RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seton Hall @ #2 Connecticut - 2/10/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/09/21 10:47 pm    ::: Seton Hall @ #2 Connecticut - 2/10/21 Reply Reply with quote

Storrs, CT - 6:30 PM ET
TV: SNY (Allen Bestwick, Meg Culmo)

Video stream:
http://stream.nbcsports.com/rsn/sny (tvpli)
https://www.foxsports.com/live/ (tvpli)

Audio:
https://listen.tunein.com/connecticutwbbschedule

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=conn

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/10/21 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game will, of course, feature one of the greatest three-point shooters in the land.

Scouted by Geno in the seventh grade and offered not long after that, a USAB medalist, a great pick and roller with Aubrey Griffin, a BEC Player of the Week, this arc-swishing guard is 10th in the country in 3pt attempts, at 8.6 pg, and is 4th in 3pt shots made, at 3.9 pg. In one blazing three-game stretch she made 20 of 30 three-point shots. Her 3FG% has dropped a little recently to 45%.

This three-point ace is the peripatetic Andra Espinoza-Hunter:

Here is a chart of the areas of the floor from which she prefers to shoot:

And here is a video of how she can avoid defenses with step-back moves, fakes, and ambidextrous drives. How will UConn stop her?

<iframe width="728" height="410" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zvSCfSqKNy8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some data and photos courtesy of the excellent article on AEH by Heaven Hill in the Her Hoop Stats newsletter.
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/10/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hitting a bit of a letdown after the big win on Monday. Paige needs to get going.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/10/21 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a dopey offense. ONO constantly out by the arc, hoisting, but in any event no rebounders ever under the basket. ONO, GET ON THE LOW BLOCK -- you're 6" bigger than any defender.

Why doesn't Geno start Edwards? These slow starts are debilitating.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/10/21 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally, the best lineup: PB, ONO, AE, AG and Williams or Westbrook. ONO and 4 guards who can't rebound and are inconsistent shooters doesn't cut it. It presents no outside or inside game.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/10/21 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odds are UConn will win, but the Pirates deserve to based on the first half.

Muhl is improved and I like her, but I'm not sold on her as a starter. She's not a scoring or rebounding threat, and others can get assists in her absence -- namely Bueckers, who can both assist better and score better when she's controlling the ball instead of running/cutting but rarely getting the ball in scoring position.
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/10/21 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd forgotten about Park-Lane. She didn't shoot well here, but is fun to watch. Overall however, the game is toward the extreme end of ugly. UConn with 5 assists and 13 TOs. ouch.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 02/10/21 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ono should never be allowed to shoot from outside the paint in the 1st quarter. I am sick and tired of watching her play directly into the defensive strategy at the start of every g.d. game.

Based upon the fact that we've seen this type of start before, I'm not playing the "letdown after big win" card.

Young teams.... Rolling Eyes

Shades

PostPosted: 02/10/21 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

27-26 SHU end of half

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/10/21 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Truly ugly by UConn. Put in Saylor for Williams, who can't even feel steel.
Speebs56

PostPosted: 02/10/21 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What in the hell is up with UConn tonight? Williams can't even catch iron, airballs all over the place, traveling....jesus.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/10/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really appreciate Tony's attempt to build a team in his image, and it's nice to see the vertically challenged get a chance in college basketball, but maybe he should be less literal and go get a &^^&**(ing center? If I had to see one more offensive rebound and putback from UConn I was going to scream. Actually, I did. Repeatedly.

Also I swear to Arceus if in the near future Lauren Park-Lane doesn't find a shot that isn't either "desperate floater against three defenders in the lane" or "three-pointer that falls short" I will not be responsible for my actions.

ALSO GODDAMN IT TONY PUT YOUR GODDAMN MASK ON DO YOU REALLY WANT PEOPLE TO GET THE RONA WHEN YOU HAVE ALREADY HAD THE GODDAMN RONA

PostPosted: 02/10/21 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found myself thinking “this might be my favorite lineup” ..with Nika, Paige, Evina, Aubrey, Aaliyah in..

Oh..none of the juniors. ONO picked it up in the second half, but it goes back to..the three freshman need to be in..then put in Evina/Aubrey/CWill/Ono..depending on what works.

This team shouldn’t have needed Paige to take over the scoring load this game, but they did. And it just goes back to “figure out what works”..the three freshman work.

But it puts Geno in a spot..who is traditionally loyal to juniors and seniors, but shouldn’t be..

PostPosted: 02/10/21 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Truly ugly by UConn. Put in Saylor for Williams, who can't even feel steel.

Makes one wonder whether she has a problem of sorts. Don't want to speculate the possibilities but I've never seen a player of her ilk and history shoot so erratically.

Like you've mentioned, she's not even hitting metal or glass.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/10/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I found myself thinking “this might be my favorite lineup” ..with Nika, Paige, Evina, Aubrey, Aaliyah in..

Oh..none of the juniors. ONO picked it up in the second half, but it goes back to..the three freshman need to be in..then put in Evina/Aubrey/CWill/Ono..depending on what works.

This team shouldn’t have needed Paige to take over the scoring load this game, but they did. And it just goes back to “figure out what works”..the three freshman work.

But it puts Geno in a spot..who is traditionally loyal to juniors and seniors, but shouldn’t be..

They need a 3 point sharp shooter out there to open things up and help Paige etal out, but they don't have one, at least one not yet ready to play. Williams is fried.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/11/21 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i truly cannot stand when CW is in the game anymore.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/11/21 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
i truly cannot stand when CW is in the game anymore.

It's really tough to watch, because she is such a great kid, but something isn't clicking, and I don't think it's a lack of talent, because she has it. She has a few problems, one being in UCONN's offense, guard have to have 3 things, which none of them are her strengths:

1. Smarts
2. Shooter
3. Passer

I've never seen a guard of her caliber be under 60% from the FT line, but here we are. That, to me, is between the ears.

Christyn flourishes in an up-tempo game, or against a defense that plays man-to-man. Because of our lack of outside shooting, teams camp in a zone and she is literally lost trying to play against because of points 1, 2, & 3 above.

Frankly, she's in the wrong system

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/11/21 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the frustrating part of it is Geno keeps her out there more than he should... these days, it seems, she is more of a liability than an asset.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/12/21 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
the frustrating part of it is Geno keeps her out there more than he should... these days, it seems, she is more of a liability than an asset.

Case in point, DePaul plays an up-tempo system and didn't want to make a half court game out of it. The game was played at a good pace and Christyn had 29 points as a result. Paige was good and the catalyst, but CW was a perfect Robin to her Batjman.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: