RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Philadelphia needs its own WNBA team

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/13/20 6:57 am    ::: Philadelphia needs its own WNBA team Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/tags/wnba

Quote:
Right now, the WNBA has 12 teams, which allows for just 144 roster spots. With sports viewership and fandom booming around the world thanks to the internet and social media, this is the ideal time to put more of the league's product in front of potential fans.

And Philadelphia, a city that goes crazy for its sports teams and loves basketball something fierce, needs to be at the top of any expansion list.

Last edited by pilight on 05/13/20 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/20 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s the real link.
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/tags/wnba

You can tell when a fan is a writing an article like this by the “needs a team” for a certain city.

What is needed is viable owners who want a team, regardless of the location.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/13/20 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Philly fans love basketball so much, why don't they go to women's college games right now? Or have a major girls' high school or club event?

PostPosted: 05/13/20 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clearly the author is wishing for something without much substance. I have a list of ten cities that should have a team(includes four former cities). But without new owners willing to lose money in the beginning and deal with a mediocre team, expansion just isn't there. And now with the pandemic and the nation heading into a great depression (likely), there's even less of a chance for expansion. Remember the so called Toronto bid making the rounds this time last year? They've been very quiet since the new year. Let's just hope the league doesn't see contraction due to the upcoming financial downfall.

My 10 cities that should have a WNBA franchise :
1. Houston
2. Portland
3. San Francisco
4. Nashville
5. Toronto
6. Cleveland
7. Sacramento
8. Columbia, SC
9. Des Moines
10. Philadelphia

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/13/20 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read this opinion piece/article recently after the Sonics were mentioned in the latest installment of the Jordan documentary. It raises the possibility of the NBA choosing to actually expand as a result of the coronavirus in order to ease financial burden on its current teams. Anyone think the author has a point? If so, who knows if the idea could even remotely apply to WNBA franchises. I can't make heads or tails of any of it at this time - I'm trying (but failing) to not think about sports in a vacuum these days. Laughing

toad455 wrote:
My 10 cities that should have a WNBA franchise :
1. Houston
2. Portland
3. San Francisco
4. Nashville
5. Toronto
6. Cleveland
7. Sacramento
8. Columbia, SC
9. Des Moines
10. Philadelphia

No Detroit on your list, toad?! Interesting to see you have Philly below Columbia and Des Moines, which are two small markets in comparison. If W players didn't like being in Tulsa or Connecticut, I'm guessing they wouldn't think highly of being in a city like Des Moines either. Razz

Maybe someday we'll have 16 teams again (hopefully much more collectively stable than the last time we had 'em), if the League can stay afloat whenever the hell this pandemic ends.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/13/20 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a pipe dream list. Just listed both Des Moines and Columbia as they are women's college bball hotbeds. As for Detroit, the Shock only got support when they were winning and frequently inflated their attendance numbers greatly. I don't see the league returning there anytime soon. The league should be lucky to get to 16 teams by their 30th anniversary. I was hoping for 16 by their 25th year, but that's not happening now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/06/21 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://mobile.twitter.com/Khristina2334/status/1346870952676782080

Quote:
Also if you joined the clubhouse conversation today, there was some scoop surrounding talks of expanding the WNBA in Philadelphia.

I have no further info/context for this. Wonder if anyone else knows how legitimate this so-called “scoop” is (or isn’t).

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/06/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As someone who just moved to The Philly area, I would greatly want this! The 76ers have a brand new practice facility in Camden over the bridge. I don't believe it can house spectators though. Maybe we can get a W specific arena like the one in DC. I think that should be a requirement for any future teams. I think the era of trying to full cavernous 18k arenas should be over. The Mystics facility, although I wish was bigger, seems to be a good blueprint for the league.

C'mon Englebert. Make it happen!!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/06/21 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Khristina2334/status/1346870952676782080

Quote:
Also if you joined the clubhouse conversation today, there was some scoop surrounding talks of expanding the WNBA in Philadelphia.

I have no further info/context for this. Wonder if anyone else knows how legitimate this so-called “scoop” is (or isn’t).

Hmm this would be nice , i wont hold my breath though . Remember the whole Toronto WNBA league office meeting ? Nothing ever came of it from what i can tell , or MAYBE the pandemic put things on halt ? WNBA in philly would be nice ,Bring back the Philadelphia RAGE !

PostPosted: 01/07/21 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
As someone who just moved to The Philly area, I would greatly want this! The 76ers have a brand new practice facility in Camden over the bridge. I don't believe it can house spectators though. Maybe we can get a W specific arena like the one in DC. I think that should be a requirement for any future teams. I think the era of trying to full cavernous 18k arenas should be over. The Mystics facility, although I wish was bigger, seems to be a good blueprint for the league.

As a person who lives in philly they are not looking to build any new facilities anytime soon. They just struck down a new Sixers stadium being built near the waterfront. If a WNBA team comes to philly their best bet at a home is the Wells Fargo Center were the sixers play , Liacouras Center were temple men basketball play or mcgonigle hall were temple women's basketball play. The liacouras center and mcgonigle Hall are very small venues neither hold over 11k fans

Shades

PostPosted: 01/07/21 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, glorified practice facilities for the NBA teams with seating tacked on to act as venues for WNBA teams isn’t an ideal blueprint for the league. The league didn’t acquire a high buck Commissioner for that kind of low aspiration thinking.

It may be ideal for the fan who is happy to keep the WNBA a niche sport. No doubt it’s great for the billionaire NBA owner who doesn’t want to pay for his own NBA practice facility. But that’s about it.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 01/07/21 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
chadb

PostPosted: 01/07/21 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Hey hey - also a Philly person. Just saying hello. As a former season ticket holder of both the Monarchs and the Mercury - I would be first in line to buy season tickets.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/07/21 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has a prospective owner been mentioned?

PostPosted: 01/07/21 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
No, glorified practice facilities for the NBA teams with seating tacked on to act as venues for WNBA teams isn’t an ideal blueprint for the league. The league didn’t acquire a high buck Commissioner for that kind of low aspiration thinking.

It may be ideal for the fan who is happy to keep the WNBA a niche sport. No doubt it’s great for the billionaire NBA owner who doesn’t want to pay for his own NBA practice facility. But that’s about it.

I don't think the Mystics arena is perfect but I do think W specific arenas are a better fit for the league than half empty NBA arenas. That's just the reality of where the league is. I'd love for all the teams to sell out NBA arenas but the reality is that most teams average less than 10k and, I don't believe any average more than 12k. I may be wrong there. The Mystics arena is too small but I do think it's the right idea. Perhaps I should've used a better example, which are the Sun and Aces arenas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: