RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: 01/16/21 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been following the pac - 12 years although certainly not as closely as you play. For a long time, there have been six conferences that were a step above all the rest, with the power 5+ the Big East at times, but typically the pac-12 was at the bottom of that elite list with the top spot rotating among the big 12, Big Ten, Big East, SEC and ACC.

I used to joke that the pac-12 (years ago) was to top-tier teams, one of which was always Stanford and the other of which depending on the year, might be UCLA or USC or Arizona state or Cal, but definitely not either of the Washington's, either of the Oregon's or Arizona (I haven't paid a lot of attention to the history of Utah or Colorado). That all changed with the ascendancy of Oregon, Oregon State and Washington, each of which can largely be attributed to a particular coach. Now, even the teams that had been wandering the desert for some time, Arizona and Washington state have exciting new coaches and they are joining the top-tier teams. The good news for the conference is other than Cal's woes, the great teams are staying great, the good teams are getting better and most of the mediocre teams are getting good, so I don't see much question that the pac 12 is THE conference. It doesn't hurt that the style of play is often exciting.

The biggest challenge for me on the East Coast is that games are often late but they are good enough that I'm recording some and watching them the next day.

I've heard that some of the improvement in the pack 12 has to do with Tara challenging the other schools to step up. Any truth to that?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/18/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New AP Poll out.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30736301/louisville-cardinals-no-1-women-basketball-ap-top-25-1st

Louisville #1
Stanford #5

Washington State and Texas out.
Iowa State and Georgia in.

Baylor somehow in the Top 10 despite losing again and not beating a single team with a pulse all season.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/18/21 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, how do the conferences fare in the week 9 poll?

Giving 25 points for the #1 ranking down to one point for the #25 ranking, the conferences' total points are below. (The numbers in parentheses are the conferences' total points in the prior week poll.)

SEC = 22+18+14+11+7+4+1 = 77 (78)

P12 = 21+20+16+13 = 70 (75)

B10 = 19+15+10+9+5 = 58 (53)

ACC = 25+24+3 = 52 (49)

BEC = 23+8 = 31 (29)

B12 = 17+2 = 19 (25)

AAC = 12 (10)

WCC = 6 (6)
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/18/21 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The SEC is perennially over-rated IMHO Laughing

For Stanford, we are best as an underdog, so go Trees! Now there is something to prove!

- Amanda Gorman
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/18/21 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bummer about Washington State only lasting a week. 2 overtime losses by a total of 6 points to #8 UCLA and an underrated USC is a rough way to get knocked out. They are definitely a Top 25 team still, IMO.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/18/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
underrated USC

They lost yesterday at home to a 3-5 UC-Riverside team. USC is now 6-6 overall. Underrated?

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/18/21 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
underrated USC

They lost yesterday at home to a 3-5 UC-Riverside team. USC is now 6-6 overall. Underrated?

Oh I didn't see that. But to be fair those 5 losses came against ASU, Arizona (by 1), Stanford, UCLA and Oregon, so the record is a little misleading. But yeah, that loss is definitely damning. I'm not sure how that happened, they looked pretty good against WSU.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/18/21 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

For Stanford, we are best as an underdog, so go Trees! Now there is something to prove!

I got dizzy from the spinning. Very Happy

So defeat is victory? Sounds like Newspeak.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/18/21 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I got dizzy from the spinning. Very Happy

So defeat is victory? Sounds like Newspeak.

#fake news Laughing

well personally I never liked that #1 rating. It was pretty inevitable we would lose a game in the P12. I didn't expect it to be Colorado, but hey, you get what you get, and then move on. Teaching moment for TVD!

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/18/21 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#11 is Michigan’s highest ranking in the history of the program.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/18/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ouch! Kinda harsh for the Cards to go all the way to 5...
BTW,..can wbb fans have two teams? Can Stanford be my other team? Wink

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/19/21 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

Have as many teams as you want; just bear in mind that sometimes it can be... complicated. Don't be like me. Don't have multiple teams in the same conference, and don't end up with so many teams you need a spreadsheet to figure out what games you're watching.

PostPosted: 01/19/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

you're definitely welcome to root for the Trees. We need lots of help and positivity!

The reason we dropped that far was because it was a 'bad' loss. If it had been to Arizona or UCLA maybe not as bad.

- Amanda Gorman
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 01/20/21 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are several programs that I’ve followed and rooted for for most of my adult life. Obviously, one program above the rest for the past three years, and the next 15 months, but then I can publicly cheer for other teams after that!

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/20/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
There are several programs that I’ve followed and rooted for for most of my adult life. Obviously, one program above the rest for the past three years, and the next 15 months, but then I can publicly cheer for other teams after that!

Yeah, I root for a bunch of teams...just as long as they're not playing 'my' team. Sometimes it changes over time because of particular players. It's one of the things I liked about the fantasy game because you find players/teams that aren't necessarily P5. It's like now I root for UT Martin because of Chelsea Perry.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/20/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

Yeah, I root for a bunch of teams...just as long as they're not playing 'my' team. Sometimes it changes over time because of particular players. It's one of the things I liked about the fantasy game because you find players/teams that aren't necessarily P5. It's like now I root for UT Martin because of Chelsea Perry.

I'm the same, except I don't do the fantasy game thing. I've followed Tennessee from the beginning, literally, and JMU since I moved here. Wisconsin because it's my alma mater, and some other teams off and on, sometimes because of individual players and sometimes for other reasons.

PostPosted: 01/20/21 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's one of the better perks here at Reb's....fans of different schools share their feelings/insights/etc., as opposed to a particular "Fan Board" of a school.

My FIRST fandom was actually for Stanford (do NOT tell Murdle this Razz ) I started following them back in the Brooke Smith days. Stanford was the key factor in drawing me to my first FF experience, 2011 in Indy.

I was also a fan of Oklahoma for many years -- starting with the Courtney Paris era -- but have given up on them, not so much cuz of their win/loss decline, but for the background circumstances & player exodus that have led to that.

My heart is now with Oregon. I followed them a bit as a Pac 12 fan, back in the Paul Westhead days. Then, along comes Kelly Graves. He's one of the wbb coaches I most admire; I liked his profile at Gonzaga. Of course, Sabrina & Co. helped the fervor, too. Meeting them all at a game in Syracuse in '19 was a real highlight for me....He and the kids were absolutely awesome!

It'd be great to have a local team, but my choices (in DI) are Bucknell, Lehigh, Delaware, or Towson....all 'driveable' but not that interesting.

PostPosted: 01/25/21 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=10

Louisville still #1

UCLA up to #5

Tennessee up to #20

Arkansas down to #19

West Virginia & South Dakota State in
Syracuse & Iowa State out

PostPosted: 01/25/21 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do the conferences fare in the week 10 poll?

Giving 25 points for the #1 ranking down to one point for the #25 ranking, the conferences' total points are below. (The numbers in parentheses are the conferences' total points in the prior two weeks' polls.)

SEC = 22+18+11+7+6+5+4 = 73 (77) (78)

P12 = 21+20+16+15 = 72 (70) (75)

B10 = 19+14+12+10+3 = 58 (58) (53)

ACC = 25+24 = 49 (52) (49)

BEC = 23+9 = 32 (31) (29)

B12 = 17+2 = 19 (19) (25)

AAC = 13 (12) (10)

WCC = 8 (6) (6)

SUM = 1
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/25/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

It'd be great to have a local team, but my choices (in DI) are Bucknell, Lehigh, Delaware, or Towson....all 'driveable' but not that interesting.

I've watched some Bucknell games over the past few years and found them to be quite entertaining. It's a different level league so there's less pure athleticism but still good execution and they always seem to some players with quite a bit of skill. Every one of the 'minor' leagues seem to have their own characteristics but I've quite enjoyed the better Patriot and CAA teams...so don't write them off simply because they're not P5. Both Bucknell and Lehigh are traditionally pretty strong in their league. Patriot leagues seem to have all their games online free so you might check some out. Once you get to know some of the players, they may grow on you. JMO

- Amanda Gorman
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/25/21 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Ohhhh, someday when we're allowed to go indoors with strangers again, you've *gotta* do a Lehigh-Lafayette game, that rivalry is *intense*. We went out there once, many years ago. It was the first time I'd ever seen the road team bring the cheer squad and the mascot with them.

Towson's facilities are really nice, and if you're driving, you probably won't get given terrible directions that put you off at the wrong end of campus, and they're *probably* done with the construction work, so you won't end up creeping along a narrow path in the dark that could pitch you into a ravine with one wrong step! (yes I still have flashbacks to that utterly insane road trip thank you for asking)

PostPosted: 01/26/21 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Howee wrote:

Ohhhh, someday when we're allowed to go indoors with strangers again, you've *gotta* do a Lehigh-Lafayette game, that rivalry is *intense*. We went out there once, many years ago. It was the first time I'd ever seen the road team bring the cheer squad and the mascot with them.

Towson's facilities are really nice, and if you're driving, you probably won't get given terrible directions that put you off at the wrong end of campus, and they're *probably* done with the construction work, so you won't end up creeping along a narrow path in the dark that could pitch you into a ravine with one wrong step! (yes I still have flashbacks to that utterly insane road trip thank you for asking)

Lehigh has a guard named Clair Steele, who played at Miramonte in Northern California. I coached her for three years, and she doesn't look like a player at all. Short, slightly stocky, but she'd kill to win -- and she can shoot it.

If anybody sees Lehigh play, I'd love to get a report.

PostPosted: 01/26/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Howee wrote:

Lehigh has a guard named Clair Steele, who played at Miramonte in Northern California. I coached her for three years, and she doesn't look like a player at all. Short, slightly stocky, but she'd kill to win -- and she can shoot it.

If anybody sees Lehigh play, I'd love to get a report.

Most of the Patriot League games are on ESPN+, if you have that.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/01/21 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=11

Louisville still #1

South Carolina up to #2

Ohio State up to #11

Georgia down to #25

Same 25 teams as last week

PostPosted: 02/01/21 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmmm. NC State loses 1 game, without their key center. UConn loses a game (albeit to a ranked opponent). One team drops 2 spots. One doesn't move at all. Evil or Very Mad

Hmmmmmmmm. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: