RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/16/20 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've just gotta say, I re-read and came to really like Spoon's idea of Candace Parker for Copper+Stevens from one or two months ago on this very thread. If she wants out or even simply doesn't mind leaving, it's a good trade for both sides, considering Parker can just sign with another team for regular max if she really wants out. Over the past year, we've seen Augustus leave Minny and Bonner leave Phoenix. It's not unthinkable anymore for a longtime star to just up & leave what was the only team they've known for 10+ years.

If James Wade really truly wants to change things up with his roster instead of trying to stick with who he currently has and hope they get/stay healthy, Illinois native Candace Parker is exactly who the Sky need right now. And maybe vice versa; I really don't think she wins another title with LA, I just don't.

Anyways, here's CP3 giving back to her Naperville hometown this winter.

And here and here, CP3 comments on Giannis Antetokounmpo recently re-signing with Milwaukee. A possible look into how she views her own situation?

Quote:
Whether you are like Giannis and re-sign long term or like LBJ or KD and decide to change situations and teams. I’m happy we are at a point where players can choose what makes THEM happy. ... NBA is an amazing occupation but it is a Job... and there’s a lot that goes into it other than just between the lines. So respect choices and decisions and support organizations and players in those choices and decisions.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/16/20 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker's out of contract. Unless she's determined to get the supermax, she can walk to Chicago for nothing.

PostPosted: 12/16/20 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Parker's out of contract. Unless she's determined to get the supermax, she can walk to Chicago for nothing.

Like I said above, if she really wants out she’ll sign elsewhere for the still-solid regular max amount. Her being traded assumes it’s a sign-and-trade so that she can still get the supermax, as I don’t think she’d accept much less. But hey, if she did, she might be able to get a few people to stop calling her ‘Princess’. Razz

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/16/20 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are you giving Parker 4 years in this scenario? Because if you're forcing a sign-and-trade for the difference between 190k and 220k, you're probably demanding the maximum number of years as well...

PostPosted: 12/16/20 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you really want to do a four year supermax with a 35 year old (next season) coming off two of the worst seasons in her career?

PostPosted: 12/16/20 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Are you giving Parker 4 years in this scenario? Because if you're forcing a sign-and-trade for the difference between 190k and 220k, you're probably demanding the maximum number of years as well...

I mean, tbh I was thinking three years, since I don't see the Sky's window of contention (aka however long Slooty can keep it goin') stretching beyond that fwiw. At the same time, if it's precisely 4 years vs. 0 years, I would still pick 4.

pilight wrote:
Do you really want to do a four year supermax with a 35 year old (next season) coming off two of the worst seasons in her career?

Her 2019 season was bad, but since when was her 2020? Offensively, her PPG was below 15 for only the third time in her 13 years in the League, but look at all the other numbers compared to her career numbers. She may be a lower-usage player these days, but wouldn't that fit in well on a Chicago Sky team that seems to spread their numbers around? Defensively, well, I seem to recall she had eNoUgH people buzzing about her prowess on that end of the floor... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Stormeo on 12/16/20 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/16/20 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I mean, I was thinking three years, since I don't see the Sky's window of contention (aka however long Slooty can keep it goin') stretching beyond that fwiw. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then sign her as a free agent and guarantee her a bonus 90k in year 4 to make up the difference.

Personally, I think if Parker leaves she just leaves. I don't think she's going to bother forcing a sign-and-trade to get the supermax, when she's probably too old to want 4 years anyway.

PostPosted: 12/16/20 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I mean, I was thinking three years, since I don't see the Sky's window of contention (aka however long Slooty can keep it goin') stretching beyond that fwiw. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then sign her as a free agent and guarantee her a bonus 90k in year 4 to make up the difference.

Personally, I think if Parker leaves she just leaves. I don't think she's going to bother forcing a sign-and-trade to get the supermax, when she's probably too old to want 4 years anyway.

Idk, I was thinking back to her postgame soundbite in their lone playoff game about how she's chosen to be loyal to the Sparks all this time. If she's looking to change teams, she might want her next team to commit to her in the same way she's done with the Sparks. As always, trying to see into her headspace (amongst others) is impossible. Laughing Some people love to say a lot while saying nothing at all!

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 12/17/20 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Parker was five years younger I would love to see her wearing a Sky jersey. She is now a senior citizen and she can continue wearing her purple and gold.

PostPosted: 12/17/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So why would Candace Parker leave her home and uproot her child's schooling for a couple years in Chicago?

Is that team better than the Sparks? Maybe, but maybe not. Can she get more money? No.

Now if she wants to live long-term in Chicago rather than L.A., it might make sense, but otherwise it just doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble for her and her daughter. (I also don't know how her custody agreement might factor in ... she may not be able to move.)

PostPosted: 12/17/20 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Worst years? She's the best defensive player in the league.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/17/20 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So why would Candace Parker leave her home and uproot her child's schooling for a couple years in Chicago?

Is that team better than the Sparks? Maybe, but maybe not. Can she get more money? No.

How much “uprooting” would there be when the League primarily takes place in the summer? I feel like they could still find a way to make it work, living in LA for a majority of the school year. Or maybe Lailaa would be fine with moving so long as her mother is happy. Who knows. And who knows if Parker thinks she can get another championship or two out of her time in LA at this point. As it is, she barely has one.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/17/20 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:

Worst years? She's the best defensive player in the league.

Well, that depends on who you ask. Wink

PostPosted: 12/17/20 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
ClayK wrote:

How much “uprooting” would there be when the League primarily takes place in the summer? I feel like they could still find a way to make it work, living in LA for a majority of the school year. Or maybe Lailaa would be fine with moving so long as her mother is happy. Who knows. And who knows if Parker thinks she can get another championship or two out of her time in LA at this point. As it is, she barely has one.

Also, if I'm doing the math correctly (and I may not be, I'm an English major), Lailaa might be approaching that between-schools age, when it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to move (although going from California to Illinois would be somewhat more of an uprooting than going from Forest Hills to Rego Park, I grant). Also also, this year has demonstrated that remote learning is a thing.

PostPosted: 12/17/20 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have been wrong before, but methinks Candace stays in LA. Just don't see a compelling reason for her to move. They have a competitive team so it's not like she's stuck on a loser. And she has her media role (which could be her future) that is centered there.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/18/20 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Also, if I'm doing the math correctly (and I may not be, I'm an English major), Lailaa might be approaching that between-schools age, when it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to move (although going from California to Illinois would be somewhat more of an uprooting than going from Forest Hills to Rego Park, I grant). Also also, this year has demonstrated that remote learning is a thing.

Exactly! They could work it out. Very Happy Welcome back, by the way!

myrtle wrote:
Have been wrong before, but methinks Candace stays in LA. Just don't see a compelling reason for her to move. They have a competitive team so it's not like she's stuck on a loser. And she has her media role (which could be her future) that is centered there.

I just genuinely don't know about Parker. Particularly since drafting Nneka Ogwumike, the Sparks have been pretty consistent at being good – at least in the regular season. But has it occurred to Parker or anyone really that the Sparks have never even finished in 1st place in the regular season since they drafted Parker? It does seem like a big reason why the championship has felt so elusive from the Sparks, despite their 2016 run along with solid regular seasons year in & year out (early playoff exits à la 2020's notwithstanding). It all goes back to their "underachiever" label... But anyways, if Candace Parker does consider leaving the Sparks, this is the most obvious team for her to join imo. Aside from the "hometown" thing, the Sky are really one healthy star post player away from being a contender.

And I'll be honest: even if the Sky go the path of staying the course by retaining virtually everyone from 2020 and hoping they get & stay healthy, I still don't think it's at all enough to hang with the likes of the Storm or the Mystics (at full-strength) in a 5-game series. And maybe James Wade doesn't either, hence him saying he wants to be "aggressive" in free agency. It could be all talk of course, but imo it would be easier to tell the media that he hopes to keep much of the team intact and then make a 'surprise' splash or two during free agency.

Anyone here think the Sky simply keeping the band together (and keeping 'em healthy) would be enough to truly shed their #NATC status?

Randy

PostPosted: 12/18/20 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Sky are #NATC as long as the Storm stay together and healthy.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/18/20 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
And I'll be honest: even if the Sky go the path of staying the course by retaining virtually everyone from 2020 and hoping they get & stay healthy, I still don't think it's at all enough to hang with the likes of the Storm or the Mystics (at full-strength) in a 5-game series.

This! But I guess the Sky should just keep running it back year after year while players get older and worse defensively. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/18/20 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
And I'll be honest: even if the Sky go the path of staying the course by retaining virtually everyone from 2020 and hoping they get & stay healthy, I still don't think it's at all enough to hang with the likes of the Storm or the Mystics (at full-strength) in a 5-game series.

This! But I guess the Sky should just keep running it back year after year while players get older and worse defensively. Laughing

My sense is this is a make-or-break season for this roster. If the Sky don't make a deep run in the playoffs, then it's time to rebuild -- but giving it one more shot with CVS seems like a better choice than just packing it in in 2021.

PostPosted: 01/02/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alter has sky-high expectations for 2021: ‘We want to win now’
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/2021/1/2/22210302/alter-has-sky-high-expectations-for-2021-we-want-to-win-now

Quote:
With the All-Star backcourt duo of Courtney Vandersloot and Allie Quigley entering their final year of their contracts, expectations are high for the Sky to take advantage of their competitive window.

This gives me the vibe that the pair might not be with the team in 2022. That might be the direction to go if they want to keep all their 2018 class players.

Quote:
“[Mavunga] never had the time to get a rhythm because we didn’t have practice time . . . where we could get reps,” coach James Wade said.

Wade said he sees Mavunga as part of the future and believes “she’ll help us out a lot” next season once she has a full Sky training camp under her belt.

Wade’s not sounding too aggressive here like he said in that last article. This is Reeve-level in aggressiveness.

Quote:
That said, Mavunga, whom the Fever drafted 14th overall in 2018, also could be packaged in a trade this offseason.

Who’s that eager to add Mavunga to their lineups?

Quote:
“We want to win now,” Alter said. “We’ve just got to stay healthy and stay focused. And so that’s very much our mentality going into this season. And that’s not because it’s now-or-never pressure-wise — it’s because we’re there. We feel like we’ve got the pieces and we could beat anybody, and we should beat anybody. And so we just have to get it all together, improve on the areas we need to improve on . . . and stay healthy and get a little lucky. We’re right there.”

I think Chicago painted themselves into a corner by overpaying for Dolson. I’d be surprised if there’s a team that wants to take on her contract.

Selling high on Copper would be wise because I doubt she’ll stay on the team in 2022 if they want to keep DeShields and GWill.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 01/24/21 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/02/21 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Alter has sky-high expectations for 2021: ‘We want to win now’
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/2021/1/2/22210302/alter-has-sky-high-expectations-for-2021-we-want-to-win-now

This gives me the vibe that the pair might not be with the team in 2022. That might be the direction to go if they want to keep all their 2018 class players.

Who’s that eager to add Mavunga to their lineups?

I think Chicago painted themselves into a corner by overpaying for Dolson. I’d be surprised in there’s a team that wants to take on her contract.

Selling high on Copper would be wise because I doubt she’ll stay on the team in 2022 if they want to keep DeShields and GWill.

I agree with all of this. Sloot better not leave the Sky though – I just bought my first Slooty/Sky merch over the holidays. Mad

The verbal Mavunga commitment is a bit concerning, but she’ll have to make it through training camp. Kiah Gillespie being marginally cheaper and a more skilled shooter could definitely beat her out for a spot, amongst whoever else they may bring in between now & then.

Dolson will soon have to prove to her team as well as the other teams that she’s healthy & not terribly out of shape (realistically she isn’t gonna change body types, by any stretch of the imagination). If she can do that, teams will call about her since she’s a proven vet & at least a couple teams could sorely use a stretch-5. New York could try her out for the year to perhaps see if she can be better than Zahui B. Indiana might work better for her, since Stanley worked with her back in their Mystics days, and Dolson would fit Stanley’s 5-out everyone-shoots vision for the team (which I still think is a deeply unwise idea given how much of Indiana’s personnel can’t shoot, but I digress; I myself ‘envision’ Achonwa and Dupree walking because of this). Laughing

Copper makes the absolute most sense to trade, if they actually want to get serious about adding someone good. Again: I liked Spoon’s LA trade idea a lot; and even if the Sky bring back everyone and get them to stay healthy, the Storm & Mystics will still be bad matchups for them in the playoffs.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/02/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Center Brittney Griner, whose future with the Phoenix Mercury is in question, seems like a one-woman solution to the Sky’s defensive woes.

Shocked

Stormeo wrote:
The verbal Mavunga commitment is a bit concerning

Nothing more than the usual “she’s a player on my team so I’m going to uplift her” nonsense that coaches do, IMO.

PostPosted: 01/02/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
The verbal Mavunga commitment is a bit concerning

Nothing more than the usual “she’s a player on my team so I’m going to uplift her” nonsense that coaches do, IMO.

That’s fair to think. I’m just more skeptical. Wade saying “she’ll help us out a lot” is a little too definitive for my tastes. Neutral

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:
Center Brittney Griner, whose future with the Phoenix Mercury is in question, seems like a one-woman solution to the Sky’s defensive woes.

Shocked

Of course, any mention/speculation of Griner switching teams in any free agency-related publication might simply be the result of the Mercury staff’s less-than-glowing soundbites about her at the end of the past season. Until the Merc themselves continue to say more about the possibility of Griner not returning, I’m not holding my breath. Unfortunately. Laughing Mavunga’s coach committing to Mavunga’s return more than Griner’s coach committing to Griner’s return – whew, these are wild times we live in!

Sparksfan

PostPosted: 01/02/21 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker wants to stay in LA but if LA doesn't come at her correctly I can definitely James Wade going after CP3. Not to mention Parker is the god mother to Wade's son. Plus A Parker acquisition brings more than just an elite player it brings an elite vet who has a very big basketball IQ who can mentor and teach Chicago's young post like Ruthie

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/02/21 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparksfan wrote:
Parker wants to stay in LA but if LA doesn't come at her correctly I can definitely James Wade going after CP3. Not to mention Parker is the god mother to Wade's son. Plus a Parker acquisition brings more than just an elite player it brings an elite vet who has a very big basketball IQ who can mentor and teach Chicago's young post like Ruthy

Didn't know that. Interesting. It's looking more & more like a two-horse race for Parker – if a race materializes at all. It also looks that the Sky would have to clear some more cap space in order to take on a star player's contract such as Parker, ie trading Copper and/or Dolson. Of course, if they're able to spice things up like that, loyal ole Cheyenne Parker could potentially find herself having to walk by default.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20

Jump to: