RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches and ADs weigh risks, rewards and NCAA Tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/23/21 9:55 am    ::: Coaches and ADs weigh risks, rewards and NCAA Tournament Reply Reply with quote

From the Athletic: Coaches and ADs weigh risks, rewards and NCAA Tournament: ‘It might be a disaster’

https://theathletic.com/2334762/2021/01/20/womens-college-basketball-ncaa-tournament-covid/

A snippet.
Quote:
Do you think there will actually be an NCAA Tournament? If so, how many teams will be in it?

From safety and everything this year, it should be 16 teams. That’s where it needs to be. Let’s do it that way — you’re dealing with 350 people and you can manage it. You can’t deal with 2,000 people. You open yourself up for a disaster.” — Power 6 head coach

“I do think the tourney will happen with the full complement of teams. Now, how the tourney functions is a different question. What if a one seed has to pause the day before the 16(-seed)’s game. What does that all look like?” — Power 6 AD

“I think there’s going to be an NCAA Tournament. The NCAA is so desperate to have it. … I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s 32 (teams) just to minimize the logistical nightmare that it’s going to be with it all in one place.” — Power 6 head coach

“I do think what’s going to happen is there are going to be teams that show up and you’re going to have two or three positives and now they can’t play — how do they deal with that? Do they just forfeit those games? Or have they gotten so good with the contact tracing where they just leave a couple kids out and then they play? … I do think they’re going to pull it off and they’re going to try to start with 64 teams and it might be a disaster.” — Mid-major assistant

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/25/21 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still maintain the NCAA needs to bring everything to a halt leading into the NCAA's. No conference tournaments this year. Everyone is off for 2 weeks leading up to the selection show and then they resume practices. That is the only way you can even come close to guaranteeing that all the qualified teams will be able to participate. Otherwise, it could be just one gigantic cluster f*ck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: