RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Covid Cancellations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/12/21 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Villanova is the latest Big East team to pause due to Covid. Their next 3 games against UCONN, Providence and DePaul have been postponed.

Providence is now on pause, UCONN played them Saturday, so tomorrow's game against Seton Hall has been postponed. UCONN is probably not going to make the 13-game threshold. We have just been crushed by Covid pauses, from a game and quality of opponents standpoint.

They've played 7 and as long as the BE tournament happens they need only 3 more regular season games to qualify.

I thought they had to play 12 with the conference tournament counting as the 13th.

Anyway, I looked through as I was curious and I was quite surprised to see how many schools had only played 2, 3 or 4 games so far this year. There were several, with some of the schools of interest with low games played:

2 - St Louis and Georgetown
4 - St Joe's
5 - Florida State and Virginia (0-5 to boot)
6 - Tulsa, SMU, Dayton, Syracuse, Pitt, Ohio State, Oregon St, Vandy
7 - Kansas, UConn, Marquette, Seton Hall, Missouri

But man, if you were to look at the mid and low major leagues, it is crazy how many have played so few games over the month and a half since the season began.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/12/21 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Stanford still unable to return to campus? If so it has to be a pain living out of a suitcase for this long, sleeping in hotels. Do they have a base of operations or are they nomads? Has anyone reported on it's effect on the Trees' mental state?

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/12/21 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Is Stanford still unable to return to campus? If so it has to be a pain living out of a suitcase for this long, sleeping in hotels. Do they have a base of operations or are they nomads? Has anyone reported on it's effect on the Trees' mental state?

They are still nomads and cannot go into Santa Clara County without extended quarantine. The restrictions won't be changed until ICU capacity goes above 15%. Currently it's at 6%. TVD has said she is amazed at how well the team is handling it. My understanding is that they are going early and staying longer at their away games, but not sure where they are staying inbetween. They seem to be practicing at a variety of places wherever they can get access to gyms. And they, like all Stanford students, are attending school remotely.

And I haven't heard anything more about the three who were unable to play against Oregon because of 'tracing'.

- Amanda Gorman
insidewinder

PostPosted: 01/12/21 11:33 pm    ::: The three players who were out are back Reply Reply with quote

Tara said today in a fan Zoom thing that the players were back practicing so I assume the issue was contact tracing, not a positive for any of the players.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/13/21 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Villanova is the latest Big East team to pause due to Covid. Their next 3 games against UCONN, Providence and DePaul have been postponed.

Providence is now on pause, UCONN played them Saturday, so tomorrow's game against Seton Hall has been postponed. UCONN is probably not going to make the 13-game threshold. We have just been crushed by Covid pauses, from a game and quality of opponents standpoint.

They've played 7 and as long as the BE tournament happens they need only 3 more regular season games to qualify.

With the majority of the teams in the BE being in the NE and these states having the strictest COVID guidelines, the conference should've come up with a plan far before now to be in a "bubble" for January and February. If they'd followed "the science," it's been well known that January-mid February would be peak virus season. I mean, it's not like these kids have to be near campus at this point when classes resume. If they'd gone full bubble for 5-6 weeks from the start, this could all have been avoided. I realize that this is a $$$ issue, but this is just insane to me at this point.

I mean, college football teams have players testing positive and the teams are playing and the players are in quarantine only. I realize CFB drives the bus of college athletics, but isn't someone, somewhere being like, "uhhhhhh hey, hypocrites, a word."

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/13/21 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NC State still in protocols, and thus the game at Louisville is postponed, as per LaChina Robinson.

On one hand, I'm mildly freaked out; on the other hand, I was already freaking out at Louisville putting 5000 fans in the stands, so at least that's not happening.

(now with spelling variations)
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/13/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
linkster wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

With the majority of the teams in the BE being in the NE and these states having the strictest COVID guidelines, the conference should've come up with a plan far before now to be in a "bubble" for January and February. If they'd followed "the science," it's been well known that January-mid February would be peak virus season. I mean, it's not like these kids have to be near campus at this point when classes resume. If they'd gone full bubble for 5-6 weeks from the start, this could all have been avoided. I realize that this is a $$$ issue, but this is just insane to me at this point.

I mean, college football teams have players testing positive and the teams are playing and the players are in quarantine only. I realize CFB drives the bus of college athletics, but isn't someone, somewhere being like, "uhhhhhh hey, hypocrites, a word."

And Wisconsin has had horrendous numbers too so that doesn't help either. Truthfully I don't think the conference really cares about Women's Basketball and if they can fit in their season - figure they only care about Men's Basketball.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/14/21 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Virginia has decided to end their season now. They last played on December 13th:

https://richmond.com/sports/college/uva-womens-basketball-shuts-down-season-due-to-covid-19/article_70124b9c-7a98-5a11-87dd-44c7b5fa40ee.html

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/14/21 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still believe the Ivy League made the right decision.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/14/21 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://statenews.com/article/2021/01/michigan-state-womens-hoops-versus-illinois-postponed-for-covid-19

Michigan State is out tonight vs Illinois. Their men’s team is paused as well.

Michigan State is supposed to visit Michigan for a midday game on Monday, but no postponement has been announced for that one yet.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/14/21 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

San Jose State has called it for the season.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/14/21 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
San Jose State has called it for the season.

They're in the same county as Stanford and, as a state school, probably doesn't have the resources to stay on the road forever. Crying or Very sad

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/15/21 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State’s pause continues. Monday’s game at Michigan has been postponed.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/15/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers has postponed vs Indiana on Monday. This is the fourth missed game for the Scarlet Knights.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/17/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And here we go for the winless Cal Bears. Yesterday they announced their game today vs. Utah is cancelled due to COVID developments within their program. Today: https://twitter.com/CalWBBall/status/1350850382281363456

Quote:
Due to recent COVID-19 developments within our program, California’s games against USC, UCLA, Washington and Washington State have been postponed.

As we were discussing here, this kind of event could very well make Cal the next (Power-5) program to call it a season.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/17/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey, who returned to the sideline Saturday for the first time since Dec. 19, said she is feeling OK physically after having experienced COVID-19. But when asked if she is concerned about the season being completed amid a pandemic, she didn't mince words.

"The answer is this: The season will continue on. It's called the almighty dollar," Mulkey said after the Lady Bears lost 75-71 to Iowa State in Waco, Texas, ending the longest current home-court winning streak in Division I women's basketball at 61 games. "The NCAA has to have the almighty dollar from the men's tournament. The almighty dollar is more important than the health and welfare of me, the players or anybody else.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30727296/ncaa-season-goes-almighty-dollar-trumps-health

Besides Kim and Kara, how many other coaches have openly criticized the NCAA's decision to hold this season?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/18/21 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vandy opts out of the rest of the season.

https://vanderbilthustler.com/37533/featured/vanderbilt-womens-basketball-discontinues-2020-21-season/

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/18/21 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

https://vanderbilthustler.com/37533/featured/vanderbilt-womens-basketball-discontinues-2020-21-season/

Vandy has been on pause a fair amount this season and played yesterday with only 7 players due to Covid and injuries. Their opponent KY played with eight due to Covid considerations.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/19/21 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Vandy has been on pause a fair amount this season and played yesterday with only 7 players due to Covid and injuries. Their opponent KY played with eight due to Covid considerations.

I heard last night while watching the LSU-Mizzou game that Vandy has canceled the rest of their season. Might as well, they weren't getting anywhere and could hardly muster a full team at any time between Covid and injuries.

PostPosted: 01/20/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not Covid related, but Iowa vs Maryland scheduled for tomorrow, Jan 21, has been postponed.

Hawkeyes were concerned about traveling to DC in the midst of the Inauguration, so game will need to be played at some yet undetermined future date.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/20/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Not Covid related, but Iowa vs Maryland scheduled for tomorrow, Jan 21, has been postponed.

Hawkeyes were concerned about traveling to DC in the midst of the Inauguration, so game will need to be played at some yet undetermined future date.

Seriously? Rolling Eyes

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/20/21 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Seriously? Rolling Eyes

I think it was a bit of an over reaction by Iowa. Perhaps they didn’t appreciate that College Park is nowhere near the zone in DC shut down for safety. A charter into BWI airport outside Baltimore would mean a half hour (or so) bus ride to the Maryland campus. I’m sure it wouldn’t have been a problem, but maybe the news media in Iowa made it seem like traveling anywhere in the Greater Capital area would be putting your life at risk.😐

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/20/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was weird to watch the Marquette-Georgetown game today and hear them talk about it only being Georgetown's 5th game. Marquette was only their 3rd opponent this season as their first 4 games were against Butler and DePaul (home and away with both). They have been shut down a lot of the season due to Covid.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/20/21 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Seriously? Rolling Eyes

I think it was a bit of an over reaction by Iowa. Perhaps they didn’t appreciate that College Park is nowhere near the zone in DC shut down for safety. A charter into BWI airport outside Baltimore would mean a half hour (or so) bus ride to the Maryland campus. I’m sure it wouldn’t have been a problem, but maybe the news media in Iowa made it seem like traveling anywhere in the Greater Capital area would be putting your life at risk.😐

So now I learned more from a Wash Post article. Seems that Hawkeyes College Park hotel informed them that they would have to move to a different hotel because that one was needed to house National Guard troops.

Coach Bluder wasn’t happy about her team coming into a troop laden environment and obtained a postponement.

MD already has to try to make up a game vs OSU because of Covid in the Buckeyes program and Coach Frese is now concerned about how it’ll be possible to make up a 2nd postponed game.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/21/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, I get it, but couldn't that have been a very good teachable moment, not to mention witnessing history first hand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: