RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trans athletes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 01/26/21 1:26 pm    ::: Trans athletes Reply Reply with quote

Living in Texas I get exposed to a lot of idiocy. Memes, coworkers blabbing and neighbors gossiping about the horrid nature of extending rights to the LGBTQ+ community on the basis of “biological women” being slighted in the sports arena. I have been very busy at work and have not had time to inform myself of what has led to this. Could any of the well informed
Posters give some details? Something tells me I’m gonna have to start wearing Black Trans Lives matter shirt I got from the NY Liberty more.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/26/21 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This came up with my Trumpian in-laws and on a high-school message board.

Basically, the ruling is that Title IX applies to the gender identification of the individual so a male identifying female would be eligible for female sports teams.

I don't think it will have any impact at the high school level, but it may turn into a bigger issue at higher levels. According to what I've read, a male-to-female trans does not lose significant muscle mass or strength, and the Title IX ruling could impact colleges (but not the WNBA). There would be a motivation for a male-to-female trans to play basketball, say, and get a scholarship that wouldn't be available to the previously male individual.

PostPosted: 01/26/21 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That logic always assumed that transitioning for a perceived benefit (scholarship, money, gold medals etc) is somehow worth it to a non trans person. It's very unlikely someone would willing go through that trauma just for "free college" and all the public ridicule that would be foisted on them as a result.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/26/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
That logic always assumed that transitioning for a perceived benefit (scholarship, money, gold medals etc) is somehow worth it to a non trans person. It's very unlikely someone would willing go through that trauma just for "free college" and all the public ridicule that would be foisted on them as a result.

I agree ... I just don't see it being an issue, but the right really likes to stir things up when it comes to any government support of trans issues.

PostPosted: 01/26/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

It would be absolutely insane for someone to decide to do that for ANY reason. That's why the whole "gay is a choice" argument has always made absolutely no sense to me. As a proud gay person myself, why the fuck would someone CHOOSE to be a different sexuality. It's not like I woke up one day in Junior High and decided "you know what, I'm gonna stop randomly popping boners in class to girls, only dudes from now on." The logic of it is ludicrous.

My take in the impact of trans athletes: there won't be one. I've played in my local gay basketball and softball leagues with and against about 700 other LGBTQ athletes and there was ONE trans female out of all of them. To overgeneralize, I've known a lot of trans women and I woudn't necessarily describe the vast majority of them as sports-driven. I really think it's more of a anti-Trans talking point moreso than a pressing issue. Almost a non-issue, IMO. I don't see it having a huge or even significant impact in the long run.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 01/26/21 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you all. I knew I’d get good info here.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 01/26/21 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember when Richard Raskind transitioned in the 1970s to become Renée Richards? This looks like a good recap. She decided to just go about her life.

https://www.si.com/tennis/2019/06/28/renee-richards-gender-identity-politics-transgender-where-are-they-now

PostPosted: 01/27/21 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
This came up with my Trumpian in-laws and on a high-school message board.

Basically, the ruling is that Title IX applies to the gender identification of the individual so a male identifying female would be eligible for female sports teams.

I don't think it will have any impact at the high school level, but it may turn into a bigger issue at higher levels. According to what I've read, a male-to-female trans does not lose significant muscle mass or strength, and the Title IX ruling could impact colleges (but not the WNBA). There would be a motivation for a male-to-female trans to play basketball, say, and get a scholarship that wouldn't be available to the previously male individual.

TBH, I'm not sure it'll ever have a big impact anywhere. I don't know that there are enough trans people, particularly those that are invested in and highly skilled in sports, that it will ever be an issue.

We were going to have to answer this question at some point anyway.

PostPosted: 01/29/21 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas requires high school athletes to compete as the gender they were born with. I assume designed to help female athletes who would have had to compete with male-to-female transgenders taking hormones, but on the other hand, female-to-male transgenders will undergo "testosterone therapy treatments" which should give them an advantage against female athletes:

Champion transgender wrestler prompts questions about fairness, steroids

The arguments I have heard with regard to women/girls having to compete with biological men/boys taking hormones - from the female athlete perspective - goes along the lines of "a lot of competitors are not going to win whether a biological male is in the competition or not so you losing just adds you to the majority" or "there are always competitors with physical advantages in sports competitions."

shontay33

PostPosted: 01/29/21 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a very interesting topic. However, there has been a big push about biological women getting the recognition and opportunities in sports as their male counterparts. I don't think that its fair to biological women or girls who have worked hard to have to give up their spots or get picked over a trans female. Why not start an organization where trans athletes can compete against each other? That way they will be in a safe space for them mentally and physically. It also helps them to connect with others like them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: