RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Has your team swapped court sides?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 12/07/20 9:11 am    ::: Has your team swapped court sides? Reply Reply with quote

I've noticed several teams (including UConn) are now sitting on the near (camera) side of the court rather than the usual far side.

In UConn's case, the seats behind the former benches are covered with advertising tarps.

This annoys me because I like to watch the bench during games and it seems like an unnecessary change.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/07/20 10:30 am    ::: Re: Has your team swapped court sides? Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
I've noticed several teams (including UConn) are now sitting on the near (camera) side of the court rather than the usual far side.

In UConn's case, the seats behind the former benches are covered with advertising tarps.

This annoys me because I like to watch the bench during games and it seems like an unnecessary change.

It could be that coaches don't want fans to watch the bench ...

In high school, some coaches try to arrange it so that parents can't sit behind the bench by putting students there.

PostPosted: 12/07/20 12:56 pm    ::: Re: Has your team swapped court sides? Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

It could be that coaches don't want fans to watch the bench ...

In high school, some coaches try to arrange it so that parents can't sit behind the bench by putting students there.

Do you think it's Covid-related? If so, why?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/07/20 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've noticed this, too. I assume it's related somehow to Covid because it so rarely happened in televised games before.
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 12/07/20 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is because of Covid. There are no fans seated in the first several rows, and since the players have to space out, there is a lot more space for them on the far side of the floor, where there is no media table taking up space in between the two sides.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/08/20 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the new AUBC at JMU, the teams are sitting socially distanced around the corners of the court, facing the camera. They are so far around the end lines it almost looks like Vanderbilt!

PostPosted: 12/17/20 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is very surreal to see Seton Hall sitting essentially where we normally perch for home games. (Not exactly where, since the bleachers are pushed in, but close enough for government work.)

PostPosted: 12/17/20 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
It is very surreal to see Seton Hall sitting essentially where we normally perch for home games. (Not exactly where, since the bleachers are pushed in, but close enough for government work.)

How ya doing with the snow down there, Queenie? I live in Syracuse, we got a dusting, and I'm not mad that I'm watching downstate and the city get hammered and not us.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/17/20 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Queenie wrote:

How ya doing with the snow down there, Queenie? I live in Syracuse, we got a dusting, and I'm not mad that I'm watching downstate and the city get hammered and not us.

Since I work from home, and was doing so before the pandemic, I am doing a thing that is sensible on all levels and staying inside, where:

-it is not snowing
-it is warm
-it is presumably not infested with COVID
-pants are encouraged but optional

I do think it is a jerk move for the kids not to have a snow day, but on the other hand a) where are you gonna go? b) nothing that imbecile does surprises me anymore and c) this is getting quite off topic

PostPosted: 12/17/20 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just took a close look at this while watching highlights of Marquette's home game yesterday and yes it appears they've moved their benches to the opposite side of the court this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: