RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Overseas accessibility vs. WNBA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/06/20 4:51 am    ::: Overseas accessibility vs. WNBA Reply Reply with quote

So far I've been able to watch oodles and oodles of overseas games via YouTube for FREE. I don't know if that's always been the case, but this has been a great service due to the pandemic. It takes me back to the WNBA and how tough it was to watch certain games if they weren't on national TV. Even some of the games that were on national TV were pushed back due to other sports such as baseball, etc. Why can't our American league be the standard on this? It seems like we should be embarrassed by being showed up by the overseas leagues..

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/06/20 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because TV contracts and subscription services make money. Something this league desperately needs. Does the NBA put all their games in YouTube for free? I don't know the economic models of the overseas leagues but good for them for placing content on YouTube.

However, the W actually did an incredible job last season and has made improvements the last few seasons to increase national TV games. You have games on ESPN, CBS Sports Network and NBATv that cover a significant portion of the schedule. If you love in a market for one of the teams, you'll likely get the full schedule on some sort of local broadcast, if you leave outside of the market, you can purchase League Pass, which is dirt cheap and archives the whole season for you. However, with the increase in national TV games, there is a huge live blackout issue there but something tells me you're not watching Euroleague games live anyway.

It is not tough to watch certain games at all, especially not last season. So again, what is your complaint? Just that the games aren't free? Because they are most definitely available.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/06/20 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, if you love YouTube so much, I believe you can purchase a YouTube Tv subscription that will get you access to ESPN, CBS sports and NBA tv if you don't have a cable service but I could be wrong. I know YouTubeTV does adds saying they carry W games, so surely that is an option.

Edited to add; you can also watch games for FREE on Twitter and Facebook if streaming free games is your thing.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/06/20 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You totally missed the bus on my post! Somebody works for the league! Rolling Eyes Free is in essence symbolic of free from bullshit rather than money. As you stated, a lot is tied into why there are so many platforms that the league has to cater to, but can be an inconvenience for fans. I had to make an account just to watch on Twitter. I couldn't find a game once and when I did, the feed wasn't working. Also WNBA.com livestreams are an absolute joke. Not every fan has a FB nor Twitter..so again, being able to watch games on YouTube where there's no catch, no subscriptions..it's just..nice! Especially during the pandemic. The league probably saved millions by not having to pay five figures to rent arenas per game so why the need to defend? The players still were pimped out by wearing sponsor names across their chests..

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/06/20 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The European leagues have a completely different business model than the WNBA -- some don't even charge admission, as I understand it.

If WNBA games were shown for free, then salaries would have to be even lower, among other things.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you read the Overseas thread, you’ll see that some of our foreign members complained that they couldn’t watch games involving their own country. That’s the same as League Pass blacking-out WNBA games in the US while making them available overseas. You're now looking at it from the reverse point of view. Aside from conflicting local contracts, it's obvious that what gets shown for free is based on underlying assumptions about the level of interest. If they think you’ll pay, they’ll ask you to pay. Note that the same thing happens with college games. You have to pay to watch the P5 conferences, and sometimes individual teams have their own contract. Meanwhile, many mid-major teams stream games for free or they’re part of less expensive add-on packages.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
You totally missed the bus on my post! Somebody works for the league! Rolling Eyes Free is in essence symbolic of free from bullshit rather than money. As you stated, a lot is tied into why there are so many platforms that the league has to cater to, but can be an inconvenience for fans. I had to make an account just to watch on Twitter. I couldn't find a game once and when I did, the feed wasn't working. Also WNBA.com livestreams are an absolute joke. Not every fan has a FB nor Twitter..so again, being able to watch games on YouTube where there's no catch, no subscriptions..it's just..nice! Especially during the pandemic. The league probably saved millions by not having to pay five figures to rent arenas per game so why the need to defend? The players still were pimped out by wearing sponsor names across their chests..

I don't think I missed the bus at all. You clearly want free, easily available content on your terms. You enjoy watching free live games on YouTube. That's wonderful. The W has made their games available in countless ways across a variety of media. Yet you want to complain that you have to sign up for Twitter? I don't have a FB or a Twitter and I was still able to watch the games. Sorry you haven't had the same luck.

I don't work for the league, if I did, I'm sure my response would have been much more pleasant. I just find it irritating how much complaining goes into the league we all clearly enjoy and want to survive, making money.

Also, plenty of games are available on YouTube from the history of the league.

Could things be better? Yes. But W games are most definitely available to you. Sorry you can't seem to find them.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/06/20 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 12/06/20 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Euroleague games are free to see on the fiba youtube channel. Years ago it was a lot harder to watch games. They werent always livestreams available like now

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: