RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/10/20 12:23 pm    ::: AP Poll Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll

Quote:
1 South Carolina

PostPosted: 11/11/20 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting to see 4 Pac 12 teams in the Top Ten. Cool

Also interesting to see Mississippi St. ranked so highly without Vic.

PostPosted: 11/12/20 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does someone want to tell them that UCONN moved conferences Very Happy ?

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/12/20 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Ya know what else is fun about the Pac-12? The POY race. There are so many good players and so many potentially great young players. That's been a 1-woman race for 3 years. All eyes have been on Sabrina for so long, I'm curious to see where this goes.

As for Mississippi State, I'm a little surprised, too. But they have a ton of talent and who would you move ahead of them?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/12/20 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Does someone want to tell them that UCONN moved conferences Very Happy ?

That made me do a double take as well. Seriously...

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/12/20 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Ya know what else is fun about the Pac-12? The POY race. There are so many good players and so many potentially great young players. That's been a 1-woman race for 3 years. All eyes have been on Sabrina for so long, I'm curious to see where this goes.

4 if you count Plum's PoY season.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/12/20 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see why Northwestern is getting so much love while Rutgers isn't getting any. I see them being very similar teams - one great scorer, solid backcourt, no proven interior game. NW is coming off a great season, but they lost everything inside; I just find it puzzling that they're getting 271 votes while Rutgers is only getting 1. Shit, Arizona State got more votes than them and they're looking the weakest they have in 2 decades.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/15/20 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:

As for Mississippi State, I'm a little surprised, too. But they have a ton of talent and who would you move ahead of them?

POY in P12 is between McDonald and Onyenwere. Unless a Freshman is really, really, really outstanding, it will go to one of them.

And Oregon is under-rated. They will be very, very good if they can stay healthy - especially Sabally and Prince. Good guard depth as well.

P12 teams seem to have not put out schedules yet though which makes me nervous.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 11/30/20 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=2

South Carolina still #1

Texas A&M up to #12

Indiana up to #13

Iowa State down to #23

Texas in
Notre Dame out

PostPosted: 12/01/20 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:

POY in P12 is between McDonald and Onyenwere. Unless a Freshman is really, really, really outstanding, it will go to one of them.

And Oregon is under-rated. They will be very, very good if they can stay healthy - especially Sabally and Prince. Good guard depth as well.

P12 teams seem to have not put out schedules yet though which makes me nervous.

I think Mikesell and/or Prince will be in discussion as well. As will the best player on Stanford.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/01/20 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

No respect for the sophomores? Confused As far as seniors go, you left out one of your own in Kianna Williams. Shocked

myrtle wrote:

I was high on Oregon’s potential 6 months ago.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/01/20 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 12/01/20 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

I think Mikesell and/or Prince will be in discussion as well. As will the best player on Stanford.

Haven’t seen enough of Prince to say, but Mikesell no way. All she does is shoot three and rarely goes to the line. And when she’s cold she’s icey cold.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/01/20 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Haven’t seen enough of Prince to say, but Mikesell no way. All she does is shoot three and rarely goes to the line. And when she’s cold she’s icey cold.

I would not be shocked to see it maybe-possibly go to Charisma Osborne, either. And if you've now read this and it ends up coming to pass, then you should not be shocked either.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/01/20 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stanford on a three week 'timeout' and supposedly not even able to practice at all, at least at home. Will obviously be a handicap. UConn at least is practicing in 'pods'. Maybe something can be worked out, but right now we can't do anything at all. At this point, not sure if the rules prevent them from travelling elsewhere to practice and/or play games.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 12/01/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
stanford on a three week 'timeout' and supposedly not even able to practice at all, at least at home. Will obviously be a handicap. UConn at least is practicing in 'pods'. Maybe something can be worked out, but right now we can't do anything at all. At this point, not sure if the rules prevent them from travelling elsewhere to practice and/or play games.

The Stanford men are in Ashville today losing a close but foul-filled game vs UNC. I heard that anyone returning to Santa Clara County must quarantine for 2 weeks. Maybe the men will not go back home and the women will join them somewhere to practice and play their home games?

pilight

PostPosted: 12/07/20 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford up to #1

Louisville up to #2

Michigan up to #19

Gonzaga down to #25

South Dakota State in
Iowa State out

PostPosted: 12/07/20 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't think Stanford is a #1, at least at this point in the season. Other than Haley Jones, there wasn't much greatness. Lots of depth but that's not enough.

Of course I guess somebody has to sit there and so far we haven't seen anybody who really deserves it IMO.

The thing about the poll that really caught my eye is that Kentucky actually moved up based on that pretty horrible performance against Indiana!

- Amanda Gorman
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/07/20 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Stanford up to #1

Louisville up to #2

Michigan up to #19

Gonzaga down to #25

South Dakota State in
Iowa State out

I do not agree with leaving UConn in the poll without playing ANY games. Yeah, all of the "up" and "down" in the poll is based on how the team is performing compared to preseason ranking. I acknowledge that preseason ranking tries to place teams where we think they will be. I don't care about the reason, NO games is NO games and pre-season ranking should fly out the window at this point.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 12/07/20 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I really don't think Stanford is a #1, at least at this point in the season.

Now, Murdle....you KNOW it's that danged West Coast Bias that bumps them up there by mere attrition. Laughing Laughing Laughing

It really was a bit of a Musical Chairs this week. But that's the preseason, right? I agree...UConn is riding on some imagined laurels right now, but they've earned their respectability, historically speaking.

Now, regarding Oregon: I've only been able to watch one game (vs. Seattle). Obviously, different talent levels and not close, but I was hugely impressed with Kelly's *pieces*....I can't see why Oregon won't be Top 5 before long. They've got a lot of chemistry to reconstruct, but dang! The talent is there!

PostPosted: 12/08/20 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Stanford up to #1

Louisville up to #2

Michigan up to #19

Gonzaga down to #25

South Dakota State in
Iowa State out

I do not agree with leaving UConn in the poll without playing ANY games. Yeah, all of the "up" and "down" in the poll is based on how the team is performing compared to preseason ranking. I acknowledge that preseason ranking tries to place teams where we think they will be. I don't care about the reason, NO games is NO games and pre-season ranking should fly out the window at this point.

LOL someone's salty that their team's cupcake wins weren't recognized LoL LoL will Duke even be a .500 team in the ACC Twisted Evil

linkster

PostPosted: 12/08/20 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Stanford up to #1

Louisville up to #2

Michigan up to #19

Gonzaga down to #25

South Dakota State in
Iowa State out

But they don't get forgotten for teams like Stanford. Why else are they No 1 but for their pre-season rank? Who have they beaten that is ranked or even close to ranked? How is USF not ranked while MssSt is if not for pre-season polls?
These teams are being ranking by perception and a lot of that perception is from last season and personnel changes in the program. Based on that alone I'd put UConn a couple of slots lower but what the hell difference does it make at this point.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/09/20 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's very true that preseason rankings have a large and persistent impact on future rankings -- because if you're doing rankings, you have to start somewhere. You can't begin the season thinking all teams are created equal, because then every undefeated team is the same. So you go off those preseason guesses until it becomes clear how accurate they are.

This year, given everything, voters may never be able to move past preseason rankings because of lack of intersectional play, among other things.

Then again, rankings are pretty meaningless, all in all. They're just fun to argue about.

PostPosted: 12/09/20 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's very true that preseason rankings have a large and persistent impact on future rankings -- because if you're doing rankings, you have to start somewhere....Then again, rankings are pretty meaningless, all in all. They're just fun to argue about.

AND....last season's record is somewhat relevant too, no? Pollsters no doubt do *some* consideration of how a team's season played out last year, and also what was lost to graduation, etc.

It's just a starting point, and yes....fun to argue about. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/10/20 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/11/20 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Stanford up to #1

Louisville up to #2

Michigan up to #19

Gonzaga down to #25

South Dakota State in
Iowa State out

LOL someone's salty that their team's cupcake wins weren't recognized LoL LoL will Duke even be a .500 team in the ACC Twisted Evil

Wait...you think that I think Duke should be ranked right now??? LOL. That is flat out silly. Kara received a bare cupboard with respect to top 25 players - with the exception being Jade Williams who looked like closer to a top 100 player than a top 25 player in her first three seasons, but is now at least approaching her ranking in high school. And given the recruiting limitations based on the pandemic, it will be two seasons before Duke can even compete for a top 25 ranking.

This was simply my POV about ranking teams that have played zero games. Period. I understand others disagree and that's fine.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: