RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 South Carolina @ #10 Kentucky - 1/10/21
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/09/21 7:11 pm    ::: #5 South Carolina @ #10 Kentucky - 1/10/21 Reply Reply with quote

#5/4 SOUTH CAROLINA (7-1, 2-0 SEC) AT #10/8 KENTUCKY (9-2, 2-1 SEC)
5 P.M. | LEXINGTON, KY. | MEMORIAL COLISEUM

South Carolina Game Notes (PDF) | WATCH: ESPN | LISTEN: 107.5 The Game | Live Stats | Media Availability

https://gamecocksonline.com/news/2021/1/9/womens-basketball-gamecocks-in-top-10-road-test-sunday.aspx

Looks like the team has un-paused.........

Last edited by Conway Gamecock on 01/10/21 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
scfastpitch

PostPosted: 01/09/21 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Practicing tonight and travelling tomorrow . Hopefully it will be a charter flight .

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/10/21 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So my understanding/interpretation of the news that's been put out is that there weren't any cases of covid-19 within the WBB program - there has been cases within the MBB program, and due to the proximity of the two programs the "pause" was more of a precautionary action to make sure no one within the WBB program got infected from the MBB program.

The WBB program all had tests done yesterday and today and there were zero positive results, so the schedule resumes....

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/10/21 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
So my understanding/interpretation of the news that's been put out is that there weren't any cases of covid-19 within the WBB program - there has been cases within the MBB program, and due to the proximity of the two programs the "pause" was more of a precautionary action to make sure no one within the WBB program got infected from the MBB program.

The WBB program all had tests done yesterday and today and there were zero positive results, so the schedule resumes....

Thanks for the update. I wonder if more teams are doing this...chartering to and from the games on the same day to limit exposure to hotel staff and guests at road games? It's probably saving $$ as well. You can certainly bus to some games, but I wouldn't want to sit on a bus the day of a game, play, and then get back on one and go home. Yuck.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/10/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Thanks for the update. I wonder if more teams are doing this...chartering to and from the games on the same day to limit exposure to hotel staff and guests at road games? It's probably saving $$ as well. You can certainly bus to some games, but I wouldn't want to sit on a bus the day of a game, play, and then get back on one and go home. Yuck.

Yes I saw a conference schedule a few weeks ago - I can't recall the team or conference it was associated with now - where all the home and away games were being played at one location, on back-to-back games. Essentially they play one game, have an off-day, then play the 2nd game on the same court they just played the 1st game on.

So if each team had a 16-game conference schedule, they'd play 8 opponents twice, and 4 of those duo games would be at "away" games, and the other 4 would be "home" games. So by doing this, that conference was eliminating half the traveling of each team to other opponent's locales or states, and half the hotel stays, and half the various contacts of its teams with "foreign" locales.

It kind of messes up the "home court" traditions of fans coming to games and getting at least one game to cheer for/against certain opponents, and it's hard to cheer against an opponent for the 2nd game, that you just got through playing 2 days earlier. But IMO it was a creative way to minimize potential spreader events....

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boston with two early fouls.
Without her on the floor, SoCaro doesn't look too hot.
And Howard is very hot today.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/21 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

Yes I saw a conference schedule a few weeks ago - I can't recall the team or conference it was associated with now - where all the home and away games were being played at one location, on back-to-back games. Essentially they play one game, have an off-day, then play the 2nd game on the same court they just played the 1st game on.

So if each team had a 16-game conference schedule, they'd play 8 opponents twice, and 4 of those duo games would be at "away" games, and the other 4 would be "home" games. So by doing this, that conference was eliminating half the traveling of each team to other opponent's locales or states, and half the hotel stays, and half the various contacts of its teams with "foreign" locales.

I think you're talking about the Summit league.
Unfortunately for Stanford they're sort of doing that in P12 to make up games that are missed. So we get two games back to back away at WSU....and will probably have the same against OrSU. Of course it's unclear if we will ever have a home game this season anyway. It's all just weird.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SoCaro probably just needs to keep it close until half, then hope Boston gives them a lift after half.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/10/21 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bunch of gobbledygook lost practice excuses by announcers for SCar's play. Boo-hoo, all teams have had these problems.

Cocks are losing because their guards can't score and turn the ball over more than they assist.

Amihere doing a decent sub job for Boston even though she's still springy-gangly raw.
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/21 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Amihere were on my team, I would cringe every time she touches the ball...but hey, she got 8 points. She has about the slowest release of any post player you will see.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/10/21 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mr. Blackwell's fashion notes:

Elzy elegant, going to a cocktail party.

Staley bundled up in black and orange to go trick or treating on a cold Halloween night.

If Boston and UConn's Aliyah Edwards ever played against each other, they might blind the viewers with their garish hair colors.
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/10/21 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Bunch of gobbledygook lost practice excuses by announcers for SCar's play. Boo-hoo, all teams have had these problems.

Cocks are losing because their guards can't score and turn the ball over more than they assist.

Amihere doing a decent sub job for Boston even though she's still springy-gangly raw.

I just texted this in my WBB group chat. It's like ESPN is instructed to not ruffle Dawn's feathers. They just fawn over them every change they get.

Anddddd...is it customary that every PA announcer in the SEC is obnoxious? The guys at Tennessee has been hideous for years, Georgia was a nightmare today, and Kentucky is terrible, too.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/10/21 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cats will probably lose if Howard can't keep up the Wonder Woman performance.
linkster

PostPosted: 01/10/21 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky's half court offense is still a comedy of errors, mostly unforced.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/10/21 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I just texted this in my WBB group chat. It's like ESPN is instructed to not ruffle Dawn's feathers. They just fawn over them every change they get.

Anddddd...is it customary that every PA announcer in the SEC is obnoxious? The guys at Tennessee has been hideous for years, Georgia was a nightmare today, and Kentucky is terrible, too.

Jesus Christ take this petty shit to your own team's game threads.....who gives a flying flip what you think about fashion sense, or about your petty jealousies.....

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/21 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what a difference a Boston can make. It's a totally different game with her on the floor.

- Amanda Gorman
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/10/21 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Jesus Christ take this petty shit to your own team's game threads.....who gives a flying flip what you think about fashion sense, or about your petty jealousies.....

LOLLLLLLLL!!!! Have a good night, congrats on the win.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/21 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howard is so good inside the arc. Why throw up a long three?

- Amanda Gorman
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/10/21 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
what a difference a Boston can make. It's a totally different game with her on the floor.

Yup-she is just a presence on offense and defense.

Kentucky is so, so bad on defense, especially in transition and they can't rebound anything.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/10/21 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks win a tough road game on very little practice time 75-70 over #10/8 Kentucky. Aliyah Boston is the unquestioned player of the game for the Gamecocks, after sitting in the 1st half in foul trouble with only 4 pts and 1 rebound, she comes back in the 2nd half to score 16 pts and pull down 11 rebounds in 20 minutes - she finishes with 20 pts, 12 rebounds, 7 blocks and 3 steals.

Henderson also had a strong game, with 22 pts, 8 rebounds, and 3 assists. She did have too many turnovers with 6, but the other production cancels those out. Laeticia Amihere added 10 pts and 4 rebounds - most of that production when she came in for Boston, so those were important contributions.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/10/21 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The very slightly better chaos-streetball team won, but not on the strength of their puny six assists or 6/18 T/O ratio.

Boston, Henderson and Amihere impressed me. No one else on the Cocks did in this game. Boston probably the best center in WCBB.

Cats are too dependent on Howard, but I also liked Patterson and Edwards.
ucbart

PostPosted: 01/10/21 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Gamecocks win a tough road game on very little practice time 75-70 over #10/8 Kentucky. Aliyah Boston is the unquestioned player of the game for the Gamecocks, after sitting in the 1st half in foul trouble with only 4 pts and 1 rebound, she comes back in the 2nd half to score 16 pts and pull down 11 rebounds in 20 minutes - she finishes with 20 pts, 12 rebounds, 7 blocks and 3 steals.

Henderson also had a strong game, with 22 pts, 8 rebounds, and 3 assists. She did have too many turnovers with 6, but the other production cancels those out. Laeticia Amihere added 10 pts and 4 rebounds - most of that production when she came in for Boston, so those were important contributions.

Henderson did whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted to do it. I can't believe how bad Kentucky is guarding dribble penetration. And like I said, Boston is just a presence on offense and defense. She positions herself very well on the floor to be successful. She is always "there."

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/10/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

It kind of messes up the "home court" traditions of fans coming to games and getting at least one game to cheer for/against certain opponents, and it's hard to cheer against an opponent for the 2nd game, that you just got through playing 2 days earlier. But IMO it was a creative way to minimize potential spreader events....

The MAAC and the NEC have both gone to this model, with the NEC excepting certain duos (for example, St. Francis Brooklyn and LIU play a traditional home and home this year, although that's an extreme case of proximity; you can walk from one campus to the other without much trouble).

{edit because I am not good at unnesting quotes sometimes}

(now with spelling variations)
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/10/21 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

The MAAC and the NEC have both gone to this model, with the NEC excepting certain duos (for example, St. Francis Brooklyn and LIU play a traditional home and home this year, although that's an extreme case of proximity; you can walk from one campus to the other without much trouble).

{edit because I am not good at unnesting quotes sometimes}

Also the Patriot League is doing this. I know because Boston U. just jumped 329 spots to take over the #1 RPI and #1 SOS, with their 4-0 record. Their league just started playing games in January.....

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/10/21 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Patriot League went beyond that in scheduling. They cancelled their OOC schedules, then divided the 10-team league into 3 mini-conferences with 4-3-3 teams. Each team plays 4 games (2 at each site on Sat/Sun) with each of the other teams in their mini-conf, then enough games are added with other teams to get to 16 games total. Since they've already had games postponed, I'm not sure how this is going to work.

Can someone explain to me how 4-0 BU, who's played 1-3 Colgate and 2-2 Holy Cross, has the #1 RPI and #1 SOS ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: