RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rhyne Howard suspended
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/25/20 4:00 pm    ::: Rhyne Howard suspended Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30387681/kentucky-wildcats-rhyne-howard-suspended-2-games-not-upholding-standars

Interesting start for interim coach Kyra Lezy and the preseason player of the year

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/25/20 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like Elzy is setting the tone early. Suspended 2 players already. It's good that she clearly won't treat her star differently from the rest of the team.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/25/20 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Sounds like Elzy is setting the tone early. Suspended 2 players already. It's good that she clearly won't treat her star differently from the rest of the team.

Kyra is a Pat Summit product. Pat didn't put up with any s*** and I don't expect Kyra to either,

PostPosted: 11/26/20 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Kyra is a Pat Summit product. Pat didn't put up with any s*** and I don't expect Kyra to either,

Kick her ass off!

taropatch

PostPosted: 11/26/20 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rhyne is unapologetically suspended.

Baylor starter Queen Egbo never got to play in today's opener either.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 11/26/20 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a very troubling start for the Elzy era at Kentucky. Maybe the best player in America you do not let get to this point. And I unapologetically say that. Mitchell will return on a white horse and save the cluster in a year.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/26/20 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
As Howard demonstrated with her activism the past few months, she is up to the task.

The actions taken by the Kentucky team this offseason haven’t come without criticism from those with opposing views, some who were fans of the program. But Howard isn’t apologizing.

Some fans said they didn’t want to be a part of our family anymore,” Howard said. “That’s fine with me. We’re still going to go out, we’re still going to focus on us.”

Howard added: “This is definitely going to be a year where we use our voices.”

Kentucky is the land of the people who would keep Mitch McConnell in office.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/26/20 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
This is a very troubling start for the Elzy era at Kentucky. Maybe the best player in America you do not let get to this point. And I unapologetically say that. Mitchell will return on a white horse and save the cluster in a year.

This is a great point. One of the very first things any new coach needs to do is establish good relations with the best players -- and in this case, one of the best players in the nation.

So either Howard is a major problem and Elzy couldn't make it work no matter how hard she tried, or Elzy failed by letting it get to this point. Any coach can establish control in a program in other ways than suspending the superstar ...

PostPosted: 11/26/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since we have no idea what Howard did to provoke the suspension, it's rather difficult to say that Elzy was in the wrong here.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/26/20 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Since we have no idea what Howard did to provoke the suspension, it's rather difficult to say that Elzy was in the wrong here.

Precisely. I didn't notice any links to any sources that cited her as 'unapologetic', nor did I see anything published about why. Since Elzy recruited her, and has known her throughout her time at KY, I can't see how it's about a coach and a player not respecting each other. Elzy probably had a valid reason, and Howard is still a human being....a YOUNG one, at that. Razz

PostPosted: 11/27/20 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

And might I add, that this is so 2020. If this had happened 15 years ago, Elzy would be applauded for taking a stand and not letting a player be out of control. But, that's not the world we live in anymore.

I say, good for Elzy for setting the tone. And not for nothing, Mitchell hasn't had a great record of keeping players and turnover and there have long been rumors that there was trouble brewing in Lexington, which seemed to have calmed down as of late.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/27/20 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elzy could be, and most probably is, in the right on this ...

But still, if there's any player you want to be on the same page with, it's your best player.

PostPosted: 11/27/20 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
And might I add, that this is so 2020. If this had happened 15 years ago, Elzy would be applauded for taking a stand and not letting a player be out of control. But, that's not the world we live in anymore.

We've discovered that coaches aren't always right.

That having been said, if the coach was white and/or male people would be less likely to jump to the player's side

PostPosted: 11/27/20 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Exactly. It could be any number of things, academic or social. People calling for the heads of one or the other need to STFU and let the coach and the player work this out. This means YOU, Lillian and ucbart, to name a couple. Just leave it alone already. it ain't your fight.

PostPosted: 11/28/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Rhyne is unapologetically suspended.

Baylor starter Queen Egbo never got to play in today's opener either.

MISSING QUEEN

Queen Egbo, the junior 6-foot-3 center for Baylor, didn't play in the game, and Mulkey said little to explain why.

"Yeah, there's a reason. And she knows what it is, and I'll leave it at that," Mulkey said after the game.

https://www.startribune.com/no-4-baylor-women-5-in-double-figures-in-82-37-win-over-uca/573201291/

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 11/28/20 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Exactly. It could be any number of things, academic or social. People calling for the heads of one or the other need to STFU and let the coach and the player work this out. This means YOU, Lillian and ucbart, to name a couple. Just leave it alone already. it ain't your fight.

Summertime I would bet I have coached, played, and forgot more than you know. To tell me or any of these other posters to STFU show just a couple of things.

1. You have no idea who you are talking to.
2. You are not real smart.

Sorry to the rest of the board about having to spank the children in public.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/28/20 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Summertime I would bet I have coached, played, and forgot more than you know. To tell me or any of these other posters to STFU show just a couple of things.

Well, look at YOU! Whoop de s***! I don't really care WHO you are, or think you are. This is a thing that is between a player and a coach and it's not up to YOU or anyone else to stick your oar in and tell them how to run things or what to do. The coach will handle it her way. And you are not spanking anyone, least of all me, so you can forget about that right now.

PostPosted: 11/29/20 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Well, look at YOU! Whoop de s***! I don't really care WHO you are, or think you are. This is a thing that is between a player and a coach and it's not up to YOU or anyone else to stick your oar in and tell them how to run things or what to do. The coach will handle it her way. And you are not spanking anyone, least of all me, so you can forget about that right now.

Exactly! How dare people talk about something on a message board!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/29/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IOW, it's okay for Kim Mulkey to suspend (arguably) her best player, but not for Kyra Elzy (who, I might remind you has been with the UK program as associate HC/AC for several years) to do the same? It's not like they don't know each other. Anyway, nobody here has any idea what Howard did to earn the suspension. That was my point. It's up to them to work it out, just like it's up to any other coach and player. Calling for the head of either one is stupid.

PostPosted: 11/29/20 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
IOW, it's okay for Kim Mulkey to suspend (arguably) her best player, but not for Kyra Elzy (who, I might remind you has been with the UK program as associate HC/AC for several years) to do the same? It's not like they don't know each other. Anyway, nobody here has any idea what Howard did to earn the suspension. That was my point. It's up to them to work it out, just like it's up to any other coach and player. Calling for the head of either one is stupid.

Where did ANYONE say it was okay for Kim to do what she did but not Kyra? Maybe this situation gathers more discussion because it involves the Preseason POTY? But please, continue to irrationally pop off.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/30/20 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Where did ANYONE say it was okay for Kim to do what she did but not Kyra? Maybe this situation gathers more discussion because it involves the Preseason POTY? But please, continue to irrationally pop off.

Maybe if you read the whole thread, you would see it.

PostPosted: 12/01/20 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Wow. Rule of thumb: if you're going to insult someone's intelligence on a message board, at least use proper grammar while doing it.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/02/20 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In hindsight, it's really nobodies business except the coach and her player when it comes to discipline. I support Elzy. I hope Howard learns/learned her lesson. Upward and onward hopefully!

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/02/20 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, Howard was suspended. We don't know exactly why so it is hard to know who was "right" but what we do know is that Kentucky won both of their games over Murray State and Belmont. The real test starts tomorrow night with Kansas St and Sunday against Indiana.

Is there any lingering animosity? Does the team pull together? Does Howard play like a player of the year candidate?

I'll stick with my initial comment that this is "interesting." I don't ascribe any racialor gender issues and I don't think the people of Kentucky should be disparaged over this.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 12/05/20 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Wow. Rule of thumb: if you're going to insult someone's intelligence on a message board, at least use proper grammar while doing it.

I will choose how I want to insult someone as I please grammar police. You aint real smart yourself for trying to point this out. Well you might be smart in grammar, but not basketball and how it works. Sorta like Summertime, just in different ways.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: