RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tokyo Olympics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/21/21 7:14 pm    ::: Tokyo Olympics Reply Reply with quote

Someone who has a Times of London subscription is going to have to get behind the paywall for the details, but here's the teaser:

Quote:
The Japanese government has privately concluded that the Tokyo Olympics will have to be cancelled because of the coronavirus, and the focus is now on securing the Games for the city in the next available year, 2032.

According to a senior member of the ruling coalition, there is agreement that the Games, already postponed a year, are doomed. The aim now is to find a face-saving way of announcing the cancellation that leaves open the possibility of Tokyo playing host at a later date. “No one wants to be the first to say so but the consensus is that it's too difficult," the source said. "Personally, I don't think it's going to happen."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/japan-looks-for-a-way-out-of-tokyo-olympics-because-of-virus-lf868xfnd

Last edited by Queenie on 01/21/21 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/21/21 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's probably true, which is a damn shame for all the athletes. But it's absolutely fascinating as it relates to this upcoming WNBA season imo, especially while free agency is still at its early stages.

All those international WNBA players (including the Canadian ones) should probably try & sign with a team while teams are still looking for players in the event that this indeed becomes confirmed. Within this past week for example, Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe said she was gonna skip the WNBA to focus on the Olympics. She may have to reverse course – and soon. And other more regular WNBA players such as Emma Meesseman will probably re-sign, which could change the equation for the Mystics' roster crunch, amongst other teams with their own important international players.

Last edited by Stormeo on 01/21/21 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
MNfan22

PostPosted: 01/21/21 8:26 pm    ::: Re: No Tokyo Olympics? Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Someone who has a Times of London subscription is going to have to get behind the paywall for the details, but here's the teaser:

Quote:
The Japanese government has privately concluded that the Tokyo Olympics will have to be cancelled because of the coronavirus, and the focus is now on securing the Games for the city in the next available year, 2032.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/japan-looks-for-a-way-out-of-tokyo-olympics-because-of-virus-lf868xfnd

Would anyone be surprised by this, money or not?
- Japan is taking a hit as it is; would be bigger by trying to host.
- No fans (not enough fans to spend enough money) Don't see major sponsors willing to kick in more bucks
- How many countries could afford to send athletes?
- By summer doubt 1/2 the world will be vaccinated let alone majority of participants.

2022 Winter games will be lucky if they take place IMO.

As for the WNBA, only way I see a season taking place this summer is if they go back to a bubble again. Or, maybe, have 2 or 3 bubble hubs that groups of teams play in to keep any travel to a minimum?

PostPosted: 01/21/21 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
It's probably true, which is a damn shame for all the athletes.

And for those of us with tickets Sad.

It's probably too late given the short notice and the expense, but I wonder if there's anywhere else on earth that has Covid largely under control and would be willing to host instead. Auckland 2021, maybe?

PostPosted: 01/21/21 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It's probably too late given the short notice and the expense, but I wonder if there's anywhere else on earth that has Covid largely under control and would be willing to host instead. Auckland 2021, maybe?

I'm no expert on these matters, but I've been in Auckland a few times and I can't imagine any way that Auckland could have the resources to host the Olympics this summer. Indeed, I suspect it would take a massive redevelopment project for Auckland to host the Summer Olympics at any future time.

In the articles I've read that have painted a gloomy picture regarding the Olympics actually happening in Japan this summer, there hasn't been a single sentence about an alternate site. I believe it's Japan or nowhere this summer--and very likely nowhere.

Of course I will feel bad not only for the athletes but for you and everyone with tickets. On a less crucial note, I've been looking forward to watching Olympic women's basketball, women's soccer, track and field, and many other sports. I'll be sad for myself, as well as for people far more deeply affected, if the Games don't happen in Japan.

PostPosted: 01/22/21 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw an article today (but don't remember where - one of the major news outlets) saying Tokyo is definitely on.

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/22/21 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Any country that has it under control isn't going to allow hordes of people to reintroduce it.

I know someone on the US ski team who had planned out his training and competition schedule for 20-21 leading up to the Olympics who decided several months ago that he couldn't accomplish the things he needed and that the Olympics were doubtful at best, so he retired and is looking at going back to school.

Yes.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/asia/tokyo-olympics-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

No.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55722542

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/22/21 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Any country that has it under control isn't going to allow hordes of people to reintroduce it.

Yes, that would be the other issue. They'd have to accept the risk, even though there'd presumably be a significant period of quarantine for anyone coming in (which would significantly increase the costs, given accommodating and feeding the vast numbers of people involved). I acknowledge that it's a longshot. But while the host city often loses a lot of money, the Olympics also make a vast sum overall through things like sponsorships and TV rights. People usually go to extraordinary lengths to make sure that things that generate that much cash don't get completely cancelled.

PostPosted: 01/22/21 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, a lot of the costs of hosting the Olympics is building up the infrastructure, which Japan has already done. So it is sunk costs. My guess is that they might try to create a bubble of sorts for the Olympics, with athletes quarantining and then being tested daily and asked not to leave the Olympic Village. Might work.

PostPosted: 01/22/21 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I saw an article today (but don't remember where - one of the major news outlets) saying Tokyo is definitely on.

The official stance of the Japanese government is that Tokyo is definitely on. The article is hinting at an unofficial decision; however, it's behind a paywall and I'm not subscribing for a single article.

PostPosted: 01/22/21 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uncertainty about the Olympics is one reason we don't have a WNBA schedule yet

PostPosted: 01/22/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cancelling the Olympics will be the very, very last resort for Japan. If the numbers are trending down by June, I can't imagine them being called off.

PostPosted: 01/22/21 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the most recent article from the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/sports/olympics/bach-olympics-tokyo-covid.html?searchResultPosition=1

PostPosted: 01/22/21 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Here's the most recent article from the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/sports/olympics/bach-olympics-tokyo-covid.html?searchResultPosition=1

Quote:
For much of 2020, Japan held the virus mostly in check, but in the last few months cases have soared to 5,000 or more a day. Earlier this month, Japan declared a state of emergency in Tokyo and nearby areas, its first since April. Vaccination will not begin until late February, and mass vaccination not until May.

As a result, sentiment against the Games has risen in Japan. A poll this month by the Japanese broadcaster NHK showed that 77 percent of the country favored canceling or postponing the Games.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 01/22/21 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is never going to end the way it is going and they would probably be smart to simply say it is a no-go until they actually manage to figure out a way to get people to behave enough to get the virus under control.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/28/21 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WHO officials: Olympic athletes should not receive COVID-19 vaccines before world's most vulnerable populations

Quote:
World Health Organization officials indicated Monday that they do not believe Olympic athletes should receive priority access to COVID-19 vaccines, particularly if it means cutting ahead of the world's health care workers and elderly population.

Michael Ryan, the executive director of the WHO's Health Emergencies Program, said the organization obviously wishes that everyone could be vaccinated. But, at this juncture, the focus must be on the populations that are most at risk, he said.

"We face a crisis now on a global scale, that requires front-line health workers, those older people and those most vulnerable in our societies to access vaccine first," Ryan said. "That doesn't in any way negate the desire or the will to have the Olympics and come together and celebrate a wonderful global sporting event, where all countries come together to share that. What a wonderful symbol those Games are for our shared humanity.

"However, we have to face the realities of what we face now: There is not enough vaccine, right now, to even serve those who are most at risk."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/01/25/who-olympic-athletes-covid-19-vaccines/4253269001/

IOC 'not considering' coronavirus vaccine as it pushes ahead with Tokyo Olympics planning
Quote:
One of the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) most senior officials says the Tokyo Olympic Games will go ahead even if athletes cannot be vaccinated beforehand.

At this moment the vaccine doesn't come into play in any of our planning and that's the way we are going ahead.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-27/coronavirus-ioc-not-considering-athlete-vaccination-for-tokyo/13095262

Earlier commentary by US...
U.S. Olympic leaders consider mandatory coronavirus vaccines for athletes

Quote:
With coronavirus vaccines expected to become more readily available by spring, U.S. Olympic leaders are considering whether to make inoculation mandatory for American athletes headed for the Tokyo Games this summer.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/story/2020-12-21/tokyo-olympics-vaccine-coronavirus-covid19

In the meantime, a number of athletes have spoken out and said that they wouldn't want to receive a vaccine when healthcare workers and more vulnerable people are waiting. A senior IOC official has said there aren't enough athletes to seriously derail the vaccine program for others (he apparently forgot it's not just the athletes, but the coaches, officials, trainers, equipment managers, facility maintenance, journalists, fans and other hangers-on that will need vaccines as well). A French official has said that if the attendees cannot be vaccinated, the games should be cancelled.

Nice to know everyone's on the same page here.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/02/21 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/groups-confirmed-for-tokyo-2020-olympic-basketball-tournaments

PostPosted: 02/02/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/groups-confirmed-for-tokyo-2020-olympic-basketball-tournaments

Am I seeing this wrong or is mainstay Russia missing?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/02/21 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russia didn't even qualify for the qualifers, never mind actually qualify.

PostPosted: 02/02/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was Russia eligible? I know there were blanket eligibility issues for Russian athletes because of PED, but I don't know where that stands at this point.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/02/21 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Was Russia eligible? I know there were blanket eligibility issues for Russian athletes because of PED, but I don't know where that stands at this point.

Yep, they just lost a lot at EuroBasket Women 2019 (to Belgium and Serbia in the group stage, then to Spain and Sweden in the knockout games), finished 8th, and only the top six advanced to the Olympic Qualifying Tournaments. Russia have been utterly ordinary, at best, for quite a while now.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: