RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Player of the Year (So Far)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who Would Win Player of the Year today?
Paige Bueckers, UConn
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Nia Cooke, South Carolina
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Elissa Cunane, NC State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dana Evans, Louisville
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
29%
 29%  [ 10 ]
Haley Jones, Stanford
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
Aari McDonald, Arizona
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Ashley Owusu, Maryland
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
NaLyssa Smith, Baylor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Someone Else
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 34

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/05/21 7:21 pm    ::: Player of the Year (So Far) Reply Reply with quote

These are, IMO, the ten players that would be named to the All-America team as of now. Who do you think would win PoY?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/05/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Owusu has a lot of challengers for B1G POY. I don’t see her as top 10 in the country yet.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/05/21 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think her numbers are too sustainable, but Charli Collier is still averaging 23.4 PPG on 57% FG along with 10.7 RPG. Absolutely a POY candidate – at least at this point in time. Another candidate whose statistical sustainability is in question but may still turn out ok in the end would be Caitlin Clark.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 01/05/21 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Charli Collier belonging on this list. I do not think that Paige Bueckers belongs yet. Yes, she is good, but she is on a team that is stacked with good, and I don’t think that she will have the impact yet.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/05/21 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To touch on both comments, this was done on kind of a best-player-on-the-best-team basis. I didn't really look outside the top 15. Putting up huge stats on middling teams usually leaves one relegated to 3rd Team/HM. If Texas continues to accend, yes Collier should be there. The Big Ten has a lot of good players, yes, but Owusu is currently the best player on the best team. Honestly, if I would have done 2 more options they would have been Collier and Naz Hillmon. Should have, lol.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/05/21 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
I agree with Charli Collier belonging on this list. I do not think that Paige Bueckers belongs yet. Yes, she is good, but she is on a team that is stacked with good, and I don’t think that she will have the impact yet.

I'd have to agree on that....let's see something resembling a full season first, and see what her stats are like. She might well be, but *yet* is the operative word there.

I haven't been following SC too closely, but....isn't Boston in that mix, yet? And is Haley Jones Stanford's best?

PostPosted: 01/05/21 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

I haven't been following SC too closely, but....isn't Boston in that mix, yet? And is Haley Jones Stanford's best?

IMO Boston really hasn't performed up to last year's standards yet.
I think Jones is our best, but she will be hampered in terms of national honors because of the way Stanford plays - they play very unselfish ball, which is good for w/l, but not for personal glory.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/06/21 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen enough of any of these to make a prediction. I can only make one in the conference I follow most closely. I'm thinking CAA POY will be Towson's Kionna Jeter and ROY will be JMU's Peyton McDaniel. I could be way off.

The only one of the above players I've seen much of is Howard, and only twice. She had one good game and one off one.

PostPosted: 01/06/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Haley Jones Leading the #1 team in PPG , Rebounds & Assists. She's my POY so far , Howard in a close 2nd then Collier.

PostPosted: 01/06/21 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No freshman has ever won the Naismith College Player of the Year on the women’s side, and only 4 sophomores have done it: Cheryl Miller, Clarissa Davis, Maya Moore, and Breanna Stewart.

With the even older Wade Trophy, again no freshman has ever won the award and only one sophomore, Maya Moore (only three time winner), has ever won the award. In 2014, Odyssey Sims disrupted Breanna Stewart’s attempt to match Maya.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GEF34

PostPosted: 01/06/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
No freshman has ever won the Naismith College Player of the Year on the women’s side, and only 4 sophomores have done it: Cheryl Miller, Clarissa Davis, Maya Moore, and Breanna Stewart.

With the even older Wade Trophy, again no freshman has ever won the award and only one sophomore, Maya Moore (only three time winner), has ever won the award. In 2014, Odyssey Sims disrupted Breanna Stewart’s attempt to match Maya.

It should be noted that for many years the Wade Trophy was awarded to the best senior, so not everyone was always eligible, and I believe for a while the Naismith Award (I might be mixing up awards) was only awarded to a Sophomore, Junior or Senior, so again not everyone was eligible. Of course that doesn’t mean a freshmen or another underclass player would have won had they been eligible, but it’s certainly possible. And it’s a bit misleading to say no freshmen has ever won when they couldn’t based on the rules not their play on the court.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/06/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

It should be noted that for many years the Wade Trophy was awarded to the best senior, so not everyone was always eligible, and I believe for a while the Naismith Award (I might be mixing up awards) was only awarded to a Sophomore, Junior or Senior, so again not everyone was eligible. Of course that doesn’t mean a freshmen or another underclass player would have won had they been eligible, but it’s certainly possible. And it’s a bit misleading to say no freshmen has ever won when they couldn’t based on the rules not their play on the court.

It was? Nancy Lieberman won the award as a Junior in just its second year. It did have a 17 year run of senior winners, so maybe it has reclassified a couple times?

Interesting caveat...Cheryl Miller and Diana Taurasi both won the award as Juniors before being beaten out by Kamie Ethridge and Alana Beard, respectively.

willtalk

PostPosted: 01/07/21 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
To touch on both comments, this was done on kind of a best-player-on-the-best-team basis. I didn't really look outside the top 15. Putting up huge stats on middling teams usually leaves one relegated to 3rd Team/HM. If Texas continues to accend, yes Collier should be there. The Big Ten has a lot of good players, yes, but Owusu is currently the best player on the best team. Honestly, if I would have done 2 more options they would have been Collier and Naz Hillmon. Should have, lol.
It is more telling the teams you put up those stats against than the team you are playing for. It is assumed that the top teams play tough schedules except this year that means nothing.

PostPosted: 01/07/21 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige doesn't belong? Leading in multiple categories on a top 5 team? I'm not saying she's the POTY by any means, but she's definitely in a discussion. Hatin'...! Twisted Evil As a matter of fact, why is Caitlin Clark being ignored?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/07/21 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Paige doesn't belong? Leading in multiple categories on a top 5 team? I'm not saying she's the POTY by any means, but she's definitely in a discussion. Hatin'...! Twisted Evil As a matter of fact, why is Caitlin Clark being ignored?

PB and Clark have dominated this year so far , but they haven't really played the level of Talent that Jones & Howard have and will as the season continues. Clark is absolutely insane she gives me Alley Quigley Chills ! PB is the Next DT im convinced .

PostPosted: 01/07/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to the votes as of this moment, the first team AA will be Pistol Paige, Rhyne Howard, Haley Jones, Michaela Onyenwere, and Someone Else.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/07/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

PB and Clark have dominated this year so far , but they haven't really played the level of Talent that Jones & Howard have and will as the season continues. Clark is absolutely insane she gives me Alley Quigley Chills ! PB is the Next DT im convinced .

At this point, teams are just playing whoever they can when they can. If you ask Geno, for instance, he would've loved to have the Baylor, Louisville, and MS State under his belt. I can't speak for Iowa but I'm sure they had some games switched around as well.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/07/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

It was? Nancy Lieberman won the award as a Junior in just its second year. It did have a 17 year run of senior winners, so maybe it has reclassified a couple times?

Interesting caveat...Cheryl Miller and Diana Taurasi both won the award as Juniors before being beaten out by Kamie Ethridge and Alana Beard, respectively.

I can’t find the years, but from what I remember it was only for a short period of time, like 10 years. Also freshmen are not eligible for the Wade Trophy which is why a freshmen has never won it in the past and will not ever win it (unless the rules change of course).

https://wbca.org/recognize/player-awards/wade-trophy

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/10/21 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What happened to Collier and Texas today? She only took 2 shots?!?!

SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/10/21 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
What happened to Collier and Texas today? She only took 2 shots?!?!

Christyn Williams took 0 shots for UConn yesterday! Must've been a Space Jam Monstars moment for the Class of 2022

linkster

PostPosted: 01/10/21 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can agree that it is too early to include Bueckers. She needs to perform against better players.

In the U19's in 2019 the US won the gold. Howard was the leading scorer. The team included Boston,Van Lith, Joens, Clark, Brink, Q Egbo & Belibi. Bueckers won the MVP award.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/11/21 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on everything I know about the media's relationship with the Huskies, I can best express my thoughts about Bueckers in a math equasion.

A = B

Whereas:
A = UConn's Best Player
and
B = All-American

So yeah, there's no way in hell UConn's best player isn't voted as an All-American.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/11/21 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Based on everything I know about the media's relationship with the Huskies, I can best express my thoughts about Bueckers in a math equasion.

A = B

Whereas:
A = UConn's Best Player
and
B = All-American

So yeah, there's no way in hell UConn's best player isn't voted as an All-American.

She's not a top 5 player YET to me. Im waiting for UCONN to play a suitable opponent and watch her perform before i peg her as that. Its not her fault though both UCONN big games have been cancelled. LV and Baylor. She will need to play the way shes been playing against Tenn and SC along with the Big East tourney for me to even consider her AA. Remember the nations 2nd leading scorer and now the nations Front runner for POY DID NOT MAKE AA last season. Smh #Disgraceful

PostPosted: 01/12/21 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

A = B

Whereas:
A = UConn's Best Player
and
B = All-American

She's not a top 5 player YET to me. Im waiting for UCONN to play a suitable opponent and watch her perform before i peg her as that. Its not her fault though both UCONN big games have been cancelled. LV and Baylor. She will need to play the way shes been playing against Tenn and SC along with the Big East tourney for me to even consider her AA. Remember the nations 2nd leading scorer and now the nations Front runner for POY DID NOT MAKE AA last season. Smh #Disgraceful

But, to me, last year was talent rich in ways this year is not. Rhyne Howard put up big scoring numbers, but frankly, her team wasn't that good. I agree though, she should've been an AA. I mean, look at what left WBB last year. Injuries aside, Crystal Dangerfield didn't sniff an AA honor, but she was the WNBA ROY.

This year, the elite talent in WBB comes from underclassmen this season. Waaaaaaaaaay more freshman and sophomores are going to be impact players in the W than the juniors and seniors and it allows Howard's star to shine brightest. As for Paige, yes, I'm a UCONN fan, but a sensible one. She does need to perform well against big time opponents, but based on her game, composure, and competitiveness, I have no no doubt that she will I am always skeptical of hype, but she deserves all of it that she gets. I am actually stunned at how good she is. I think if ESPN was hyping her up the way they've done past stars, she would be more in the conversation. But, UCONN really pissed off ESPN with their jump to the Big East, so they aren't going to hype a player when they aren't going to get their ROI.

If the W operated like the NBA, there is no doubt in my mind that Paige Bueckers would be the projected first pick in the 2021 WNBA draft.

Right now though, my National POY is Haley Jones. I mean, she is doing what she is doing and Stanford has only played one game at home. She is smooth and good.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/12/21 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

A = B

Whereas:
A = UConn's Best Player
and
B = All-American

But, to me, last year was talent rich in ways this year is not. Rhyne Howard put up big scoring numbers, but frankly, her team wasn't that good. I agree though, she should've been an AA. I mean, look at what left WBB last year. Injuries aside, Crystal Dangerfield didn't sniff an AA honor, but she was the WNBA ROY.

This year, the elite talent in WBB comes from underclassmen this season. Waaaaaaaaaay more freshman and sophomores are going to be impact players in the W than the juniors and seniors and it allows Howard's star to shine brightest. As for Paige, yes, I'm a UCONN fan, but a sensible one. She does need to perform well against big time opponents, but based on her game, composure, and competitiveness, I have no no doubt that she will I am always skeptical of hype, but she deserves all of it that she gets. I am actually stunned at how good she is. I think if ESPN was hyping her up the way they've done past stars, she would be more in the conversation. But, UCONN really pissed off ESPN with their jump to the Big East, so they aren't going to hype a player when they aren't going to get their ROI.

If the W operated like the NBA, there is no doubt in my mind that Paige Bueckers would be the projected first pick in the 2021 WNBA draft.

Right now though, my National POY is Haley Jones. I mean, she is doing what she is doing and Stanford has only played one game at home. She is smooth and good.

Agreed with everything said here !

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: