RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 12/22/20 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fisher named GM.

https://sparks.wnba.com/news/sparks-announce-reorganization-of-basketball-operations/

galley

PostPosted: 12/23/20 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BOOOOOO

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/23/20 4:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

galley wrote:
BOOOOOO

It says a lot when someone returns after an absence of > 10 years just to boo this move

PostPosted: 12/23/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Parker and Fisher have had their fair share of disputes in his two seasons at the helm, but his number one priority has to resigning her and he knows it. “Our intentions are to make sure that Candace never plays a game for another team,” Fisher said. “But we have to earn that back from her through the right conversations.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/23/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
Parker and Fisher have had their fair share of disputes in his two seasons at the helm, but his number one priority has to resigning her and he knows it. “Our intentions are to make sure that Candace never plays a game for another team,” Fisher said. “But we have to earn that back from her through the right conversations.

Why do I get the feeling that Candace Parker is going to sign with another team? And how pissed off Candace still is toward Fisher for benching her during the 2019 playoffs?

She seems to have the upper-hand here.

PostPosted: 12/24/20 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She didn't seem so pissed off this past season 🤷‍♂️

jap

PostPosted: 12/25/20 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:
Parker and Fisher have had their fair share of disputes in his two seasons at the helm, but his number one priority has to resigning her and he knows it. “Our intentions are to make sure that Candace never plays a game for another team,” Fisher said. “But we have to earn that back from her through the right conversations.

Why do I get the feeling that Candace Parker is going to sign with another team? And how pissed off Candace still is toward Fisher for benching her during the 2019 playoffs?

Ace and Fish kissed and made up last offseason. Candace is very opinionated considering virtually all things involving basketball. She is never going to see eye-to-eye with hardly ANYBODY!

Fish's career overlapped playing stints with Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant. He has seen greatness up close & personal with two superstars who sucked it up and put everything on the line in games. What he saw from Ace during the 2019 post season was unlike anything he saw from those two superstars, so he benched the Golden Child against her will.

I am absolutely positive that their makeup talks included lengthy descriptions from Fish of Magic & Kobe's playing prowess, especially when championship gold was within reach. One sure fire way to get to Candace is comparing her sometimes subpar play to some of the greatest who ever played. Candace may coast at times, but she KNOWS she's very good, and she wants to be considered great. Reminding her of her need to be a team leader with her play, especially when that play is contrasted with that of all time greats, is a tremendously effective motivator for her. With those issues serving as the context for evaluating her play, I don't expect any serious issues between Fish & Ace going forward.

Last edited by jap on 12/27/20 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
jap

PostPosted: 12/25/20 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:

Double post.

PostPosted: 12/27/20 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
Shades wrote:
Quote:

Double post.

I think D.fish and Parker have settled their problems its KT and CP who I think still have some making up to do

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/27/20 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/chiney/status/1343250057949167616

So based on this video clip posted earlier today, I don't get the feeling that she's going to retire just yet...

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/27/20 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

So based on this video clip posted earlier today, I don't get the feeling that she's going to retire just yet...

Not much lift on those "jumper shots". And Chiney needs to get behind the arc if she wants to play for New York. Wink

PostPosted: 12/27/20 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Not much lift on those "jumper shots". And Chiney needs to get behind the arc if she wants to play for New York. Wink

Still, if she wanted to sign with New York for multiple reasons and just haaaad to bring Nneka with her, I don't think the lack of elevation on those jumpers would be a sticking point for anyone. Wink Wink

Shades

PostPosted: 12/27/20 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Who says she wants to play for New York?

Shades

PostPosted: 12/27/20 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker bought a $4 million home in Tarzana, CA. Looks like a really nice place. Don’t think I’ll be feeling too sorry about how much she makes anytime soon.

https://www.dirt.com/gallery/athletes/basketball-players/candace-parker-house-los-angeles-1203358119/candace-parker-4/

I think she may have been renting after selling her last place in the divorce settlement. Looks like she’s firmly re-establishing roots in California. Wouldn’t make sense to play somewhere else, especially as it looks like the Sparks are making her a top priority.

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/27/20 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

That was the result of the "Mock Offseason" exercise. It actually makes sense if Chiney wants to both get paid and be near ESPN. She is probably sixth in line as a free agent after Parker, Nneka, Gray, Sykes, and Riquna. If she wants to stay in LA, it will be at a deep discount. Most other contending teams also have cap issues. NY has maybe the most cap space of anyone. And travel to the ESPN studios at the South Street Seaport from where the Liberty last lived in Brooklyn is under 15 minutes by car if you trust internet sources.

PostPosted: 12/28/20 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

That was the result of the "Mock Offseason" exercise.

In other words, there’s absolutely no indication that she wants to play for New York.

root_thing wrote:
It actually makes sense if Chiney wants to both get paid and be near ESPN. She is probably sixth in line as a free agent after Parker, Nneka, Gray, Sykes, and Riquna. If she wants to stay in LA, it will be at a deep discount. Most other contending teams also have cap issues. NY has maybe the most cap space of anyone. And travel to the ESPN studios at the South Street Seaport from where the Liberty last lived in Brooklyn is under 15 minutes by car if you trust internet sources.

There’s an ESPN studio in Los Angeles, and her broadcasting career has been flourishing despite being away from Connecticut. I really doubt there’s any real advantage to being near the headquarters.
https://www.newscaststudio.com/setstudio/nba-on-espn/

Sparksfan

PostPosted: 12/28/20 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney wants to be in LA. If she wanted to be in NY thars were she would have requested to be sent by Connecticut. LA even though is suffering from capspace issues have lucked out because most of their free agents don't make their living from the WNBA and can take big pay cuts without batting an eye

Randy

PostPosted: 12/28/20 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
Chiney wants to be in LA. If she wanted to be in NY thars were she would have requested to be sent by Connecticut. LA even though is suffering from capspace issues have lucked out because most of their free agents don't make their living from the WNBA and can take big pay cuts without batting an eye

What does Parker make her living from? She doesn't seem to play overseas. I don't see her doing TV endorsements. $4 m house seems like a lot of cost to cover.

Sparksfan

PostPosted: 12/28/20 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker works with TNT as a sports analyst she also has endorsement contracts with Adidas she also has a production company plus other business deals

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/28/20 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

In other words, there’s absolutely no indication that she wants to play for New York.

There’s an ESPN studio in Los Angeles, and her broadcasting career has been flourishing despite being away from Connecticut. I really doubt there’s any real advantage to being near the headquarters.
https://www.newscaststudio.com/setstudio/nba-on-espn/

First of all, there is a reason why I put a wink emoji behind my statement. There was never a suggestion that there was any evidence. That said, there is some logic to the way things played out in the Mock Offseason:

1) The CBA has changed, so the situation is very different from when Chiney left CT. There is now more money available, but it isn't available everywhere. Certainly not in LA. Richyyy knows the salary and cap situation better than anybody, and he served as the "GM" for LA in the Mock Offseason.

2) Chiney is now a vice president of the union and was part of the committee that helped negotiate these higher salaries. This was their crowning achievement. If Chiney were to now take a lot less money to stay with the Sparks, it would be somewhat embarrassing. Not a deal-breaker, but it gives the owners something to throw back at the players during the next negotiations. "Hey, our teams are racking up losses. Meanwhile, you guys have been walking away from money. You don't really need it."

3) ESPN opened new studios in lower Manhattan a year or two ago. This is not about working in Bristol. The NY studios are a short car ride from where the Liberty are likely to live in Brooklyn.

4) It's true that Chiney does not need to be anywhere in particular to do her podcast. She and Golic Jr have not been in the same studio together at all. However, he works out of the Tristate area, so the possibility of having them in the same studio is certainly a positive factor if they want to take the show to the next level. It also allows her to do ad hoc TV work.

All we're doing right now in these offseason threads is spitballing. There probably won't be any real rumors until next month.

PostPosted: 12/28/20 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The situation with Chiney is really awkward, in that she's in the 'Suspended-Contract Expired' category where LA hold her rights without even having to offer a qualifying offer, and she can't negotiate with other teams. But LA have at least three free agents above her in importance, arguably as many as five, and limited cap space. I think Parker/Gray/Nneka might agree to sign for a bit less combined than they did in our Mock Offseason, but probably not much less. So unless one of them walks away for nothing, there probably isn't much more than the vet minimum left for Chiney. At which point they may just release her to become a UFA (as I did in the Mock Offseason). I believe LA could technically say "play for us for what we're offering or you can't play in this league at all", but that wouldn't go down well (especially when her sister is a star player you're hoping to re-sign and president of the players' union).

I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up talking about the league rather than playing in it in 2021.

PostPosted: 12/28/20 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Michael Fischer, who has served as Assistant General Manager since the 2018 season, has been named Vice President of Player Personnel.

Having an Assistant GM sounds like too much for these money losing teams with 12 players. And Vice President of Player Personnel sound like Assistant GM.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/28/20 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
What does Parker make her living from? She doesn't seem to play overseas. I don't see her doing TV endorsements. $4 m house seems like a lot of cost to cover.

I’m assuming she didn’t spend all those European checks. Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/28/20 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendonkleen/2021/12/28/derek-fisher-promoted-to-los-angeles-sparks-gm-as-wnba-and-sparks-face-crossroads

Quote:
As the president of the executive committee of the WNBA players’ union, Nneka Ogwumike likely wants to remain in a big market where she can best assist fellow players. But might a move to New York entice her, as that’s where the league office is located? A budding Liberty team could make a big leap in 2021 if their young talent blossoms and they use cap space plus the No. 1 overall pick to jump into the playoff picture. Ogwumike could be a nice match there.

Adding this to the Ogwumike-to-New-York discourse, even if it’s about the other one. No, it’s not evidence of literally anything – merely an idea – but then, no one suggested any of it was anything other than ideas anyway.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/28/20 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you are LA and your cap crunch means you can only afford one of N. Ogwumike or C. Gray who do you keep?

Also considering Bonner innovated the UFA sign and trade for the super max what could LA get for N. Ogwumike or C. Gray (please remember LA has the get a much cheaper option in return for Gray or Ogwumike to free up money for the rest of their roster).

I"ve got
N. Ogwumike to NY for pick #1
N. Ogwumike to Dallas for pick #2 (maybe throw in pick #7 (or #7 for #10 swap) or KLS)
N. Ogwumike to Atl for pick #3 (and maybe something else 2nd round pick in 22 or Cazorla or right to R.Montgomery if she is open to signing for say 100K)
N. Ogwumike to Chi for Deshields (Obviously Chicago can no longer afford Ch. Parker and might have to find anew home for Dolson or Copper to make the money work)

C. Gray to Atl for pick #3 or Hayes
C. Gray to Atl for Hayes (who is still on old CBA money around 100K)
C. Gray to LV for J. Young and pick #12 or first round pick in 22 (this assumes LV doesn't re-sign McBride)
C. Gray to NY for Durr
C. Gray to Minn for Dangerfield and pick #9
C. Gray to Dallas for Harris and pick #5

(As a NY fan I don't think we are on the timeline to compete so we probably wouldn't need to make a move for Gray or Ogwumike but you never know what GMs are thinking)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: