RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Covid Cancellations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/21/21 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I mean, I get it, but couldn't that have been a very good teachable moment, not to mention witnessing history first hand?

I completely agree.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/21/21 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
I mean, I get it, but couldn't that have been a very good teachable moment, not to mention witnessing history first hand?

I completely agree.

College Park is 12 miles from DC. For the past two weeks you’ve had concerns about a potential threat taking place for the inauguration. It’s not just the media in Iowa talking about the potential for violence.

I think it completely reasonable and responsible for Bluder to postpone this game due what might happen this week. Have your teachable moments from a safe and secure distance.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/21/21 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

Yes, no, maybe so...but there were also very real fears in other parts of the country (not so much in the VA-MD-DC area because we were aware of the pretty massive presence of cops and troops) that there might be violence surrounding the inauguration. So I definitely get it.

PostPosted: 01/21/21 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Yes, no, maybe so...but there were also very real fears in other parts of the country (not so much in the VA-MD-DC area because we were aware of the pretty massive presence of cops and troops) that there might be violence surrounding the inauguration. So I definitely get it.

...especially after being told you couldn't stay in 'your' hotel because it was full of National guardsmen.

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/22/21 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure this wasn't a unilateral decision by the coach. I suspect both the school admin and the players' parents were not enthusiastic about sending their kids to Maryland this week, and then having to forgo any security plans that were in place and to scramble to find accommodations at the last minute were the final straw.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/22/21 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I'm sure this wasn't a unilateral decision by the coach. I suspect both the school admin and the players' parents were not enthusiastic about sending their kids to Maryland this week, and then having to forgo any security plans that were in place and to scramble to find accommodations at the last minute were the final straw.

I got the impression from the WP article that Coach Bluder did not discuss the problem with Coach Frese since weeks back. I think Brenda would have liked the opportunity to explain the geography of CP relative to the security zone and the fact that there were no issues that anyone was aware of in that part of the DMV. But the decision to cancel was made without her local input.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/22/21 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Believe me, I get the concern. However, wasn't the game to be played last night (Thursday)? The inauguration happened a couple of days ago and would have been over before her team would have even gotten to College Park.

I understand 12 miles from CP to DC, but honestly, I have driven in that area many, many times and spent a lot of time in the area, and they might as well be different worlds. Not to say something couldn't spread to the Maryland campus, but you might as well be talking Des Moines to Iowa City.

Anyway, what's done is done. I can understand and appreciate erring on the side of caution, esp in today's world, but I do feel it is an overreaction. Maybe I come to the same conclusion as Coach Bluder if I'm in her shoes, who knows?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/22/21 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First forfeit of the season. Evansville forfeited their game to Illinois St today. The teams had played yesterday when Illinois St won 73-48 as the Aces had only 7 available players. I saw no reason why this game was considered a forfeit rather than a postponement as the game was called off after consultation with medical professionals, but the website said the Aces would return to play next week.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/22/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Providence and Creighton each postpone another game as the extend their Covid pauses:

https://www.bigeast.com/news/2021/1/22/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-announces-schedule-updates.aspx

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/23/21 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Believe me, I get the concern. However, wasn't the game to be played last night (Thursday)? The inauguration happened a couple of days ago and would have been over before her team would have even gotten to College Park.

I understand 12 miles from CP to DC, but honestly, I have driven in that area many, many times and spent a lot of time in the area, and they might as well be different worlds. Not to say something couldn't spread to the Maryland campus, but you might as well be talking Des Moines to Iowa City.

Anyway, what's done is done. I can understand and appreciate erring on the side of caution, esp in today's world, but I do feel it is an overreaction. Maybe I come to the same conclusion as Coach Bluder if I'm in her shoes, who knows?

I don’t know what exactly their travel schedule is, how the whole inauguration travel and stuff work and the locations of one place to the other, but if they were told they would have to change hotels because the hotel they were going to stay in had to be occupied by the national guard during the same time that Iowa would need the hotel there is definitely some overlap and with the national guard still in the general area I could definitely see some hesitation to put yourself in that area when you don’t need to be.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/23/21 4:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
First forfeit of the season. Evansville forfeited their game to Illinois St today. The teams had played yesterday when Illinois St won 73-48 as the Aces had only 7 available players. I saw no reason why this game was considered a forfeit rather than a postponement as the game was called off after consultation with medical professionals, but the website said the Aces would return to play next week.

Pretty sure there was a forfeit in the RMAC, NCAA WBB D2 hoops..or is this board for D1 only?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/23/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU's games against Northeastern this weekend were canceled due to positives in the Northeastern program. Just when our coach got out of quarantine, too. DAMN!

PostPosted: 01/23/21 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m curious what standards the different conferences are using for returning to competition. The B1G was using 21 days for football, but basketball is now 17 days.

I’m looking forward to Leigha Brown returning which may happen tomorrow at Purdue. It’ll be the first full roster for Michigan since December 9th (except for Varejao who still can’t come back from Brazil).

Michigan State returned to full practice on Tuesday and will play tomorrow after missing three games. It’s unknown if there are any players still held out.

Rutgers has been out for weeks. So far six games have been postponed. If they clear to play next week, they’ll go to Maryland on Thursday.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/23/21 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona has Covid issues and has postponed their game against Colorado.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/23/21 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No idea how reliable a source this is, but Michigan may have to shut down everything: https://twitter.com/ethan_sears/status/1353171434898661381

(now with spelling variations)
mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/23/21 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, crap. Now all of Michigan Athletics is getting shut down for two weeks by the state. An athlete brought the new variant back from the U.K., and it’s spreading.

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/sports/michigan-sports-postponed-again

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/23/21 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
No idea how reliable a source this is, but Michigan may have to shut down everything: https://twitter.com/ethan_sears/status/1353171434898661381

Sorry for the duplicate post. I didn’t refresh the page.

It’s official. https://mgoblue.com/news/2021/1/23/general-university-of-michigan-athletics-enters-department-wide-activity-pause.aspx

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/23/21 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Well, crap. Now all of Michigan Athletics is getting shut down for two weeks by the state. An athlete brought the new variant back from the U.K., and it’s spreading.

The new variant scares the heck out of me. Best wishes for a recovery to everyone at Michigan.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/23/21 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

The new variant scares the heck out of me. Best wishes for a recovery to everyone at Michigan.

Me, too. County health department is notifying the public of possible exposure in our mall and a Meijer store on Sunday.

Michigan’s taken six games off their schedule through February 7th, including Purdue, back to back games against Michigan State (one was just inserted as a make-up from MSU’s pause), Rutgers, Minnesota and Maryland.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/24/21 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
An athlete brought the new variant back from the U.K., and it’s spreading.

Dang....and this athlete was allowed into the country with no quarantining or testing.... Shocked Have *we* learned nothing?

PostPosted: 01/24/21 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Dang....and this athlete was allowed into the country with no quarantining or testing.... Shocked Have *we* learned nothing?

She tested negative in the UK on 1/1, came back to the Ann Arbor area on 1/3, tested negative twice, then tested positive on 1/8. The variant wasn’t identified until 1/16 due to the additional sequencing done by the state lab.

An article on Tuesday said the health department had seven cases identified with her. The Daily source said five in the athletic department with another fifteen presumed positive.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/24/21 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so, uh, stupid question: if she had three negative tests on two continents, how are they so sure it's her?

(now with spelling variations)
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/24/21 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Cheeto issued a requirement for a negative test for all people traveling from the UK back on Dec 28th. Note that many other countries banned travel from the UK completely.

Queenie wrote:
so, uh, stupid question: if she had three negative tests on two continents, how are they so sure it's her?

She probably contracted the virus right before her UK test, and probably got her US tests within a few days later. This is one reason why the antigen test has a 20% false negative rate. This variant is of such concern that I would imagine the CDC and/or Mich Health Dept has done genetic analysis on the samples both from the player and the other cases associated with her.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/24/21 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From another board I'm on:

"On the afternoon of January 20th, the CDC and WHO suddenly released new rules to help prevent 'false positives', so there is now a much higher bar to clear in order to be deemed "Covid positive." It wouldn't surprise me if sports program members start showing much fewer positives and hopefully they can get a full season in."

So there's that. I'm wondering if a lot of the "asymptomatic" positives, such as JMU's coach had, were actually false positives. We'll never know.

PostPosted: 01/24/21 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
From another board I'm on:

"On the afternoon of January 20th, the CDC and WHO suddenly released new rules to help prevent 'false positives', so there is now a much higher bar to clear in order to be deemed "Covid positive." It wouldn't surprise me if sports program members start showing much fewer positives and hopefully they can get a full season in."

So there's that. I'm wondering if a lot of the "asymptomatic" positives, such as JMU's coach had, were actually false positives. We'll never know.

Antigen tests have both a high false positive and high false negative rate. Anyone with a positive test can have a PCR test done, which has a low false positive rate, to confirm the antigen test. I would bet your coach had a PCR done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: