Atlanta Dream 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/03/21 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
You want to get paid? Go to Atlanta.

Passing out money like monopoly.

Atlanta's lucky the contracts of EWill & Hayes are (both somehow) still on the old max.

pilight wrote:
If I were Atlanta I'd be putting the full court press on Meesseman. A lineup of Carter/Hayes/Meesseman/Parker/E Williams isn't a championship team but it would cause problems for opponents in a lot of different ways.

I wish the Dream had gone on full-rebuild mode once McCoughtry left. EWill, CWill, Hayes, Billings, and Stricklen are all set to become free agents after 2021. No matter what happens this season, it seems the team will still sort of have to soft-reset anyway and risk entering the same limbo/purgatory status that Indiana's stuck in (maybe not as severe, but still).

Not too late to trade away an EWill or a Hayes while they're still cheap for a younger player or two with a longer contract. Hope it happens.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/04/21 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If I were Atlanta I'd be putting the full court press on Meesseman.

Welp, they put the full court press on the other Mystics PF.

I would assume Atlanta isn’t done?

PostPosted: 02/04/21 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

Signing Tianna Hawkins has to make either EWill or Billings expendable now, right? Not enough minutes for EWill, Billings, Parker, Hawkins, and Brown in the post – unless they dreadfully plan to play Hawkins damn near exclusively at the 3? Confused

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/04/21 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they need to trade one of those posts. They're overstocked with mediocre posts.
EWill to NY for a wing or two?

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/04/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
they need to trade one of those posts. They're overstocked with mediocre posts.
EWill to NY for a wing or two?

Would that mean we’d have to watch EWill hoist up 3s? Yikes. I could see her getting shipped to Dallas or perhaps back to Connecticut. For what? Idk.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/04/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't see EWill, Billings or Brown fitting Hopkins's style of play. The two posts that Atlanta just signed -- Parker and Hawkins -- are much better suited. In terms of dealing with Atlanta, NY would probably be more interested in trading for the #3 pick or even wait for Brittany Brewer to get cut. She's a post who does shoot 3s, so they could always take a flyer on her.

PostPosted: 02/04/21 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EWill to Dallas for:

Thornton and #7
KLS and #7

Because ‘22 first round picks are too valuable... throw in a ‘22 second round pick

PostPosted: 02/04/21 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Yeah, I don't see EWill, Billings or Brown fitting Hopkins's style of play. The two posts that Atlanta just signed -- Parker and Hawkins -- are much better suited. In terms of dealing with Atlanta, NY would probably be more interested in trading for the #3 pick or even wait for Brittany Brewer to get cut. She's a post who does shoot 3s, so they could always take a flyer on her.

You want Bruiser to shoot threes?

New York has nothing to trade for the #3, unless they're looking to trade down from #1.

PostPosted: 02/04/21 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

Signing Tianna Hawkins has to make either EWill or Billings expendable now, right? Not enough minutes for EWill, Billings, Parker, Hawkins, and Brown in the post – unless they dreadfully plan to play Hawkins damn near exclusively at the 3? Confused

Problem is that Hawkins, Parker and Billings are all more PF s. Williams is really a 5 so if you trade her away you only have K Brown as your true 5. And who knows in what shape she will come to camp Rolling Eyes Glory will def not be re-signed. Wonder where she will end up. Liberty? Sun? Fever?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 02/04/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Billings is surely the most expendable of the bunch

PostPosted: 02/04/21 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

She shot them in college.

pilight wrote:

New York has nothing to trade for the #3, unless they're looking to trade down from #1.

Says the guy who wants to take Didi Richards with the #3 pick. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/04/21 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yes, a senior she hit nine threes all season, shooting 24%.

Feel free to grab her for her perimeter skills.

PostPosted: 02/04/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:

pilight wrote:

Says the guy who wants to take Didi Richards with the #3 pick. Laughing

I'm was polite to bring that up, but thanks for doing so. Maybe his assessment of Billings vs. Williams is equally valid. Very Happy With Parker and Hawkins they don't need a 5 to have any offensive skills (neither Billings or Williams have any) just be a good rebounder. Billings grabs a lot more boards per minute than Williams. Williams defense is overrated and she will never get better. Her career year was 2016 - most seasons she's pretty worthless until sometime in July.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/04/21 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

Problem is that Hawkins, Parker and Billings are all more PFs. Williams is really a 5 so if you trade her away you only have K Brown as your true 5. And who knows in what shape she will come to camp Rolling Eyes

I actually think Parker is more of a 5 than a 4 these days. IIRC the only time she was really the 4 with Chicago was when she was playing alongside Dolson – otherwise Parker seemed to back Dolson up most of the time. I like the idea of Parker starting at the 5 for Atlanta. She has enough height & meat on her bones to handle the physicality imo.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/04/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yes, a senior she hit nine threes all season, shooting 24%.

Feel free to grab her for her perimeter skills.

The Texas Tech website neglects to show 2018-19 in her career summary, but Brewer shot 3s at a 34-99 .343 clip as a junior. You have to change the year in the "Season" dropdown to see it. Besides, the keyword here is "free." I like free stuff. Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/04/21 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

I think any system that insists their 5 shoot threes is in trouble. I want a 5 who plays close enough to the basket to get me some rebounds. It's nice if they have 12' range, but if everyone else can shoot threes that is a great balance.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/04/21 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I think any system that insists their 5 shoot threes is in trouble. I want a 5 who plays close enough to the basket to get me some rebounds. It's nice if they have 12' range, but if everyone else can shoot threes that is a great balance.

NY had 5 chances to draft Brewer last year with pick 9, 10, 12, 13 or 15 we passed on all 5 and took Shook and 4 6/6' 1" foot wings instead so I am not sure NY is all that interested in Brewer

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/04/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the Hawkins pick up

Yes they are a little crowded up front now but most teams that go 12 deep would like to have five viable posts (I like E. Will) but on a good team she might be better off as a first post off the bench type, and when the rotation gets shortened there will still be minutes for who they really want on the floor. I see Hawkins as taking a big step forward in a bigger role and Atl has the luxury to try it because if it doesn't work they have enough other talent to cover for that mistake if it doesn't work out.

OTOH onless they bring back R. Montgomery and she is rejuvenated they could probably they are thin enough at guard to swap a big for a guard or a pick to help improve the back-court

Carter/Dietrick or Cazorla*
C. Williams/pick #3 (Guiarantes, Westbrook, McDonald, Evans or Rchards)
Hayes/Strickland
Hawkins/Billings
Parker/E. Will/Brown or Brewer

*keep both, trade for a 2nd guard (pick or player), bring back Montgomery

Randy

PostPosted: 02/04/21 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

OTOH onless they bring back R. Montgomery and she is rejuvenated they could probably they are thin enough at guard to swap a big for a guard or a pick to help improve the back-court

She made a comment in the local press saying it doesn't look like she will be back with the Dream a while back. At the time it seemed to be the Dream' weren't interested. Renee seems to have found a home being TV analyst for the Hawks games (pre, post and hafltime.) She can only negotiate with the Dream so they may only offer the vet min.

There is also the whole deal with Loeffler still being an owner.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/04/21 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever happened to this team being sold imminently?

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/04/21 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

NY had 5 chances to draft Brewer last year with pick 9, 10, 12, 13 or 15 we passed on all 5 and took Shook and 4 6/6' 1" foot wings instead so I am not sure NY is all that interested in Brewer

Not saying that they are. Just suggesting that picking up Brewer for a free, riskless look is more likely than trading for EWill, Billings, and Brown.

PostPosted: 02/04/21 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atl could probably just sign Colson if they are looking for a back up PG with some experience
Also not a PG but Conn might be pricing themselves out of B. Holmes if Atl wants to give her another look
E. Carson or S. Rodgers could also be a good veteran presence off the bench

E. Will for pick #7 (maybe even try for pick 5 in this draft)*Dallas gets a reliable big Atl can draft big wing Davis at 3 and one of Westbrook or Richards at 7 for the back up PG role, That would be a great draft for this team).
E. Will for Jefferson (Atl might have to go with 11 but if she is healthy and returns to form she could be a good fit though does make them small at the 1/2).(I suggest the same trade for Harris but I don't think Dallas goes for it unless VJ really likes Jefferson? they do have some history. between Mabrey, Harris, Jefferson and sometimes Arike Dallas has plenty of PG coverage)

Billings to LA for pick 10? (Westbrook, Richards, Slocum)

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/04/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Not saying that they are. Just suggesting that picking up Brewer for a free, riskless look is more likely than trading for EWill, Billings, and Brown.

That is true

OTOH trading one of our wings for Brown while somewhat risky based on her play last season could be worth the risk as Brown is a legit big-big who still has potential or at least would give NY a true size option they aren't going to find any other way.

Brown for one of Odom, Walker or Willoughby (maybe even throwing in a 2nd round pick this year or next) might be something NY would have to think long and hard about. Atl needs another decent sized wing and has plenty of coverage at the Center spot with Parker, Williams and Brewer even after the trade.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/04/21 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

That is true

OTOH trading one of our wings for Brown while somewhat risky based on her play last season could be worth the risk as Brown is a legit big-big who still has potential or at least would give NY a true size option they aren't going to find any other way.

Brown for one of Odom, Walker or Willoughby (maybe even throwing in a 2nd round pick this year or next) might be something NY would have to think long and hard about. Atl needs another decent sized wing and has plenty of coverage at the Center spot with Parker, Williams and Brewer even after the trade.

Actually, I was a bit annoyed when Brown got traded last offseason because I thought she'd be a good target for the Liberty. At that point, I didn't know anything about Hopkins's philosophy. Now that I do, I don't see Brown fitting in on either end of the court even when she is in shape. She's not built for a running offensive system, and she'd struggle in an actively switching defense. On the other hand, all four post prospects being discussed -- Collier, Mack, Kuier, and Austin are very mobile North-South as well as laterally. That's why I'm beginning to think getting a second high pick is the only way to add two suitable posts for Hopkins's systems.

PostPosted: 02/09/21 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Renee Montgomery retires

https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/09/renee-montgomery-retires-from-wnba-after-11-seasons-ready-to-move-on/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 6 of 23

Jump to: