and world history.

How sweet THAT'D be Exclamation

Otherwise, yer in *absurdist* mode again.

A word in itself is harmless. When it becomes the appellation by which we define the perpetrators of a horribly evil geo-political era, then yeah....Valpo can do exactly what they want.

ClayK wrote:

To be clear, I am not arguing that the Crusades were a wholly, or even primarily, a positive, beneficial event, but there were clear economic, cultural and intellectual outcomes that moved the world towards a better place. And though certainly one invasion does not justify the next, there is that piece to consider as well.

There were lots of positives that came from WW2, right? Innovations in military technology, etc., etc. Ask the citizens of Hiroshima.

PostPosted: 08/11/21 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now introducing the Valparaiso Beacons!!

https://www.wane.com/news/indiana/valparaiso-u-announces-beacons-as-schools-new-team-name/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 08/11/21 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings here. I work at a university whose mascot is "Crusaders". Although we do use a knight as a reference, the name is more closely tied to the other uses of the word Crusade that are mentioned here. I'm not enthusiastic about the pressure to change things that are mostly well intentioned.

Having said that, I've actually been one of the ones pushing--very quietly--that we should change our mascot. Primarily, I would change it because of our student travel. We take students all over the world doing projects for business, nursing, education. The name Crusader borders on being a cuss word in some of those areas. I don't think the tradition is worth the risk.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/11/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it me or does it seem like every time a team name change happens, the new name is always some lame ass sounding name?
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/11/21 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Is it me or does it seem like every time a team name change happens, the new name is always some lame ass sounding name?

Trying to find a name that hopefully no one can find the least bit offensive in any way.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/11/21 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Trying to find a name that hopefully no one can find the least bit offensive in any way.

Well, *I* personally think "Boilermakers" oughtta be slashed....boilers are potentially dangerous things, no? ( Razz Laughing Laughing ) Of course, the "Fighting Irish", depicted by a height-challenged person, might be the next target.

There are a lot of them, actually....Cardinal, Ducks, Blue Hose, Billikens.....I think the "Beacons" aren't too bad, considering their logic.

Last edited by Howee on 08/11/21 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 08/11/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Over 58 years, Graham conducted 417 evangelistic rallies in 187 countries on six continents. He, and his obviously white supremacist media lackeys, called these events CRUSADES.

The more than 200,000 million who attended Billy Graham Crusades were obviously aligned with the KKK, particularly the 3.2 million who attended the 1973 crusade in South Korea.

Are there even one trillion people on earth?

And if Valpariso's mascot was meant to represent Graham then there should be lots more $$$$$ on the image.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/11/21 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Now, THERE'S an odd little factoid (underlined above) that I missed earlier. I can't imagine how one might corroborate that, and why on God's Green Earth might that many want to go to Korea??

PostPosted: 08/12/21 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Now, THERE'S an odd little factoid (underlined above) that I missed earlier. I can't imagine how one might corroborate that, and why on God's Green Earth might that many want to go to Korea??

I think your sarcasm alert button is borked

Howee

PostPosted: 08/12/21 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Howee wrote:

I think your sarcasm alert button is borked

Oh. Well, then....never mind. Razz Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: