Board Junkies Forums

Candace Parker to join Chicago Sky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 01/27/21 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Once again, Dead Wrong in Public ...

It never made sense to me for Candace to leave LA, but obviously it did to her. I've asked before, but does anybody know if her parents still live near Chicago?

She obviously has strong ties yet to Chicago. Prior to converting to Texans we would take the Sparks games to sit in the baseline in the fan zone or whatever it was and drink for free and eat the crappy smorgasbords they’d offer. She would always have a sizable group waiting for her there a long time after the game. And, of course she always played best to beat down my Sky to show off for the friends and family.

Hoping for a healthy season for that entire team. Azura, DeShields, Parker and Vanderquigs could be the most exciting team to watch this year. Hoping for a full season!!!

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 01/27/21 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I was pretty sure she was leaving once Fisher got his extension. Having a coach stars want to play for is an important element of free agency that the Sparks don't have.

Exactly. I think many of us never would've expected her to leave LA, even if it was to go home to Chicago. Now, I'm honestly curious how the FA talks between CP3 and Fish went.
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/27/21 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea how to feel about this. I've been a Sparks fan since the beginning and did not waiver once Lisa handed the baton to CP. I definitely thought CP was a LA-lifer and she definitely has said as much throughout the years and had not publicly expressed interest in returning home. It is shocking but at the same time, as much I've been an all-weather (looongg suffering) LA fan and supporter, they have not consistently "found the magic" and these last few post seasons have been painful to watch. In his first GM interview, Fish said that he was going to do what he could to make sure CP remained in LA, but who knows what happened in their discussions... This will be a very interesting season and it will be compelling to see how things shake out. It will be a different look for sure in LA because they typically have had a superstar to anchor the team and the market. Will they essentially roll with everyone sans CP and Chelsea, trade for some top tier, crowd drawing talent or just go ahead and blow the team up and rebuild? Does Seimone stay? Is Vadeeva coming? I don't think this is what Toliver signed up for! lol!

As has been mentioned, CP definitely has a built in community in the Chicago-land area and as I understand it, a great relationship with James Wade and a number of players on the team. I hope everyone stay healthy. They get/retain the pieces they need and mesh well. We shall see!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/27/21 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:
pilight wrote:
I was pretty sure she was leaving once Fisher got his extension. Having a coach stars want to play for is an important element of free agency that the Sparks don't have.

Exactly. I think many of us never would've expected her to leave LA, even if it was to go home to Chicago. Now, I'm honestly curious how the FA talks between CP3 and Fish went.

Again Think...Courtney Williams

PostPosted: 01/27/21 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Once again, Dead Wrong in Public ...

It never made sense to me for Candace to leave LA, but obviously it did to her. I've asked before, but does anybody know if her parents still live near Chicago?

Her Mom lives in LA with her and her father still lives in Chicago

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/27/21 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Penny's comments last year, or before (can't remember) one of her beefs with the Sparks brass was that they wouldn't let her trade Candace. Too bad for the Sky they got CP about 5 years too late.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/27/21 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I state “Think Courtney Williams” here’s a clue

https://twitter.com/DwyaneWade/status/1354590661207445505?s=20

PostPosted: 01/27/21 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
When I state “Think Courtney Williams” here’s a clue

https://twitter.com/DwyaneWade/status/1354590661207445505?s=20

Thank you, because I really didn’t know what you were talking about. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/27/21 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
According to Penny's comments last year, or before (can't remember) one of her beefs with the Sparks brass was that they wouldn't let her trade Candace. Too bad for the Sky they got CP about 5 years too late.

This is how I feel about the transaction.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
I have no idea how to feel about this. I've been a Sparks fan since the beginning and did not waiver once Lisa handed the baton to CP. I definitely thought CP was a LA-lifer and she definitely has said as much throughout the years and had not publicly expressed interest in returning home. It is shocking but at the same time, as much I've been an all-weather (looongg suffering) LA fan and supporter, they have not consistently "found the magic" and these last few post seasons have been painful to watch. In his first GM interview, Fish said that he was going to do what he could to make sure CP remained in LA, but who knows what happened in their discussions... This will be a very interesting season and it will be compelling to see how things shake out. It will be a different look for sure in LA because they typically have had a superstar to anchor the team and the market. Will they essentially roll with everyone sans CP and Chelsea, trade for some top tier, crowd drawing talent or just go ahead and blow the team up and rebuild? Does Seimone stay? Is Vadeeva coming? I don't think this is what Toliver signed up for! lol!

As has been mentioned, CP definitely has a built in community in the Chicago-land area and as I understand it, a great relationship with James Wade and a number of players on the team. I hope everyone stay healthy. They get/retain the pieces they need and mesh well. We shall see!

I would LOVE to have Maria come over to play with Nneka. With Ace gone, Maria can finally start and really contribute. I wonder if Kristi is still on board the U.S.S. Sparks in spirit? If CP3 had to exit, now was the time.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 3:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow after that whole post or vid about Parker wanting to stay in Los Angeles and be loyal and all that, i didnt expect this.

Guess she didnt want to play for Fisher anymore then. The Sky look a lot more dangerous now.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 01/28/21 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I loved watching the Sky play last year quite a bit. This just amps up their potential by a LOT. Good move by them to try to keep them in the conversation about winning a championship.

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sad. Parker has always been half assed. A few great seasons, yes. But tired of the whole princess mentality. All the Parker fans that are slandering Fisher need to quit. Fisher, much like Geno, did not tolerate her laziness. Princess never liked being held accountable. Good luck in Chicago

Last edited by Spark4Life on 01/28/21 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 01/28/21 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those grapes have always been sour...

PostPosted: 01/28/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

X______

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 01/28/21 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Those grapes have always been sour...

No sour grapes, I've always felt this way. 🤷‍♀️
Going into the playoffs hoping she would be "fully engaged" got old years ago.
The Sparks franchise will survive.

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 01/28/21 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When top FAs and "LA Lifers" no longer want to play for the Sparks, that says a lot about the organization.

Either way, I'm excited to see the Sky this season. They're usually always fun but the playmaking should be crazy. Very Happy
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 01/28/21 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:
When top FAs and "LA Lifers" no longer want to play for the Sparks, that says a lot about the organization.

Either way, I'm excited to see the Sky this season. They're usually always fun but the playmaking should be crazy. Very Happy

She couldn't get this coach fired, so she took her ball and left. 🤷‍♀️

Sparksfan

PostPosted: 01/28/21 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Not sad. Parker has always been half assed. A few great seasons, yes. But tired of the whole princess mentality. All the Parker fans that are slandering Fisher need to quit. Fisher, much like Geno, did not tolerate her laziness. Princess never liked being held accountable. Good luck in Chicago

Laziness. The girl carried the entire team last year by herself. Literally tried to beat Connecticut by herself

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 01/28/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Laziness. The girl carried the entire team last year by herself. Literally tried to beat Connecticut by herself

Yes she did. She was motivated and had a great year. She looked great! She did have some great moments here, and is phenomenally talented. All true. Never said she didn't have her moments. It just wasn't consistent. That's why she found herself benched during that blowout playoff loss a few years ago. Like I said, I wish her all the best.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/28/21 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Yes she did. She was motivated and had a great year. She looked great! She did have some great moments here, and is phenomenally talented. All true. Never said she didn't have her moments. It just wasn't consistent. That's why she found herself benched during that blowout playoff loss a few years ago. Like I said, I wish her all the best.

#HateHard Approved!

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/28/21 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've always disliked Ace in large part because she was a SPARK! Damn it, now I'm actually gonna root for her some.

Sparksfan

PostPosted: 01/28/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Candace Parker play had nothing to do with that benching and since when was playing hurt become playing lazy. Fisher benched her because they had an argument at practice about making adjustments to get around Chelsea Gray being double teamed. Penny Toler also played apart in that benching as well.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/28/21 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Candace Parker play had nothing to do with that benching and since when was playing hurt become playing lazy. Fisher benched her because they had an argument at practice about making adjustments to get around Chelsea Gray being double teamed. Penny Toler also played apart in that benching as well.

Thank you! There have been many years that CP about killed herself to carry the Sparks particularly prior to Nneka really emerging, after which, they became "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" for a number of years. She is not perfect and has driven me crazy from time to time but she absolutely is a transcendent athlete who has given greatly to the game and to LA! All ballers have ailments here and there, but there is no other player who has had the number of physical setbacks she has had and has been able to do what she has and can do. It is extremely difficult to think of LA without her but here we are.

I can't believe how the front office literally imploded in 2019 and who knows what really happened with Agler, Toler, etc. After seeing a tweet from Brian about CP's move, I believe LA would've been in a really different space if he'd stayed. Anywho...

The new look Sparks still has some really nice pieces and will be interesting going forward.... but so do the Sky, Aces, WAS, Minny.... Watching this year will be bittersweet but should be special in many ways!

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 01/31/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
Sparksfan wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

It's always someone else's fault. 🙄

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: