RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Impact Freshmen Aplenty
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/25/20 5:48 pm    ::: Impact Freshmen Aplenty Reply Reply with quote

Lots fo Freshmen getting opportunities early and making an impact in their first college games:
-Vanessa De Jesus going for 13 and 4 assists in her first game as Kara Lawson and Duke's new starting point guard.
-Iowa State started 3 freshmen - Lexi Donarski, Emily Ryan and Kylie Feuerbach - moving 2 returning starters to the bench. They didn't score much but they did combine for 16 rebounds, 10 assists and 6 blocks.
-Olivia Cochrane and Hailey Van Lith got starts for Louisville and combined for 30 points and 16 rebounds.
-Deja Kelly and Kennedy Todd-Williams started in the backcourt for UNC and combined for 31 points, 13 rebounds and 7 assists.
-Cameron Brink, Jana Van Guytenbeek and Agnes-Emma Nnopu came off the bench for 34 points, 16 rebounds and 6 assists on 11-17 shooting - including 17 and 9 rebounds for Brink - for Stanford.
-Gabby Elliott led Clemson to their first win of the season with 23 points and 6 rebounds.

And that's barely half-way through day one! Very exciting. I'll keep the list going.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 11/26/20 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/25/20 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

-Georgia Amoore started at point for Virginia Tech and lead them with 19 points on 4-7 3 point shooting.
-ASU started freshmen at point at center, in Jadden Simmons and Katelyn Levings, respectively.
-The Cailtin Clark era in Iowa started with a 27 point, 8 rebound performance, while post Sharon Goodman came off the bench for 9 and 5 to go with 2 blocks.
-Amaya Oliver and Madison Campbell started for USC, going for 17 points and 16 rebounds, and a game-high 19 points on 5 3s, respectively.
-Greek national Ioanna Chatzileonti got the start for Kansas, finishing with 15 points on 7-8 shooting.
-Cal started 3 freshmen in Dalayah Daniels - 10 points and 12 rebounds - Ornela Muca and Fatou Samb. Leading returning scorer Jazlen Green did not play in the 8 point loss.
-Washington started a freshman backcourt of Jayda Noble and Tameiya Sadler, who combined for 20 and 12.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 11/28/20 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel Reese, Maryland’s highly touted Freshman, scored 20 pts, added 9 RBs, 2 blocks and 1 steal in her debut yesterday against Davidson.

All this in 15 minutes on the court! She got into foul trouble early and often, so she spent most of the game on the sidelines.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/28/20 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the mids, it looks like JMU has a serious impact freshman class. I've been impressed by Jamia Hazell and Steph Ouderkirk in particular after just one game.

PostPosted: 11/28/20 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In Tenn's first game against over-matched W KY,

--Marta Suarez had 11 pts on 4-9 shooting with 6 RB's and 4 assists, and also showed good footwork, court awareness, and decision-making esp for a Fr. She'll be in the running for SEC FPOY as well as the steal of the Fr. class if she continues to play like this.
--Destiny Salary with 10 points, 6 RB's, and 3 steals, but also had 3 TO's. She's going to be a big part of Tenn's PG rotation this year.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/28/20 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maddie Krull started at point for South Dakota against South Carolina. She was six for nine shooting, with 12 points total.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/29/20 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
Maddie Krull started at point for South Dakota against South Carolina. She was six for nine shooting, with 12 points total.

I agree she played a very strong game. Looks to have a great future for the Coyotes!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/30/20 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HVL is the real deal !

PostPosted: 12/01/20 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@FearTheWaveBlog: Tulane WBB moves to 2-0 with a road win over South Alabama.

Freshman Jerkaila Jordan led with her first 20 point game for the Green Wave https://twitter.com/GreenWaveWBB/status/1333862485452091397

ripleydc

PostPosted: 12/04/20 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terps’ top frosh Angel Reese was injured last night early in Maryland’s easy romp over Towson.

She left the floor on crutches and returned to the arena still on crutches and with a boot on her foot. Could be possible broken bone in her foot, no official word yet on seriousness of the injury.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/04/20 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like HVL's game, but tonight she was flustered at times by DePaul. She couldn't handle the full court pressure although she made them pay for overcompensating others on the fast break. It'll be interesting to see if top teams press as Evans seems more of a natural 2 than point.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/05/20 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
I like HVL's game, but tonight she was flustered at times by DePaul. She couldn't handle the full court pressure although she made them pay for overcompensating others on the fast break. It'll be interesting to see if top teams press as Evans seems more of a natural 2 than point.

Which does not bode well for her at the next level at 5-6. So far her scoring to passing ratio has been solid, definitely an improvement from last year, but she really needs to prove that she can game manage if she wants to be a high draft pick. So look for most of that ball pressure to land on her shoulders.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/07/20 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After 4 games ND's Maddy Westbeld is leading the team in scoring (17.5 ppg) and rebounding (6.8 rpg). She's tied for 2nd in number of assists (12, just one behind Dara Mabrey's 13), and is 2nd on the team in steals (8, just one behind Peoples' 9).

The only game she scored less than 18 points in was the opener on the road, and that's because she got into foul trouble and only played 16 minutes before fouling out (Freshman, 1st game of the season, on the road), yet she still scored 11.

It's not just scoring. She has a high basketball IQ and seems to know where people are going to be for passing, which is why she twice has had 4 assists in a game.

With the team trying to find itself between the new coach, the Covid requirements, players coming back at different times (Due to injury or quarantine protocols) so that they need to figure out how everyone fits together each game, her play has been the most consistent thing on this team.

Last edited by CBiebel on 12/08/20 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/07/20 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cailtin Clark is the B1G Player of the Week after being the first freshman since 2016 to have 30 points and 13 assists in a game.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/08/20 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This freshman class is just loaded with talent-you love to see it. These kids have been through a lot. No HS state championships(a lot of them), proms, graduations, skip days. Now their first year is spent with COVID, no fans, seclusion. These kids will be well prepared for the rigors of the WNBA by 2024.

I know a lot has been made about Paige Bueckers, and as a UCONN fan I'm very excited about her, but this thread has made me especially excited to see what her and Alliyah Edwards will be like. I don't think either one of them will have a freshman year like HVL or Caitlin Clark, simply because that's never happened with a freshman before besides Maya Moore....but ya never know.

Hurry up Saturday.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/09/20 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

De Jesus from Duke played about even with HVL of L'ville. Big difference was Louisville was on the winning side in a blowout. Is VDJ part of the FOTY discussion? I think so!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/09/20 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caitlin Clark lit it up against Iowa State tonight, scoring 34. She might break all of the Iowa records in her career.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/09/20 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today against the Gauchos, UCLA's German frosh big, Emily Bessoir, got 15 points, 6 rebounds, 4 steals and 2 dimes on 6-10 shooting, in 26 minutes of action. Not too shabby.

UK1996

PostPosted: 12/09/20 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Westbeld’s sister was always a solid player and a good hustler. She just never had the size for her position.

PostPosted: 12/09/20 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
De Jesus from Duke played about even with HVL of L'ville. Big difference was Louisville was on the winning side in a blowout. Is VDJ part of the FOTY discussion? I think so!

She's definitely in the running for ACC FoY, but if Caitlin Clark keeps playing like this, it won't be close on the National level.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/10/20 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

She's definitely in the running for ACC FoY, but if Caitlin Clark keeps playing like this, it won't be close on the National level.

It's too bad we have to wait so long to see Bueckers play for UConn. Bueckers was consensus pre-season FOY.

Without the coaching change at Duke, nobody would be noticing De Jesus. Duke kept the deficit under 20 for 3 quarters, and lost by less than 30 to the #2 team in the country.

~rAf
ucbart

PostPosted: 12/10/20 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

It's too bad we have to wait so long to see Bueckers play for UConn. Bueckers was consensus pre-season FOY.

Without the coaching change at Duke, nobody would be noticing De Jesus. Duke kept the deficit under 20 for 3 quarters, and lost by less than 30 to the #2 team in the country.

I loved Vanessa the first time I saw her. I text messaged Pete and said, "dude, you're going to love DeJesus at Duke." In all honesty, I expect Duke to be back in the top 5 in 4 years. With Covid and her July hiring, I don't think Kara has had enough time to land a top flight class for next fall. But by signing day 2022, I expect her to land a major haul of talent. Duke is Duke and Kara is Kara.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/10/20 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

In a Platonic sense, Bueckers may be the best freshman talent. But that doesn't mean, in a practical sense, she'll win FOY. A FOY typically puts up big numbers vis-a-vis her teammates and even nationally. Bueckers may have too many other scorers on the UConn team alone, which she facilitates with her passing, to stand out with sufficient statistics to impress FOY voters.

On the other hand, if UConn ends up being a top three ranked team and Bueckers is the point guard and one of UConn's top three scorers, she might get FOY for leading a top rated team even if she doesn't have the scoring stats of, say, a Caitlin Clark if Clark's team were much lower ranked.

On edit: Bueckers was the MVP of the 2019 FIBA U19 Tournament on a USA team that had Fran Belibi (Stanford), Aliyah Boston (SCar), Cameron Brink (Stanford), Caitlin Clark (Iowa), Queen Egbo (Baylor), Naz Hillmon (Michigan), Rhyne Howard (Kentucky), Ashley Joens (Iowa St.), Diamond Miller (Md), Celeste Taylor (Texas), and Haley Van Lith (L'ville) -- in part because she had a tournament leading 5.4 assists per game and was the second leading scorer on the USA team.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/11/20 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

I'm sitting here laughing at all the silly battles I had with you and Pete back in the day. I'm sad I didn't get to meet you in person the day I met Pete and Petedog at Coach's. I'm excited to have high quality WBB back at Duke plus meeting up with fans as we travel to catch big games.

I loved Vanessa the first time I saw her. I text messaged Pete and said, "dude, you're going to love DeJesus at Duke." In all honesty, I expect Duke to be back in the top 5 in 4 years. With Covid and her July hiring, I don't think Kara has had enough time to land a top flight class for next fall. But by signing day 2022, I expect her to land a major haul of talent. Duke is Duke and Kara is Kara.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/12/20 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i have to add Peyton McDaniel to JMU's list of impact freshmen. She exploded for 30 points against George Mason and followed it up with a 19 point game against George Washington. She is also getting stronger defensively.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: