RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

"My Voice Matters"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/09/20 8:47 am    ::: "My Voice Matters" Reply Reply with quote

Nice article about Niele Ivey, Kara Lawson & Felicia Legette-Jack and what their voices mean to their players & the country.

Quote:
Asked if she’s worried about alienating fans by refusing to stick to sports, Ivey laughed.

“We don’t have fans this year,” she cracked before turning serious again. “I hope I attract the right crowd, people who believe in Notre Dame and support our players on the court but also their passions off the court, who understand our team message. If we lose fans, I’ll have to live with that — because it’s important to be authentic for my players.”

I know one guy that has been bitching about the players and coaches speaking out since ND came out in the "I can't breathe" shirts. He has told me that him and his wife won't go to the games if ND doesn't "stop this crap." This is a guy that misses Wednesday night games to attend church.

Quote:
“We’ve all gotta join in when we’re being uplifted like this,” she says. “What I hear right now is so many wonderful voices speaking my language — but you’ve gotta speak because you have something to say, not just because you hear other people talking.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/12/09/dukes-kara-lawson-notre-dames-niele-ivey-plan-create-change/3719928001/ Rolling Eyes

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/09/20 12:21 pm    ::: Re: "My Voice Matters" Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Nice article about Niele Ivey, Kara Lawson & Felicia Legette-Jack and what their voices mean to their players & the country.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/12/09/dukes-kara-lawson-notre-dames-niele-ivey-plan-create-change/3719928001/

“Equality, in theory, is a basic principal. But in practice, for our country, it’s been very complicated,” Lawson said, adding that Black men and women experience a daily anxiety as they wake up “knowing that on your drive to school or your drive to work, going to a restaurant, sitting in your house, or hanging out with your friends at the park, that could be your last moment on earth.” She spoke of the anger and loneliness Black Americans regularly feel as they watch “week after week, month after month, our brothers and sisters being shot in broad daylight and nothing being done.”

Lawson, a self-described introvert, says now there was no question that she would speak that day on campus. The men’s program invited her, but she’s used to it, too: Her career has been defined by a series of firsts, and as someone who’s broken barriers for women and women of color in spaces typically dominated by white men, she “very much understands the gravity” of not only her situation and the position she holds, but how her voice can carry into other arenas.

taropatch

PostPosted: 12/09/20 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephanie White and her Vanderbilt squad skip the national anthem.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/529484-vanderbilt-womens-basketball-team-to-skip-anthem-to-mourn-racial-injustices

Quote:
"We are grateful for each other, our University and this country and for the opportunities they provide us in our efforts to pursue change. For the national anthem this year, we have chosen to stay in our locker room as a team to mourn and commemorate the racial injustices that have been taking place in the United States," the team said.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/10/20 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Stephanie White and her Vanderbilt squad skip the national anthem.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/529484-vanderbilt-womens-basketball-team-to-skip-anthem-to-mourn-racial-injustices

Quote:
"We are grateful for each other, our University and this country and for the opportunities they provide us in our efforts to pursue change. For the national anthem this year, we have chosen to stay in our locker room as a team to mourn and commemorate the racial injustices that have been taking place in the United States," the team said.

Ugh. Skipping the anthem...never mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: