RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Taurasi leaving Phoenix?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you believe this "update"?
Absolutely not!! Didn't believe this person's other "update" either! Whatta joke!
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
For the most part, no. Stuff may end up coming true anyway, but I don't think this update is legitimate
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
Not really sure...
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
I find it somewhat or even mostly true
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Yes, I believe 100% of what this person says!
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 24

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/30/21 5:33 pm    ::: Taurasi leaving Phoenix? Reply Reply with quote

Okay.
So.
The same person on IG that calls themselves a Mercury "whistle blower" who wrote those crazy things about why BG left the bubble (I know, I know – I understand why virtually no one believed them but I was willing to find it slightly plausible LMFAO) is back with an alleged update about the state of things. Beware: the original post here containing the "update" rambles on and on with a lot of syntax errors (bless their heart), so I chose to clean it up grammatically and somewhat structurally for a cleaner reading experience below:

Quote:
There really [hasn't] been anything to report, except for the Mercury sitting on their hands with BG. They want to keep her – not so much as a player, but only because she gets fans that are a part of the LGBTQ+ community to come to the games.

The latest update I have is from someone close to Diana Taurasi, who said that she is tired of BG's selfishness, laziness, and the fact that [Griner's] contract takes so much of the Merc's salary cap – and the fact that they will not part ways with [Griner]. Well, for the first time in her career, Diana's first choice of a team that she wants to play for isn't the Phoenix Mercury. She feels as if the team's championship days are behind them – [citing] her relationship with BG and the front office, and especially with their cap space they have left. And she wants the supermax, but then there wouldn't be much left for them to get other players, and she wants another ring before she retire[s].

I'm hearing her and Sue Bird are texting about teaming up in Seattle on the Storm. Dee knows she would have to take less money, but is willing to do so. She wants to be on the same team as [Sue] one last time, [citing] her and Penny's relationship with Sue and her [fiancée] Megan Rapinoe. Stewie and [Jewell Loyd] being on the team is appealing as well, plus nicer weather...

Another 2 teams I'm hearing [have] interest in [Taurasi is] the Los Angeles Sparks and the Las Vegas Aces. LA is close to home and she has a home there already and her family is nearby, and the Sparks are offering to give her whatever she wants – days off, money, control of practice, travel schedules, etc. Penny Taylor wants to move from Phoenix, especially if BG remains there.

Meanwhile, Vegas is closest to Phoenix. [Kayla McBride is leaving for Minnesota]. [The Aces] have several key pieces in Angel, Liz and now Chelsea Gray, [and Taurasi] has a great relationship with all of them. The fact that [the Aces have] never won a championship is really appealing to [Dee] as well. The Mercury are in the mix, but she will have to be convinced to come back – and see them [get] rid of BG, [while] making moves towards building a better roster and putting a championship team together. I guess [we'll] stay tuned.

Anyways, I'll believe Taurasi leaves Phoenix when I see it. BUT, if she's gonna change teams, it seems that this is the year for her to do it. We also haven't heard a whole lot of news out of Seattle or Phoenix……………fwiw.

So what do we think about all this, hmm? All I know is, it adds to the drama of it all so I'm good. Laughing

Last edited by Stormeo on 01/30/21 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
miller40

PostPosted: 01/30/21 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This account is some wild fanfic. Laughing Shocked

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/30/21 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't believe

but it makes free agent musing and thinking about possible trades more fun until it officially doesn't happen

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/30/21 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just gotta say, I’m 1000% in favor of us signing Taurasi literally just for the merch! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Any extra value she provides us on the court is just gravy. The Seattle Storm as a supervillainous “superteam”? Even if we aren’t even projected to be the League’s best team? YES. We’ll see how it really turns out. Give me “2008 but make it dramatic every single game” vibes Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="4977777" data-share-method="host" data-width="30%" data-aspect-ratio="1.7886178861788617"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/elmo-burning-burn-hell-red-gif-4977777">Elmo Burning GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/elmo-gifs">Elmo GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/30/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't want/need her in LV, both due to existing personnel and cap space.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/30/21 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems to me that DT going to Vegas makes no sense. DT and Angel = oil and water. There was a rumor of a Bonner for Angel trade offer years ago that DT nixed.

I don't see DT taking chump change to play anywhere. She probably has her own reasons for not signing yet.

I say this myth gets busted.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/30/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Seems to me that DT going to Vegas makes no sense. DT and Angel = oil and water

Indeed! Here they are as teammates in 2016, clearly not getting along...

PostPosted: 01/30/21 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
This account is some wild fanfic. Laughing Shocked

Seriously. I'm half-expecting it to start shipping people.

PostPosted: 01/31/21 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does she miss Bonner? Wink

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/31/21 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
Does she miss Bonner? Wink

Taurasi back in Connecticut might have the unexpected side effect of founding a cult.

PostPosted: 01/31/21 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't Taurasi say on the IG live video with Sue that the only other team she'd consider playing for is LA?

I find this one doubtful but I guess we'll see.

Man, Phoenix went from the happiest organization to some pretty gossipy stuff quick. I wonder what is really going on over there.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/31/21 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The awkward part of DT in Vegas would be if someone brought up Laimbeer's quote about drafting Chandi Jones over her

PostPosted: 01/31/21 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The awkward part of DT in Vegas would be if someone brought up Laimbeer's quote about drafting Chandi Jones over her

Tbh, a Laimbeer and Taurasi coaching duo is something I’ve wanted for a very long time.

Queenie- Taurasi back in CT wouldn’t be the founding of a cult, but rather a re-emergence of an already existing cult. Wink

I don’t buy it - mostly because I’ve never heard of an issue with Taurasi and Brit. They’ve always been really close. However, it wouldn’t surprise me if she is at least considering Seattle. Spending her last few years with Bird on a Championship level team would be appealing.

PostPosted: 01/31/21 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Didn't Taurasi say on the IG live video with Sue that the only other team she'd consider playing for is LA?

Man, Phoenix went from the happiest organization to some pretty gossipy stuff quick. I wonder what is really going on over there.

I doubt DT goes to LA. LA back is pretty much set with Wheeler, Cooper and Toilver were would DT fit in that rotation?

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 01/31/21 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DT in Seattle? Maybe she see’s another ‘ship chance with us. Maybe that is why they let Alysha go. But I’d be surprised if she did.

PostPosted: 01/31/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do people think DT would leave Phoenix if there was some personnel or other type of issue, rather than doing the usual and having whoever/whatever the issue is booted out?

pilight

PostPosted: 01/31/21 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I doubt DT goes to LA. LA back is pretty much set with Wheeler, Cooper and Toilver were would DT fit in that rotation?

I doubt she's going to LA, but it won't be because she's concerned about losing minutes to Te'a Cooper

PostPosted: 01/31/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I doubt she's going to LA, but it won't be because she's concerned about losing minutes to Te'a Cooper

Laughing Laughing exactly. I don't think she'd worry about losing minutes to anyone. She has a tremendously large ego that has served her well. Anyway she can also easily play SF which would be great for LA.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/31/21 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Laughing Laughing exactly. I don't think she'd worry about losing minutes to anyone. She has a tremendously large ego that has served her well. Anyway she can also easily play SF which would be great for LA.

Seattle, too. Mr. Green

tfan

PostPosted: 02/01/21 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Taurasi puts another championship as an important requirement that would seem to rule out LA. Cambage is allegedly returning in 2021 so she'd be dealing with another 6'8" center whose attitude she might not like in Las Vegas.

miller40 wrote:
Why do people think DT would leave Phoenix if there was some personnel or other type of issue, rather than doing the usual and having whoever/whatever the issue is booted out?

Griner is a #1 draft pick who is on the Olympic team and has been an all-star every year she was eligible. Hard to just "ship out" a player at that level, even if Taurasi is calling for it. Taurasi will turn 39 this season and probably doesn't have the power she once had either. But they could be trying to trade Griner so Taurasi ends her career in Phoenix, but wanting close to equivalent value that teams aren't offering. Griner also left the bubble and I don't know if the WNBA can afford to have a fanless (or limited fans) non-bubble season in 2021 as the NBA is doing.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/01/21 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She ain't going nowhere.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1356267319366987776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1356267319366987776%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwbbdaily.boards.net%2Fthread%2F406%2F2021-wnba-free-agency%3Fpage%3D10

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/01/21 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that was fun for a day.

No surprise there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: