RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Men's Tourney in one place, Women's to follow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/16/20 1:49 pm    ::: Men's Tourney in one place, Women's to follow? Reply Reply with quote

From NCAA.com

INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee announced today the relocation of 13 predetermined preliminary round sites for the 2021 Division I Men’s Basketball Championship.

In recent weeks, the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee has engaged in a thorough contingency planning process to determine the most effective way to conduct a safe and healthy March Madness for all participants for the 2021 championship. Through these discussions, it became apparent to the committee that conducting the championship at 13 preliminary round sites spread throughout the country would be very difficult to execute in the current pandemic environment. The committee has decided the championship should be held in a single geographic area to enhance the safety and well-being of the event.

As a result, NCAA staff are in preliminary talks with the State of Indiana and the city of Indianapolis to potentially host the 68-team tournament around the metropolitan area during the coordinated dates in March and April.  Indianapolis was already slated to host the Men’s Final Four from April 3-5, 2021.  

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/16/20 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just saw that and wondered the same thing. I'm wondering if they may decide to play one tournament after the other. Or, seeing as the women's event doesn't bring in nearly the same revenue as the men's, do they do it in smaller venues?

SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/16/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I just saw that and wondered the same thing. I'm wondering if they may decide to play one tournament after the other. Or, seeing as the women's event doesn't bring in nearly the same revenue as the men's, do they do it in smaller venues?

Fort Wayne for women's! Indy for men's! One can dream, right?

NFL1

PostPosted: 11/20/20 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

I really hope we get to still go somewhere south if fans are allowed...if not, they can play anywhere... how about the bubble where the WNBA played for the tourney?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/14/20 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today the NCAA announced that the women's NCAA Tournament will be held in a single location, most likely San Antonio, which is the site for this year's Final Four.

NFL1

PostPosted: 12/14/20 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are the men allowing fans, or just the players like WNBA/NBA?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/14/20 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NFL1 wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, that has not been determined as of yet. My guess is that won't be made clear until a little closer to the tourney given the outbreak we are seeing at the current moment.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/14/20 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Today the NCAA announced that the women's NCAA Tournament will be held in a single location, most likely San Antonio, which is the site for this year's Final Four.

I went to the 2002 Women's Final 4 in San Antonio and really enjoyed it. That was my first time visiting there - loved the River Walk - the team band pep rallies along the river walk were fun to watch too.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/15/20 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
NFL1 wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, that has not been determined as of yet. My guess is that won't be made clear until a little closer to the tourney given the outbreak we are seeing at the current moment.

I'm really hoping that we will be on the upswing by late March/early April. You have to think that SA was a clear frontrunner because of the weather and the virus not being as prevalent in warmer climates. I would think the NCAA would want some fans if they can, but just as safely as possible.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/15/20 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree completely...the riverwalk is really awesome (don't drink too much and fall in...I witnessed that lol). San Antonio is a great city and I'm sure the NCAA would like to get some fans there for sure. I too am hopeful for a change in the direction of the covid cases. I guess we shall see how this vaccine works.

NFL1

PostPosted: 12/16/20 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Agree completely...the riverwalk is really awesome (don't drink too much and fall in...I witnessed that lol). San Antonio is a great city and I'm sure the NCAA would like to get some fans there for sure. I too am hopeful for a change in the direction of the covid cases. I guess we shall see how this vaccine works.

Are schools that are playing allowing fans in a distanced way? I work at an Ivy which cancelled all winter sports, and there's local D3 who I don't think are playing, but I could be wrong. I heard from a season ticket holder that Syracuse was not allowing any fans this season, so was curious about teams in other states outside of NY?

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/16/20 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big Ten conference policy is no fans, if I read Michigan's schedule correctly. Seton Hall also has no fan attendance, and I believe that holds true for New Jersey in general.

Watching other games, there were fans in attendance at South Dakota State and at Baylor, but I don't think there were any at Pacific.

PostPosted: 12/16/20 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Big Ten conference policy is no fans, if I read Michigan's schedule correctly. Seton Hall also has no fan attendance, and I believe that holds true for New Jersey in general.

Watching other games, there were fans in attendance at South Dakota State and at Baylor, but I don't think there were any at Pacific.

Marquette has decided not to allow fans for the rest of 2002 for now - have a feeling it will end up being that way all season. There have been a small amount of fans at some of their road games though.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/04/21 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of the details for the men's tourney that will be held in Indiana.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2021/01/04/2021-march-madness-played-entirely-indianapolis/4126938001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/04/21 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they have a good shot at pulling this off. I had a feeling they would put at least a 2nd court in Lucas Oil Stadium with the fan limitations that will surely be in place. That place has plenty of room for 2 floors. I figured they would use Bankers Life Fieldhouse along Hinkle Fieldhouse and Indiana Farmers Coliseum. I didn't see them playing games in Mackey Arena or Assembly Hall. I figured they may use the Univ of Indianapolis and possibly Ball State. Interesting.

Using the Convention Center for practices will be a huge help as well, esp if they are able to configure it with 20 courts.

I do feel like this kind of setup will give the NCAA the best chance at having the NCAA Tournament go as smooth as it possibly can given the global pandemic issues we are facing.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/04/21 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I think they have a good shot at pulling this off. I had a feeling they would put at least a 2nd court in Lucas Oil Stadium with the fan limitations that will surely be in place. That place has plenty of room for 2 floors. I figured they would use Bankers Life Fieldhouse along Hinkle Fieldhouse and Indiana Farmers Coliseum. I didn't see them playing games in Mackey Arena or Assembly Hall. I figured they may use the Univ of Indianapolis and possibly Ball State. Interesting.

Using the Convention Center for practices will be a huge help as well, esp if they are able to configure it with 20 courts.

I do feel like this kind of setup will give the NCAA the best chance at having the NCAA Tournament go as smooth as it possibly can given the global pandemic issues we are facing.

I loved watching games at Hinkle Fieldhouse. I also loved their 40's style urinals and sinks as well, you really feel like you're in the Hoosier movie-era days!

SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/17/21 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they consider fans for vaccinated people! I just got my first dose and will get the second one early next month. Of course it's selfish thinking, but also I'm sure there would be a good amount of people who would buy tickets that would have the vax by then. Of course, I'd want there to still be masks and social distancing! The last Final Four I went to I was sandwiched between two strangers - cheek to cheek. I felt the vibration when one farted, ugh!

calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/17/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
I hope they consider fans for vaccinated people! I just got my first dose and will get the second one early next month. Of course it's selfish thinking, but also I'm sure there would be a good amount of people who would buy tickets that would have the vax by then. Of course, I'd want there to still be masks and social distancing! The last Final Four I went to I was sandwiched between two strangers - cheek to cheek. I felt the vibration when one farted, ugh!

Generally when I sit both cheeks are on the seat cushion Very Happy Very Happy

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/17/21 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations, SDHoops, on getting urinals, sinks, butt cheeks, farting, and diseases into a short tournament thread. More impressive than a triple double.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/17/21 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Congratulations, SDHoops, on getting urinals, sinks, butt cheeks, farting, and diseases into a short tournament thread. More impressive than a triple double.

Embarassed Embarassed

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/18/21 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

ROTFLMAO

PostPosted: 01/19/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is some more information on the 2021 NCAA tournament.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2021/01/19/ncaa-plan-womens-tournament-bracket-san-antonio/4213899001/

As a Cal fan what caught my eye was that teams with a losing record are still eligible for an at-large berth. We've got that in spades Very Happy Very Happy

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/08/21 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, entire women's tourney will be in San Antonio.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/19/21 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Men's tourney to get 25% fan capacity.

https://www.wishtv.com/sports/college-basketball/ncaa-to-allow-some-fans-at-march-madness-games/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: