Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/29/21 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Championship or bust. That is my perspective of the 2021 Sky. Since the the Sky made a commitment to the OTHER Parker they need to push all the chips to the middle of the table. If they don't win the championship this year then the acquisition of LA Parker is a bust. Evil or Very Mad

Ok, don't hate me Sky fans, but two things:

1. Candace Parker doesn't solve the biggest hurdle to a 2021 championship....and that's the perimeter defense of the VanDerQuigs in a 5 game series.

2. To me, at least from what I see on social media, the Sky have some of the best chemistry of any team in the W. What does adding Parker, who doesn't exactly have the best reputation as being a good teammate or frankly, caring(in spurts), do to the locker room climate? I mean, allllll that talent in LA the past 6 years and they've won one championship....on a shot that shouldn't have counted.

Excellent point about the defense, because despite the award, Candace is defensive downgrade from Cheyenne (best defender on the team according to Her Hoop Stats).

Candace will be an upgrade offensively, but the Sky were already a top tier offensive team, so it's clear what the plan is: You may score 86 a game, but we're getting 90.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Championship or bust. That is my perspective of the 2021 Sky. Since the the Sky made a commitment to the OTHER Parker they need to push all the chips to the middle of the table. If they don't win the championship this year then the acquisition of LA Parker is a bust. Evil or Very Mad

Ok, don't hate me Sky fans, but two things:

1. Candace Parker doesn't solve the biggest hurdle to a 2021 championship....and that's the perimeter defense of the VanDerQuigs in a 5 game series.

2. To me, at least from what I see on social media, the Sky have some of the best chemistry of any team in the W. What does adding Parker, who doesn't exactly have the best reputation as being a good teammate or frankly, caring(in spurts), do to the locker room climate? I mean, allllll that talent in LA the past 6 years and they've won one championship....on a shot that shouldn't have counted.

Excellent point about the defense, because despite the award, Candace is defensive downgrade from Cheyenne (best defender on the team according to Her Hoop Stats).

Candace will be an upgrade offensively, but the Sky were already a top tier offensive team, so it's clear what the plan is: You may score 86 a game, but we're getting 90.

When you settle in for years with a starting backcourt of Quigley and Vandersloot, you clearly have a philosophy that doesn't prioritize defense.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/29/21 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

If you're going to use the HHS stats to pick Cheyenne Parker out as Chicago's best defender, shouldn't you use the same stats that pick out Candace Parker as one of the league's elite defenders for many, many years? The advanced defensive stats love Candace practically every year for the last decade. And while I thought the DPotY award was a nonsense, I think Candace is an upgrade over Cheyenne for what they need behind Vandersloot/Quigley. And one of the best ways to 'solve' a weak defensive backcourt is to put a significant presence in the paint behind them. Shaq made a lot of mediocre defenders a lot of money doing that, back in the day.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

If you're going to use the HHS stats to pick Cheyenne Parker out as Chicago's best defender, shouldn't you use the same stats that pick out Candace Parker as one of the league's elite defenders for many, many years? The advanced defensive stats love Candace practically every year for the last decade. And while I thought the DPotY award was a nonsense, I think Candace is an upgrade over Cheyenne for what they need behind Vandersloot/Quigley. And one of the best ways to 'solve' a weak defensive backcourt is to put a significant presence in the paint behind them. Shaq made a lot of mediocre defenders a lot of money doing that, back in the day.

Good point ... so really, I'd say then that defense is pretty opaque to stats, and my eye test prefers Cheyenne to Candance, if only because of age and health.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago is in win now mode. Cheyenne is a great young talent but was she really gonna lead Chicago to a Championship? Chicago did what most teams do this was their chance to bring in a super star who may not still be in the prime but can get the job done and yes Parker only has one Championship but look at those teams she had to carry in her 13 years in LA this Chicago squad by far is the best team Parker has ever had to utilize her skill set. Is Candace Parker the greatest defender no shes not but having her in the paint will make teams think twice before coming in the lane

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/29/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CP3's main focus will probably be on defense and rebounding, which are two things she knows how to do. The good thing though, is that she'll be able to take possessions off on offense and conserve her energy on that end of the floor given how balanced the Sky already are on that end of the floor. They don't need 20 or even 15 PPG from her. They just need a consistent defensive leader, and I think she can do that better than Cheyenne Parker could've. If she's consistent on that end of the floor, that might be enough to push the Sky into legitimate contention. Everyone's gotta (get &) stay healthy, though.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/29/21 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
CP3's main focus will probably be on defense and rebounding, which are two things she knows how to do. The good thing though, is that she'll be able to take possessions off on offense and conserve her energy on that end of the floor given how balanced the Sky already are on that end of the floor. They don't need 20 or even 15 PPG from her. They just need a consistent defensive leader, and I think she can do that better than Cheyenne Parker could've. If she's consistent on that end of the floor, that might be enough to push the Sky into legitimate contention. Everyone's gotta (get &) stay healthy, though.

All true, but adding the best post passer in the history of the game to your team isn't exactly going to hurt the offense. Candace is a massive upgrade over Cheyenne in that regard.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

All true, but adding the best post passer in the history of the game to your team isn't exactly going to hurt the offense. Candace is a massive upgrade over Cheyenne in that regard.

The way Chicago team is set up and the 3 point shooting ability of Quigley and Vandersloot makes it hard for alot of teams to guard Parker and Chicago. Wade can almost use Parker as a decoy to bring a defender off Vandersloot or Quigley to get a wide open 3

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 01/29/21 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO, this is the perfect fit for everyone involved. Candace, even at 35 years old, is still a superstar talent and she showed that last season.

More than individual defense, I'll be curious to see if the Sky can deploy solid team defense on the perimeter.
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 01/29/21 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This last summer, Wasn’t it the last game before Azura got injured when the Sky played against Las Vegas and Azura pretty much stifled Aja Wilson with multiple blocks? The Sky were a much better team with Azura. Defensively, they could be quite a bit better with very mobile Posts? It’s be great to have a season where the Sky team has a real presence in the paint to support the guards. Pokey used to say that pound for pound Sloot was the best defender on the team.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/29/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
This last summer, Wasn’t it the last game before Azura got injured when the Sky played against Las Vegas and Azura pretty much stifled Aja Wilson with multiple blocks? The Sky were a much better team with Azura. Defensively, they could be quite a bit better with very mobile Posts? It’s be great to have a season where the Sky team has a real presence in the paint to support the guards. Pokey used to say that pound for pound Sloot was the best defender on the team.

The way she was getting cooked last year, Pokey must’ve been wearing a blindfold.

In Sloot’s defense, she does at least put some effort into it but it isn’t enough.

PostPosted: 01/30/21 5:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO its more their teamdefense and the combination of players that is not working well defensively. The combination of Sloot and Allie = lightweights at the guard position and then you have a center in Dolson who is big but not that great defensively. Its not a good mix. Put another athletic bigger guard or post in that line-up and things will really improve.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/30/21 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hoping after the 2018 Draft that we'd see a starting perimeter of Sloot-DeShields-Williams, since Williams is sort of the exact opposite to what Quigley brings to the team. Still hasn't happened, which I understand (kinda thought Quigley's shooting would fall off a cliff by now – good on her that it hasn't). But surely they didn't draft Williams in the goddamn lottery just so she could be a utility player off the bench. Will this finally be the year that they stick her in one position (the 3) like they should have from the get-go? Especially now that utility superstar Candace Parker is on the roster; no need for Williams to be the backup 4 or the backup PG (sometimes at the same time) anymore. Rolling Eyes

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/30/21 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If everyone is healthy I might try to shape the roster like this

Sloot/#8 (Evans, Westbrook, maybe Slocum if the others are gone)
Copper/Quigley
Deshields/Williams
Stevens/Hebard/Mavunga
Parker/Dolson

willtalk

PostPosted: 01/30/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker is still one of the best players in the league on both defense and offense- when she decides to play. Going to a new team might inspire her in that direction much like having her daughter with her in the bubble did this last season. Chicago will probably get her best this coming season because she has something to prove. I would not count on it though for the rest of her career.

PostPosted: 01/30/21 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Parker is still one of the best players in the league on both defense and offense- when she decides to play. Going to a new team might inspire her in that direction much like having her daughter with her in the bubble did this last season. Chicago will probably get her best this coming season because she has something to prove. I would not count on it though for the rest of her career.

Chicago will absolutely get Parker best on a nightly basis. Her biggest critic and the person she want's to impress most will be watching every night. Her father

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/30/21 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace Parker could be just the Spark the Sky need to win championship

https://chicago.suntimes.com/platform/amp/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2021/1/30/22250789/candace-parker-would-be-just-spark-sky-would-need-wnba-free-agent-wade-vandersloot-quigley-cheyenne

Quote:
It’s unclear what she’ll be paid, but Lelchitski said Parker’s decision to come to the Sky had nothing to do with money but rather winning a title as she nears the end of her illustrious career.

PostPosted: 02/01/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It does not matter who the Sky draft in 2021. If SD is still on the team it will continue to SOS. I might have to get a divorce a find something better. Atlanta Dream? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 02/01/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m curious whether Dolson will be a starter beside Parker, or a back up for Parker?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Sparksfan

PostPosted: 02/01/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I’m curious whether Dolson will be a starter beside Parker, or a back up for Parker?

As great as Parker is on defense you do not want her banging against those big bodies every night.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 02/01/21 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

As great as Parker is on defense you do not want her banging against those big bodies every night.

I truly hope not!

So, are we thinking:

Sloot/#8/an acquisition/ Is Colson out of the picture?
Quigley/Copper
Deshields/Williams
Parker/Stevens
Dolson/Hebard/Mavunga

?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/01/21 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless they give Bird a multi year deal, I think Bird retires after this year.

Am I the only one to think that Sloot would be a great fit in SEA after Bird retires? I’m not sure if Sloot is corable anymore, but if not, a Bonner type of deal (which I hate) could be done.

Assuming Quigley is part of a package deal (or maybe she can just sign on her own), it could be something like Sloot & Quigley for Loyd (who has strong Chicago ties) and maybe toss in Canada.

Not sure how the particulars would work out, but there’s something about Sloot going to SEA and Loyd going to CHI that just feels right.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/01/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker often preferred guarding the 5 in LA because it meant not having to chase mobile 4s around. She and Nneka often seemed to decide on their own which of the posts they wanted to take.

But yeah, it'll obviously vary depending on who she's out there with. Dolson obviously takes 5s, but with someone like Stevens it's probably Parker who ends up the 'center'.

PostPosted: 02/01/21 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Unless they give Bird a multi year deal, I think Bird retires after this year.

Am I the only one to think that Sloot would be a great fit in SEA after Bird retires? I’m not sure if Sloot is corable anymore, but if not, a Bonner type of deal (which I hate) could be done.

Assuming Quigley is part of a package deal (or maybe she can just sign on her own), it could be something like Sloot & Quigley for Loyd (who has strong Chicago ties) and maybe toss in Canada.

Not sure how the particulars would work out, but there’s something about Sloot going to SEA and Loyd going to CHI that just feels right.

I agree. OTOH Chicago is home for Quigles - so not as str8 forward as it seems on the outside. Also Loyd being younger is theoretically more valuable. Sloot is already 32 Shocked and Quigles turns 35 this year.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/01/21 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle, do you remember where they got married?

https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2018/12/30/18161134/wnba-chicago-sky-courtney-vandersloot-and-allie-quigley-tie-the-knot
Quote:
This weekend, the public silence surrounding Courtney Vandersloot and Allie Quigley’s romantic relationship was broken in the best way, as details (and photos!) emerged that #VanderQuigs were wed in Seattle — which is just north of Vandersloot’s hometown of Kent, Washington — on Thursday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: