Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 01/07/21 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I've just discovered this a week late. For anyone else who didn't already know:

https://empiresportsmedia.com/liberty/new-york-liberty-g-layshia-clarendon-and-wife-jessica-welcome-first-child/

Congratulations to Layshia and Jessica!!! And now we have one more New York Liberty fan. Smile

Mazel Tov Layshia and Jessica Very Happy

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/07/21 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paris Kea has had knee surgery:

https://liberty.wnba.com/news/paris-kea-medical-update/?fbclid=IwAR2jAJ8uUKhlGj19lE7ETX0flrtBbhtfdUM69EI6uoIj9jk8KJ4zPZMuIq8

PostPosted: 01/07/21 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just got an email from the Liberty saying that Paris Kea had ACL surgery. The procedure was done at HSS, which has an affiliation with the Nets/Liberty. I don't know if that means they want to keep her in the fold somehow, but the email also makes a point of noting that Kea is not under contract.

Oops, didn't see Bob's post. Slow on the draw again. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/07/21 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Paris Kea has had knee surgery:

https://liberty.wnba.com/news/paris-kea-medical-update/?fbclid=IwAR2jAJ8uUKhlGj19lE7ETX0flrtBbhtfdUM69EI6uoIj9jk8KJ4zPZMuIq8

sad for her. Have enjoyed watching her from college days. Hope she can make a full recovery and find a home afterward.

- Amanda Gorman
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 01/16/21 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/sports/basketball/new-york-liberty-ionescu.html

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/16/21 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/sports/basketball/new-york-liberty-ionescu.html

I saw this. I was intrigued by the headline... started reading & enjoying the imaginative & alluring content. Then I considered the source, and as luck would have it, the author is Megdal. Laughing I’ll never forget how he falsely reported Ionescu early-declaring in 2019. Hasn’t really recovered from that in my book. Embarassed

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/16/21 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw this earlier and I became immediately skeptical when I saw it was written by Megdal. He seems to just assume Nurse will bounce back and that Johannes will show up. I don't think either is close to being a given. Megdal is also the second person I've seen suggest that Nneka would want to be in NY because she's the union president. Why? It's not like they negotiate a CBA every year, and when they do it's during the off-season. Sure, unexpected issues will occasionally arise that require immediate attention, but why can't that be handled by conference call, Zoom or Skype? I don't see any reason why Nneka needs to be near the League office all summer long.

PostPosted: 01/16/21 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Yeah, I saw this earlier and I became immediately skeptical when I saw it was written by Megdal. He seems to just assume Nurse will bounce back and that Johannes will show up. I don't think either is close to being a given. Megdal is also the second person I've seen suggest that Nneka would want to be in NY because she's the union president. Why? It's not like they negotiate a CBA every year, and when they do it's during the off-season. Sure, unexpected issues will occasionally arise that require immediate attention, but why can't that be handled by conference call, Zoom or Skype? I don't see any reason why Nneka needs to be near the League office all summer long.

I agree regarding the three questionable assumptions that you've noted here. I'd just add this. When I read that article by Megdal, it told me nothing that I didn't know already.

PostPosted: 01/16/21 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I agree regarding the three questionable assumptions that you've noted here. I'd just add this. When I read that article by Megdal, it told me nothing that I didn't know already.

Yeah, I didn't get much out of the article either. However, I did like this quote:

Quote:
“The rookies will mature as players, and they’re going to be more ready to step in and be more efficient,” Kolb said. “And in terms of the system, I mean, of course, we will change things up. We’ve been deep diving into doing an autopsy of our season, and looking at all of it, offensively and defensively. And so I think it will be a combination of personnel and improvements.”

Well, this coroner says that the victim died from bad shooting. Supposedly, the analytics philosophy of basketball emphasizes 3pt shots and layups. Too bad the Liberty were last in shooting percentage for both categories. In fact, the Liberty were last at every distance except 10-14 ft, where they were next to last. Also, while we're examining morbidity, I hope management notices that things go badly when they use the small line-up. Do not bring back the 3s as 4s, and certainly do not expand it!

PostPosted: 01/16/21 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Well, this coroner says that the victim died from bad shooting. Supposedly, the analytics philosophy of basketball emphasizes 3pt shots and layups. Too bad the Liberty were last in shooting percentage for both categories. In fact, the Liberty were last at every distance except 10-14 ft, where they were next to last. Also, while we're examining morbidity, I hope management notices that things go badly when they use the small line-up. Do not bring back the 3s as 4s, and certainly do not expand it!

I suppose that Kolb and Hopkins might argue that the 2020 Liberty season wasn't a true test of the small lineup approach. Limited training camp, no preseason games, short season, no Sabrina, and all those rookies. Just one season with all that. But I'd say it's a questionable approach to WNBA basketball in this era. I'd much prefer that NOT be the team's approach in 2021 except for limited situations where the matchups using a small lineup really look good.

PostPosted: 01/16/21 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing - post of the week. Very Happy

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/16/21 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty had the least amount of talent in the league, by a long shot, and that was clear from training camp.

Bad players miss shots. Bad players can't defend. Bad players turn the ball over.

To play better, the Liberty need better players, first and foremost. Hopkins can scheme all he wants but if your best player is worse than the other team's fourth best player, you've got problems that schemes can't fix.

PostPosted: 01/16/21 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deleted my comment.

PostPosted: 01/27/21 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alarming video about Durr's battle with COVID. It doesn't sound like she'll be playing this year -- in fact, she's worried about her career.

https://twitter.com/wncaudill/status/1354276941914898432?s=20

Best wishes for her recovery in general. Forget about basketball for now.

PostPosted: 01/27/21 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel so much pain in my heart for her. All of the long-haulers, really, but particularly her – a young woman who's supposed to have a bright career & life ahead of her, who can't even turn to the one thing that was there for her through the other tougher times in her life, in the midst of the toughest time she probably will ever have. Can't imagine it. Still in shock that it's happening to so many people, and that we as a society don't talk about the Long-haulers enough at all. It could've scared so many people into taking this shit seriously early on in the pandemic. And it still could now. But for so many people, I don't think it is, and it may never. Watching everything play out over the past several months within my own life and in the world around me, considering all the unknowns that come with it, has been pure agony.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/27/21 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alarming is the right word.

It is heartbreaking.

Wishing her the best.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/27/21 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad

Just awful. Hope you beat that thing soon, Asia.

PostPosted: 01/27/21 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Alarming is the right word.

It is heartbreaking.

Wishing her the best.

Oh my....

Poor Asia-my heart just broke watching that.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/27/21 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indeed, this is heartbreaking...

Stormeo, you are so right! I don't understand why they do not shed light on the experience of long-haulers and the fact that we really and truly do not know or understand the long-term impacts of COVID and what it does to the body. So much focus has been placed on death and death rates, but I've been saying from the beginning that there is a wide gulf and many states between being healthy and being dead. You do not want to be in those middle places and not being able to breathe or function normally is a terrible way to live and who knows for how long! The other thing that isn't being shared is the cost of care if a person ends up in the hospital. From the little bit I've seen, it has been over $100k for some people. Would the cost of care scare some folks or would more information about long-haulers cause us to pause and take this more seriously? I hope so, but I don't know.... I pray for Asia and I pray that we can get to a space that we care enough about ourselves and other people. We really have to do this together. Be safe everyone!

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/27/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so sad! And yes, the death numbers are terrible but we don't hear enough about the longterm stuff for some people - I read it could be as many as 10% of covid patients.
I too have a friend who is a long-hauler. He was an ICU nurse and got it early on - last February or March. He's in his mid-30s so pretty young. A year later and he still has a lot of pain mostly in joints, coughing fits, extreme fatigue, weird painful rashes that pop up especially on his legs and feet, and says his brain seems so fuzzy it's very hard to focus from one minute to the next. He says he feels like he is ninety.
...and there are still people who think it's all a fake...or that they are young so it doesn't matter. Rolling Eyes

- Amanda Gorman
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/27/21 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is just awful. There have already been many great comments here and I am with all of you in your concern for Asia Durr. And in what you've said about long-haulers, continuing denial about Covid-19, and the rest. Just hoping somehow for better days ahead for Asia Durr.

PostPosted: 01/27/21 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fuck this disease.

My heart goes out to her.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/27/21 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Betnijah Laney has agreed to a multi-year deal with New York. https://twitter.com/rachgall/status/1354623887221243904?s=21

Discuss.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/27/21 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Betnijah Laney has agreed to a multi-year deal with New York. https://twitter.com/rachgall/status/1354623887221243904?s=21

Discuss.

like it
still need a post but Laney can start at the 3 shift Nurse to the 2 Ionescu to the 1 and Clarendon to the bench,

with the Olympics looking less likely maybe Johannes comes to town

Ionescu/Clarendon
Nurse/Johannes
Laney

then maybe

Ionescu/Clarendon
Nurse/Johannes/Jones
Laney/Willoughby or Odom
#1 pick (I am still all in on Collier)/Allen/Walker
Stokes/FA or maybe Han show as well? or Maybe Rupert at 17 or Shook

LibFan25

PostPosted: 01/27/21 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good signing I like it. We got our SF, they should of been tried to get her couple years ago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 7 of 69

Jump to: