Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/09/21 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
Chicago is the most logical landing spot for Natasha Howard. It's close to home for her. They're a contender who can reasonably believe they are a good post player from winning a championship. They actually have what the Storm are looking for. If Seattle believes Hughes can get DeShields' head screwed on straight then it makes perfect sense.

Shocked You really think they'd give up DeShields for Howard, or thereabouts? I mean, I would definitely do that trade at this point. But I also don't see how that would work out cap-wise on either end, even if Chicago had to include someone like Dolson.

to make the money work Seattle might also have to take back Dolson

I had Copper and Hebard as another option maybe add in a pick 8 and 11 swap if that helps

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/09/21 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Chicago is the most logical landing spot for Natasha Howard. It's close to home for her. They're a contender who can reasonably believe they are a good post player from winning a championship. They actually have what the Storm are looking for. If Seattle believes Hughes can get DeShields' head screwed on straight then it makes perfect sense.

And Seattle's desperate for the #16 pick in this hypothetical scenario?

PostPosted: 02/09/21 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

How would that even work financially for the Sky?

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

no Chicago would need it because after taking on Howards max deal they probably can't afford anyone else.

say it is Deshields and Seattle has to take Dolson back to make the money work for Howard

you get

Sloot, Quigley, Copper, Howard, Parker
#8, Williams, #16, Stevens, Mavunga, Hebard

Bird, Loyd, Deshields, Dupree, Stewart
Canada, Prince, #11 or Laksa, Magbegor, Russell, Dolson
(Seattle probably has to cut Tuck to make it work)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

no Chicago would need it because after taking on Howards max deal they probably can't afford anyone else.

say it is Deshields and Seattle has to take Dolson back to make the money work for Howard

you get

And again, in that case there's no need to make this random trade two months before the draft. There are plenty of players kicking around who are available at the minimum. You only really need to do this now if you needed that piece to complete the other trade.

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Unless DeShields is demanding a trade, I’m just struggling to understand how she keeps ending up in these.

Seattle literally has no leverage. Wade would have to be drunk to even entertain this. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Unless DeShields is demanding a trade, I’m just struggling to understand how she keeps ending up in these.

Seattle literally has no leverage. Wade would have to be drunk to even entertain this. Laughing

My less dramatic offer is Copper and Hebard pretty much accomplishes the same goals

I guess the idea is that with Deshields, Copper and Williams you have enough good SF that you could sacrifice Deshields to add Howard to Parker upfront

yes an argument can be made that Chicago is a contender as is, but you can also argue that a Howard/Parker front-court is probably the best front-court Chicago has had since EDD/Fowles and that front-court teamed up with Sloot, Quigley, whoever is left between Deshields/Copper/Williams and whoever is left between Stevens/Dolson/Hebard and Mavunga make Chicago a better team.

Sparksfan

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago has to get another defensive player to play along side Parker Stevens is a great choice but with her injury history you can't really take that chance. You can't pass up the chance to have a Parker and Howard front court no matter who you have to part ways with

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

you get

And again, in that case there's no need to make this random trade two months before the draft. There are plenty of players kicking around who are available at the minimum. You only really need to do this now if you needed that piece to complete the other trade.

but it has already led to a half a page of more interesting speculation than if I didn't say it.

Why does everyone take everything so seriously, just trying to spice up the off season

fine Chicago realized Dallas had way too many picks and decided to add a second round pick in good range to take a look at another rookie in camp this year.

That is the real reason they made the trade, practical and boring.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Why does everyone take everything so seriously, just trying to spice up the off season

When the sharks smell blood in the water...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/PfHrNe1cSKAjC" width="240" height="135" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Randy

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

but it has already led to a half a page of more interesting speculation than if I didn't say it.

I love it. Solid Gold J-Spoon. You've done these people a huge favor by giving them something to think about. Very Happy

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

fine Chicago realized Dallas had way too many picks and decided to add a second round pick in good range to take a look at another rookie in camp this year.

Got to have thick skin if you’re going to do trade ideas of other teams. Laughing

But I do apologize if I came off harsh, definitely not my intention.

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

She left at mid-season last year and has a history of team-jumping. It's not unreasonable to think she could be moved.

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Got to have thick skin if you’re going to do trade ideas of other teams. Laughing

It wasn't you It really wasn't anyone

and you are correct about needing a thicker skin

I am certainly not an expert and I do enjoy making trades and mocks and comments that are open to dissection

but I do sometimes get frustrated when the more fanciful element of my comments get derailed by someone else differing view on the content.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/09/21 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
She left at mid-season last year.

Due to injuries..

pilight wrote:
And has a history of team-jumping. It's not unreasonable to think she could be moved.

Now this I could understand as a reason.

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/09/21 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

It wasn't you It really wasn't anyone

and you are correct about needing a thicker skin

I am certainly not an expert and I do enjoy making trades and mocks and comments that are open to dissection

but I do sometimes get frustrated when the more fanciful element of my comments get derailed by someone else differing view on the content.

Good, now give me some dap. 👊🏾

PostPosted: 02/09/21 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great video of a breakdown of Chicago free agency moves . If you have a second you should take a look I enjoyed it at least. Talks about new players and players that have left including the GWH & Gojiraaaa

https://youtu.be/uRN99o1KSOM

PostPosted: 02/10/21 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

But why would Howard do that? It still doesnt change her playing situation. She still wouldnt be the number 1 option and that is why people are thinking that she wants out of Seattle. I doubt that Candace is going to retire after this year..
The Sky's line-up is pretty similar to the Storms. Both have star/franchise players in Parker and Stewie, SG's that need touches in Loyd and Allie, fantastic pass first PG's. Her role wouldnt be bigger with the Sky?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 02/11/21 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been wanting to analyze (really, just list) the horrible results of Sky draft picks since 2013 (my first year as an STH) after reflecting on how most aren't even in the league anymore or barely lasted with the team. In some cases, they were roundly criticized as wasted picks that skipped players who would have met the team's needs better.

I think the results don't warrant much commentary. Y'all know what has happened!

2013: EDD, - , Brooklyn Pope
2014: Markeisha Gatling, Gennifer Brandon, Jamierra Faulkner Crying or Very sad
2015: Cheyenne Parker, Betnijah Laney, Aleighsa Welch
2016: Imani Boyette, - , Jordan Jones
2017: Alaina Coates, Tori Jankoska, Chantel Osahor (got Keisha Hampton), Makayla Epps
2018: Diamond DeShields, Gabby Williams, Amarah Coleman
2019: Katie Lou Samuelson, Chloe Jackson, Maria Conde
2020: Ruthy Hebard, Japreece Dean, Kiah Gillespie

This seems to be everyone; did I miss anyone?

Funny (or tragic) story: I attended the 2019 draft party. Since I don't follow college WBB, I listened to attendees' speculation of who to pick (and sort of remembered what RebKellians had said). The Sky videographer wanted to get a raucous reaction to the first pick announcement. He got one, but clearly not what he expected: a loud, shocked "WHAT?!???" Laughing

So will 2021, a weak draft as you are saying, yield much for us? Will it be an improvement over this minefield?

PostPosted: 02/17/21 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2021/2/17/22288039/azura-stevens-inks-one-year-extension-with-sky

Quote:
The Sky signed forward Azura Stevens to a one-year contract extension, the team announced Wednesday.

Stevens, who would’ve been a restricted free agent after this season, will make $140,000 guaranteed in 2022

I’m guessing Wade talked to all the 2018 draft class and Stevens was the only one to bite on a lower offer ahead of time.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/17/21 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I’m guessing Wade talked to all the 2018 draft class and Stevens was the only one to bite on a lower offer ahead of time.

Even before her season-ending injury last season, she was averaging 11.5 PPG on 50% shooting and not even 6 RPG. Considering her statistical output and her injury history, the terms of the extension seem about right to me.

And I would think a Gabby Williams extension is next. She is certainly not as productive, but she has at least stayed healthy this whole time – unlike some of her former UConn teammates on the team (and in the League)...

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/07/21 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephanie Mavunga has been waived.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/07/21 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That explains trading for the 2nd round pick (not that the two things are related)

Now they can go post with one pick and back up PG with the other

how about Walker at 8 and Gondrezick at 16

Sloot/Gondrezick
Copper/Quigley
Deshields/Williams
Stevens/Hebard/Walker
Parker/Dolson

(I also try to mess around with the starters and came up with this one which seems more modern WNBA style)

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/07/21 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Stephanie Mavunga has been waived.

I should note, this happened on the same day that Astou Ndour cleared waivers... 👀

Shades

PostPosted: 03/08/21 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
That explains trading for the 2nd round pick (not that the two things are related)

Now they can go post with one pick and back up PG with the other

how about Walker at 8 and Gondrezick at 16

Sloot/Gondrezick
Copper/Quigley
Deshields/Williams
Stevens/Hebard/Walker
Parker/Dolson

(I also try to mess around with the starters and came up with this one which seems more modern WNBA style)

I agree it’s probably some strategy like that. The thing about Wade is he probably doesn’t have an aversion to small PG’s, since he was a small PG himself. Could one of the perceived Top 2 PG’s (Evans or McDonald) be available at #8? I think it’s very possible considering they both have been underwhelming lately and when you consider where Dangerfield went last year. Others like Kiana Williams and Slocum have been getting performance upticks in their stock, but maybe those two can be gotten with 16. Hard to say how Wade ranks the PG’s in this class, since everyone has their own perspective.
He’ll probably have a list of guards ranked and a list of posts ranked and maybe an overall ranking between the two groups. Do you figure Walker will be the best player available at #8? I haven’t been as high on Walker as you and Root, probably because Alabama is not a very interesting team to watch compared to others. My guess is a better choice will be available at #8. I think Wade might be targeting a cheap replacement for Dolson next season if he can’t unload her this season, so true bigs like Thompson or Staiti might be good choices for that possibly available at #16.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 9 of 20

Jump to: