RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What's next for the Dream after Loeffler's Senate loss?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Loeffler still be a Dream co-owner by the time the 2021 season starts up?
Yes
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
No
61%
 61%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 31

Randy

PostPosted: 01/10/21 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politics-blog/inside-the-runoff-flips-how-ossoff-and-warnock-pulled-off-epic-victories/HMGWMOCWSRBFFN25UBBIZMNEAY/

Good article explain how Warnock and Ossoff won, along with why Loeffler lost.

craigmont

PostPosted: 01/16/21 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/by-backing-raphael-warnock-against-kelly-loeffler-sue-bird-and-the-wnba-helped-flip-the-senate/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=owned_echobox_sports&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1610836752

Last edited by craigmont on 01/19/21 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/17/21 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont--Thanks for posting this link. I've edited my post based on Richyy's statement below, which I agree with.

Loeffler's strategy of using her opposition to the WNBA players to boost her candidacy didn't work so well, did it? Smile

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 01/17/21 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 01/17/21 3:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"... Loeffler, the Atlanta Dream co-owner who had been a vocal critic of the league’s stance on racial justice and equality last summer"

That seems like a mischaracterization of the league's stance and what Loeffler was opposing.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/17/21 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we please not copy and paste entire articles? More than ever websites and journalists survive via hits/ad-views, and that one's not even behind a paywall. Plus going to these places shows that there's interest in articles on women's basketball, which leads to more coverage. Reproducing it in full is also kinda illegal.

PostPosted: 01/17/21 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Can we please not copy and paste entire articles? More than ever websites and journalists survive via hits/ad-views, and that one's not even behind a paywall. Plus going to these places shows that there's interest in articles on women's basketball, which leads to more coverage. Reproducing it in full is also kinda illegal.

Sorry I didn't see this problem myself. I agree on all counts. Thanks, Richyyy, for this valuable statement.

PostPosted: 01/17/21 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politics-blog/ossoff-warnock-likely-to-be-sworn-in-before-senate-impeachment-trial/PRMLEP6F6NGTPCDXUBYA3LVVIM/

This Jan. 14 article from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says it's expected that Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff will take the oath of office in Washington, D.C., around the time of the Biden/Harris inauguration on Wednesday. Thus they should both be in the U.S. Senate when the expected impeachment trial of Donald Trump begins.

What a great day it will be for the WNBA players and for many of us when Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff officially enter the U.S. Senate while David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler go... wherever. Smile

PostPosted: 01/18/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perdue is already gone. His term was up before the runoff. I think Loeffler is finished as far as running for office. I would not be surprised to see Perdue run against Warnock in 2022.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/18/21 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Perdue is already gone. His term was up before the runoff. I think Loeffler is finished as far as running for office. I would not be surprised to see Perdue run against Warnock in 2022.

Perdue would surely be a formidable candidate. In November he won slightly more votes in Georgia than Trump. When the 2022 election takes place, Perdue will be almost 73 years old. Perhaps he won't feel eager for another electoral battle.

Obviously 2022 will be a year in which the WNBA players and their supporters will need to work hard to reelect Raphael Warnock.

I agree with you about Loeffler. Good riddance. Hoping she's gone soon from the WNBA.

PostPosted: 01/18/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how the Dream’s free agency is going. Unless there’s currently a behind-the-scenes ownership change happening à la Las Vegas, Loeffler in all likelihood will still be a co-owner through the crucial first several days of free agency.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/18/21 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Unless there’s currently a behind-the-scenes ownership change happening à la Las Vegas,

UPDATE: Things are in fact happening behind the scenes. Mary Brock, the other Dream co-owner, is apparently in the process of selling her stake.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/18/kelly-loeffler-wnba-dream-mlk/

Quote:
A spokesperson for the NBA, the parent company of the WNBA, confided to me recently that the league expected Loeffler to be out of its ranks soon. The other Dream co-owner, Mary Brock, was expected to sell her half share.

“We understand a sale of the franchise is close to being finalized,” the spokesperson texted me. “Once the sale negotiation is concluded, additional information will be provided.”

That action does not, however, require Loeffler to sell her share. Which is why the league should act.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/18/21 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, Stormeo, for posting that great column by Keith Blackistone for the Washington Post.

PostPosted: 01/18/21 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I the only mildly alarmed that Brock is selling *before* Loeffler? Unless the new owner is rock-solid on an unprecedented level, that creates an unknown Atlanta doesn't need on top of Loeffler.

PostPosted: 01/18/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am only guessing, but if Loeffler sold out to Brock, there might be no rush to get new owners in. Brock might be afraid she would be left holding the bag if the new owners just evaporate. Loeffler is the radioactive party - the one the WNBA will pay to get lost.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/18/21 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am very skeptical of the rumors that Brock may be selling before Loeffler. Hard to imagine anyone wanting to buy Brock's half of the team and be stuck with Loeffler as co-owner. My guess: if there's anyone seriously interested and ready to make a move, they will want to buy out Brock and Loeffler simultaneously.

PostPosted: 01/18/21 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Thanks, Stormeo, for posting that great column by Keith Blackistone for the Washington Post.

It was toad455 who posted it on WBBDaily! That’s where I saw it from first. He is always on top of things (more than me anyway!). Smile

Queenie wrote:
Am I the only mildly alarmed that Brock is selling *before* Loeffler? Unless the new owner is rock-solid on an unprecedented level, that creates an unknown Atlanta doesn't need on top of Loeffler.

My guess was, this was a precursor to the League being able to force Loeffler’s hand. Loeffler can either deal with whoever Brock is selling her stake to (not likely), sell her share as well, or it could be the only way the League can force Loeffler out without forcing Brock out too (maybe as soon as Brock sells her share, the League simultaneously bans Loeffler?). Though admittedly that concept doesn’t seem to make any sense. Laughing

Randy said he once read in the local papers that Brock owned 51% of the team & Loeffler owned the other 49%. Better than the other way around, at this point!

craigmont

PostPosted: 01/19/21 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Okay, edited.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/19/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

It was toad455 who posted it on WBBDaily! That’s where I saw it from first. He is always on top of things (more than me anyway!). Smile

Queenie wrote:

My guess was, this was a precursor to the League being able to force Loeffler’s hand. Loeffler can either deal with whoever Brock is selling her stake to (not likely), sell her share as well, or it could be the only way the League can force Loeffler out without forcing Brock out too (maybe as soon as Brock sells her share, the League simultaneously bans Loeffler?). Though admittedly that concept doesn’t seem to make any sense. Laughing

Randy said he once read in the local papers that Brock owned 51% of the team & Loeffler owned the other 49%. Better than the other way around, at this point!

As Bob Lamm pointed out the reporting could have the facts muddled a bit. Or it could be that disagreements between Brock and Loeffler got the sale of Brocks ownership to Loeffler started and they want to get that done first. It is not hard to imagine that Loeffler and Brock may have disagreed on the matters related to the team since the controversy blew up last summer. Perhaps Brock just didn't want to be associated with Loeffler anymore.

Meanwhile, Loeffler made her farewell speech to the Senate today and Warnock is slated to take office tomorrow shortly after Biden is sworn in.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/19/21 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
As Bob Lamm pointed out the reporting could have the facts muddled a bit. Or it could be that disagreements between Brock and Loeffler got the sale of Brocks ownership to Loeffler started and they want to get that done first. It is not hard to imagine that Loeffler and Brock may have disagreed on the matters related to the team since the controversy blew up last summer. Perhaps Brock just didn't want to be associated with Loeffler anymore.

Meanwhile, Loeffler made her farewell speech to the Senate today and Warnock is slated to take office tomorrow shortly after Biden is sworn in.

"... the sale of Brock's ownership to Loeffler...." Is that what you meant to say? I haven't seen that in any article. I find it hard to believe that Loeffler is buying out Brock unless Loeffler already has someone immediately willing to buy the 100% once Loeffler controls it.

I can't imagine how anyone would just buy out Brock's 51% if Loeffler still has the other 49%. What will the Atlanta players do if they are about to have their first home game in May and Loeffler still owns 49%? I'm not aware of any time in any U.S. professional sports when players have demonstrated in their home arena against their owner. Could be a remarkable first!

Meanwhile, I seem to have missed Loeffler's farewell address today. If anyone has access to a video of her remarks. please don't post them. Smile

PostPosted: 01/19/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK Bob no video, but here is story about it from "the media."

https://www.ajc.com/politics/loeffler-describe-senate-tenure-as-honor-of-my-lifetime-in-farewell-speech/MOJAKJA6JVHPBA4QLWRFANB5KM/

Quote:
In it, she described herself as a champion of conservative values who strived to put Georgia and Georgians first. But she also carried over grievances from her failed runoff campaign, including anger at the media and claims that she had been victimized by “cancel culture.”

I had no idea there was something called the cancel culture, but I'm guessing fans and players that want her out of the WNBA are in it. And of course, what farewell speech would be complete without blaming the "media" for printing the things she said. If only we had a state run media everything would be just fine....

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/19/21 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just for you, Randy, I read the news story from the horrible "media." But I am NOT going to watch the attached video of Kelly Loeffler's farewell remarks. Smile

She calls herself a victim of the "cancel culture." Hey, Kelly, here's how this works. The United States and many other countries have this thing called elections. You were appointed, quite legally, to the U.S. Senate. Then you had to run in an election to win the final two years of that Senate term. The voters CANCELED you, just as they canceled David Perdue and Donald Trump. Didn't Georgia voters have the right to do that?

Also, Kelly, when you say you strived to put Georgia and Georgians first... wasn't that sentence supposed to have the word WHITE in it?

And, finally, Kelly, when you congratulate your successor but won't say his name, that vividly demonstrates one more time what a phony you are. Not even a principled conservative, just an opportunist who would swing whatever way the wind blows.

Hooray again for the WNBA players whose leadership was crucial in electing Raphael Warnock instead of Kelly Loeffler. How can we CANCEL Kelly as a WNBA owner? Smile

PostPosted: 01/19/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently, the team is about to be sold:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/wnbas-atlanta-dream-on-verge-of-being-sold/IVEZT3CR6BAFHCNGWXMHNR3SJ4/

Randy

PostPosted: 01/19/21 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that Ed. No mention of the confusing part about Loeffler buying out Brock.

Says the team lost about $2 million per year for the last 2 seasons. I guess the Gateway arena should cost a lot less than State Farm, but salaries have gone up. If the new owners are LeBron's group - they seem able to afford it.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/19/21 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that 2 teams are being sold in the same off season. I guess it's kind of a good sign that they've been able to find two prospective buyers in the same season. Although the circumstances are pretty different.

Will be really interesting to see who the owner will be.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/19/21 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/30744823/atlanta-dream-sale-close-being-finalized-wnba-says

This article states 5 bidders for the team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: