RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Sales shot - 23 seasons later

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/12/20 9:45 am    ::: The Sales shot - 23 seasons later Reply Reply with quote

I found this on YouTube: https://youtu.be/xf6clwWKx0w

I read about it years ago jn newspaper articles and Geno's books. It was intriguing how they went about it. They had an entire starting lineup announced with Sales nowhere in sight. You hear some applause and she limps to the end of the court..then it happens and the gym erupts! Brought tears to my eyes. As a UConn fan, I had to tell myself, see Geno has a heart Wink (jk)

For those who don't know, Geno and Harry P. from Villanova arranged for Nykeisha Sales to score a basket as she had a season ending injury the game before. She was 2 points away from breaking the all time scoring record at UConn as a senior in 1998. As I recall in his book, Geno okayed it with Kerry Bascom, who then-held the record.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/12/20 9:49 am    ::: Re: The Sales shot - 23 seasons later Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

I read about it years ago jn newspaper articles and Geno's books. It was intriguing how they went about it. They had an entire starting lineup announced with Sales nowhere in sight. You hear some applause and she limps to the end of the court..then it happens and the gym erupts! Brought tears to my eyes. As a UConn fan, I had to tell myself, see Geno has a heart Wink (jk)

For those who don't know, Geno and Harry P. from Villanova arranged for Nykeisha Sales to score a basket as she had a season ending injury the game before. She was 2 points away from breaking the all time scoring record at UConn. As I recall in his book, Geno okayed it with Kerry Bascom, who then-held the record.

I'm a blue-bleeding UCONN fan, and I still don't know how I feel about it. On one hand, she was clearly going to break the record if she stayed healthy, but she didn't.

It's weird, Kelly Graves left Ionescu in blowouts to get triple-doubles and Sherri Cole left Courtney Paris in blowouts to maintain her double-double streak. Geno never does that with any player, but that one basket is viewed as a lot worse than the two examples I gave above. But, that's life.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/12/20 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/AAQYWtv7PY4

Great episode in general but at around 24 minute mark the topic of this thread is addressed.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/12/20 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
https://youtu.be/AAQYWtv7PY4

Great episode in general but at around 24 minute mark the topic of this thread is addressed.

Thanks for the link, that's the first time I saw that. Bascom had a point, it seems like if anybody would be up in arms about it, it'd be her.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/12/20 11:36 am    ::: Re: The Sales shot - 23 seasons later Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

For those who don't know, Geno and Harry P. from Villanova arranged for Nykeisha Sales to score a basket as she had a season ending injury the game before. She was 2 points away from breaking the all time scoring record at UConn. As I recall in his book, Geno okayed it with Kerry Bascom, who then-held the record.

I'm a blue-bleeding UCONN fan, and I still don't know how I feel about it. On one hand, she was clearly going to break the record if she stayed healthy, but she didn't.

It's weird, Kelly Graves left Ionescu in blowouts to get triple-doubles and Sherri Cole left Courtney Paris in blowouts to maintain her double-double streak. Geno never does that with any player, but that one basket is viewed as a lot worse than the two examples I gave above. But, that's life.

-cough cough- Also Plum chasing Stiles' record. -end cough- Geno made a good point in the video that NoDakSt posted. He said that Nykesha wasn't selfish and wasn't chasing the record. For me, I've seen coaches place an injured player on a court for a second just so they could get in the books. One that I could think of is Dru Gylten who now plays at Utah.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/12/20 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think any of these examples are "right." Bascom played 120 games and Sales played 137 for UConn, so why give Sales an extra chance to break that record. And letting your best player run up the score in blowouts isn't good "sportsmanship" towards either the other team or your bench players that work hard in practice for an opportunity to play. This is all BS. JMO.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/12/20 6:18 pm    ::: Re: The Sales shot - 23 seasons later Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Now, THAT'S simply a highly personal perception. I, for one, never saw Nykesha's 'enabled' record as tainted in any way. Sabrina and Courtney beat each record by a country mile, and didn't need a *favor* after a disabling injury to accomplish that. Another way to look at it is that ALL of them -- Sabrina, Courtney, and Nykesha -- worked damned hard(er than average) to be the players they were. Why NOT reward them with the playing time they've righteously earned? I have no doubt that any of us here, had WE been the player, would appreciate the opportunity to go for a record WHEN IT'S SO NIGH AT HAND.

Records are made to be broken; I remember decades ago, when Billie Jean King was going after the record number of Wimbledon wins, the record-holder (a very elderly "Bunny" Owens) was there to cheer her on.

PostPosted: 12/13/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I don't think any of these examples are "right." Bascom played 120 games and Sales played 137 for UConn, so why give Sales an extra chance to break that record. And letting your best player run up the score in blowouts isn't good "sportsmanship" towards either the other team or your bench players that work hard in practice for an opportunity to play. This is all BS. JMO.

Yeah let's be like Pat at Tennessee and force Jolly to play on a torn ACL in 1997 for her to re-injure it again in the NCAA first round..then have her limping around the rest of the NCAAs. Just hating on UConn like always!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/13/20 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Yeah let's be like Pat at Tennessee and force Jolly to play on a torn ACL in 1997 for her to re-injure it again in the NCAA first round..then have her limping around the rest of the NCAAs. Just hating on UConn like always!

Get over it. And yourself.

PostPosted: 12/13/20 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the Sales "gift basket" was inappropriate at the time, and still do. It was, in my opinion, an insult to the integrity of the game.

Bascom's record didn't get broken by competitive play according to the rules of basketball, but by a non-competitive conspiratorial gimmick that essentially broke the rules of basketball. And which, in more extreme contexts such as the college game fixing and point shaving scandals in 1951, have been deemed illegal.

Moreover, at the time of her injury Sales had already had far more than sufficient opportunity to have broken Bascom's record. As FrozenLVFan has pointed out, and which hardly anyone ever did then or now, Sales had already played far more minutes in far more games than Bascom and hadn't broken the record.

Losing playing time because of injury is part of the normal fabric of competitive basketball and any records that may accrue in that competition. A mutual gift basket gimmick contrived by coaches is not.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/13/20 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I'd be obsessed as well if my team was so irrelevant! If not for the trophies, you would never know Tennessee won anything - ever!

Davis4632

PostPosted: 12/13/20 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I'd be obsessed as well if my team was so irrelevant! If not for the trophies, you would never know Tennessee won anything - ever!

You were the one that started the topic of one of the most controversial record breaking events in all of sports. You couldn't have thought that was going to be met with just positive comments.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/14/20 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well-said, Davis.... Cool

PostPosted: 12/14/20 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

You were the one that started the topic of one of the most controversial record breaking events in all of sports. You couldn't have thought that was going to be met with just positive comments.

True, but Lady Vols fans have a tendency to attack anything UConn. They sure don't put their two cents in when it's something positive about UConn..if you've been on this board long enough, you know their pettiness. Their Pat and Catch weren't perfect either...! Just saying

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/14/20 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt that anyone has ever had to "force" Kellie Jolly to play a game of basketball.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/14/20 9:53 am    ::: Re: The Sales shot - 23 seasons later Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Apples to oranges. On one hand, you have coaches leaving healthy players in games that they have already been playing in. On the other, you have a completely scripted beginning to a game where one team just allows a player from another team to score. I had a huge problem with it when I watched it happen and I still have a big problem with it today. It isn't like they gave a 4-year team manager with cerebral palsy an opportunity to play in the game. This was flat out manipulation of the game of basketball. As has been said before, Sales had 17 more games and god knows how many more minutes of game time than Bascom.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/14/20 11:28 am    ::: Re: The Sales shot - 23 seasons later Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Apples to oranges. On one hand, you have coaches leaving healthy players in games that they have already been playing in. On the other, you have a completely scripted beginning to a game where one team just allows a player from another team to score. I had a huge problem with it when I watched it happen and I still have a big problem with it today. It isn't like they gave a 4-year team manager with cerebral palsy an opportunity to play in the game. This was flat out manipulation of the game of basketball. As has been said before, Sales had 17 more games and god knows how many more minutes of game time than Bascom.

Speaking of manipulation, I remember a Purdue coach who manipulated transcripts and got in trouble!

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/14/20 12:30 pm    ::: Re: The Sales shot - 23 seasons later Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Speaking of manipulation, I remember a Purdue coach who manipulated transcripts and got in trouble!

True. That has a lot to do with this post. And I didn't create a thread about it, but so be it. And what is it you were saying about Tennessee fans? They always seem to bash stuff? I think most of your posts are the same way. But hey, you do you.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/14/20 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay maybe this wasn't the place to put this topic. But honestly, if it were any other team than UConn.....! The same ppl who were happy to see Maya get put back in to break the WNBA All Star record and then check out right after are the same ppl who complain about manipulation Laughing

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/14/20 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

True, but Lady Vols fans have a tendency to attack anything UConn. They sure don't put their two cents in when it's something positive about UConn..if you've been on this board long enough, you know their pettiness. Their Pat and Catch weren't perfect either...! Just saying

I attacked nothing UConn. You are being so defensive you can't recognize that. But when you spout an untruth you should expect to be called on it. I supremely doubt that anyone ever "forced" Kellie to do anything she didn't want to. That woman was and is one of the most hard-headed people on the planet. You obviously don't know her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: