RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Biden's Cabinet
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/13/20 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Supposedly Warren is looking at Treasury but

wouldn't she be a good candidate for Education?

Absolutely not. Other than being a law school professor, Warren has no experience in education.

Also a lot of people are considering safe Senators as contenders. Why would Warren give up a Senate seat she can have until she is ready to retire lead the Labor department. Or Duckworth give up a Senate seat she could have for 30 more years to lead the VA? Senators have more power, more prestige, and don't have to put their own perspectives and ambitions behind the agenda of their boss.

Secretary of Defense? Secretary of State? Attorney General? Sure. But most of these Cabinet positions are a big step down from the Senate.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/14/20 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Supposedly Warren is looking at Treasury but

wouldn't she be a good candidate for Education?

Absolutely not. Other than being a law school professor, Warren has no experience in education.
Also a lot of people are considering safe Senators as contenders. Why would Warren give up a Senate seat she can have until she is ready to retire lead the Labor department.

Elizabeth's first job was as a teacher (speech pathologist?), I believe, so she does have experience. 1 year, at least. My thinking is that a person embodying her level of intellect, creative thinking and willingness to challenge The System, is that she deserves a role of much higher power, and a position where she can implement her philosophies and policies. I always felt that not only were her ideas beautifully progressive, but she explained it in ways so all could understand.

PostPosted: 11/14/20 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tulsi Gabbard was a cold blooded assassin in the debates when she went after Kamala and "Mayor Pete". Love her, but the Democrats hate her. She was even Russiagated by some of them, including Hillary Clinton.

Heidi Heitkamp was considered by Trump (no environmentalist he) for that position and the Organic Consumers Union has a petition for people to put their name on to tell Biden not to pick her

Quote:
Heitkamp’s record concerns and dismays me. In 2016 she stood against the interests of American consumers like myself, who have a right to know about GMOs in our food, by voting in favor of the DARK Act. She has also sided with polluters in many important votes on the environment, including voting in favor of the Keystone XL pipeline. She also voted in favor of a bill that would overturn a key EPA clean water rule and thereby undermine the Clean Water Act. These are all unacceptable choices for our children’s future.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/29/20 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Neera Tanden for OMB. That will surely mollify progressives.

PostPosted: 11/29/20 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Neera Tanden for OMB. That will surely mollify progressives.

I guess sarcasm? Don't know much about her but have heard Jimmy Dore criticize her and points out other progressives clashing with the former Hillary Clinton adviser on Twitter.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/30/20 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Tulsi Gabbard was a cold blooded assassin in the debates when she went after Kamala and "Mayor Pete". Love her, but the Democrats hate her. She was even Russiagated by some of them, including Hillary Clinton.

Because she repeated Russian bot lies about Kamala and Pete (it's easy to attack people with lies..)

PostPosted: 12/01/20 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Because she repeated Russian bot lies about Kamala and Pete (it's easy to attack people with lies..)

Here is Gabbard in the debate:

Quote:
"She put over 1500 people in jail for marijuana violations and then laughed about it (implied that she smoked in college) when she was asked if she ever smoked marijuana."

"She blocked evidence that would have freed an innocent man from death row, until the courts forced her to do so."

"She kept people in prison beyond their sentences to use them as cheap labor for the State of Callifornia".

"And she fought to keep the cash bail system in place that impacts poor people in the worst kind of way."

Here is the response from Harris in which she does not mention lies or Russian bots. She characterizes the Gabbard statements as a "fancy speech".

Quote:
"As the elected Attorney General of California, I did the work of significantly reforming the criminal justice system in a state of 40 million people. It became a national model for the work that needs to be done. I am proud of that work. And I am proud of making a decision to not just give fancy speeches (points at Gabbard) or be in a legislative body and give speeches on the floor. But actually doing the work, of being in the position to use the power that I had to reform a system that is badly in need of reform. That is why we created initiatives that are about re-entering former offenders and getting them counseling. It is why, and because I know that the criminal justice system is so broken that I am an advocate for what we need to do to not only de-criminalize but legalize marijuana in the United States."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y4fjA0K2EeE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 12/02/20 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How's it going here in our happy little cabinet thread? Laughing

PostPosted: 12/09/20 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden now wants to abandon the concept of a civilian run military. Actually, he's planning to appoint quite a few ex-military types to key positions. Get ready for more lives and money to be wasted on pointless interventionism.

PostPosted: 12/09/20 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Biden now wants to abandon the concept of a civilian run military. Actually, he's planning to appoint quite a few ex-military types to key positions. Get ready for more lives and money to be wasted on pointless interventionism.

Care to explain any further? I mean, I'm aware of Austin's appointment, but....I'm thinking you're seeing something I'm apparently not.

PostPosted: 12/09/20 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becerra for HHS? Because politicizing healthcare worked so well for our out-going president? Biden doesn't even know the guy's name.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/10/20 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

Care to explain any further? I mean, I'm aware of Austin's appointment, but....I'm thinking you're seeing something I'm apparently not.

His DoD transition team is full of ex-military types, including at least four retired generals or admirals and a former top enlisted Marine. All of them are expected to have important positions in the administration.

PostPosted: 12/10/20 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

His DoD transition team is full of ex-military types, including at least four retired generals or admirals and a former top enlisted Marine. All of them are expected to have important positions in the administration.

I'd have thought this was de rigeur -- can *civilians only* have the right qualifications to do this work? I'm naïve in this area.

PostPosted: 12/15/20 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

I'd have thought this was de rigeur -- can *civilians only* have the right qualifications to do this work? I'm naïve in this area.

What is the rationale which requires school superintendents to not have been teachers? (if that is not national, it is a requirement in my area in California) Probably the same principle. I would characterize it as "you don't want guys whose job it is to go to war, deciding if we should go to war". But in actuality, it probably has the opposite effect - some warmonger chest-out butt kissing appointee in a suit could be more likely to decide to tell other people to start dropping the bombs. But Colin Powell showed you can be a pathological military leader and have been in the military.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/15/20 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
What is the rationale which requires school superintendents to not have been teachers? (if that is not national, it is a requirement in my area in California)

Now, THAT'S ridiculous, imo as a former teacher; I've never heard of that in these parts. With today's mega-districts in place I can see how they want a Business Head, but still....

But, now....PETE BUTTIGIEG FOR SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION?? That seems like a waste of talent to me Rolling Eyes THERE'S someone with military experience who'd make a great leader in the DoD....I doubt many former military people have the mayoral/civilian leadership experience and perspectives that Pete might. However, I'll just trust Biden knows something I don't know.

PostPosted: 12/15/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Becerra for HHS? Because politicizing healthcare worked so well for our out-going president? Biden doesn't even know the guy's name.

Because these are political appointments. Rewarding loyalty and favors done. This is one of the worst. But people in this thread and anyone else hoping for something different from this Biden administration surely are slowly waking up to the reality that we have elected a very old old timey Washington player from deep into another century and he’s not running the show or making the decisions at this point and if he is making any they are going to look and sound like something from the 1980s.

But there’s also this. And you can search jammerbirdi and ‘cabinet’ here on Rebkell’s and I bet you will find something I long maintained about the Obama cabinet. Because I’d never seen anything like it. I never saw a cabinet back-burnered before EVER anything like Obama’s cabinet. It was like he didn’t have a cabinet. I never understood that or why or how that could be until one night I went to an alumni awards dinner at some old gorgeous Great Gatsby-esque venue on the USC campus and Labor Secretary Hilda Solis was the featured speaker.

I’m sitting beside a dean of the college trying not to sound like an ex-steelworker while lots of standard academic big wigs talk... and then Hilda Solis spoke. Wow. That’s when the lightbulbs started going off in my head about the Obama cabinet. The woman is a moron. Not literally but you know what I mean. Sitting there thinking... wait... THIS... is the United States Secretary of Labor?

That hammered it home. She was just a political appointee. A favor returned, old school American politics. Think Rick Perry running a department he didn’t even know still existed. Ben Carson. Just empty suits being rewarded for loyalty or favors.

So, that’s what’s going on with the Biden cabinet. Big time. This is the third administration where it’s almost nakedly obvious what’s going on. It wasn’t so nakedly obvious in the Obama years unless you were really paying attention and that’s why I had to sort of experience something myself personally for me to get it.

Sad. But this is where we are. And with Biden it’s all of that on, I would say steroids but it’s more like prune juice.

PostPosted: 12/15/20 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Because these are political appointments. Rewarding loyalty and favors done. This is one of the worst
.....Just empty suits being rewarded for loyalty or favors.
So, that’s what’s going on with the Biden cabinet. Big time.

Nope. Just No! Razz

With names like Yellen, Duckworth, Rice, Heitkamp and Buttigieg in the offing, there more than a few who are NOT "empty suits". This is in regard to qualifications. What they can DO in their roles -- what value they can bring -- is another discussion. But just those 5 represent more qualified talent than 45 ever had around him.

PostPosted: 12/15/20 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yellen, Rice and Mayor Pete are not empty suits. So stipulated. Are we supposed to feel better? I used some empty suits to illustrate my point.

PostPosted: 12/16/20 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
tfan wrote:
What is the rationale which requires school superintendents to not have been teachers? (if that is not national, it is a requirement in my area in California)

Now, THAT'S ridiculous, imo as a former teacher; I've never heard of that in these parts. With today's mega-districts in place I can see how they want a Business Head, but still....

I just checked the background of the current superintendent and it looks like I was wrong. She was a teacher when she first got out of college.

I got the idea about about a decade ago when my neighbors and I went to some school board meetings to lobby against something they were planning to do. I noticed from his bio that the off-putting superintendent leading the meetings had never been a teacher. One of my neighbors told me then that it was a requirement never to have been a teacher.

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 12/16/20 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
Pilight....Tulsi?? Really? Laughing And what's up with Homeland security being "disbanded"??

We need someone committed to keeping us out of these endless foreign wars. She's one of the few Democrats who is not completely owned by defense contractors.

Homeland Security should have never been a cabinet department. It's time to get rid of it.

But she is a huge transphobic person, she shouldn’t be given a place in this administration.

PostPosted: 12/16/20 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
Pilight....Tulsi?? Really? Laughing And what's up with Homeland security being "disbanded"??

We need someone committed to keeping us out of these endless foreign wars. She's one of the few Democrats who is not completely owned by defense contractors.

Homeland Security should have never been a cabinet department. It's time to get rid of it.

But she is a huge transphobic person, she shouldn’t be given a place in this administration.

What’s the evidence of that?

PostPosted: 12/16/20 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So out of all the eminently experienced and qualified people Biden could have chosen for this cabinet position, what qualifies the 38 year-old mayor of South Bend Indiana to be the next Secretary of Transportation?

I offer this answer.

Pete Buttigieg dropped out of the 2020 presidential race on March 1, 2020, and endorsed Joe Biden the following day. The day after THAT was Super Tuesday, the day on which the Democratic Party establishment orchestrated the leapfrogging of the weakest of the major candidates in the race to the top spot, paving the way for the two weakest major name candidates to eventually become the party’s ticket.

Deal was made. Mayor Pete has been paid in full. Done.

Today it was announced that the Biden team is considering Diana Taylor, a BIG MONEY Wall St insider to lead the Small Business Administration. Doesn’t that seam fitting? But why? The New York Times is already celebrating the fact that she has a vagina. But why would the Biden team tick off the progressive wing of their party to give this women a job in the new administration?

I would suggest that here is why.

NYTimes:

“Ms. Taylor is also the longtime partner of former Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, and was the de facto first lady of New York City when he was in office. Mr. Bloomberg made a late entry into the Democratic presidential primary last year when Mr. Biden’s candidacy seemed in peril — a challenge that has scarcely been forgotten by many loyalists to the president-elect.

But Mr. Biden has long said that he does not like to sustain grudges.”

I have to interject to highlight the uproariously laughable bootlicking by the national establishment news media that they’re performing like trained seals over Biden. This is like the Casey Hunt episode last week. Good Old Joe. He makes me feel all warm inside.

But wait. Didn’t Bloomberg drop out of the race on March 4th, just one day after Suoer Tuesday? And endorse Joe Biden? Yes he did. Didn’t he then promise millions of his personal fortune to help unseat Trump? Why yes, jammer, I believe he did.

What else?

Later in the summer...

“Bloomberg has committed to spending $60 million to help Democrats increase their House majority this year, a Bloomberg spokesperson said.”

Bingo. Hey, Mike. What’s your wife’s cell phone number again?

Anyone who thinks this is okay, or the way things should be, or change that we can believe in... is just fucked in the head. Sorry. And, of course, that doesn’t apply to anyone here.

Wall St running the Small Business Administration is just too perfect an image to conjure up the incoming Biden administration. Too perfect.

PostPosted: 12/16/20 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes jammer, Biden's presidency is a return to normalcy. It'll be back to the "same shit, different day" administrations we had for 150 years or more before the last one.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: