RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Impact Freshmen Aplenty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 12/12/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
De Jesus from Duke played about even with HVL of L'ville. Big difference was Louisville was on the winning side in a blowout. Is VDJ part of the FOTY discussion? I think so!

She's definitely in the running for ACC FoY, but if Caitlin Clark keeps playing like this, it won't be close on the National level.

It's too bad we have to wait so long to see Bueckers play for UConn. Bueckers was consensus pre-season FOY.

Without the coaching change at Duke, nobody would be noticing De Jesus. Duke kept the deficit under 20 for 3 quarters, and lost by less than 30 to the #2 team in the country.

Well, it was one game against UMASS-Lowell, but it was something. Bueckers had 17 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, and 5 steals. She is every bit as advertised and to me, the clear PG and leader of the team. She is the alpha.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/12/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WSU's Charlisse Leger-Walker, the youngest ever member of New Zealand's national team, went for 20 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals and 3 blocks (she is a 5-10 wing) in their somewhat surprising season opening win over Washington. She went 5-17 and missed all 7 of her 3-point attempts, but she converted 10-12 free throws. If the shots fall more consistantly going forward (and there is no reason to think that they won't based on her international performances) she is definitely a top contender for FoY in the Pac-12.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/13/20 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pistol Paige Bueckers had perhaps the best first game at UConn since Maya Moore, leading or tying for the lead in points, rebounds, assists and steals, while controlling the action with an insouciant confidence and maturity.

Two caveats: The opponent was extremely weak, and Bueckers did not even attempt a three-point shot. So, it remains to be seen whether she can accurately arc-bomb when an elite ball handling and defensive team takes away her steals and driving lanes.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MK9YgX7Y44s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/15/20 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pistol Paige's second game: 25 pts (11-14), 5 assists (which should have been 10), 4 rebounds, 2 steals.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MBFgwd9xmxo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/16/20 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to throw some shade here real quick. FLVFan and Summertimes blues won't say anything positive or comment on anything UConn as it happens such as a UConn signing or outstanding performance..but anything else they will be there to comment to try and start an anti-UConn Convention Laughing I just wanted a perfect point! Crickets..

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/16/20 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
I have to throw some shade here real quick. FLVFan and Summertimes blues won't say anything positive or comment on anything UConn as it happens such as a UConn signing or outstanding performance..but anything else they will be there to comment to try and start an anti-UConn Convention Laughing I just wanted a perfect point! Crickets..

Wrong. I will not answer any of your inflammatory posts. Except for this one. Otherwise, I yawn in your general direction.

Bueckers is a terrific player and you are lucky to have her.

PostPosted: 12/20/20 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I8nGeRiLUEo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/20/20 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

HTH did I get dragged into this? I haven't commented at all on UConn, nor most of the other players mentioned in this thread, because I haven't seen them play.

If you're still in a tizzy over my saying in another thread that I thought the Nykesha Sales maneuver was wrong, too bad. Reread what I wrote, which agreed with you that running up scores to allow record-chasing and playing injured players was wrong.

^That, BTW, was a thread that was started by you with the predictable result that it caused a controversy.

Throwing shade, trolling, call it whatever you want and award yourself as many perfect points as you want.

Why doesn't this site have a damn ignore button?

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/20/20 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon's Paopao and Stanford's Brink have both been truly outstanding, especially the former as a starting PG. But I've seen more of Brink and she will be fabulous for the trees. Very skilled and moves well even if she is built like Bonner.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/20/20 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

The ancient software predates the invention of the button.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/21/20 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

We don't have to respond to his heckling and trash talk. There's always a provocateur.

Last edited by summertime blues on 12/21/20 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/21/20 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

We don't have to respond to his heckling and trash talk. There's always a provocateyr.

Hence I don't have to respond to either of you anymore. Any chance ya'll get. Your team is trash lately, I won't rub it in anymore..your team let's you have it enough

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/21/20 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

If it did, I imagine many of us would just be talking to ourselves lol.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/21/20 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and now perhaps we could get back on topic?

I was impressed today by UCLA's Freshman Bessoir
and by WSU's Leger-Walker

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/22/20 5:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Imo Kelsey Plum's NCAA Div. I scoring record is Charlisse Leger-Walker's if she wants to stick around for the now five seasons she'll get and chase it. And WSU's eternally talent-deficient enough to where the coaches/team might just let her score all the points, essentially like Mike Neighbors & co. did with Plum.

We haven't talked about it much yet, but if these players really are about to get five years of eligibility, there could be some serious record-chasing going on in these next few years. Of course, it depends on the current presence of these exceptional players that have the ability to do it.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/22/20 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been a Cameron Brink fan since we played her Southridge team when she was a sophomore.

Yes, she falls down way too much; yes, she tries to block every shot and commits silly fouls; and yes, she whines constantly.

But at 6-4, she's very athletic, highly competitive and has the skill set to become a really good college and pro player. She's really slender (don't want to say "skinny" any more) but presumably she'll gain weight and strength as she gets older.

PostPosted: 12/22/20 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Imo Kelsey Plum's NCAA Div. I scoring record is Charlisse Leger-Walker's if she wants to stick around for the now five seasons she'll get and chase it. And WSU's eternally talent-deficient enough to where the coaches/team might just let her score all the points, essentially like Mike Neighbors & co. did with Plum.

We haven't talked about it much yet, but if these players really are about to get five years of eligibility, there could be some serious record-chasing going on in these next few years. Of course, it depends on the current presence of these exceptional players that have the ability to do it.

I think the actual number of games per player will vary a lot. As I understand it, all players get an extra year of eligibility regardless of previous red-shirts. So some players may already had an extra partial season of 10-12 games before they had to red-shirt for an injury, and now they get another extra season. OTOH last season and this season will be shortened due to COVID. So a player could start with ~5.3. seasons, reduced by the number of games that were canceled last year and this year.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/22/20 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caitlin Clark with a triple double 13 points, 13 boards, 10 assists in 28 minutes of action against Western Illinois.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/22/20 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Caitlin Clark with a triple double 13 points, 13 boards, 10 assists in 28 minutes of action against Western Illinois.

She’s the real deal. Will need to bulk up a bit over the next for years , but I definitely see the next Allie Quigley!

PostPosted: 12/22/20 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This class is extremely rare and special. Bueckers and Clark are the two best guards in the country. Brink and Westbeld are among the top 5 Power Forward prospects, and Cardoso is among the elite of post players.

Those 5 alone make the upcoming draft look like a High School team.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/23/20 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
This class is extremely rare and special. Bueckers and Clark are the two best guards in the country. Brink and Westbeld are among the top 5 Power Forward prospects, and Cardoso is among the elite of post players.

I agree. I just hope Q can develop Cardoso the way she needs. Her skill and ability to run the floor at her size, is insane.

And, I know I'm a total UCONN homer, but I'd Alliyah Edwards to the list of power forwards. She isn't in the top 5 now, but she will be for sure. She is going to be special.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/23/20 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

She’s the real deal. Will need to bulk up a bit over the next for years , but I definitely see the next Allie Quigley!

I would hope better than that ...

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/23/20 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I would hope better than that ...

Given the triple double, it seems obvious that Sabrina Ionescu is who Caitlin Clark should aspire to be (and hopefully ends up becoming in some form). They play the same position(s) and seem to be the same size, with perhaps similar levels of athleticism. Incidentally, they were also both ranked #4 in their respective ESPN Hoopgurlz recruiting classes.

Colerr

PostPosted: 12/23/20 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Diamond Johnson of Rutgers is the real deal also. Averaging 17.5 ppg on 53% shooting, and 48% from 3.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/23/20 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pistol Paige Bueckers against Villanova: 19, 6, 5.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NkGJQXwbWes" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, HERE is a good analytical article with videos about Pistol from SBNation:

Quote:
Bueckers is a freshman unlike any other at a program that knows a thing or two about otherworldly talents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: