RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Speaking of cover songs, which ones do you hate?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24duzitall

PostPosted: 12/18/08 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballequalslife wrote:
Wow. Seriously? I so didn't know that. Shocked

I still have yet to hear a version that comes to close to hers, however.

that is true. his has a much more "country" spin on it. you can hear it here http://www.myspace.com/keithwhitley

PostPosted: 12/19/08 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anything touched by Gloria Estefan was a disgrace. You don't cover a Vickie Sue Robinson tune. You need to just stay off dat block, Mija. Seriously. She did another cover she should have never touched but I've forgotten it. Who let her escape the airport lounge circuit?

Anyway. Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/27/12 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Debbie Boone's soulless remake of "You Light Up My Life"

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CL7xrYWReis?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Kasey Cisyk's original, more understated version is much superior

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uSxY3YBkdiA?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/27/12 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aerosmith's Come Together
Elvis' Houndog
Stones' Time Is on My Side (Irma Thomas' cover was sort of the original)
ANY COVER BY BOLTON. He should be jailed and fined $2mill for that worthless, disgusting remake LP he did. What a farking disgrace.
Devo's Satisfaction
Kylie Minogue's "Loco-Motion".
There is a current TV ad which uses The Beatles' "In My Life". Puke.
Does the Bleach Boys' rip-off of Chuck Berry's Sweet Little Sixteen, renamed Surfin' USA, count?!

PostPosted: 12/27/12 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Instead of aiming at a certain song, I'm going for an entire artist: Linda Ronstadt!

Her versions of classic rock songs by Buddy Holly, Motown, Roy Orbison, et al, are lame. There is no angst, just blandness!

But what takes the cake is her entire album of punk/new-wave songs: "Mad Love" (1980).

Linda is at her best singing mellow pop and country tunes, but as a rock singer...UGH! Mad

Then in 1983, upon the release of her first 1940's-era "torch song" album, "What's New", she announced that she was not going to sing rock songs anymore. And I remember thinking, "Finally! Good Riddance! Rock and Roll will be fine without her!" And I still feel that way.

The so-called "First Lady Of Rock" should've gone to Janis Joplin, not Linda.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/12 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Instead of aiming at a certain song, I'm going for an entire artist: Linda Ronstadt!

Her versions of classic rock songs by Buddy Holly, Motown, Roy Orbison, et al, are lame. There is no angst, just blandness!

I generally agree, but I do like her cover of When Will I Be Loved? better than than the Everly Brothers original.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/27/12 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

I generally agree, but I do like her cover of When Will I Be Loved? better than than the Everly Brothers original.

Me, too.

She was kinda hot back in the day when we saw her at Tanglewood...77? She had a decent brunette Elly May Clampett look back then- cutoffs and a shirt tied up at the midriff.

PostPosted: 12/27/12 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

But what takes the cake is her entire album of punk/new-wave songs: "Mad Love" (1980).

Linda is at her best singing mellow pop and country tunes, but as a rock singer...UGH! Mad

Then in 1983, upon the release of her first 1940's-era "torch song" album, "What's New", she announced that she was not going to sing rock songs anymore. And I remember thinking, "Finally! Good Riddance! Rock and Roll will be fine without her!" And I still feel that way.

The so-called "First Lady Of Rock" should've gone to Janis Joplin, not Linda.

I liked mad love. Especially the Cretones songs

mb1

PostPosted: 12/27/12 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballequalslife wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
But the Hawaiian version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" ....just stop...really just stop..

Shocked I love that version! I think it's great!

Every year towards the end of the year (I expect them to start any day), a local news station does like two-minute commericals of the big stories of the year. They do one for the sports stories, the overall big stories, and the inspirational stories. A few years ago they put that version on their inspirational stories commerical and I thought it was great.

FWIW, I also like the Hawaiian version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow".

We should start a "Cover Songs We Like" thread...

ie. Shinedown...Simple Man
Five Finger DeathPunch...Bad Company

many versions of "hallelujah", "feeling good", etcetera

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/12 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
We should start a "Cover Songs We Like" thread...

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=25854

PostPosted: 12/28/12 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't agree with some of these...mainly 10,000 Maniacs cover of Because the Night, which just comes out cleaner than Smith to me, but 10,000 maniacs version is also the version I remember. And mind you that actually was a Springsteen penned song.

Anyway Fuel's cover of Elton John's Daniel...they obviously didn't get the meaning fully of the song...seemed to be singing it to be singing it...also known as Karaoke

Disturbed's cover of Land of Confusion sounded good on paper but just fell flat and near karaoke territory sadly (and they do some VERY good covers)

I know it was half mockery, but Limp Bizkit's cover of George Michael's Faith.

And then there's THIS bastardization Shocked no one brought it up yet:

Seriously a loud, Hoarse rocker doing album after album of songs designed for high quality singers...make...it...STOP!!!!!!

PostPosted: 10/01/13 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/1uaPs8sxqB0?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uaPs8sxqB0

is an endlessly annoying cover of a Trinidadian soca classic:

<embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Nds3_BAKtEs?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O27fagObxaM

PostPosted: 02/12/21 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ten years ago we were blessed/cursed with this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kfVsfOSbJY0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To mark the anniversary, Rebecca Black has released a new version that sounds like a 100 gecs reject...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iCFOcqsnc9Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 02/13/21 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know. There are good songs and there are bad songs. There are bad covers of good songs, good covers of bad songs. There are a few absolutely iconic songs (such as the Rolling Stones' Satisfaction) that artists should probably steer clear of, but even then there is an alternative recording by Otis Redding that I really like. There are artists like Michael Bolton that I don't like because no matter what they sing it sounds bland and uninteresting, but obviously some people like that. In the 70's we had Peter Lemongello who was even worse.

Linda Ronstadt did lots of covers and I almost always liked the results, even if they weren't necessarily as good as the original (When Will I Be Loved (Better than the Everly Bros, I Will Always Love You, Worse than Dolly Parton, as good as Whitney Houston).

Having said that, I always thought that Friday was an unobjectionable piece of drivel that just became so overplayed that it became annoying. So nice to know that it could be redone in a way that it is annoying right from the start.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 02/13/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tori Amos pathetic attempt at Smells Like Teen Spirit----and whoever took a hit to the head and decided it was a good idea to make it a dance song for cheerleaders.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: