RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Observations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/29/21 11:13 am    ::: Observations Reply Reply with quote

Watched some games yesterday ...

Caitlin Clark: Oh yes ... passes, shoots, competes. Was ugly in the first half but couldn't be stopped in the second -- well, except by her coach who didn't get her the ball enough.

Doesn't look like a very good defender (slow feet) but she will improve if she wants to work at it.

Fun to watch ...

Paige Bueckers: Oh yes ... passes, shoots, competes. Gets the ball in the big moments and makes tough shots. Hard to tell defensively, but UConn in general didn't defend so she has to take some blame.

Chelsea Dungee: What a show. She doesn't do that every time out, so that's a question, but she is very physical and initiates contact on both ends of the floor. She's a willing rebounder and plays tough.

It doesn't appear she can play like that every night, but the fact she can reach that level is key because not many players can.

She's got a deep bag of offensive tricks and skills, and though she's a volume shooter, she can create her own shot, which is a rare skill.

Also fun to watch.

Ashley Owusu: Three big problems -- 1) Not a three-point shooter; 2) Only goes left; 3) Far from being in top condition. She's really strong and finishes through contact, which makes her hard to stop, but she's not a good defender right now.

Diamond Miller: Looks like a WNBA wing to me. Doesn't handle all that well, but shoots threes, can get to the rim and has the tools to be a good defender. A better player and prospect than Owusu.

Monika Czinano: Who? A poster player for why recruit rankings aren't that important. Sure she's not a WNBA prospect, but what a performance against a pretty good team. She's shooting 69% from the field, has great hands, uses her size, has good footwork (despite a couple travels) and is a great complement to Clark.

We all fall into the trap of rating players on their physical tools and if they "look like" they should be good, but there are a lot of really good players out there who get passed over because they don't fit the pattern we're looking for. I've done that myself in this post, but I know I need to remind myself that there's more to the game than looking the part.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 12:13 pm    ::: Re: Observations Reply Reply with quote

I was actually really impressed by Ramirez last night. She didn't go off like Dungee did, but she made huge shots and what a crafty intelligent player.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dungee's been going off like that most of the year. She's averaging 22.5 ppg.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/29/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Dungee's been going off like that most of the year. She's averaging 22.5 ppg.

Yup. This.

PostPosted: 01/30/21 6:16 pm    ::: Re: Observations Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I was actually really impressed by Ramirez last night. She didn't go off like Dungee did, but she made huge shots and what a crafty intelligent player.

I agree.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/01/21 11:12 am    ::: Re: Observations Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Monika Czinano: Who? A poster player for why recruit rankings aren't that important. Sure she's not a WNBA prospect, but what a performance against a pretty good team. She's shooting 69% from the field, has great hands, uses her size, has good footwork (despite a couple travels) and is a great complement to Clark.

We all fall into the trap of rating players on their physical tools and if they "look like" they should be good, but there are a lot of really good players out there who get passed over because they don't fit the pattern we're looking for. I've done that myself in this post, but I know I need to remind myself that there's more to the game than looking the part.

Couldn't agree more! Thanks for putting this into words.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: